Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Facial Tics and Meditation

AllbuddhaBoundAllbuddhaBound Veteran
edited December 2010 in Meditation
I have a facial tic that has plagued me since childhood. It has become so strong that I don't even notice when it occurs. It would be almost funny to see peoples reaction to me if it wasn't so damaging socially.

My kids describe my face as intense or severe. I have had little kids tell me that I am weird. Some people have assumed that I have evil intentions when I look at them and assumptions are made about my motives.

I have meditated for a number of years but it doesn't seem to have any effect on this nervous tic. Has anyone else experienced a problem like this? Is there a way one can meditate to help themselves through this?

I think I put this in the wrong area. Could a mod move it to the meditation area please?

Comments

• conradcookconradcook Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Well, this isn't meditative; but one thing you could do is tell people, early on, "You've probably noticed I have a facial tic. So what my face is doing doesn't always reflect what I'm thinking and feeling. I hope it doesn't bother you."

Buddha bless,

Conrad.
  • edited November 2010
    My wife has had tics since childhood and many in her family have various tics. Do you know others in your family that have similar tics? In my wife's case, we believe it is a certain inherited disposition. The tics become worse during times of stress.

What has worked for her in conjunction with sitting is active relaxation. To do this, you consciously tense the muscle that has the tic. If it is your forehead or whichever part of your face, just scrunch it up and hold until you become too tired to continue. Then let go and say "Ahhhh". Then just sit quietly and feel become gently aware of your face. You can do this multiple times until the tic subsides. A tic is a powerful habit that both gains power by repetition and loses power by not being repeated. If you spend some time like this consciously gaining control over it in a non-aggressive way, you will notice that it lessens over time. Don't be discouraged.
  • AllbuddhaBoundAllbuddhaBound Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Thank you both for your input. Both are well worth exploring.
  • edited November 2010
    In childhood I was diagnosed with Tourette's syndrome. It's commonly believed (and portrayed on TV) as a disorder that makes people swear uncontrollably. Commonly it results in facial and sometimes full body 'tics' or 'twitches'. I was mercilessly ridiculed in grade school for it. I was fortunate that as I aged my nervous system 'repaired' itself.

It's very simply a disorder of the nervous system (not saying you have Tourette's) that results in one or more muscles normally volitionally controlled activating without volitional control. It's really a great big no big deal in terms of who and what a person is, but it does lend itself to misinterpretation to those who don't recognize it for what it is.

Have you talked about this with a doctor? There may (or may not) be a medication worth considering to alleviate the symptom. In no way am I suggesting this is a disorder really worthy of being 'fixed' as any human worth knowing will accept you exactly as you are, but if it results in your feeling more comfortable socially it may be something to consider.

In the meantime why not just buy yourself a smart ass T-Shirt saying something silly about your facial tick? Sometimes a little laugh at ourselves for being human is good therapy.
    edited November 2010
    username_5 wrote: »
    In childhood I was diagnosed with Tourette's syndrome. It's commonly believed (and portrayed on TV) as a disorder that makes people swear uncontrollably. Commonly it results in facial and sometimes full body 'tics' or 'twitches'. I was mercilessly ridiculed in grade school for it. I was fortunate that as I aged my nervous system 'repaired' itself.

It's very simply a disorder of the nervous system (not saying you have Tourette's) that results in one or more muscles normally volitionally controlled activating without volitional control. It's really a great big no big deal in terms of who and what a person is, but it does lend itself to misinterpretation to those who don't recognize it for what it is.

Have you talked about this with a doctor? There may (or may not) be a medication worth considering to alleviate the symptom. In no way am I suggesting this is a disorder really worthy of being 'fixed' as any human worth knowing will accept you exactly as you are, but if it results in your feeling more comfortable socially it may be something to consider.

In the meantime why not just buy yourself a smart ass T-Shirt saying something silly about your facial tick? Sometimes a little laugh at ourselves for being human is good therapy.

I know that accepting ourselves as we are is important, but I find people (even Buddhists) are uncomfortable and don't trust. This fear of my tic makes my life more difficult.

If at all possible, I would prefer not to use medication. I have considered it as well however. Would just like to try a more natural approach. If it doesn't work, then I will definitely consider medication.
  • edited November 2010
    If at all possible, I would prefer not to use medication. I have considered it as well however. Would just like to try a more natural approach. If it doesn't work, then I will definitely consider medication.

Well, I am at a loss to be of any real help. I can tell you that with Tourettes I was able to control my tics, but barely and it required enormous attention to not allowing my muscles to twitch. It required an all encompassing attention.

Certainly you can redouble your efforts to gain physical control over the twitch, but I suspect you already realize it's pretty near futile.

What this leaves is that the twitch is either purely brain/neurology based in which case nothing other than (maybe) medication or a surgery is going to fix it or it may be purely or at least partially psychological in which case you may get some aid with a psychotherapist, but realistically not every therapist is going to have even the first clue about your tic.

As best you can I would encourage self acceptance first and everything else second. Seriously, there is nothing at all wrong with a person just because they have a little twitch. It's a great big no big deal. Sure, lots of people won't initially understand it and so it's a burden, but most people with any maturity at all will readily accept it and not care about it at all.

It says nothing about who you are as a person.
  • edited November 2010
    If you can afford it, hypnotherapy may be the way to go. I am an hypnotherapist myself. I've seen a very impressive cure of a facial tic in a ten-minute exercise on a female hypnotherapy student. The exercise involved generic "inner child" work under hypnosis... and it wasn't even the intention of the exercise- it was a side-benefit I noticed in her afterwards!
  • edited November 2010
    This very respected Lama Zopa Rinpoche has a noticeable coughing tic
    that I've regretfully found "offputting" :(

Here he wears a cowboy hat

Is that a tic? Does he have tuberculosis? :confused:

idjR2s.jpg
  • edited November 2010
    upalabhava wrote: »
    This very respected Lama Zopa Rinpoche has a noticeable coughing tic
    that I've regretfully found "offputting" :(

I am not sure if that is a tic so much as a mannerism. I have found it extremely common amongst Tibetan teachers to constantly clear their throats during teachings.
    edited November 2010
    Zos-Kia wrote: »
    If you can afford it, hypnotherapy may be the way to go. I am an hypnotherapist myself. I've seen a very impressive cure of a facial tic in a ten-minute exercise on a female hypnotherapy student. The exercise involved generic "inner child" work under hypnosis... and it wasn't even the intention of the exercise- it was a side-benefit I noticed in her afterwards!

I heard that hypnotherapy can be very effective with tics actually.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited December 2010
    I had a boyfriend when I was a teenager with profound facial tics (Tourettes was ruled out) and he eventually overcame them with hypnotherapy. I missed the tics but I never told him that. They were incredibly endearing.
    [Deleted User]