Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

New forum software

2»

Comments

• lightwithinlightwithin Veteran
    edited May 2010
    The forums were down today for a while and I couldn't help but think "I'll be damned! Lincoln is already making the switch!" haha.
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited May 2010
    1) THE CATEGORIES WILL STILL BE LISTED ON THE FRONT PAGE IN THE SIDEBAR

Oh pssh then who cares, it's essentially the same thing with the bonus of having the newest posts listed at the same time. That's an improvement. What're we complaining about exactly? :confused:
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited May 2010
    The forums were down today for a while and I couldn't help but think "I'll be damned! Lincoln is already making the switch!" haha.

Yeah, I tried to get on Saturday night, and I kept getting "database error" messages. What happened, Linc? Were you doing maintenance on it?

Palzang
  • LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    edited May 2010
    The server's main hard drive was full. It's a long-term issue that we keep coming up with short-term solutions for. :-/ I was away at a bachelor party so Brian had to sort it out on his own.
  • edited May 2010
    Do you guys have your own server, or does a company host them for you?
    edited May 2010
    NewBuddhist is on a dedicated server along with Icrontic.com. We run it ourselves.
    edited May 2010
    Lincoln wrote: »
    along with Icrontic.com.

I stopped by Icrontic.com and I have to say, I thought the site was very well put together and seems cool from what little I saw.

I feel more at ease now about the forum software being changed, as I see you know what you're doing! LoL.
  • edited May 2010
    Thank you, Lincoln and Brian, for running this wonderful forum!

Incidentally I am also running a VBulletin-based forum. I had used Invision Power Board before (also a commercial product) and phBB before that. I am quite happy with the VBulletin. It complex and huge, but it's also scalable, flexible, and very configurable. It was the last property that convinced me to switch to VBulletin. VBulletin offers you a million settings for fine adjustment of (almost) every imaginable feature. This reduces the necessity for hacks and mods. I don't know Vanilla 2, never worked with it, but I think that almost everything that was mentioned in this thread can be implemented with VBulletin.

Cheers, Thomas
    edited May 2010
    Hi Thomas, welcome to NB. I know vBulletin inside and out; I've used it extensively over the last decade as both member and administrator. While it may be possible to do anything I want with vBulletin, it's also possible to cut drywall with a hammer - but that doesn't make it the right tool for the job. :)
  • edited May 2010
    Are you planning to switch soon? Does Vanilla 2 offer a data migration tool?

Cheers, Thomas
    edited May 2010
    I'm helping to write the data migration tool. :D Timeline is undetermined at the moment; still several things to sort out and it depends on my available time.
  • LesCLesC Bermuda Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Just a "THANKS" for all the long and thankless hours you put in on our behalf.
  • edited June 2010
    I'm helping to write the data migration tool. :D Timeline is undetermined at the moment; still several things to sort out and it depends on my available time.

I see. Good idea to contribute. I can appreciate the time and effort it all takes since I did similar projects in the past. Once again, thanks for creating this space.

Cheers, Thomas
    edited June 2010
    Yeah Lincoln, I've been giving you a lot of sh1t about the software switch and that has led me to forget to just say Thanks for what you and everyone else who make this forum possible do for us. So Thanks!
  • edited November 2010
    Hey Lincoln, I met Brendan Sera-Shriar at a bar a few days ago and we were talking about NewBuddhist! He gave me some Vanilla stickers. Are you from Montreal too? He said you have a beta version up of NewBuddhist ;D. When is this going to take place?
    edited November 2010
    He gave you Vanilla stickers!? *I* can't even get Vanilla stickers! :lol:

I was working on the importer most of the day yesterday. I'll give a couple weeks notice when I'm getting close to being ready. Still need to make the theme, but otherwise we're pretty much ready.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited November 2010
    I love these cosy little chats.....:crazy:
    edited December 2010
    I'll give a couple weeks notice when I'm getting close to being ready.
    I'm close to being ready. :ninja:

I have a complete import of the site running with avatars and attachments correctly moved. All that's left is the theme.
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited December 2010
    Yay!!!
  • I don't want email from newbuddhist in my mailbox. The seeting did not carry over to new site.
    @Jeffrey From your profile, click "My Preferences" and uncheck all the boxes. It's true, preferences were reset during the migration because that was something too complex to map properly. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • Thanks for the good work, Lincoln. I have to say for this one I find it not as user friendly and I don't want to come here to use it, but maybe it's just because I am not yet used to it. Anyway thanks.
    @Lincoln It appears that the forum is giving me back previously read threads as NEW. Even if I read them all and/or clicked on Mark All Viewed, they show up again at some point with all posts showing as new. What's up with that?

@Floating_Abu It definitely takes a bit to get used to it. See how you feel in a couple weeks.

@LesC "Mark All Viewed" currently forgets where you were. It's a plugin I wrote myself because Vanilla doesn't have a "Mark All Viewed" by default. It's a work in progress; I'm not satisfied with it either.
  • @Lincoln As you say, we must give this new look enough time: we do hate change, don't we? Two things that I miss from the old site are the OP name, "started by", and numbering of the posts within the thread.

Looking at what you have done and having relaunched an Ezboard board myself, I am aware of how much work you must have put in - and I don't even write code!

I do have a rather personal question to ask and I hope you take it as seriously and kindly meant: with all this work, are you finding time for your practice, whatever it might be? Just because we pile up the requests and gripes (as well as compliments), it doesn't mean that we should eat into time which would be good for you. The result can only be good for us too.

We now have deep snow here. The Cotswolds look like a Victorian Christmas card or Narnia so may I send you all best wishes for this Season, with renewed thanks.

P.S. Are we getting sigs back or shall we stay with this 'stripped down' format? Is it easier for those with clever phones and iPads?
  • @Floating_Abu It definitely takes a bit to get used to it. See how you feel in a couple weeks.

@LesC "Mark All Viewed" currently forgets where you were. It's a plugin I wrote myself because Vanilla doesn't have a "Mark All Viewed" by default. It's a work in progress; I'm not satisfied with it either.
    OK Linc, can I just ask one question (Sorry I'm sure you are getting inundated so just whenever is cool): Is it possible to search a user's posts (not only those discussions that they have started)

Merci,
    Abu

• While I appreciate all the hard work Lincoln put in on this, I'm noticing that empirically, I'm not coming over here as much, because it's much harder to keep track of a conversation without a usable list of my recent posts (one which shows an excerpt from each post.)

This is actually a good thing, for me. Less verbal samsara. But maybe an important factor to consider in tweaking the new design.
    edited December 2010
    @Simonthepilgrim Interestingly enough, I've found more time for practice and meditation this week than I typically do. :) No, I don't plan to bring back signatures for now. That's not really about accommodating mobile as much as keeping discussions focused on what's being said.

@fivebells @Floating_Abu There's a plugin for that I was looking at installing soon.
    edited December 2010
    There's a new tab called Participated Commented that tracks only discussions you've commented in.
    @Lincoln Where is this "Participated" tab? :)
    I just changed it to "Commented". It should be on the main page near the top.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited December 2010
    It should be just below the nav bar at the top of the front page all the way on the right, i.e., there should be four tabs: All Discussions, My Bookmarks, My Discussions and Commented.

@Lincoln I have All Discussions, My Discussions and Commented... no My Bookmarks and no Participated.
    @LesC See above, I said I just changed it to "Commented" so that's what you're looking for. ;) You will only see "My Bookmarks" if you've bookmarked any discussions, which I assume you haven't thus far.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    Hm, some of mine seem to have been bookmarked automatically.
    @Jason If you were subscribed to a thread in vBulletin (i.e. got emails about it) it's now a Bookmark.
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    Lincoln -- Thanks for all your hard work: Take a couple of gold stars out of petty cash. :)

Is there a way to delete the "bookmarked discussions" that show up on the page I first open to? They are useless to me and create clutter.
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited December 2010
    @genkaku: I believe I can answer this one. You can simply click on the lotus. Note that every time your cursor moves over a thread a faint lotus shows up. If you click, the lotus darkens and it becomes bookmarked. Now, you can go up and down your "bookmarked" threads and click on the lotuses on threads you are not interested in following. The lotuses will then be gone once you move your cursor on.
    Thanks Nirvana. I'll try it.
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited December 2010
    @genkaku: Actually, under My Bookmarks if you click on the Lotus the thread's name will even disappear. Sorry, for the inexact language.
    What you suggested works fine, though I wouldn't mind bookmarking what I wanted rather than having it done for me.
    The bookmarks are converted from vBulletin's subscriptions. You probably had vBulletin set to auto-subscribe you. Vanilla doesn't automatically bookmark anything.
    @Lincoln Is the item to remember posts you've read, anywhere near the top of the "To Do" list. It's getting to be a real drag to log on only to find all the posts I've read, show up again as unread. I don't post a lot, but I do read, and to have to wade through these again is a drag.
    Yeah, it's pretty high priority. I rolled out several changes this past weekend, but I still have a dozen or so I hope to address over the holiday.
    @Lincoln You're a good man.... I don't listen to what everyone else is saying!!! ;)
  • @Simonthepilgrim Interestingly enough, I've found more time for practice and meditation this week than I typically do. :) No, I don't plan to bring back signatures for now. That's not really about accommodating mobile as much as keeping discussions focused on what's being said.

@fivebells @Floating_Abu There's a plugin for that I was looking at installing soon.
    Lincoln Please let me know when installed, I wanna search certain users's posts and have no facility to now. I'm happy people like the new format but I admit I can't :( Merry Christmas and Happy New Year everyone though :)