Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

cannabis in Buddism

edited December 2010 in Buddhism Basics
Hello are natural drugs allowed in Buddhism.
Mainly cannabis as i have used for years.
never abused it just to enhance a feeling.
Am hoping the answer is yes as they are left on the earth.
Redfrog1971

Comments

• Unfortunately, it falls under the 5th precept - "Refrain from taking intoxicants."

It doesn't really mater that it's natural, so is mercury.

You could argue that the 5th precept only applies to alcohol.

From other topics like this, it seems like a lot of people who have used it in the past have stopped after getting into Buddhism. It doesn't look like they regret it either.
  • edited December 2010
    Oops- double post- please see below...
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited December 2010
    I think it depends what you are using it for. Medicinal marijuana is one case. It also depends how disruptive it is in the community. That is to be considered. If you do use it I recommend not dealing it, just in general wait until it is legal and you have a medical condition. Its not a big deal. But prison is.

I have no idea if it is allowed in buddhism. That would touch on whether you are a 'buddhist' if you have/have not taken all the precepts. The precepts are to keep ethical conduct which is part of all the paths of buddhism.
  • Do a search for other threads on this topic. This comes up quite regularly. They all say cannabis is inconsistent with Buddhism because it's an intoxicant.

I would point out that using cannabis to "enhance a feeling" would be particularly inconsistent with Buddhism because Buddhism is about experiencing feelings as they really are. I don't suppose you would use cannabis to enhance a negative feeling, either, which would show attachment to positive feelings.

But please do that search for the other threads on this topic.
  • Redfrog, the answer is of course is that cannabis is an intoxicant, so the precepts warn you it is to be avoided due to the tendency to heedlessness. Translated, smoking pot makes people do stupid things. That doesn't mean you can't be a Buddhist. As Buddhists, we all start from where we are at.

• Since there are no Buddhists out monitoring what other Buddhists do, ultimately it's your choice. But as noted, the 5th Precept speaks to the use of intoxicants, and there's no doubt that marijuana falls under the heading of intoxicants, no matter how pleasant or relatively free of side effects it may be for you. I think you'll find as you go further down the path however, that your need or desire for intoxicants will disappear on its own.
    dooksta123
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    No.
  • Not wishing to sound to yer but. There is a lot off historical fact to the use in buddism.
    "BUDDHISM (Tibet, India and China) - from the 5th Century B.C.E. on - ritually used cannabis; initiation rites and mystical experiences were (are) common in many Chinese Buddhist sects.
    Some Tibetan Buddhists and lamas (priests) consider cannabis their most holy plant. Many Buddhist traditions, writings, and beliefs indicate that Siddhartha (the Buddha) himself, used and ate nothing but hemp and its seeds for six years prior to announcing (discovering) his truths and becoming the Buddha (Four Noble Truths, the Eightfold Path)."
    I know my path off to enlightenment will cross the path off cannabis a lot :)
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    Buddha reconmends a clear mind, Enjoy getting high.
  • Not wishing to sound to yer but. There is a lot off historical fact to the use in buddism.
    "BUDDHISM (Tibet, India and China) - from the 5th Century B.C.E. on - ritually used cannabis; initiation rites and mystical experiences were (are) common in many Chinese Buddhist sects.
    Some Tibetan Buddhists and lamas (priests) consider cannabis their most holy plant. Many Buddhist traditions, writings, and beliefs indicate that Siddhartha (the Buddha) himself, used and ate nothing but hemp and its seeds for six years prior to announcing (discovering) his truths and becoming the Buddha (Four Noble Truths, the Eightfold Path)."
    I know my path off to enlightenment will cross the path off cannabis a lot :)
    You'll need to give us the source of that quotation. I think if it were true that there was a lot of historical fact supporting the use of cannabis in Buddhism we'd know it and the answers would have been different.

We can't stop you from mixing Buddhism and cannabis. Nobody can. You will do what you want to do. This discussion has been had many times here, and the majority opinion is that cannabis is an intoxicant. If you already knew you would keep using cannabis despite any answers you got here, why did you ask the question?

• The cannabis culture likes to throw around claims that take pure speculation and claim this proves something. Supposedly, Tantric Buddhists were puffing up a storm, and Buddha himself lived on hemp seeds, not rice grains. Any evidence of the claims, once tracked to the source, turns out to be some article written in a cannabis culture magazine by some dubious reporter.

Having a political cause if fine, but going on a Buddhist board and declaring cannabis to be a historical part of Buddhist practice isn't going to fly. Many of us probably wish it was legalized, but it's still an intoxicant.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Hello are natural drugs allowed in Buddhism.
    Mainly cannabis as i have used for years.
    never abused it just to enhance a feeling.
    Am hoping the answer is yes as they are left on the earth.
    Redfrog1971
    The succinct and brief answer is 'No', but it's up to you what you do and whether you continue to use cannabis.....
    Of course, the famous Simon & Garfunkel line comes to mind....
    "A man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest".....

Please cite a reliable source, link or quotation for your claims on Tibetan Buddhism and the current use of cannabis.

Of course, if you believe this to be true, then you can always follow Tibetan Buddhism, but bear in mind that even if this seems to fall in with your ideas on the use of cannabis, there may be more in Tibetan Buddhism with which you do not agree, and which does not sit well with you - in which case, it would be an unskillful reason for which to follow Tibetan Buddhism....that is, the fact they seem to use cannabis, and that reason alone....
    What I'm trying to say is, Buddhism is not a 'pick 'n' mix' vocation, calling or religion. You cannot follow Buddhism and decide you like this bit, so you'll go with it, but you don't like that bit, so you'll ignore it, or find something to support your ideas, so there.

The 5th precept clearly states that you should make effort to refrain from using Intoxicants. Recreational drugs fall under that category.
    This is obviously not what you want to hear.
    So I guess you may well disregard the rest.
    Advocating or promoting the use of drugs on this forum,is not something that is actively encouraged, either. ;)

• In regards to the OP the majority of buddhists are not a part of the drug culture evidently. I have known a lot of pot smokers who have some kind of spirituality and some may be buddhists.

I wouldn't try to convince you to give it up I guess, but I will echo everyone else. My pharmacy training in addictions said that its wasting words to try to push someone along the steps to recovery. The first step if I recall is to see some of the negatives as well as the positives. Or maybe it was a once sided view of negatives and then a more realistic pro and con weighing.

I recommend mindfulness or an awareness practice to get the experience of an alternative to marijuana. Or even to become more aware so you can see what YOU want out of your experience.
  • never understood that argument:

"because its in nature its supposed to be good for humans"
    dooksta123
  • edited December 2010
    By and large buddhists seem to be against it. That being said, it's up to you if you want to be a following buddhist first a personal spiritual searcher first. If you want to be the former, and follow majority opinion of buddhists, than giving it up seems to be the thing to do. If you want to be the latter, then experiment with and without and see which seems to be most beneficial to you on your own path. I have moved away from calling myself a "buddhist" and instead am a truth seeker, finding truth in various sources. Buddhist does have a lot of truth, though. What I mainly disagree with about it is how it's so adamently against doing something because it's pleasing and against any use of say pot for spiritual purposes. Taoism seems to have moved past this idea of "morality" and I think the idea of following the tao on your own journey is much better.
  • ravkesravkes Veteran
    edited December 2010
    From my experience, I realized it made me super lazy and drowsy. This transferred into life views, which transferred into doing poorly in school, which transferred into almost failing out of college. So I stopped. Realistically speaking, it's a waste of money that doesn't add any value to your life -- instead like in my experience it just creates more wrong views.

Cut off intoxicants and get to meditating. If you really wish to see things just as they are, one must plant wisdom seeds in the past to see the constant harvest in the future.
  • never understood that argument:

"because its in nature its supposed to be good for humans"
    So is curare (which will kill you in minutes), snake venom, mercury, and loads of other really nasty things. Just because man didn't invent it doesn't mean it's good for you. That's just silly.
  • MindGateMindGate United States Veteran
    edited December 2010
    Theres really nothing thats "unnatural." EVERYTHING is nature. Your house is part of nature. You are nature. You came from the same place as everything else. Unless by chance you are able to create a substance that defies reality itself, everything technically is natural. Just because something is natural doesn't mean its good for you either or else anthrax would be good for you too. :) The reason drugs and other intoxicants are not allowed in Buddhisms is because Buddhists consider the mind to be a precious thing and would prefer it to be in its purest form. When you are on drugs, YOU aren't in control, the drugs are. Thats a no-no in Buddhism.
  • HI REDFROG 1971 , YOU ASK, is cannabis allowed in buddhism? THE ANSWER IS SURE, BUDDHISM ALLOWS A LOT OF THINGS.... the THING IS is that well weed is a fun drug, though it CAN have bad effects, or just "unwholesome" ones, ON The other hand, weed is also , there's nothing HORRIBLY wrong with it... here and there. BUT IF you're going to get REALLY SERIOUS about this BUDDHISM thing we're talking about, then ... well.... cannabis isn't COMPLETELY necessary.... indeed, it does cloud the mind.... actually, in my experience, it can both cloud it and make it crystal clear..... but.... i don't know how much you are getting into buddhism or meditating but i would say you should try just meditating and mixing mindfulness and meditation with your marijuana consumption, see how they complement each other , see how they interfere with each other, etc, just try to see how weed fits into your practice....
    @Pietro Pumokin

Actually, I'm pretty sure its not allowed.

"5th precept: Suramerayamajja pamadatthana veramani sikkhapadam samadiyami --
    I undertake the precept to refrain from intoxicating drinks and drugs which lead to carelessness."

Sure, you could smoke pot. But why be a Buddhist then?

Pretend you are fat and you want to diet. So you begin to diet, but all the while you sneak a Snickers and Butterfinger in there. Yeah, sure it wouldn't hurt TOO much, but if you're going to keep eating the way you do, why do it at all? You're not learning anything by doing it.
  • Who says pot has to lead to carelessness?
    edited December 2010
    Who says pot has to lead to carelessness?
    Me. I have sad personal experiences with others using pot. When this person used it he got terribly mean and snappy. He was typically a gentle man, but soon as he started using pot again he started threating to punch me out and other stuff for no good reason.

But, on another note, who says just one beer leads to carelessness? It typically doesn't. So you might as well drink too, in moderation.
  • I have literally never heard of anyone getting angry on pot. Weed is known for calming people. I have smoked quite a bit in my life, and it is very easy for me to use and do whatever I have to do without any negative effects. Just because YOU can't use it without being careless doesn't mean NOONE can.
    edited December 2010
    Not while he was on pot, but afterwards.

I'm surprised by all the Buddhists on here who drink and smoke pot. Well, it seems to me like I was wrong about the whole "The reason drugs and other intoxicants are not allowed in Buddhisms is because Buddhists consider the mind to be a precious thing and would prefer it to be in its purest form."

Ah well. I suppose I have failed again in my attempt at finding myself. Wrong about that and probably most other things. I must not understand this whole living by the precepts and eightfold path thing fully. Probably not the rest of Buddhist concepts either.
  • I felt like the only way that I could be certain that pot would not change the effectiveness of meditation was to give up the pot. I am certain that one can benefit from studying Buddhism while they still have a pot habit though. Sooner or later one will likely let it go. Too expensive anyhow.
  • There are many things left on earth that cannot be eaten :rant:
  • shanyinshanyin Novice Yogin Sault Ontario Veteran
    I highly doubt these Tibetan monks were addicted to marijuana. The Buddha had some smart things to say about drug addiction. Like people lose wealth, intelligence, gain susceptibility to dis-ease.

Osho's line comes to mind; 'meditation is the perfect drug'. 'No side effects'.
  • graceleegracelee Veteran
    edited December 2010
    I am a newbie but I was under the impression that you can take what you like from buddhism and the buddha encouraged people to question the teachings?

as for the weed.. if you are using it regularly and find it hard to stop then you are using it to escape from feelings and emotions.. maybe look at what it is your trying to run away from? xxx
  • I have literally never heard of anyone getting angry on pot. Weed is known for calming people. I have smoked quite a bit in my life, and it is very easy for me to use and do whatever I have to do without any negative effects. Just because YOU can't use it without being careless doesn't mean NOONE can.
    Yes, pot is safer than alcohol and lots of people go through life just fine lighting one up in the evening or with the buddies. There was a time in my life when I kept the bag of weed and rolling papers stashed in my house. We're not saying that it's going to destroy your life, only that chemically altering the brain's functioning is not what Buddhism is about.

Cannabis is a mood altering, psychoactive drug or nobody would be smoking it to begin with. It's kinda the whole point. I don't care if you light up, but the fact that you've convinced yourself that all it's doing is calming you down a little without effecting your coordination or judgement concerns me. This sort of thing is part of the attachment leading to suffering that Buddhism is trying to teach you, and why the precepts warn us about intoxicants.

There's a long history of seekers incorporating mind altering chemicals as part of a religious experience, so you might learn something about yourself, but please be careful. Don't let the lesson be that you can't drive and get stoned at the same time.
  • >>>>"Cinorjer">>>>Redfrog, the answer is of course is that cannabis is an intoxicant.

This seems an unsupported claim. Could one not also reply that cannabis is not an intoxicant? What does intoxicated mean in this context? Must I avoid the fun-fare in case I get intoxicated by adrenalin and dopamine?

I can see a clear dharmic reason why one should not lie, steal, murder etc. I don't see the same reasons, de facto, for cannabis.

>>>>Translated, smoking pot makes people do stupid things.

Again, I don't think this is clear or certain.

My take on this is that cannabis is not going to help dharma practice in the vast majority of people, myself included (perhaps there are some it will, i cant imagine how). For many reasons, from how it effects effort and concentration to how it effects Right View.

But to come in guns blazing with it's forbidden by the fifth precept isn't really supported by the historical evidence or the dhamic evidence, IMHO.

• I am a newbie but I was under the impression that you can take what you like from buddhism and the buddha encouraged people to question the teachings?

as for the weed.. if you are using it regularly and find it hard to stop then you are using it to escape from feelings and emotions.. maybe look at what it is your trying to run away from? xxx
    It's true that Buddhism has a diverse set of beliefs and the practice of various schools varies widely. We also tell people that when it comes to matters like reincarnation, believe what you want. But, at the same time it's not "anything goes" and there is a core teaching. There's nothing wrong with questioning why Buddhists should refrain from intoxicants and just what the limits should be. There isn't a single Precept that isn't debated constantly as people wrestle with what form their practice should take. That's minds at work, and I think it's a necessary part of developing Right View. My own thoughts about various Precepts have changed as I continued my Practice.

• seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    edited December 2010
    The desire to smoke pot equals the desire for sense pleasure, physical or mental. The desire for sense pleasure equals suffering. Therefore, the desire to smoke pot equals suffering. Is it allowed, sure. The precepts are not "commandments" that you MUST obey. However, breaking the precepts makes you suffer, which is why they are precepts to begin with. Even if you think you are getting some great insight from doing psychedelics, it's really just a sense desire form of subtle suffering dependent on pleasure. One who wants to be free of suffering does not knowingly peruse sense desires or the pleasure they bring, which is one reason why Buddhism recommends not taking intoxicants.
  • Mindful on weed, mindless on weed. What's the difference?

Mindful on a full belly of food, mindless on a full belly of food. What's the difference?

Mindful on the cushion, mindless on the cushion. What's the difference?

• Everything is nature. Even joint rollers, tie die shirts, VW buses, rainbow suspenders, and psychedlic music.

So is a crewcut and tan. So is an orange robe and shaved head. So is kayaking. So is a factory dumping waste.

Its all nature from a broader perspective. And its all workable. But you might die of lung cancer. Or waste put yourself in a stuck place of suffering hooked.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

I am a newbie but I was under the impression that you can take what you like from buddhism and the buddha encouraged people to question the teachings?
    Yes...
    And no.
    The Buddha encouraged us to view all teachings as subjects to examine, ponder, scrutinise and think upon. But he did not say - and nobody has ever said - "you can take the bits you like, and leave the bits you don't like...."
    The whole point of questioning the teachings is to discover whether they speak truthfully to you, whether they are logical, sound, appropriate and Right in their instruction.
    And there may be many teachings one does not like, and which one is moved to resist, because they simply go against what we feel like doing, or they go against what we have previously thought, or believed.
    But that doesn't make them wrong, or inaccurate.

And if we discover that they are NOT wrong, or inaccurate, then it's up to us to not question the teachings, but to question ourselves, and to discover what the resistance against our following them, is.
    Precisely my point.

• Some of buddhas teachings I reject. Can't think of examples but I've come across some examples particularly political things. That could mean perhaps that I don't understand, or the teachings were directed at the leaders of the time. Or I am not honest about politics (aware).

But I have to be honest about my beliefs. That doesn't matter I indulge in things I know hurt me. But it takes time to see clearly. My advice is that NO is dogmatic. Don't be divided. Don't identify with potsmoking or non. Just get confused and make mistakes of course within reason. Non-harming creates good karma. If you want to quit and you can't think how that hurts your heart and you long for a different reality. Your conditional mind will eventually change and it will feel workable to quit.

I drink O'douls instead of alcohol so I am still neurotic. But I am less heedless and have greater integration sensitivity of mind and body. Not on my high horse or teary.
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    what is the point in abstaining from something for a reason you don't understand? that's just blind faith.

it appears to me that the OP is fairly new to buddhism (no offense meant if i am mistaken) and has come here with a prepared opinion and no intent to change. but i think that's okay. you asked, we answered, but until you truly understand our reasons... it makes no difference.

buddhism is about the search for the true nature of reality. pot might make you feel closer to understanding this, but it is a false perception brought about by illusions of a chemical sort. consider, how can warping reality make you further understand reality's true nature? the only meaningful realization i have ever experienced via drug use is, "wow, our brains sure are easily manipulated." it felt pretty profound at the time but sounds pretty stupid now, lol. you know, a lot like most realizations while high.

but like i said, i don't believe the OP will quit just cuz i say so. but i think it might be likely that if you allow yourself to consider the REAL reason why you want so desperately for buddhism to be compatible with pot, you might find it has a lot to do with "cuz i like it and it feels good" and not much to do with "it's helpful for my pursuit of enlightenment" this is the reality.
  • Anyone encouraging the use of drugs to "enhance" their buddhist practices or put their mind in a better state is misleading people.

It's easy to lie to yourself why you want to use drugs with your practice. It's easy to lie to yourself everything thats harmful for you is justified.
  • Ok, I'll say it... I think people who've used drugs are actually disadvantaged. They seem to think that the trips they've had and the altered mind states they've had are what nirvana is or that they were 'one with the universe' and so on. Then they dedicate their whole spiritual practice around that assumption. Then all of these 'deep' thoughts that arise when you're high become 'truths', but in reality they have nothing to do with anything.
  • I have not gone far from the question i first asked. and yes the answers are mainly no. yet i am not a Buddhist but a believer in Buddhism. as a guide to life.
    i except i am not Buddha and will i travel to be.
    i see even by all the comments above there is dissagreance in each.
    Zomiegirl and Gracelee both pointed to it, yes i have a preconceived idea, that does not mean i am not a Buddhist, yet i asked is it ok. I take the no's as yes.
    Where i head on my path is my path. i am not wrong. i am just not on your path.
    There where a few very negative no's they seem to force a issue.
    My path is mine and i travel it. i pick the Buddha to suit neither is wrong yet all are right.
    Frog
  • Well said, redfrog. Your question was fairly simple, "are drugs allowed". Obviously the answer is no, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't give Buddhism a go. I think Zombiegirl pretty much nailed it.
  • Ok, I'll say it... I think people who've used drugs are actually disadvantaged. They seem to think that the trips they've had and the altered mind states they've had are what nirvana is or that they were 'one with the universe' and so on. Then they dedicate their whole spiritual practice around that assumption. Then all of these 'deep' thoughts that arise when you're high become 'truths', but in reality they have nothing to do with anything.
    Why say it? you seem to be claiming to know with certainty what the insights that these people say that they have had are about. Either you have had this type of experience and can refute the validity of it after agreeing that your experience was identical to another persons or you must admit that you are guessing. In which case your post doesn't pack much of a punch. You really cannot speak like that about another persons path. Nothing has "nothing to do with anything" As you know every cause produces a result.
  • robot, I wasn't speaking about anybody's path. Yes, I've knows lots of people who'd trip out regularly. I've been around them for long enough to understand what it's about. I agree, that post doesn't pack much of a punch at all, it wasn't meant to. It was just a thought and perhaps I should've read over it a couple of times before posting. When I said "nothing to do with anything", I had a particular statement in mind. My friend was convinced that the universe was somehow an inverted atom or something. He thought it was very important and would go on about it. So, I have no idea what that delusion has to do with anything, but it was definitely a 'truth' to him. What result did that belief produce other than chasing a theory that would lead to a dead end?
    I have not gone far from the question i first asked. and yes the answers are mainly no. yet i am not a Buddhist but a believer in Buddhism. as a guide to life.
    Semantics.
    You're just picking and choosing.
    If you are a believer in B uddhism, you believe Buddhism to be the guide to Life you need.
    And it advises you against taking recreational drugs.
    Therefore, if you choose to ignore such recommendations, (and that is of course, your choice to make) then you are being selective about this Guide, and are merely taking the bits which seem to conjoin with your opinions.
    Which of course, makes the Guide easy-peasy.....
    i except i am not Buddha and will i travel to be
    In that case, you're going to have to put down some of the crap you're carrying, because you're just going to make your own journey that much more challenging....
    i see even by all the comments above there is dissagreance in each.
    DisagreeMENT.
    Zomiegirl and Gracelee both pointed to it, yes i have a preconceived idea, that does not mean i am not a Buddhist,
    You're contradicting yourself. You first said 'yet i am not a buddhist', and now you're saying 'that doesn't mean I'm not a Buddhist'.
    So are you - or aren't you?
    yet i asked is it ok. I take the no's as yes.
    Then you are sadly deluded. No, means 'NO'. If you take it to mean 'yes', you might as well not even bothered having asked the question.
    This is a senseless point of View based on Ignorance, Attachment and Craving.
    Trust me - No - is No.
    Where i head on my path is my path. i am not wrong. i am just not on your path.
    And which path are you on then?
    because I do not recognise your signposts at all...
    Are you making up the map as you go along?
    My path is mine and i travel it. i pick the Buddha to suit neither is wrong yet all are right.
    It would also help if you actually made sense.

So the crux is, you asked us whether cannabis is allowed in Buddhism, hoping the answer would be yes.
    There has been an overwhelming slant towards, "No not really, but the choice is yours, however, it is advised against, and it's not a constructive element to helping anyone along their journey"....
    So you've now come back with what basically amounts to "oh well, it's ok, because I'm not really following Buddhism anyway, and I'm going to do what I want".

Is that an accurate summary?
  • , I had a particular statement in mind. My friend was convinced that the universe was somehow an inverted atom or something. He thought it was very important and would go on about it. So, I have no idea what that delusion has to do with anything, but it was definitely a 'truth' to him. What result did that belief produce other than chasing a theory that would lead to a dead end?
    The point is that your friends view of reality was deluded before the drugs. Although the drugs produced a false view, is it not possible that your friends previously held certainty in the world as he believed it to be may have been shaken? Who is to say that upon realizing that neither view is correct, that he might not embark on a more effective path toward real insight? It is classic Casteneda I know and many here may object to it. You cannot predict whether it will lead to a dead end. Its not over till its over.
  • robot, lol, I can pretty much guarantee that none of the druggies I used to know will ever step on the spiritual path. I'd be pleasantly surprised.

You're right though, given the right kind of person, it can lead to great things. Hell, without LSD, we probably wouldn't have Apple Computers.

Anyway, all I was really suggesting was that the "more real/vivid than reality" experiences may convince people that something relatively insignificant or false is very important.
    Again, referring back to the OP...

From www.buddhanet.net:

Q:
    Well, what about alcohol? Surely a little drink doesn't hurt.

A:
    People don't drink for the taste. When they drink alone it is in order to seek release from tension and when they drink socially, it is usually to conform. Even a small amount of alcohol distorts consciousness and disrupts self-awareness. Taken in large quantities, its effect can be devastating.

Q:
    But drinking just a small amount wouldn't be really breaking the precept, would it? It's only a small thing.

A:
    Yes, it is only a small thing and if you can't practice even a small thing, your commitment and resolution isn't very strong, is it?
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran

Anyway, all I was really suggesting was that the "more real/vivid than reality" experiences may convince people that something relatively insignificant or false is very important.
    i've met such people as well. a very dear friend believes that it is only with drug use that her true connection to this universe is visible. in my experience with drugs, i feel aware that it is the drug affecting my perception. however, to my friend, the drug is actually allowing her to experience something very real that she otherwise would not be able to. (think: "matrix", lol) this not only forms a dependency on drugs, but it also shapes the way in which we view the "normal" world. it seems to me that people who spend the majority of their day high, learn to be even more dissatisfied(dukkha) with the normal world. this is a dependency i do not wish to form and i think it is clear how this would not be compatible with buddhism. in fact, this is pretty much the complete OPPOSITE reason i practice.

my day to day struggle with buddhism has always been to be aware of our connections to each other and to simply be happy and not suffer (or cause suffering to others). it feels like you're missing the point if you try and bypass all of that by taking a drug that will mimic these feelings ONLY WHEN you are under its influence. nothing real is learned here. this won't make any sort of life altering changes for me because it passes just as soon as the high does.

which begs the question, why do it at all? it's one thing when a person says, "i just like it." but it's quite another when a person claims it will aid them on their spiritual journey. i believe the latter to be a completely false notion whose only root lies in clinging.
  • The precepts... They're there for you to take seriously when you're ready... But, for the most part it's a matter of not indulging.

Pot is a bit different from alchohol I supppose... Cause I'll have a beer or two once in a blue moon with friends. But, I don't "indulge" because I don't really aspire to drink beer. I don't see much wrong in taking a hit or two every now and then when with friends...

and @mindgate I actually really enjoy the taste of beer. I've actually thought about getting some non-alchoholic beer to drink on :)
  • My friend was convinced that the universe was somehow an inverted atom or something. He thought it was very important and would go on about it. So, I have no idea what that delusion has to do with anything, but it was definitely a 'truth' to him.
    I can understand that. I have a friend who believes the drugs don't help him think outside the box, it's him. But yet, why use the drugs if it's YOU who does it? I couldn't quite understand that.