Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Less moderating please...

Mintyfresh0Mintyfresh0 Veteran
edited January 2011 in NewBuddhist.com
I just spent a good thirty minutes editing and typing a thoughtful response to my "this community" thread only to realize a moderator has sunk it.

There are too many threads being closed and sunk for no apparent reason.

Please, unless a thread has become poisonous or completely filled with anger and hate, leave it alone.

Comments

• I agree, Minty. A fascinating thread on magic in Buddhism (Himalayan Buddhism is full of magical practices) was sunk just because a couple of the mods didn't think the topic was relevant to Buddhism! It's not to Theravadan, but it is very much a part of Vajrayana. The mods can sometimes express opinions a bit too strongly, IMHO. Let's see how long this thread lasts....

Best to proceed with caution, really...
  • I for one think this 'sinking' thing is great. For those who want to continue the bickering they can bookmark that discussion. For the rest of us who don't really care, we can follow the constructive discussions going on. It's better than flat-out locking the thread and banning those who continue to stir things up.

By the way, I am not saying you're stirring anything up or bickering, but in general that's what happeng in threads of that nature.
  • Sometimes topics get sunk when there's no bickering, but just because a mod didn't like the topic.
  • Surely that's not the norm though. Buddhism is a complicated and diverse thing, we're not all going to see eye to eye.
  • Respect for all schools and traditions (as long as they're not harming anyone, stuff does happen, I know) would be appreciated.
  • Can't argue with that. However, a sunk topic can still be an active topic. Again, it's open for those who are interested without popping up for those who are not.

I do agree with you though, I am just saying it's not that bad.
  • edited January 2011
    Yes, you're right; sunk is still active, at least it's not closed. But it's the judgement passed (often expressed in mod comments) that seems inappropriate, when the topic is innocent.

On the other hand, there was a sudden flurry of threads yesterday that got out of hand in terms of combativeness. Let's hope it's blown over. Back to smiles :) and polite disagreement.
  • Less moderating please - ditto

And a more addictive forum format/functions would be nice
  • I Agee. Please. Please. Please.
  • I think the moderating seems pretty sensitive to me. People get heated and things get out of hand and the moderator stops the thread. I think that's fair enough - after all, when was the last time you actually changed someone's mind on the Internet through arguing? Actual arguing, rather than discussing?
  • fed, I think another issue is that as well as being a hard-handed moderator, as is your want, you also get deeply involved in many discussions. That is bound to cause a conflict of interest, isn't it?

I haven't been the brunt of your moderation for a long time, but I do think the forum could do with a more clear understanding of what is going on and how things could be improved.

Could we have some guidelines or something?

namaste

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    I fail to understand why you believe a Moderator's decisions are up for discussion.
    A decision is made. The Mod feels it's a right decision.
    I closed an unusually high number of threads this morning for precisely the reasons cited by Beta. Either that or they were pointless and would have undoubtedly encouraged unskilful discussion.
    Behave, be poite, be considerate, be dignified, be respectful of ebverything about the other person, don't bicker, don't flame, don't argue 'Right and wrong'. And the thread stays open.
    Simple really, isn't it?

Oh and - guess what?
  • I'd like to have a feature that allows the poster the option of closing or sinking his or her own thread.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited January 2011
    fed, I think another issue is that as well as being a hard-handed moderator,
    I'm not actually. I juat get pissed off with the same apparent mebmbers discussing matters and seeming to be unable to control their manners.
    you also get deeply involved in many discussions. That is bound to cause a conflict of interest, isn't it?
    No, thanks, I'm fine with it. I don't let my personal opinions cloud my judgement. I look at the poster's contribution as it stands on its own merit. I have bnever taken personal revenge on anyone through permitting a conflict of interest to arise.
    I haven't been the brunt of your moderation for a long time, but I do think the forum could do with a more clear understanding of what is going on and how things could be improved.
    When things arise and members need to be informed, trust me. You will be.
    polite, dignified, respectful, courteous and generous.
    Is that enough for you?

• LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    edited January 2011
    (Unlocking a moment to chime in, apologies)
    just because a mod didn't like the topic.
    I think that's awfully presumptive. I've made it clear I'm fine with liberal sinking as it does nothing to impede interested parties from continuing while sparing the rest of us from it monopolizing the top of the discussion list.
    Speak as though you were guests in our parlor.
    you also get deeply involved in many discussions. That is bound to cause a conflict of interest, isn't it?
    Am I aloof enough for you? :orange: I think Fede, Jason, and I confer more than you assume.

Feel free to contact me directly if you have questions about particular incidents or discussions.
This discussion has been closed.