Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Are there any forum rules or specific etiquette?

edited January 2011 in NewBuddhist.com
I have tried and failed to find any guidance regarding posts and discussions. Is there any?

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Yes.
    Act as if you were in a parlour, with your best friends and the local Vicar/Lama. Don't swear, be dignified, be polite, courteous, don't insult, attack and act with decency and composure.
    What rules did you think would exists that indicate you should act any differently on here, than you would in any discursive situation?
    (I just find it funny that people think they need rules, when in fact, they already have them...!)
    if something bothers you, or you are offended - Do not respond, react or reply -report it.
    Mod's will pick it up.

Hope that helps.
  • Ohh no! I used to get thrown outta bible class by the Rev Brown and I was surrounded by my friends! :)
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Then maybe it was the Reverend who broke the rules. Not you.....
  • MindGateMindGate United States Veteran
    I swear, but not AT anyone. I've never got in trouble here.

I find swearing to be a social taboo which is silly. I find nothing wrong with swearing. Hell, damn, etc are JUST WORDS. Society just deems it inappropriate because they can. Theres nothing wrong with them, we just perceive them to be bad, which is just a delusion.

Now, if we were CALLING someone a "bad word," that is bad. But calling someone a 'moron' or 'idiot' should be just as bad as calling someone any other name, including swear words.

Swear words shouldn't be looked down upon, unless used directly at somebody in a negative way. But then again, the word 'moron' should be just as bad as calling someone a swear word.
  • Federica,

That is exactly what I would assume, but as I see rather too many undignified, discourteous, insulting, attacking posts and some swearing all of which fairly frequently goes unchallenged. I just wanted to check.

It would be nice if we could all (italicize) follow those rules.

Thank you for your response.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited January 2011
    There are no rules per se, only a general policy that "no one can curse at other people, attack people, or generally be jerks."

My understanding regarding the use of profanity is that it isn't prohibited in and of itself as long as it's not directed at another member, although the its use is regulated to a certain extent (and that's generally up to the moderator's discretion).
  • Can I check whther those rules also apply to moderators? :)
    That is exactly what I would assume, but as I see rather too many undignified, discourteous, insulting, attacking posts and some swearing all of which fairly frequently goes unchallenged. I just wanted to check.
    Since there are only a few active moderators here who also have other things to do in life than patrol this forum, we rely on the help of members to flag posts that they feel require moderation.
    Can I check whther those rules also apply to moderators? :)
    Feel free to contact @Lincoln with any complaints or questions regarding site moderation and policy.
This discussion has been closed.