Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Eating of meat - Where is the line drawn?

edited January 2011 in Buddhism Basics
Guys, I'm having an internal struggle at the moment.
All life is sacred, and by eating meat, I am starting to feel like I'm doing something really bad. Although I did not kill the animal, I am helping others profit from killing.
Where is the line drawn? What animals are "okay" to eat? Bugs? Lizards? Fish? And is it judged by intelligence or what? What about eggs?
Also, I am allergic to certain foods, and I live in a place where it's hard to get good vegetable, not to mention there are basically no veggie options anywhere.
I'm just... Feeling a little lost at the moment.
My life is no more worth than the life of others, but it is my duty to keep my body as healthy as possible. But, if I am keeping my own body healthy by feeding on the body of other creatures, what does that make me?
Where should I stop thinking of others, and start thinking of myself? Where should I start thinking of others and stop thinking about myself?
Will the eating of meat while in this damaged body backfire horribly at me when the time comes to start my next life?

Comments

• For the umpteenth time in the last couple of months--lots of Buddhists eat meat. The Dalai Lama eats meat. Do what you have to do to keep yourself healthy; you won't be useful to others if you don't maintain your health. Don't guilt yourself, especially if there isn't much in the way of alternatives, and if your body requires meat.
  • Is this kind of guilt a symptom of Christian indoctrination?
  • In my opinion, eating meat is okay if you didn't directly kill the animal. Directly killing animals for meat isn't.
  • Christianity is big on guilt, for sure. maybe from that influence, guilt has become generally a part of Western culture.
    Is this kind of guilt a symptom of Christian indoctrination?
  • SattvaPaulSattvaPaul South Wales, UK Veteran
    edited January 2011
    I have been a veggie and went back to meat-eating, it may be that my body needs it. When I buy meat, I try to choose the most ethical and healthy option, and I am aware of the suffering the animal had gone through.

I feel a slight guilt but less and less. If I didn't eat meat, I'd feel guilty that I'm not taking care of myself properly. It's a question of balance.
  • One way to deal with potential guilt is to say a prayer before consuming the meat. Like Native Americans who say a prayer before shooting an animal for food; they thank it for giving up its life for them. Good psychological device to not only transform any guilt, but to also ensure that excess animals/meat won't be taken.
  • Is this kind of guilt a symptom of Christian indoctrination?
    Christians don't have a corner on the guilt market by any means. Have you ever met a Jewish mother? :)
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited January 2011
    Oh. Right. Well, maybe the Abrahamic religions, then...? (Actually, the Jewish mothers I've known weren't into that.)
  • CSEeCSEe Veteran
    edited January 2011
    Guys, I'm having an internal struggle at the moment.
    All life is sacred, and by eating meat, I am starting to feel like I'm doing something really bad. Although I did not kill the animal, I am helping others profit from killing.
    Where is the line drawn? What animals are "okay" to eat? Bugs? Lizards? Fish? And is it judged by intelligence or what? What about eggs?
    Also, I am allergic to certain foods, and I live in a place where it's hard to get good vegetable, not to mention there are basically no veggie options anywhere.
    I'm just... Feeling a little lost at the moment.
    My life is no more worth than the life of others, but it is my duty to keep my body as healthy as possible. But, if I am keeping my own body healthy by feeding on the body of other creatures, what does that make me?
    Where should I stop thinking of others, and start thinking of myself? Where should I start thinking of others and stop thinking about myself?
    Will the eating of meat while in this damaged body backfire horribly at me when the time comes to start my next life?
    Hi lets share my views .....all living and non-living is a form of energy . All these energy is not pure. Example human still have negetive feeling of anger , selfish etc that is not pure ....when we move to higher awareness we will understand our negetive act and regret....regret is karma . We will rectifty or re-born just to rectify our mistake . This process of rectifying mistakes is purification process towards a pure /perfect energy -The Buddha .
    In current world we have civil law of defining right or wrong , if you steal you are wrong because stealing is wrong act and you go to jail ...In Buddha there are no right act or wrong act ....if you steal you because you do not understand Buddha so when you move to higher awareness you will regret your bad act thats your karma. You ON YOUR OWN WILL changed and rectify your mistake ...no one , no force , no teacher will tell you , force you , guide you or punish you ...you will do it because you know your Buddha .
    Ok now let us talk about your case....
    The food that I take no matter what whether is meat , vegetable I must know for what purpose I eat .....if I sincerely think I eat or kill just to maintain my body to survive well I do it....because that is my awareness at this point... but when I kill or eat just to enjoy or for fun ....maybe one day I will regret it....thats my awareness at this point ...maybe I will change my views on this matter if I move to higher awareness...

to me animal or vegetable or anything In buddha all is equal is all same .... but as a person I am of the opinion vegetable show more Buddha spirit to me compared to animal....vegetable just like human , they breath oxygen just like us , need food , need space , have children or even make love maybe not the same way like human..just like us ...but they never distrub others , they never kill , never ask for more space than required they even use our waste ( co2 ) to eat and give out O2 for all....they are actually more Buddha than animal...and our monk had target them for thousand of years.....so pity our friend...

In Buddha love is un-conditional , we have to sincerely give love , show love and accept love to all-equally to living and non-living .just like helping a baby birds back to her nest but we dont expect she thanks us or we dont keep them as pets Give same and equal love to our children , same equal love to the robber that rob us and even same and equal love to the virus that attact our cell...
  • CSEeCSEe Veteran
    Recently in OPRAH show there was a topic about cage free......I was learned , shock and feel very sad that there are millions of chicken , pig , cow never use thier leg whole life just to lay egg or provide us food......

I think maybe the most suitable food in term of Buddha is fruits witout seeds or before eat we throw the seed to soil.....thats is the best food for me at my current awareness.....thats Buddha but in reality I still need many process...

Sorry in advance eating vege maybe more " sinfull " than meat.....
  • I heard there is a tradition that goes back to ancient India of eating only fruit, precisely for these reasons we're discussing.
  • CSEeCSEe Veteran
    Hi warrior...thanks for sharing....I just post a new topic ..please find time to read...I think I need a warrior to protect me.....
  • @CSEe
    You are suggesting we eat only seedless fruits or have them removed before we throw them away? Why not go the extra step and eat only fruit which has dropped off the trees they grow from? Why not carry a broom everywhere we go to sweep away any insect we might accidentally step on? Better yet, we shouldn't wear clothes because the cloth is made usually of plant and animal material, and using them means we cause them to suffer. And in order not to cause anyone to suffer see you die, might as well go into a hidden place far far away and starve to death.

What I am describing here is Jainism at its most extreme. Do you want to do that? You'll be forever hungry, and naked. Sure, your dignity and sense of shame will be gone, and so will your stomach with the infrequent meals, but hey, at least you are kind to the world, at your own expense.

Come on . Let's be practical. Human beings have evolved to be omnivores, meaning we are supposed to eat meat as well as plants. You have to eat what you have to eat, and be grateful for the very fact that you have food to eat. That's what Buddha taught, and that's what we should do.

WARNING!!! RANT HERE!!!

I'm really sorry that my tone is harsh, but I think I really need to get it off my chest, for your sake. I'm really afraid you might go in the wrong direction and get further confused about what Buddhism really is about.

From what I gather from your posts so far, you want to learn about Buddhism and how to practice, but you are too scared to really ask the monks and other practitioners who have much more knowledge than you, and you are too arrogant to really learn and study from books and listen to audio and watch Dharma talks. Which leaves you no choice but to come here and make us spoonfeed you with what we have learned from our own practices and study and instructions from our teachers and questions we have already asked before. All behind the veil of the internet, where you are not recognized and so you don't have to lose "face" in front of people.

I have many friends and relatives in Malaysia, and your attitude is called "BODOH SOMBONG" in BM, meaning you are ignorant about the things you want to know, but you are too worried about being embarrassed by asking a seemingly stupid question or showing you don't understand something.

Look, we all have to go through tough times and being embarrassed by our teachers because we do not understand something which can seem very simple and straightforward. Yet all of us ignore the fact that we are embarrassed and make an effort to learn and understand what we are taught in order for us to advance to more difficult understanding.

This is not to say that it is wrong for you to sponge off what we have learned, we are more than happy to share that knowledge. But ask yourself, are you really here to share what you think Buddhism is, or are you here to make us do the difficult work of asking questions that you are so afraid to ask in person?

***TIDAK ADA SESIAPA YANG BOLEH TOLONG KAMU KALAU KAMU SENDIRI TIDAK MAHU DITOLONG*** No one is able to help you if you are not willing to help yourself. There are many many books on Buddhism. You can't read English and Chinese? ZFine. There are many books in BM as well. I know because I have read them before! And they are more often than not, free for you to take home and read!

So don't give us the excuse that these teachers and so on are not willing to teach you and keep bring you down. If you are open to what they say, and you think about what they say, it may make more sense than your own ideas instead.
  • mugzymugzy Veteran
    edited January 2011
    For the umpteenth time in the last couple of months--lots of Buddhists eat meat. The Dalai Lama eats meat.
    As I understand it, the Dalai Lama and other lamas are able to eat meat because they perform a kind of practice that purifies the meat and liberates the soul of the animal that was killed. I don't remember the name of this practice, but I do remember reading about it a while back. (Sorry I can't provide more details.)

I personally do not eat meat. I do not condemn people who eat meat to survive, or when no other options are available, but I strongly urge people to follow a vegetarian diet whenever possible.
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    i was full veg for years, but i have adapted a new policy that makes more sense to me. these days, i do not purchase meat for myself but if it is given to me (think thanksgiving dinner) and not specifically killed for me, then i will accept it. now... the real problem is that after being a vegetarian for years, every time i eat meat i get HORRIBLE stomach/bowel pain. sometimes i wonder if it's even worth it, lol. but it does make grandma happy...

• Will the eating of meat while in this damaged body backfire horribly at me when the time comes to start my next life?
    Of course not. Your intentions are pure. Use your healthy body to do good.
  • If you feel bad about eating meat, why not work on eating better meat? (try to find organic and/or free-range, avoid cheap meat which is often at the expense of animal welfare). Also, investigate the vegetarian options that are in your area and maybe have one or two vegetarian days per week.

Try not to be extremist about this - it is good to be vegetarian, but that is not always possible. I've had to accept a compromise around fish oils, since my health condition means that I should really take them. But Buddhism - unlike a lot of religions which are dogmatic, does not say "This is the right way always" "This is the wrong".

It is a difficult exercise to not be black-and-white about such issues. You will notice there is a lot of social pressure to be one thing or the not - part-time vegetarianism is looked upon as weird. But I believe it is an invaluable spiritual lesson in non-attachment to concepts like "vegetarian".

Being vegetarian can be a dangerous trap: you can start to feel morally superior, treating meat-eaters badly and becoming obsessive about what you eat. It becomes a big deal, and a distraction from toher issues. You also have to work hard not to get sucked-in to the whole animal-rights activist thing - round my way, there are activists who are full of hate for human beings. Not something any Buddhist should want to get wrapped up in.

So anyway, moderation in all things.
  • edited January 2011
    Everyone, thank you for your replies, I feel much better now :)
    Maybe the guilt is coming from some christian roots, as I grew up in a Laestadian town. They're very... Orthodox and old-fashion. You know, the kind of people who tell children God will punish them for sinning. My parents are atheists, though, and I started telling the other kids at school about evolution and such very early on. And got scolded for it.
    Anyhow.
    I used to be a vegetarian, and then I expanded it to pescatarian.
    ... Although I guess a lot of girls have a phase when they're teenagers where they want to be veggies.

Although I know there is no right and wrong, I still often find it very hard to find a path to walk, especially when I realise I don't live like the monks at all, and I have read like, none of the books I "should" read when it comes to buddhism. Unless "The Hitchiker's guide to the galaxy" read 5 times in 2 different languages count, lol.

Anyways, thanks, guys.
  • I was a vegetarian for 2 years - and then i met my teacher.

After an intensive 1 week retreat he cooked us a lamb dish. It was the first time in 2 years that i had eaten meat - but the message was clear - do not be extremist. Ada_B explains it beautifully.
  • Yes, I was very relieved by her answer
  • CSEeCSEe Veteran
    edited January 2011
    Hi all....in life fear is actually very good ....on the road if we fear less accident...in school if we have fear we study hard....in sex if we fear we wear condom.....but in Buddha ..if we fear to learn , fear to be challange, fear to hear something we do not wish to hear....fear to know love....fear u might fall in love......fear of our own mistake....fear of our ownself...well In Buddha that may be your limitation to know Buddha......
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    CSEe has taken a sabbatical.
  • Okay, I am seriously confused. I go away for two hours, come back, see this?
    No offense, CSEe, but I can't understand a thing you write :/
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    No worries, no more effort required.
  • No worries, no more effort required.

If its any consolation, I tried. :)

edited January 2011
    I deleted a whole stack of his posts. "Illegible" doesn't cover it.... :rolleyes: ;)
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    edited January 2011
    If you are doing something that makes you feel bad, you stop doing it. Then you don't feel bad anymore. Problem solved. :) It's up to you and you alone where to draw the line.
  • MountainsMountains Veteran
    edited January 2011
    I heard there is a tradition that goes back to ancient India of eating only fruit, precisely for these reasons we're discussing.
    Compare life expectancy then and now. You can't live on just fruit. At least not if you want to be healthy and live a long life.

AdaB: Bingo! You hit the nail squarely on the head! Well said.
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    If you feel bad about eating meat, why not work on eating better meat? (try to find organic and/or free-range, avoid cheap meat which is often at the expense of animal welfare). Also, investigate the vegetarian options that are in your area and maybe have one or two vegetarian days per week.

Try not to be extremist about this - it is good to be vegetarian, but that is not always possible. I've had to accept a compromise around fish oils, since my health condition means that I should really take them. But Buddhism - unlike a lot of religions which are dogmatic, does not say "This is the right way always" "This is the wrong".

It is a difficult exercise to not be black-and-white about such issues. You will notice there is a lot of social pressure to be one thing or the not - part-time vegetarianism is looked upon as weird. But I believe it is an invaluable spiritual lesson in non-attachment to concepts like "vegetarian".

Being vegetarian can be a dangerous trap: you can start to feel morally superior, treating meat-eaters badly and becoming obsessive about what you eat. It becomes a big deal, and a distraction from toher issues. You also have to work hard not to get sucked-in to the whole animal-rights activist thing - round my way, there are activists who are full of hate for human beings. Not something any Buddhist should want to get wrapped up in.

So anyway, moderation in all things.
    yes, i agree with all of this. since my friends now know that i eat meat occasionally at family parties, they don't always take my vegetarianism seriously. for example... when we're ordering a pizza... lol.

i also agree with the morally superior bit. a vegetarian friend of mine would be extremely rude to our other friends who ate meat in front of her, it was obnoxious.

and just wondering, but instead of taking fish oil supplements, have you looked into incorporating flax seed oil into your diet? flax seed oil contains an omega 3 that we cannot produce naturally and you don't have to worry about mercury contamination.
  • edited January 2011
    There's still an ongoing debate as to whether flax seed oil is as good as fish oil with regard to omega 3. But if we consider that the incidence of mercury content of fish oil is increasing all the time, maybe flax seed oil is a better option in the long term, even for non-vegetarians.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited January 2011
    deleted

• and just wondering, but instead of taking fish oil supplements, have you looked into incorporating flax seed oil into your diet? flax seed oil contains an omega 3 that we cannot produce naturally and you don't have to worry about mercury contamination.
    Flax oil contains plant-based omega 3's which need to be metabolised to form DHA (which is the essential fatty acid that does the good in omega 3). The only natural sources of DHA are oily fish and certain marine blue-green algaes.

However, there are concerns about heavy metal contamination with supplements of the blue-green algaes, and research into connective tissue disorders like mine showed that only actual fish oil seemed to be beneficial. It is believed there may be still other micronutrients in oily fish that have yet to be identified.

I get a bit fed up of healthfood places selling flax oil as a substitute for fish oil when actually it is a totally different form of omega 3. Plant-based omega 3 has not been shown to have any beneficial health effects.

Since my condition is quite serious, I made the decision that fish oils were the best choice, although it is an uncomfortable choice for me.
  • It is possible to live healthfully on a fruitarian diet. Take a look at www.dickgregory.com It's actually more healthful than eating all the fast food and processed foods sold in the US today. A fruitarian diet would probably be a good practice to help us overcome our attachment to food.
  • It is possible to live healthfully on a fruitarian diet. Take a look at www.dickgregory.com It's actually more healthful than eating all the fast food and processed foods sold in the US today. A fruitarian diet would probably be a good practice to help us overcome our attachment to food.
    Or a great way to exacerbate aversion and create an eating disorder.
  • The road to Buddhahood is not an easy one! :)
  • The road to Buddhahood is not an easy one! :)
    Even the Buddha did not eat a fruitarian diet, so why do you think it would be a good idea? Don't get me wrong - if you want to do it, go ahead (just don't invite me to lunch) but I seriously question it is a healthy way to go on (mentally, physically of spiritually). The Buddha taught the Middle Way. This is not IMHO a middle anything.
  • edited January 2011
    well there are a lot of problems with 1) eating meat, and 2) not eating meat. They are very condescending. By eating the meat you are indirectly influencing the provider to kill more for you yet by not eating the meant isn't significant enough for the provider to quit killing the animal. So technically by no eating that chicken or 1lb of beef that animals life just went to waist. just as compassionate warrior stated, "the road to buddhahood is not an easy one!"

namaste
  • edited January 2011

Even the Buddha did not eat a fruitarian diet, so why do you think it would be a good idea? Don't get me wrong - if you want to do it, go ahead (just don't invite me to lunch) but I seriously question it is a healthy way to go on (mentally, physically of spiritually). The Buddha taught the Middle Way. This is not IMHO a middle anything.
    Well, this was just for the sake of argument, since someone brought it up. (It came up recently on another thread, as well.) Apparently it's not factually true that it's not possible to live healthfully on such a diet. And I think it's true that it would help overcome attachment to food, which is an issue that's come up a few times here. What kind of diet did the Buddha eat, does anyone know?

• Eat meats only if you find that your own meat not enough to feed yourself. Learning the path of liberation like Buddha ought not to afraid of death by sacrificing the life of other animals for the ignorant perception of selfish desire such as vitamins etc. Be brave and take the ultimate challenge of Buddhism truth of loving-kindness towards all living beings :D
  • look deep into your brain, block everyone else's opinion and ask yourself "Do I feel it is a moral and good idea to eat meat? If you answer yes, try to find a way to incorporate this idea into your Buddhist practice. As other said before, become mindful of the suffering the animal went through to give you the energy from its body. Also be mindful of the way the animal helped you and give it your appreciation. :)
  • Gyalwang Karmapa’s Advice on Vegetarianism

December 24, 2007, Translated by Ringu Tulku Rinpoche & Karma Choephel

Now we are finishing the 25th Kagyu Monlam in a very auspicious way, and there is not a whole lot for a fool like me to say. A great crowd of monks and nuns from the different Kagyu monasteries have come here. Similarly, there are many people who have come here from Ü, Tsang, and Kham in Tibet. A great number of people from foreign countries, both East and West, have also come. For all of you to come here is, as I have already said, a wonderful great fortune for all of us, for myself and for you, and I am very happy about this.

Last year on the final day of the Kagyu Monlam, I said a few things on the subject of giving up eating meat. Almost all of you probably already know this. It seems some people did not completely understand what I said. For example, some foreign students seemed to think it meant that once you become a student of the Kagyu, meat is not allowed to pass your lips. They told all the meat-eating Kagyupas, “You can’t be a Kagyupa if you eat meat.” I did not say anything that inflammatory. If a Mahayana practitioner, who considers all sentient beings to be like their father or mother, eats the flesh of another being out of carelessness and without any compassion, that is not good. So we need to think about this and pay attention to it. All of us Mahayana practitioners, who accept that all sentient beings have been our mothers and fathers, need to think about this. For that reason, it would be good to decrease the amount of meat that we eat. That is what I said.

I certainly did not say that you are not allowed to eat meat at all. That would be difficult. Whether it is because of previous karma or their present circumstances, some people cannot do without meat. This is how it is, and there’s nothing to do about it. It’s not a problem.

If you have to eat meat, there is a proper way to eat it. Do not just grab it and stuff it into your mouth as soon as it is put on your plate. If first you think carefully about it, meditate on compassion, and recite the names of buddhas or mantras before eating, then it has some positive effects.

When I was explaining this last year, I said that one reason to give up eating meat was for the long life of the lamas. His Holiness the Dalai Lama, Tenzin Gyatso, passed through his “obstacle year” according to Tibetan astrology, so it was for his long life. Next year will be his post–obstacle year. I also brought up my own name. On one hand, it may have been out of desperation that I said, “If you do this for my own long life, that would be good.” Some people have asked how it is that their giving up eating meat could bring me a longer life. It’s difficult to give a direct answer to that question.

But if we don’t eat meat, even if we don’t live longer, I think we will live happier lives. If we enjoy the flesh and blood of other beings, then at the time we have to go, we might feel as if this life didn’t turn out so well. We will have carelessly consumed the flesh and blood of other beings. That might happen, right? If we don’t eat meat, life might not be longer, but there is a possibility we might be more satisfied.

Many monasteries in India and Nepal have done such great, positive things as giving up meat and cooking vegetarian food instead. This is a good example for Buddhism in general, and I think it especially becomes Mahayana practice.

In our eyes, such high lamas as Jamgon Rinpoche and Gyaltsap Rinpoche are the living presence of Manjushri and Vajrapani. Out of care for sentient beings, they intend to refrain from eating meat and to become vegetarian. I think that for them to have such an intention is actually a great fortune for all of us sentient beings; it is good fortune for all of their followers.

Some of the other high lamas who are here, Thrangu Rinpoche and Tenga Rinpoche, were present during the time of the previous Karmapa, and they are like the pillars of the teachings. Throughout their lives they have developed strong habits of eating meat. However, out of their concern for beings and the Buddhist teachings, they have taken great steps in this direction. For that reason, all of us who call ourselves their followers need to think about this.

Everyone is really trying their best. For example, in Tibet, in the old days there was no way to live without eating butter, cheese, and meat. Now maybe because of better environmental conditions, or because Tibetans have such strong faith, or because they are stubborn, the monasteries even in many remote places have promised to give up meat. When we think about it, there are many people here in India who generally do not like eating meat. So when those of you who live here give up meat, it is not really anything novel. For people in Tibet, however, to give up meat is a big deal. I would like to say thank you to all of them. We need to keep doing everything we can.

We should contemplate the Mahayana teachings and the precious teachings of the Kagyus. The earlier Kagyu masters gave up meat, took up a vegetarian diet, and developed pure love for sentient beings. If we ourselves can take up even the smallest aspect of this sort of action and start with something small, it will turn out extremely well, I think. So that is what I have to say about giving up meat.

• Gyalwang Karmapa’s Advice on Vegetarianism

December 24, 2007, Translated by Ringu Tulku Rinpoche & Karma Choephel

If you have to eat meat, there is a proper way to eat it. Do not just grab it and stuff it into your mouth as soon as it is put on your plate. If first you think carefully about it, meditate on compassion, and recite the names of buddhas or mantras before eating, then it has some positive effects.  
    Meditate on compassion before eating meat is like asking someone to kill others and then meditate on compassion :screwy:

• Meditate on compassion before eating meat is like asking someone to kill others and then meditate on compassion :screwy:
    Not necessarily. I myself don't eat meat (I do eat fish though so I'm not a vegetarian) and I've always thought the way of hunting of the indians to be very noble. After shooting a deer for example most tribes would thank the deer for giving it's meat (something a bit more ceremonial than that, but you get what I mean), since it was necessary for them to live on meat. In our current culture and in the old traditional eastern culture it was easy to be a vegetarian, in the indian tribes not so much.

Either way, my reason not to eat meat is mainly because I find it more healthy in current society.
  • Much also depends on the three main schools of Buddhism, for example:

Theravada

The Buddha specifically refused suggestions by Devadatta to institute vegetarianism in the Sangha. He did not prohibit the eating of meat.

Mahayana

Vegetarian diet is generally recommend, for they believe that the Buddha insisted that his followers should not eat meat or fish.

Mahayana - Vajrayana

It seems that the act of eating meat is not always prohibited, for example Tibetan Buddhism.

One Gotama Buddha, different stories. So, decide for yourself!
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    The road to Buddhahood is not an easy one! :)
    I don't think it a middle way either but one could argue that it is healthier than having McDonald's or "cheese in a can" with potato chips, every night for dinner. The Buddha didn't eat cheese in a can or potato chips either. :) Fruitarians also eat more than just fruit in the normal sense of the word, like apples and oranges. Many of them go by the botanical definition of fruit, which includes things like green beans, peppers, eggplant, tomatoes, cucumbers, all nuts and some grains, like wheat.

• VincenziVincenzi Veteran
    edited January 2011
    I've being a full-vegetarian (doesn't include eggs and milk; there's a reason why cows are sacred in India!) for many weeks now... and I feel healthy.

However, if in an emergency... am willing to eat fish and birds.

and just wondering, but instead of taking fish oil supplements, have you looked into incorporating flax seed oil into your diet? flax seed oil contains an omega 3 that we cannot produce naturally and you don't have to worry about mercury contamination.
    Flax oil contains plant-based omega 3's which need to be metabolised to form DHA (which is the essential fatty acid that does the good in omega 3). The only natural sources of DHA are oily fish and certain marine blue-green algaes.

However, there are concerns about heavy metal contamination with supplements of the blue-green algaes, and research into connective tissue disorders like mine showed that only actual fish oil seemed to be beneficial. It is believed there may be still other micronutrients in oily fish that have yet to be identified.

I get a bit fed up of healthfood places selling flax oil as a substitute for fish oil when actually it is a totally different form of omega 3. Plant-based omega 3 has not been shown to have any beneficial health effects.

Since my condition is quite serious, I made the decision that fish oils were the best choice, although it is an uncomfortable choice for me.
    wowee! turns out i'm completely wrong, lol. it was explained to me that our bodies can produce the types of omega 3s found in fish oil, but we cannot make the types found in flax. thank you for setting me straight.

since you seem to know a lot about it, which types of oil are the best? i have bought fish oil in the past but i was always rather confused when it came to what sort of a source i should purchase as they come from many different types of fish.
    The road to Buddhahood is not an easy one! :)
    my only reply to this is that i have been off and on veg for 6 years now. 2 years strict veg, 1 year pescatarian (only eats fish). then i ate meat for a year, and i'm close to 2 years of a more liberal veg diet that i explained above. everything i do is based on health reasons and what i feel in my body. i had a lot of digestive problems growing up and i never paid attention to it because i thought it was normal. a veg diet took my problems away. when i went back to eating meat for a year, the effects it had on my body convinced me to stop eating meat again. something that i have never heard anyone else talk about, but that i found to be true with myself, is that when i eat meat i have HORRIBLE menstrual periods. i mean, lying on the floor, chugging pain pills and puking from the pain (i almost never take pain pills aside from this time). for some reason, i do not experience this (at least, EXTREMELY rarely) when i stick to eating veg. oddly enough, i did eat a lot of meat over the holidays (i had 5 christmas parties to go to) and guess what? i had to call in to work again because of my cramps directly following this. i have wondered if maybe it has something to do with the amount of iron, but i can't be sure. i know i'm not typically anemic.

at this point, i don't really care what others do. to be honest, i am even sad that my girlfriend is a vegetarian because i frequently feel like she does it just for me. i know that if i started eating meat again, she would as well, but i also know that a lot of the reason she sticks with it is because of the health benefits she experiences as well. for example, when we first started dating, she had horrible indigestion that plagued her several times a week. after i ate meat over the holidays, i had this problem and it wasn't until then that we realized somewhere along the lines she stopped having it altogether.
    so point being, i really don't mind anymore what others do... but it does bother me when people try to tell me how unhealthy i'm being. i don't know what it is about being a vegetarian, but people verbally assault me ALL THE TIME. it's very annoying to be forced to explain yourself over and over and over again. i don't know why meat eaters instantly assume that just because i don't eat meat (or rarely, whatever) that i am judging them. when i would eat McDonalds all the time no one was like, "um...listen, what you're doing is extremely unhealthy..." but you order a veggie burger and instantly it's all, "how can you survive? it's not healthy!"

:banghead:
  • edited January 2011
    Everyone should eat what they need to eat, guilt-free, to maintain good health. Thanks for your story, ZG. Glad you figured out what works. :)
  • ZG, excruciating menstrual pain can be a symptom of thyroid disease.

Where do you live, that people verbally assault you all the time for being veggie? Just say it's a health issue. You don't have to justify yourself. If they're obnoxious, tell them they're being rude. You shouldn't have to live like that.