Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

is this really what the site is gonna look like now?

edited December 2010 in NewBuddhist.com
it looks terrible...lol...

Comments

• I'm finding it difficult to use, but I'm getting used to it little by little.
  • There are definitely features of the old software which I came to rely on and am missing (outlined in the canonical thread on the changeover) but I don't think you can criticize the site's appearance. It's almost the same as before, a little cleaner if anything.
  • NomaDBuddhaNomaDBuddha Scalpel wielder :) Bucharest Veteran
    I hope people will make improvements with this new design...in no time :D
  • JoshuaJoshua Veteran
    edited December 2010
    I was very used to vBulletin but now I'm getting pretty used to it. I've definitely discovered some pros, the cons are in all honesty rather superficial and I believe all of them could be added but it's certainly unnecessary. Even some cons from the old site have been fixed.

Admittedly, I don't really get the activity stream.
  • The 'h' in the word 'Search' at the top is making contact with the outline of the box and it is driving me crazy!
  • Yes, there are a number of small nits like that. The use of truncated text from the username in place of an avatar for people who don't have one is another. But overall, I'd say it's very clean, visually.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    The 'h' in the word 'Search' at the top is making contact with the outline of the box and it is driving me crazy!
    Not on my screen it isn't. Try enlarging the image, rather than reducing it down.

(I'm kidding......)

I am such a technical fudgewit and Compu-doofus this whole changeover scared the bahooney out of me...No, really. It did!

I really found it quite unnerving, and poor Lincoln had to sit me down in the kitchen with a hot cup of tea and a hefty slice of kindness, before I settled down....Pity Admin for having to deal with all the *WTF*....comments....

I'm of the opinion that the biggest thing people find it difficult to come to terms with is change.
    After he patted my hand and poured me another cuppa, he did point out that *getting it* was not an overnight obligation.

Give it time, and settle down, and above all....breathe.

So, I'm doing just that.

Time to bake some mince pies and get all the garlands up in the big living room again.....

• BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    Consider it a lesson in impermanence :D
  • CHANGE = BAD!! :)

Just remember, impermanence. This too shall pass...

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Consider it a lesson in impermanence :D
    BRIAN!!!!!:clap:

Hugs, ya big bear!

Howyadoin'....????

Impermanence, huh....? Ain't that a drag?!

:rockon:
  • edited December 2010
    this is how its gonna look forever and ever and ever :D
  • BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator

BRIAN!!!!!:clap:

Hugs, ya big bear!

Howyadoin'....????

Impermanence, huh....? Ain't that a drag?!

:rockon:
    Hi Fede! It's been a crazy few years, that's for sure. I've been quietly sitting behind Lincoln this whole time, though. Literally. Like, three feet behind him. Our desk chairs face away from each other here at the NewBuddhist HQ :D

You know the back of his head like he knows the back of his hand.
    I'm sure it's a comfort to him to know you've been watching his back.
    Now I get his previous 'location' line. :D

Hope all is great with you, Chief. ((hugs))
  • LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    @upalabhava What OS / browser are you using?
  • edited December 2010
    Vista and Mozilla.
  • Vanilla is much better, it has a more Zen look and feel... however i think i'm not getting all the e-mail notifications for new posts.
    edited December 2010
    @Vincenzi Do you have them all checked in your profile preferences? I'm actually part of the development team working on Vanilla too (volunteer). You wouldn't think notifications are difficult to get right, but they're tremendously complicated. Let me know if you see a pattern or can give examples. Thanks!
  • I love the new site btw - love it
    Thanks @Dazron! :D
  • I really do. As a long term twitter user I've struggled to get back to grips with BBS style forums. I've never seen this vanilla implentation before and I must say I'm impressed. I might look in to it for some other applications! Sterling stuff.

Oh and this has replaced twitter for me now.
    @Dazron I too have found much of the "excitement" of talking online has moved to Twitter away from vBulletin-style forums, and I believe it's a software problem, not a fundamental problem with the idea of a forum. That was a prime motive for the switch. Very glad it's working for you.
  • edited December 2010
    One more thing: a suggestion.

You see at the top that strip of navigation that has discussions on etc. Could you have it repeat at bottom? By the time you've read through a long old thread, you have to scroll up again to get back to main page?

Might not be possible but...
    I absolutely agree. We used to have a similar duplicate navigation bar in vBulletin which was widely requested. Scrolling sucks. :)
  • This vanilla thing works especially well on smartphones which is tremendously important now as you know. I haven't looked on my iPad yet... How does it figure on there do you know?
    The iPad should display it normally as it does on a desktop/laptop.

Right now, mobile works by sniffing what type of device you're using and switching between 2 themes (regular vs. mobile). Ultimately, I would like 1 theme that is so dynamic it works at any screen size. Baby steps. :cool:
  • It would be handy if the discussion lists also gave the time of the last post, if the post has been made in the last 24 hours. When I visit the site more than once in a day, that would make it easier to identify when I've hit material I've already considered on that day.

Also, it would be nice if the lists indicated who started the threads, as I often used that to make a guess at the thread's quality.
    PM Lincoln, or add comments to the Vanilla thread....The former is probably more practical....
  • Thanks, fede.
  • @Vincenzi Do you have them all checked in your profile preferences? I'm actually part of the development team working on Vanilla too (volunteer). You wouldn't think notifications are difficult to get right, but they're tremendously complicated. Let me know if you see a pattern or can give examples. Thanks!
    I can see notifications in the web interface, but not in the e-mail (only if it is a PM)... and cann't find where to change this preference.