Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

How to overcome depression?

edited January 2011 in Buddhism Basics
Sorry if this has been asked before. I am on Citalopram and suffering mild depression. I have no drive, ambition or motivation at the moment. I wish to change for the better for me and others. But at the moment my mind zips from lows to wanting to be the centre of attention. From suicide acts to being an action hero. I am craving attention but at the same time I want to be left alone because I am shy. I spend my life day dreaming and not doing anything of value. I suffer many delusions such as jealousy & ego. Many of these delusions come from the fact I dont think I can hold anyones interest in me. I get jealous of how people make friends, how they have fun and can laugh when I am alone. When I try to attempt to befriend people I think they find me boring.

Comments

• edited January 2011
    Hi sadsoul,

I'm so sorry to hear about your difficulties.I looked up Citalopram and some of the symptoms you describe such as thoughts of suicide are listed under possible side effects of the drug, which it said should be reported to your health care provider.
    I strongly advise you to speak to your doctor again and also ask if MBCT (Mindfulness Based Cognitive Therapy) is available to you as an alternative. In the meantime, if you are spending your day daydreaming and don't have a job, is it possible for you to take up a regular daily exercise programme for some of the time ?
    You might find that's of some help to you.

with kind wishes,

Dazzle
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    You need to see your doctor about maybe changing your medication, because if you have mild depression, and you're on Citalopram, then you need a review.
    Talk to your doctor about possibly moving onto something less inhibiting.
    Ask to see a counsellor, and get medical attention.
    Until such a time, its impossible to advise anything other than that, because I don't think your meds are doing what you need.
    Please - see your doctor.
  • i agree with dazzle.

If you want break a cycle of depression or pain - i think your the best person to do this to empower yourself. I drifted into buddhism as I needed answers for suffering and my dad suffers from depression and i needed to try and understand the concept of why human beings suffer. Besides that I had period of long term illness (incorrectly diagnoised lung disease ended up being asthma!) and my meds for that were making me exhausted and leading me to mild depression. I feel as though you may need to pin point what is causing you to feel like this? My case was long term ill health and the fact I had a stressful lifestyle.

I started Meditation and Yoga and then began disassociating all my issues amd treating them all individually while the yoga and meditation helped my body and mind to heal. Like others have said here you may need medical advice on the first instance - but only you can allow yourself to be happy.

LL
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited January 2011
    Hi Sadsoul

The Buddha advised us the spiritual path begins with spiritual friends.

If you feel Buddhism can help you, then, in my opinion, it is best to visit a Buddhist centre where there a genuinely kind & accepting people.

In an atmosphere of genuine love & friendship we can learn slowly about what is genuine love & friendship.

We can slowly lose our anxieties & build our sense of self-worth.

My best wishes for you

DD

• What exactly do you mean by "suicide acts"?
  • edited January 2011
    fedricas right, i can add; are you taking any anti psychotics like abilify or resperidol( i think this is overkill for depression;;), as a class of drugs they all cause at least physical if not emotional depression, i personally have to take them and the side effects suck...... anti depressants as a class of drugs tend to have less side effects and be more effective at treating the illness, quite possibly you just havent found the right one, i wouldnt reccomend any one thinking of suicide going off their meds no matter what the therapy, over years buddhism could even possibly cure you from needing medicine but not overnight, this is a topic i do know something about as ive been manic depressive since i was 21 years old. talk to your doctor, please
  • Ditto - please see your doc right away! Been there, done that! Celexa may not be for you.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited January 2011
    I found it really helpful to realize that thoughts are just thoughts! Also you need some kind of practice to provide energy imho. Just mindfulness is difficult without the right flow of energy. Its confusing because in some sense/anxiety depression is a high energy state but the problem is that both agitation and dullness occur and the insight needed or heart energy flow is blocked.

For this reason schedule small activities that are sensory. Such as music, walking meditation, a light snack or juice, a creative enterprise, a short reading, a walk outside for recreation as opposed to walking meditation. You mention that you don't have many friends, but if there is somebody occasionally call them and ask them what they are doing, don't dwell on yourself but in a back and forth discussion you may share what you are going through if you wish. Online is good too, you can meet people on this forum in dialogue if you are persistant.

These activities help cope with the energy state. In depression it is difficult to see if these are rewarding so you have to have a certain amount of being fed up with how things are. If you don't make any changes the depression can always get worse! And thats motivation to 'do the right thing' even if it requires some effort.

Of course you may choose the things that you feel you can accomplish without setting off to climb mount Everest or fantasize about how you 'should' be making a friend or whatever. By accomplishing small things your sense of curiosity and natural confidence will increase. As well as the word of truth you have with yourself to do what you believe is right.

Which if you dwell on fears of it getting worse, lets get back to the single most powerful remedy, realize that thoughts are just thoughts. They are not real and what they say isn't reality that will happen. Daydreams and fears are just thoughts.
  • Thanks for your support. I will see my doc again. The meds helped me with anxiety and panic attacks. At the peak of medication I did glimpse some improvement in mood. I do work and can do my job ok. I think buddhism will help me cultivate love and happiness which will benefit me as well as others. The cause of depression most likely due to low sself esteem. I lost 50 % of my hearing when i was young. Since then i been reclusive out of choice. I stay quite most time to avoid making fool of myself and have problems expressing my feelings. I can't even say i love you to my mum without feeling embarrassed and stupid.
  • Yeah I might sound like I (think I) know what I am talking about but I have also had a lot of difficulty. Your one up on me my stability isn't enough to work at the moment. Or at least I haven't found the job that acomodates my special needs.

Take care and hope to hear from you again.
  • Jeffery you gave me some great advice thank you. I'm sure there is a job ou there for you,your last post was very insightful, keep trying!
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    I have 45% hearing loss in my left ear and constant, loud and insistent tinnitus.
    I'm also a Retail outlet manager, and a dog behaviourist - my work entails contact and dealing with people 100% of the time.

if you're reclusive, you need to work on this.... because you've chosen it.

Learn sign language (it's incredible at confidence-building and makes communicating with the deaf and hard-of-hearing very rewarding) and practice lip-reading.
    It helps my hearing a lot if I can see people's lips moving while they talk to me.
    Deafness is only as inhibiting as you let it be,. It can become an excuse for not developing yourself further.
    Sure your self-esteem can suffer, but really, it's up to you to know that the main inhibitor is you.
    Try googling how widespread deafness (or even minor partial deafness) actually is. A huge portion of the population, everywhere, has some degree of hearing loss.
  • Federica you could equally say you have chosen your hearing loss as he has chosen his reclusiveness. In a sense at least he did choose reclusiveness, but that is a loaded word and doesn't do justice to the long sequence of causes and history and perhaps things in the childhood home and genes. But the way to overcome reclusivity is to accept it first. Its like you are anxious when you are self critical of your weight problem, so you eat. First you need to accept your body as it is. Then you can choose something new. You have abilities and resources that not everyone has just as hearing is a limitation. All limitations are limiting and they each have a unique remedy or coping skill.
  • Thx Fred I've been looking into sign language, would love to learn it. Would like to open a business one day and employ someone who is deaf. I hope I can achieve this.
  • edited January 2011
    ive been disabled for almost 30 yrs so i learned a trade for an at home business, being my own boss fixing violins, i work only part time so i have a lot of time on my hands, anything you can do to help people on this forum without hurting anyone is a form of volunteer work, i do it on the maestronet violin forum too. its good to have something to do, one of the biggest problems for unemployed people is self loathing and feelings of inadequacey. Again if your obsessed with reality in the form of societies expectations, theres really no way to win at that game, its alright to be depressed, its alright to be lazy, your still a person or a creature of light......
  • I like that John. (Thinks to self: how the hell do I fix a violin :) )
  • 9 years of apprenticeships with little pay, just like school!!!
  • Did you have to pay them? That would be school haha.
  • usually yes violin making school lots of money...
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited January 2011
    Oh I was hoping they would teach me for free! Seriously how did you get into it? I imagine that would be a story.
  • go to school or find an old retiring maker to apprentice with, no quick fix, for violins that is, no quick fix for suffering either. carefully prescribed medicine can provide a relatively quick fix for depression though, worth considering if its overwhelming you, if its mild your probably better off without meds, though. sincerely john
  • I realized this morning that the light that was out in the kitchen just needed a lightbulb. And I looked for the lightbulbs. And I found them. Then I got on a chair and unscrewed the glass thing. Then I unscrewed the lightbulb. Then I put the new lightbulb in. And so forth...

But for the longest time I didn't know where the lightbulbs were and it seemed hopeless.
  • I regularly experience feelings of inadequacy and loneliness myself. I suspect it's more common than we think. May everyone who suffers from that find a way out.

PS. What helps me ease my discomfort is being of help to someone, which can be as simple as making them smile. Also, being out in the nature, which seems to be an almost infinite source of positive energy (even a city park can work wonders).

• Depression is exceedingly tough. I remember having to battle it for a greater part of my childhood and young adult years and recall going through numerous therapies spanning years on and off. The way I presently deal with episodes of depression is simply to carry on by realizing that episodes of depression are just a natural aspect of humanity. Somehow this acknowledgement in my case makes the episodes less painful, easier to endure, and further helps in motivating me to address any causes if I can do so. Otherwise, I just storm it out and endure depression like a persistent cold whenever the feelings crop up. Depression is inclusionary with practice now.

-/\-

CoffeeBean

• I'm on Citralopram too. It is very good in that it is well tolerated by many patients, and not addictive like some SSRIs. OTOH it isn't very effective for depression. These days, it is more commonly used for things like chronic pain, which is the reason I take it.

I'm on 20mgs per day, which helps my pain, but my depression problems seem unaffected by it. OTOH I have reactive depression, secondary to chronic pain, so its not depressive illness per se. When my pain is better, my mood tends to be better. Mindfulness and meditation are very helpful for my sort of depression and coping with my pain, but they are not enough on their own.

If I were you, go back to your doctor and explain that your depression is not being well managed on Citralopram alone. Maybe you need a different antidepressant that is more effective, but I would also ask about talking therapies, such as CBT. Also ask about support groups in your area - other people can sometimes be a great help.

Remember that depression is an illness - it is not a sign of a weak character, or a bad person, it is just rotten luck, just like any physical illness. I sincerely hope you feel better soon.

• btw, I heard that HMO doctors sometimes push less effective meds because they are generic and thus save the HMO money. You may want to research your med options.
  • ive heard more often doctors push newer non generic medicine that they get kickbacks for prescribing when older generic medicine works as well or better,
  • edited January 2011
    Google 5HTP. It's a supplement. It works for something like 40% of people with the Big D. You'll know in the first week or two. It was used to treat the Big D by actual MD psychiatrists before the advent of costly (extremely profitable) SSRIs. Best part? Take it for 30 days only - to kickstart your brain's production of serotonin, if it works: great! You're off "drugs." Hopefully: no more taking 365 $5.00 pills a year. I wish you well! :nyah:
  • I regularly experience feelings of inadequacy and loneliness myself. I suspect it's more common than we think.
    Indeed, very much more common.
  • edited January 2011
    ive heard more often doctors push newer non generic medicine that they get kickbacks for prescribing when older generic medicine works as well or better,
    Kind of off topic but I JUST DISCOVERED my generic blood pressure medication was made some place in India! Maybe a few miles from Bhopal? Very scary. Up until a year or so ago I had complete faith in my assumed "made in USA" drugs: no more! Sorry for going off topic. Now? I have to work on getting NON-generic. Funny stuff, huh?

:screwy:
  • you seem to trust india enough for the buddha, why not your medication?