Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

So, does a modern Buddhist still aspire to become enlightened?

Do you as a modern Buddhists still aspire into becoming enlightenment? If not, then why do you follow Buddhism... :p I would like to hear your views on the subject...

Comments

• Yes. *with a sorta weak voice* :crazy:
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    If by "enlightenment," you mean something other than what is written in books or spoken from various podiums, please let us know. If what you mean by "enlightenment" is just what is written in books or spoken from various podiums, then no, I certainly do not aspire to that.

To the extent that I aspire to anything, it's common sense. Buddhism as a practice strikes me as seriously common-sensical.
  • zidanguszidangus Veteran
    I do aspire for this, but I realise that it most likely will not be in this life that it happens :-/
  • I do aspire for this, but I realise that it most likely will not be in this life that it happens :-/
    What is missing for you to accomplish your goal?
  • Do you as a modern Buddhists still aspire into becoming enlightenment? If not, then why do you follow Buddhism... :p I would like to hear your views on the subject...
    Absolutly, that is the path isnt it? There is either striving to become enlightened or giving up - in the dharmapada(282) this choice is presented as a choice between decay and growth. There must always be growth, I guess until one is fully enlightened.

• Lazy_eyeLazy_eye Veteran
    Is there any special reason why a modern Buddhist shouldn't aspire to it?
  • zidanguszidangus Veteran
    I do aspire for this, but I realise that it most likely will not be in this life that it happens :-/
    What is missing for you to accomplish your goal?
    Commitment that is why I am a lay Buddhist and not a monk
  • Is there any special reason why a modern Buddhist shouldn't aspire to it?
    Really. I second that. There is not really a difference between "modern Buddhism" and classical Buddhism except for the cultural overlay.

Aspiring for "enlightenment" goes without saying. That is, liberation from the cycle of suffering. I think all Buddhists practice for that reason.
  • edited May 2011
    Hi budding_flower:

The Buddha has disciples of various types and levels. There are people who wanted to practice the Eightfold Path in full to experience their full potential in this very life. There are many people who want to practice various aspects of the teaching to a certain degree to improve the quality of their daily life.

Practices such as abandoning negative words, thoughts, action, and doing good deeds contribute to the world we live in and is beneficial oneself as well . It serves as a cause for positive effects to come about.

Practices such as being fully in the moment, appreciating what is without the interference of thought can increase contentment in every moment of our daily life.

Practicing meditation can promote physical , mental, and emotional well-being.

I am not attached to enlightenment and just practice for the benefits that can be experienced here and now. But when we just focus on developing the cause and conditions for enlightenment, it is likely to unfold on its own due to cause and effect:

"For a person endowed with virtue, consummate in virtue, there is no need for an act of will, 'May freedom from remorse arise in me.' It is in the nature of things that freedom from remorse arises in a person endowed with virtue, consummate in virtue.

"For a person free from remorse, there is no need for an act of will, 'May joy arise in me.' It is in the nature of things that joy arises in a person free from remorse.

"For a joyful person, there is no need for an act of will, 'May rapture arise in me.' It is in the nature of things that rapture arises in a joyful person.

"For a rapturous person, there is no need for an act of will, 'May my body be serene.' It is in the nature of things that a rapturous person grows serene in body.

"For a person serene in body, there is no need for an act of will, 'May I experience pleasure.' It is in the nature of things that a person serene in body experiences pleasure.

"For a person experiencing pleasure, there is no need for an act of will, 'May my mind grow concentrated.' It is in the nature of things that the mind of a person experiencing pleasure grows concentrated.

"For a person whose mind is concentrated, there is no need for an act of will, 'May I know & see things as they actually are.' It is in the nature of things that a person whose mind is concentrated knows & sees things as they actually are.

"For a person who knows & sees things as they actually are, there is no need for an act of will, 'May I feel disenchantment.' It is in the nature of things that a person who knows & sees things as they actually are feels disenchantment.

"For a person who feels disenchantment, there is no need for an act of will, 'May I grow dispassionate.' It is in the nature of things that a person who feels disenchantment grows dispassionate.

"For a dispassionate person, there is no need for an act of will, 'May I realize the knowledge & vision of release.' It is in the nature of things that a dispassionate person realizes the knowledge & vision of release.

"In this way, dispassion has knowledge & vision of release as its purpose, knowledge & vision of release as its reward. Disenchantment has dispassion as its purpose, dispassion as its reward. Knowledge & vision of things as they actually are has disenchantment as its purpose, disenchantment as its reward. Concentration has knowledge & vision of things as they actually are as its purpose, knowledge & vision of things as they actually are as its reward. Pleasure has concentration as its purpose, concentration as its reward. Serenity has pleasure as its purpose, pleasure as its reward. Rapture has serenity as its purpose, serenity as its reward. Joy has rapture as its purpose, rapture as its reward. Freedom from remorse has joy as its purpose, joy as its reward. Skillful virtues have freedom from remorse as their purpose, freedom from remorse as their reward.

"In this way, mental qualities lead on to mental qualities, mental qualities bring mental qualities to their consummation, for the sake of going from the near to the Further Shore." - Cetana Sutta: An Act of Will (AN 11.2)

With metta,
  • Call it "enlightenment," "liberation," "awakening"-- but whatever it is, it isn't going to be whatever I (or anyone else) might imagine it to be.

But I don't focus on it-- I try more to focus on practise without any goal in mind, and I let the path take me where it will. Otherwise enlightenment becomes just another attachment (hence all those strange Zen paradoxes about to attaining the way is to lose it, etc.)

Dogen wrote (more than once) that practise IS enlightenment. Maybe one day I'll realise just what he meant.

• In Zen, for example, there's no fixed end point of enlightment. Even if you have some kind of realization, or awakening the practice never stops.
  • edited May 2011
    Yes, this and compassion towards others is why we're Buddhists.
    Do you as a modern Buddhists still aspire into becoming enlightenment? If not, then why do you follow Buddhism... :p I would like to hear your views on the subject...
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited May 2011
    I practice to learn skills to realize my potential whatever that may be. Even if my potential is just to be more accepting of my flaws. Which is probably the case. I don't practice to become a buddha anymore. But I wouldn't mind learning wisdom. Often it is more wise to be kind and empathetic than it is to know 'answers'. Have you ever noticed that when you have a problem what is actually helpful? If the dharma isn't effective in your problems then either the dharma is worthless or else you don't understand it as you need to.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    I practice to learn skills to realize my potential whatever that may be. Even if my potential is just to be more accepting of my flaws. Which is probably the case. I don't practice to become a buddha anymore. But I wouldn't mind learning wisdom. Often it is more wise to be kind and empathetic than it is to know 'answers'. Have you ever noticed that when you have a problem what is actually helpful? If the dharma isn't effective in your problems then either the dharma is worthless or else you don't understand it as you need to.
    Nicely put.
  • I liked the Zen approach on enlightment, practice never ceases... :)
  • And the 'loosing the way you will at the end find it'....
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    i practice to relieve my own suffering, the suffering i cause others, and to help others' suffering of which i do not directly relate to. if this is enlightenment, then so be it. i honestly don't really think about becoming enlightened though. i practice buddhism because i can see how it helps.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Enlightenment is NOT the goal.

Cessation of suffering is the Goal.

The Buddha taught:
    I come to teach the origin of suffering and the cessation of suffering.
    Enlightenment is a possible result and a bonus.

But its not an aspiration.
    It is a consequence.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    In the Tibetan tradition there are three motivations in Buddhism: to become happy and free from suffering in this life, to escape samsara in terms of rebirth, and to free all beings from suffering in all times and directions.

Personally as I said I would fall under the first category.
  • ShutokuShutoku Veteran
    My understanding is that in Soto Zen, you do not practice to become enlightened. Why? Because enlightenment then becomes another attachment.
    Keeping in mind we already are our true nature. All enlightenment is about is experiential knowledge of this.
    The trick is you cannot get it by grasping for it. You get it by letting go.

All that said, I'm not Soto Zen really, though that is where I started.
    I am Jodo Shinshu and we do not aspire for enlightenment in this life, but believe we are assured attaining nirvana at the end of this life.
  • Do you as a modern Buddhists still aspire into becoming enlightenment? If not, then why do you follow Buddhism... :p I would like to hear your views on the subject...
    I don't aspire becoming enlightenment anymore because I know I will not become anything other than what I am right now. There is no goal and nowhere to go.

• DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited May 2011
    Do you as a modern Buddhists still aspire into becoming enlightenment?
    The appropriate aspiration is to be free from suffering & its causes.

It is best we are accutely aware of suffering or unsatisfactoriness we need to cure in our lives.

Otherwise, to aspire for enlightenment & other glittering things like jhanas will not lead far, if anywhere.

Just like department stores fill their cash registers with $$$ by selling glittering things, there are Buddhist teachers who fill alms bowls & monastery coffers by selling glittering things.

Take care

• seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    As I see it, enlightenment = the end of suffering. So yes I aspire to get enlightenment.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    Personally? I just want to know how things really are. That's been a drive since early adolescence, and I've never found any comfort in telling myself stories to try and assuage my fears. The only thing that brings comfort is knowing.

That wanting to know is part of my suffering. The end of this suffering is one thing to have some small interest in. ;) Afterward, I think the best course would be to teach, to help others know how to overcome their conditioning. There is nothing to attain, because you can't keep anything (despite the best efforts of the Pharaohs). We can only alter our circumstances, and help others in whatever way we can.
  • VincenziVincenzi Veteran
    yes... to the point of researching to know if I have "entered the stream" :)
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    So I take it you don't think you're an anagami anymore, eh Vince? ;)
  • VincenziVincenzi Veteran
    an anagami has also entered the stream ;)
  • So, does a modern Buddhist still aspire to become enlightened?

Yeah, but no, but yeah, but no.

• Yeah, but no, but yeah, but no.
    Hee hee
  • Why do so many buddhists see mundane enlightenment as heresy?
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    What's mundane enlightenment, @thickpaper?
  • What's mundane enlightenment, @thickpaper?
    It seems from the early suttras that enlightenment was a relatively simple thing, sometimes achieved in a night. Also it seems that when enlightened the Buddha just kept taking care of business (teaching dharma) for the next 50 years.

Mundane enlightenment is the idea that nibanna is merely complete dis-attachment and the path to this is important, practical, methodological but not in any sense "out of this world."

This is what I believe, that maybe many buddhists are enlightened or close to it, but, because they expect supramundane enlightenment, they don't see that they are.

It is not an idea that is well accepted it seems, I was wondering why that was.

• CloudCloud Veteran
    edited May 2011
    I think you'd know if you were enlightened; at the same time, enlightenment can just be a mental transformation going from ignorant of true reality to having full clarity, and thus the mind releasing the fetters that lead to thirst and thus suffering (and so not necessarily having anything to do with ending a "literal" cycle of rebirths so much as the cycle of defilement). That's about half-way what you say, but it's still not "mundane". It's not outside of our realm of experience, but rather outside of our normal realm of experience... it's just so different from the way our minds work now.

Right now our minds are based on tanha/thirst and we're driven by this thirst; enlightenment is a mind based purely on knowing, with the tanha cut off, and so it's foreign to our thinking. It's certainly not just understanding the teachings and saying "Yup, that's how it is.", it's an actual transformation that leads the mind to ultimate peace. If there's not that ultimate peace, it's not the Buddha's type of enlightenment. Enlightenment is here and now, it is clarity of vision and release, regardless of what one thinks it changes about death (no longer being literally reborn etc.).
  • I think you'd know if you were enlightened;

Maybe, unless maybe you expect mountains to move. More likely to me is that the destination of nibbana is unimportant, it is the path to that destination that matters.

>>>That's about half-way what you say, but it's still not "mundane". It's not outside of our realm of experience, but rather outside of our normal realm of experience... it's just so different from the way our minds work now.

There is a line in either the gospel of thomas or the dharmapada 9I have been reading them side by side this week)where its said how we are born as part of the one but as we grow we get these ego divisions (my paraphrasing misses the elegance). It made me think that maybe before we start getting worldly corruptions soon after birth, then we are in nibanna. That that state of being unatttached to the dukka of life is nibanna, the same state of the womb, the Buddha and perhaps many of us for brief glimpses. That may be nonsense.

>>>Right now our minds are based on tanha/thirst and we're driven by this thirst;

Actually I am pretty undriven by tanha now.

>>>>enlightenment is a mind based purely on knowing, with the tanha cut off, and so it's foreign to our thinking.

I don't really see it as a mind of pure "knowing" but as a mind of pure wisdom, they are very different states to me. There is very little to be known but much to strive to be wise about.

>>>It's certainly not just understanding the teachings and saying "Yup, that's how it is.", it's an actual transformation that leads the mind to ultimate peace.

I do not believe we can be certain about any of this.

What do you think happened to the young man in the potting shed, who became enlightened after a night talking with the Budda? I think the Buddha taught him something, it discovering this teaching that interests me and guides my practice.

>>>>If there's not that ultimate peace, it's not the Buddha's type of enlightenment.

I do not believe in the binary view of enlightenment, because I cannot fit it in with my view of Dharma. I respect those that do hold such views.

>>>>Enlightenment is here and now, it is clarity of vision and release, regardless of what one thinks it changes about death (no longer being literally reborn etc.).

I believe this as well, though I think it is more than just clarity and release, I certainly think clarity and release are central to whatever it might be.

Peace

• CloudCloud Veteran
    To each his own, and as you say we can't really know. The only point I'd bring up is if you think you're not led around by tanha/thirst, you don't understand how subtle and pervasive it is. Everything you do is based on it, or almost everything (just as dukkha is very subtle as well). This thirst, conditioned by and then supported by ignorance, continues to drive us; we are never truly still. ;)
  • To each his own, and as you say we can't really know.
    Yep, much as we would like to.

>>>The only point I'd bring up is if you think you're not led around by tanha/thirst, you don't understand how subtle and pervasive it is.

I disagree, based on my experience and understanding.

>>>>Everything you do is based on it, or almost everything (just as dukkha is very subtle as well). This thirst, conditioned by and then supported by ignorance, continues to drive us; we are never truly still.

Maybe that is how it is for you, it is not that way with me. My issues with dharma theory and practice are many, but they are not do with the subdjugation of tanha. Sure, I let it hook me often, but it certainly does not drive me, though it used to.

I found that when I understood emptiness, impermanence and interdependence in a simple and uncluttered way then Tanha as a motivator became easy extinguish. Then it remains, but as a mere annoyance.