Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Could re-birth just be a false refuge for enternal life?

edited May 2011 in Buddhism Basics
This question has been bugging me for a long time. The Buddha always talked about false refuges, but could this be one itself?

Comments

• taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    mind alone makes the universe. if there is no mind there is no birth, nor death.

where do you stand?
  • I stand next to understanding. Good point though. :-/
  • taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    when you stand in understanding you are in a false refuge. when you stand no where the buddha smiles.

but on the topic of rebirth we will never know for sure.
  • Yes, there is no sure, just probability.
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    Reincarnation is the stuff that Hollywood makes money from. Rebirth is what happened a second ago ... which is to say, all the time.
  • So you are a Mahayana then @genkaku. What do the Mahayana mean by this?
    edited May 2011
    @10jellis -- I really don't know if this is Mahayana or not. I'll take you are your word. Still, even without sects, schools or even Buddhism itself, it just means what is true when you look at your own life...or maybe not.

But if you do decide to take a look, maybe you'll see something in it. A minute ago, you started to read this post. That minute is now gone forever ... sort of. You cannot grasp it or revise it or even remember it perfectly. You were 10jellis when you started reading, but the 10jellis who started reading is gone forever ... and yet something remains, or whispers, or weaves itself into the moment in which 10jellis reads this word.

Spelling things out in this way may sound sexy or profound or wise or just plain nuts, but isn't it just what actually happens? Happens all the time? Birth and death are a package deal. Over and over again. It's not a big deal any more than a daisy is a big deal, but it is worth noticing, if only as a contrast to the notion that 10jellis is the same/different today as s/he was yesterday.
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    edited May 2011
    If there's no rebirth whats the point in teaching liberation. If you believe in rebirth like its an extra life like in a video game, where every thing just picks up where you left off, I suppose that could be considered a false refuge though. My understanding is the only thing that gets passed on is karmic potential, in the next life there's a new body, new experiences, new memories. If you spent time practicing the Dharma in a previous life you have the potential to pick it up again, but its just potential its not automatic.
  • No. The Buddha most likely did discuss 'false refuges' from time to time, however, the acceptance of the Dhamma of reincarnation, or the round of rebirths is part of the first aspect of the eightfold path - right view. Be very careful, a lot of people now a days are starting to develop an indifference to this important aspect of the Buddha's teachings, or flat out deny that it is true, and this can hinder your spiritual progress tremendously. As the Buddha teaches, the round of rebirths is true, accepting it as true is right view, and by doing so you are creating a 'true refuge' for yourself.
    the round of rebirths is true,

Yes, rebirth is fine. Just be a little careful of reincarnation, which seems to mean, for some, that they will wake up tomorrow morning and be Lady Gaga or Thor or the best of all possible tulkus.
  • santhisouksanthisouk Veteran
    edited May 2011
    I have have heard from some people that they enjoy life and they want to be reborn again. That's understandable. I don't think people are taking refuge in re-birth though. I think people are just missing the point. Rebirth is a hard phenomenon to break unless we start aiming to break it. To me that means being able to see and understand the first noble truth.
  • The point of liberation from samsara is, that life is suffering. When you see right, you notice that life is suffering - hence will rather not live again. So wanting to live again does not mean to take "refuge" in eternal life (lives), it only means to have wrong view or wrong understanding.

As humans we're not guaranteed to live as humans again either - so a new life could be worse than this one. Even though live as a human can be miserable enough already.

If you believe it that literally, though. To me personally "rebirth" seems possible if the "big bounce" theory is true and the world is driven by quite strict rules, meaning that everything will happen all over again forever with the small differences a stable, yet chaotic system provides - like Langton's ant..
  • robotrobot Veteran
    What I have learned from rebirth threads, mainly from DD, is this. Belief in rebirth is wrong view because it promotes clinging to life and death. It is dualistic thinking and it distracts from understanding what it means to go beyond coming and going. Time spent daydreaming about past and future lives is better spent thinking about getting a new job or a new girlfriend. It is mundane and not much use.
  • I know that my point of view is not in keeping with Buddhist teachings, as far as I know, but it makes more sense to me. I've come to the conclusion, from observing myself and other people, that our efforts in this life will determine our state of consciousness, and therefore, determine our place in the next form of existence. If we remain caught up in the petty desires of the world at death- we will pass on to a place that reflects them. We will continue to do so until we evolve beyond what this world can teach us. Maybe that's why some people seem to have everything in this world. They spend all of their lives seeking it and remaining in this world. Some may make it to the top and seek to help others rather than themselves- they may be ready to "move on". People who commit vicious acts may have to live in a more brutal world to match their own negative consciousness. People who have inner strength and vision could move on to a place where they can develop those aspects further.

I could be totally wrong and maybe risk attachment to this concept, but I believe it's worth striving for. I don't think of it as the heaven and hell described in other religions. I believe that there are limitless planes of existence available for our development.

So, when I watch TV, read blogs, books, or articles, choose friends and associates- I am mindful of how they will affect my state of consciousness. Will they inspire a healthy perspective or a corrupt one? I still do pay attention to pop culture, but with a different attitude. I'm more analytical about what is being presented to us.

Sorry to go on and on. JMO.

• Rebirth - salvation - nirvana - enlightenment - liberation - can all be imbued with falseness through misinterpretation. Eternal life is the big - huge attempt to allay the enormity of ceasing to be as a result of death. Planes of existence - heaven - pureland - are wonderful - creative - imaginative alternatives to the emptiness of non-being. Falsity has only to do with holding such mental creations as goals for which to strive.
  • I believe in order to teach someone to not do any evil, you must explain to them what does evil mean, what evils they must not do, why must they must not do them, and how to avoid doing them. All this has made buddhism complex and difficult to understand for most people. If you only need to tell something to someone one time such as..."Dont do any evil, because all of it will come back to you", then there wouldn't be a need to explain anything further because you've already given them that information. But because it is human to do evil and commit evil acts, we need to be taught what is "evil", how to avoid doing those things, what the outcomes are, and how to be happy without having to do those kinds of things.

with metta

• We've always had eternal life, it's just becoming aware of it. Samsara is beginningless and Nirvana is endless. There is never non-existence, just unrecognized potential.
  • Or unmanifest potential, as in the case of pralayas.
  • @vajraheart

Something a bit random here; do you believe than when we are re-born we are a different person but made with the same building blocks (but built in a different way), or the same person (sub-consciously)?
  • VajraheartVajraheart Veteran
    edited May 2011
    The former over the latter. But, when you are aware of the precession of ones personal order of mind stream particles, sort of speak, you manifest the awareness of beginninglessness as well as the endlessness of ones personal and relative self procession. So no, there is still no self existing self, or inherent soul, but there is awareness of infinite connectivity, and one can now become aware of ones personal connectivity.
  • The Buddha always talked about false refuges, but could this be one itself?
    The Buddha gave different teachings appropriate for different audiences

Rebirth is a refuge for some but not for others

Regards
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited May 2011
    What I have learned from rebirth threads, mainly from DD,
    hahahahaha!

@kayte :bowdown:

Belief in rebirth doesn't necessarily involve "refuge" in the idea of future rebirths. It can simply mean that you're aware to some extent of the chain of past life experiences that brought you to the present point. As someone said above, life is suffering, so who'd want to volunteer for more of that ?! :p (Unless you've taken the bodhisattva vow.) Even if one has attained Enlightenment, awareness of the extreme suffering of much of humanity seems unbearable. But I guess Enlightenment means you can handle that with equanimity. Humanity has such a propensity for shooting itself in the foot, I'm not sure there's much point in coming back as a bodhisattva. The task at hand seems almost hopeless. Extremely daunting, in any case.
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited May 2011
    Belief in rebirth doesn't necessarily involve "refuge" in the idea of future rebirths. It can simply mean that you're aware to some extent of the chain of past life experiences that brought you to the present point. As someone said above, life is suffering, so who'd want to volunteer for more of that ?! :p (Unless you've taken the bodhisattva vow.) Even if one has attained Enlightenment, awareness of the extreme suffering of much of humanity seems unbearable. But I guess Enlightenment means you can handle that with equanimity. Humanity has such a propensity for shooting itself in the foot, I'm not sure there's much point in coming back as a bodhisattva. The task at hand seems almost hopeless. Extremely daunting, in any case.
    What on earth are you babbling on about?

:eek2:

The only thing you have said that makes any sense is: "Enlightenment means you can handle that with equanimity".

But then, as you said: "But I guess"

:-/
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited May 2011
    hahahahaha!
    Hi

The Buddha unambiguously advised rebirth belief does not accord with liberation or the path. The Buddha taught rebirth belief is right view for ordinary people.

If you wish to laugh at the Buddha, that is your choice.

All the best

:)
    And what is the right view that has effluents, sides with merit, & results in acquisitions? 'There is what is given, what is offered, what is sacrificed. There are fruits & results of good & bad actions. There is this world & the next world. There is mother & father. There are spontaneously reborn beings; there are priests & contemplatives who, faring rightly & practicing rightly, proclaim this world & the next after having directly known & realized it for themselves.' This is the right view that has effluents, sides with merit, & results in acquisitions.

"And what is the right view that is without effluents, transcendent, a factor of the path? The discernment, the faculty of discernment, the strength of discernment, analysis of qualities as a factor for Awakening, the path factor of right view of one developing the noble path whose mind is noble, whose mind is free from effluents, who is fully possessed of the noble path. This is the right view that is without effluents, transcendent, a factor of the path.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/mn/mn.117.than.html
  • Belief in rebirth doesn't necessarily involve "refuge" in the idea of future rebirths. It can simply mean that you're aware to some extent of the chain of past life experiences that brought you to the present point. As someone said above, life is suffering, so who'd want to volunteer for more of that ?! :p (Unless you've taken the bodhisattva vow.) Even if one has attained Enlightenment, awareness of the extreme suffering of much of humanity seems unbearable. But I guess Enlightenment means you can handle that with equanimity. Humanity has such a propensity for shooting itself in the foot, I'm not sure there's much point in coming back as a bodhisattva. The task at hand seems almost hopeless. Extremely daunting, in any case.

:eek2:

The only thing you have said that makes any sense is: "Enlightenment means you can handle that with equanimity".

But then, as you said: "But I guess"

:-/
    Many people have many different views (some personal), so I wouldn't say Dakini was babbling on at all, just showing his personal beliefs.
  • her...
  • edited May 2011
    sorry
    :p
  • It's ok... Dakini is just a female kind of goddess.
  • I mean, in original meaning of the word. ;)
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited May 2011
    hahahahaha!
    Hi

The Buddha unambiguously advised rebirth belief does not accord with liberation or the path. The Buddha taught rebirth belief is right view for ordinary people.

If you wish to laugh at the Buddha, that is your choice.

All the best

And what is the right view that has effluents, sides with merit, & results in acquisitions? 'There is what is given, what is offered, what is sacrificed. There are fruits & results of good & bad actions. There is this world & the next world. There is mother & father. There are spontaneously reborn beings; there are priests & contemplatives who, faring rightly & practicing rightly, proclaim this world & the next after having directly known & realized it for themselves.' This is the right view that has effluents, sides with merit, & results in acquisitions.

"And what is the right view that is without effluents, transcendent, a factor of the path? The discernment, the faculty of discernment, the strength of discernment, analysis of qualities as a factor for Awakening, the path factor of right view of one developing the noble path whose mind is noble, whose mind is free from effluents, who is fully possessed of the noble path. This is the right view that is without effluents, transcendent, a factor of the path.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/mn/mn.117.than.html
    It may seem like that if you read what you want to read, but what you don't quote is this part:
    "And what is wrong view? 'There is nothing given, nothing offered, nothing sacrificed. There is no fruit or result of good or bad actions. There is no this world, no next world, no mother, no father, no spontaneously reborn beings; no priests or contemplatives who, faring rightly & practicing rightly, proclaim this world & the next after having directly known & realized it for themselves.' This is wrong view.

• edited May 2011
    I mean, in original meaning of the word. ;)
    ;)
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited May 2011
    Well, I took the OP as a question mainly for believers in rebirth, but perhaps it isn't. But to clarify: just because one accepts rebirth doesn't mean future rebirths ("refuge in eternal life) are going to happen. Belief in rebirth does mean that one may have a perspective over (if not memories of) what has gone before, and how one got to where one is today. But I'm not interested in "eternal life" if it means coming back over and over again to this sorry planet, and this morass of suffering humanity. Who in their right mind would volunteer for that ??! If we play our cards right, this will be our last round, and then we'll be free--no more rebirths! :clap: Of course, I wouldn't expect non-believers in rebirth to feel this makes any sense.
    hahahahaha!
    Allow me to explain. What I've learned from the D-Dicious One, and others, is that one can find suttric material to bolster one's position, no matter what it is, and so becoming attached to scripture on certain questions, as to a security blanket, seems a bit pointless. In fact, I had a thread asking what we're to make of the canon if it's so contradictory that debates rage on for pages, each side quoting scripture to support completely opposing views. The responses I got from mods and members was that one reads the texts and makes up one's own mind, irrespective of what other's believe the suttras say.

But speaking frankly, I don't care what the Buddha taught about rebirth. After having an experience of past-life recall, I believe in rebirth, based on my own experience. (yeah, yeah, I know: "thought formations". We don't have to flog that particular dead horse here, do we? :rolleyes: ) If people choose not to believe in rebirth, I think that's a perfectly rational choice. I rejected rebirth for decades, myself. If people choose to believe, because they feel it makes sense, or they have past life recall, that's fine, too. The thing is, when we have no attachment to how others believe, then we're free to enjoy the full spectrum of human diversity, which IMO is very precious. Spiritual, musical, linguistic, cultural and ethnic diversity is one thing that makes life worth living. How sad (not to mention: BO-ring!) life would be if everyone thought alike, believed alike, lived and behaved and dressed alike, all to one uniform beat? If you do or don't accept rebirth, it's all good. :) Vive la difference!
  • This question has been bugging me for a long time. The Buddha always talked about false refuges, but could this be one itself?
    There's a contradiction in this question. If our goal is to develop our practice to attain Enlightenment, i.e. Liberation from the cycle of death and rebirth, then our goal is to avoid eternal life. Our goal is to end the cycle of rebirth as soon as we can via dedicated and ever-more-skillful practice. Furthermore, the desire for eternal life is itself a form of clinging. One goal of practice is to let go, to not cling. And there's also the point that it's not "us" that returns, anyway. There's no "self" that returns (except in Mahayana beliefs, where there's a "very subtle mind" or consciousness, that some refer to as a "self". Not to open another can of worms...). There's only karmic potential that continues on. According to some.
    edited May 2011
    One goal of practice is to let go, to not cling. And there's also the point that it's not "us" that returns, anyway. There's no "self" that returns (except in Mahayana beliefs, where there's a "very subtle mind" or consciousness, that some refer to as a "self".
    Ok, you brought it up so.

Where at all is that a Mahayana teaching? Nagarjuna never taught that, as he taught that there is not one aspect of reality that arises from itself. Yogachara and Chittamatra schools don't teach that either. The alayavinjana or storehouse consciousness is also considered dependently originated and empty of inherent existence, so is not to be ascribed with the notion of pure selfhood. Also the text the Parinirvana Sutra which plenty of Westerns and Neo-Tantrics (as well as the Dark Zen group) quote to prove that Buddha taught of a self is misunderstood. It's talking about the realized yogi who is fully aware of the relative nature of self and thus illumined knows himself and sits in the constant awareness of his process, making a stable abode in that insight. Thus, it's not referencing a self existence, nor a singular self of all like monist idealists such as Vedantins do.

Now, if you can find a quote that supports this idea that Mahayana teaches about a permanent, self caused existence, please do! I'd be interested in seeing this. :)

• DakiniDakini Veteran
    V-heart, there was an HHDL quote that said that on one of the threads.
  • edited May 2011
    That quote comes from the thread: "Rebirth =/= separation of body + mind" , under "Advanced Ideas".
    HHDL: "Now that very subtle consciousness, which is the self, heads into the next life."

I found more on this at: www.viewonbuddhism.org/rebirth_reincarnation.html

"Death is in Tibetan Buddhism defined as 'the separation of the most subtle body and mind from the more gross aspects of the body and mind.' As this separation is a gradual process, death is not a point in time, like in Western thought, but it describes a period during which this separation occurs. ... [After a time in the bardo state] the most subtle body/mind is connected to the fertilized egg" to begin a new rebirth.

Vajraheart, feel free to shed light on this use of the word "self", if you can.

• Vajraheart, feel free to shed light on this use of the word "self", if you can.
    Ah, thanks. Having read plenty of HHDL's teachings, he's talking about the individual seed level of the individual self, in a relative sense, not an ultimate sense. I've already elaborated on this throughout a number of threads touching this topic tonight.

Thanks for bringing up the quote. It's in reference to various teachings in Yogachara and Chittamatra teachings of Mahayana from Asanga, derived from various sources in the Pali Cannon and Sanskrit Sutras. Which very clearly state that the Alayavijnana is to be untied of any self attachments, which then flips the personal experience of Alayavijnana (storehouse of/as seeds of becoming) into the experience of Dharmakaya, the enlightened mind of a Buddha. So, you see it's relative, and not inherently absolute with intrinsic nature.

The subtle nuances are very important to understand. The over all context of the teaching and it's sources need to be understood. What I like about Buddhism, as it does somewhat require one to exercise scholarship. You can't really take anything on face value.

Of course, these teachings, back in the day were taught to those with adequate knowledge of Buddhism in general through the sutas and sutras. These days, people are coming across these teachings without first studying the core teachings and are being confused by the word usage, which of course needs to be referenced. As well, all of HHDL's books are translated from the Tibetan, so one has to take that into account.

All the best! Thanks for the opportunity.
  • The Buddha unambiguously advised rebirth belief does not accord with liberation or the path. The Buddha taught rebirth belief is right view for ordinary people.
    I don't know what you're basing this on. As I see it the distinction between mundane and supramundance right view is that between knowledge of the Buddha's teachings and direct insight into the way things are.
    So it's about a progression from understanding to wisdom, not about some kind of 2-tier system where rebirth and kamma are inferior teachings just for ordinary people, which is what you seem to be suggesting.

Spiny
  • Rebirth is a refuge for some but not for others

What are you basing this on?

Spiny
  • This question has been bugging me for a long time. The Buddha always talked about false refuges, but could this be one itself?

Yes, it could be. There could be an strong emotional attachment to a belief in rebirth, based on a need for continuity beyond death, a fear of extinction, something that many religions capitalise on.
    Which misses the point that the Buddhas teachings on rebirth are not about eternal life but about how our actions in this life determine our next rebirth, ie kamma.

Spiny
  • edited May 2011
    @Vajraheart: That was quite the dissertation. We did have someone posting recently on the Alaya vijnana, and related terminology, so I was able to follow you. So in HHDL's terms, the "very subtle mind" releases from any self attachments at the time of death, even though it still carries seeds that were generated during the deceased's lifetime?

Let me know when you open an online school.
    edited May 2011
    @Vajraheart: That was quite the dissertation. We did have someone posting recently on the Alaya vijnana, and related terminology, so I was able to follow you. So in HHDL's terms, the "very subtle mind" releases from any self attachments at the time of death, even though it still carries seeds that were generated during the deceased's lifetime?
    @compassionate_warrior

The formless level of the seeds, which has to do with the pali suttas description of the dependent origination continuum of the individual, is the alaya vijnana. The term alaya vijnana is just the very subtle level of this continuum, it's not a real self existence, it's just a term for the formless, non-gross aspects of self grasping, and ignorance, as well as the various elements, like fire, water... etc. on a formless level where they are more experienced as colors and radiance's. Since these seeds hadn't formed into the body and brain and are still waiting for their conditions to ripen and come out in another body and brain, they will do so in the next body and brain of the future life. As you, in all your depths of relative identities, are not the sum total of all that is in your body and brain at least on the gross level, not all the impressions will die with this body, only some... so... because of this... the mind stream keeps going past the body to another body in order for these impressions to be expressed.

Just like you are not the sum total of all the different clothes you have worn, when they wear out, or you stop liking that style, that impression dies with those clothes, and you pick up new clothes in order to express a different condition or seed of self value, or self identity.

Since, time without beginning, this cycling has been going on, it can get nitty gritty when you get into the inner energy work where awareness transcends the gross physical body level. Just like you are more complicated than your clothes, your energy is more complicated than your body, and your energy is nothing other than your mind which has conscious, subconscious and unconscious layers. This is where you start getting into "Chakra" awareness. Illuminating the unconscious with awareness is what the Buddhist path is all about. That's when you get into the formless level samadhis or jhanas, the upper 4 as apposed to the lower 4. The Jhanas of infinite space, infinite consciousness, infinite nothingness, neither perception nor non-perception. That's where your Alayavijnana is. :) Beyond that is direct perception of the entire spectrum of dependent origination, the space of Buddhic realization, the Dharmakaya, the Tathagatagarbha, and now all those impressions as the Alayavijnana that once reflected bondage since beginningless time, body after body, now reflect liberation endlessly... from here you've got true freedom of expression as free from solidified self identity. ;)
  • FoibleFullFoibleFull Canada Veteran
    Any belief not based off of personal experience, is an exercise in finding the security of "knowing" how things "really are".
    Doesn't matter whether we are convinced of rebirth, or convinced of no-rebirth.

We all want certainty, "ground under our feet", and the rebirth issue is a big source for that. But enlightenment requires a tolerance for "groundlessness", so perhaps it's better just not to get too hooked by either side of the argument. It is okay to believe either way, but I think it is always best to understand that belief is not knowledge. In Tibetan, there are two different words for the one English word "know". One of these words means you know because someone told you so. And the other word means you know because you experienced it yourself firsthand. I wish we had that distinction in the English language.
  • One of these words means you know because someone told you so. And the other word means you know because you experienced it yourself firsthand. I wish we had that distinction in the English language.
    Yes, Sanskrit has these distinctions as well. Even if one believes out of tradition, there is going to be a nagging doubt until there is direct knowledge.