Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

When someone attacks or acts against or aggressively towards you

snGussnGus Veteran
edited July 2011 in Buddhism Basics
I've been reading about the Buddha teachings and in the book Good Question Good Answer by Ven. S. Dammika, the 11th chapter entitled Some Sayings of the Buddha, at page 60 to 62, it says, among others, these Buddha teaching is:

"If anyone abuses you, hits you, throws stones at you or strikes you with
a stick or a sword, you must put aside all worldly desires and consid-
erations and think, ‘My heart will not be moved. I shall speak no evil
words. I will feel no resentment but maintain kindness and compassion
for all beings.’ You should think like this. M.I,126"

"Those who keep thinking, ‘He abused me!’ ‘He struck me!’ ‘He op-
pressed me!’ ‘He robbed me!’ never still their hatred. But those who
let go of such thoughts will. For in this world hatred is never stilled by
more hatred. It is love that stills hatred, this is an eternal truth. Dp.3-5"

So the Buddhism is about unconditional forgiveness? There are so many people in the word who make us harm and by being Buddhist I’d have to simply accept their bad actions? Wouldn’t that be not only a disrespect against me but to all the concepts of Buddhism, such as respect and delivering good treatment to everyone and every being in the word? If I fought back against the ones who made me harm then I’d be destroying them and preventing them from making me and my loved ones harm again. So what’s up with this Buddha teaching? Is it absolute notwithstanding its said consequences?

I’m not the only one who have this doubt or sees this would-be paradox:

"Not all Buddhists follow the non-violent path, however. A Buddhist monk, Phra Kittiwutthi of the Phra Chittipalwon College in Thailand, is noted for his extreme right-wing views. He said that it was not a breech of the first precept to kill communists. He said that if Thailand were in danger of a communist takeover, he would take up arms to protect Buddhism. Sulak Sivaraksa, a Thai peace activist, reports in his book, "Seeds of Peace" that Phra Kittiwutthi has since modified his stance by declaring "to kill communism or communist ideology is not a sin". Sulak adds that the monk confessed that his nationalist feelings were more important than his Buddhist practice and that he would be willing to abandon his yellow robes to take up arms against communist invaders from Laos, Cambodia or Vietnam. By doing so, he said, he would be preserving the monarchy, the nation and the Buddhist religion. In contrast to the views of Phra Kittiwutthi, Sulak Sivaraksa reports that the Vietnamese monk, Thich Nhat Hanh is of the view that 'preserving Buddhism does not mean that we should sacrifice people's lives in order to safeguard the Buddhist hierarchy, monasteries or rituals. Even if Buddhism as such were extinguished, when human lives are preserved and when human dignity and freedom are cultivated towards peace and loving kindness, Buddhism can be reborn in the hearts of human beings." (http://www.buddhanet.net/e-learning/budethics.htm )

So how should I deal with this apparently paradox?

Comments

• Buddha didn't say to be a doormat.
  • snGussnGus Veteran
    Buddha didn't say to be a doormat.
    So what did he say? See how it's important to have access to the actual Dhamma? I lack of understanding and I want to be indoctrinated. I even started another thread about recommended readings on Buddhism.
  • taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    i could give you the answers, but that would be doing a disservice to you.

meditate and practice.
    any knowledge gained by reading or from somewhere else just becomes more baggage.
    examine everything for yourself. what is happening right here and right now?
    who are you? what are your assumption about reality and mind?

in zen we ask if you don't think what happens?

true love isn't an emotion. our whole being is true unconditional love. ask yourself what is it like to be?
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    The anger to destroy them is a distortion of the quality to overcome your problems and be happy. Extreme examples sometimes make this hard to see, but say you have a boss who is snubbing you. And you get resentful. It could be constructive to talk to your boss about this but that is difficult due to the distortion.

If I am angry with the my insurance agent for something in my bill I become suspicious about how they are ripping me off and corrupt. But if I process my anger and talk to them considerately about my concerns it is much more constructive.

For example if you are angry with a mouse because it has disease and is making noise you might kill it with a death trap instead of a trap that catches the mouse alive. The mouse doesn't benefit you dead, you are not going to eat it and the satisfaction you get from destroying it is worse poison than the mouse eats because it conditions you. You might not love the mouse but when you are an unloving person with less regard for others (and that gets conditioned) that affects: your meditation, your relationships, your peace, your ideation (you want to destroy yourself when you make mistake), etc
  • YishaiYishai Veteran
    If somebody strikes you, and you strike back. How will they respond? By striking back. Then you strike back. They strike you. You strike them. They strike you. You strike them. There is no end. There is no peace. That is the truth Buddha is talking about.
  • tmottestmottes Veteran
    This story is coming from a bit of a different perspective, but I still think it has some value here. It was found on:

http://www.creativecrystalbuddha.com/the-famous-conversation-between-purna-and-buddha/
    Purna was one of the foremost and eminent disciples of the Buddha. He came from a rich and wealthy family, and was well loved by his parents. However, Purna felt that all this love and wealth were only transient and were not of much consequence. He took refuge in the Buddha. He soon became an Arhant, considered to be the highest state of development. Purna once wanted to spread the gospel of Buddha to a place called Sronaparanta. Sronaparanta was an underdeveloped region, whose residents were considered to be furious and abusive people, prone to attack missionaries. Buddha forbade Purna from setting forth on this mission. However, Purna wanted to go ahead with the mission, and the following debate ensued between Buddha and Purna.

Purna: Lord Buddha, I am thankful to you for all the compassion you have shown us in teaching the path to Nirvana. I want to repay my gratitude by spreading the word of Dharma to far of places like Sronaparanta.

Buddha: Those people are known for their wicked and vile ways. What would you do if they were to hurl abuses at you, and speak to you in obscene language?

Purna: I would love them for being affable enough not to hit me with their hands.

Buddha: What if they hit you with their hands and hurl stones at you?

Purna: I would love them for not being rude so as to hit with weapons and clubs.

Buddha: What if they hit you with weapons and clubs?

Purna: I would love them for being content with hitting alone, and for not killing me.

Buddha: what if they kill you as well?

Purna: In that case, I would thank them for helping me to attain the state of Nirvana after relieving me of this wretched existence.

Buddha was overjoyed and praised Purna that he has attained the highest state of perfection. Purna then went on to Sronaparanta in order to teach the Dharma to people there.

This is a very important legend in Buddhism, as it reflects upon the important principles of Buddhism. When Purna insists upon loving the people of Sronaparanta despite their being rude to him, it reflects upon the compassion and tolerance aspects of Buddhism, which are based on the concept of kinship of everything that lives, the kinship being based on the doctrine of reincarnation. When Purna defies death, it illustrates the ideology of Buddhism that suffering is an inherent facet of life; the act of shedding life in preparation for Nirvana, is an event of joy, not an event of sorrow. It illustrates the fact that we must all be detached from everything that is worldly, including our own body.

• "If anyone abuses you, hits you, throws stones at you or strikes you with
    a stick or a sword, you must put aside all worldly desires and consid-
    erations and think, ‘My heart will not be moved. I shall speak no evil
    words. I will feel no resentment but maintain kindness and compassion
    for all beings.’ You should think like this. M.I,126"

"Those who keep thinking, ‘He abused me!’ ‘He struck me!’ ‘He op-
    pressed me!’ ‘He robbed me!’ never still their hatred. But those who
    let go of such thoughts will. For in this world hatred is never stilled by
    more hatred. It is love that stills hatred, this is an eternal truth. Dp.3-5"

The way I interpret this is that you don't need anger and hatred to defend or stand up for yourself. You can still stick up for yourself, but do it from a place of compassion.

Eg if someone insults me, then I can either get offended and defensive and insult them back which is probably going to escalate the situation, or I can stay calm and say something to diffuse the situation, like: "You're entitled to your opinion," or "Why do you say that, you seem really angry at me about something?"

• So the Buddhism is about unconditional forgiveness? There are so many people in the word who make us harm and by being Buddhist I’d have to simply accept their bad actions? If I fought back against the ones who made me harm then I’d be destroying them and preventing them from making me and my loved ones harm again.
    There are ways to combat violence without violence. There are alot of people in my past that were confrontational and downright abusive. When I fought back with equal energy to try and and be tough, to try and defend myself, I complicated and worsened the situation. Sure that person wouldn't threaten me anymore, but I had created bad feelings and awkwardness. I had to find out "why" some of the people who were violent became that way, and I had to learn how to diffuse the situation and speak straight. This required a lot of compassion and understanding while letting go of my desire to "protect me". Protect me from whom? My own reaction? I don't know how to explain what I did without it sounding like I manipulated them in conversation, but I guess you can say I used psychology and proper discourse. Pushing them to realize what they were doing, and not falling into old patterns of conflict. I accidently became a kind of therapist. Using the right words at the right time, and using silence when appropriate is the best way to diffuse a tense situation. There have been people who talked a killer out of a hostage situation, and others who simply sniped the guy... but the first approach had a better outcome. There has only been one person in my past who I have not been able to get through to. I have not been able to figure out how to help that person change, so I had to change instead. Simply put, I am not wise enough to know how to help this person. I had to learn how to stop caring about the attacks, and I removed myself from her life. When times occur when I must interact with her, then I am very much involved in watching my perspectives and emotions to avoid reacting. I am pleasant and kind, but I no longer reach for what is not possible yet with this person. Maybe you are thinking that forgiveness means you should pet the tiger that bit you and say "Oh tiger, you know not what you do and I am a wise person that understands your nature so I- Ow! Son-of-a not again!". Forgive the tiger for being a tiger, but if your not a tiger trainer then don't step back into the cage with him.

• snGussnGus Veteran
    edited July 2011
    The reason I started this thread is not because I'm being harassed or harmed by anyone right now (not that I've never been. Harm and aggression is something everyone faces during life in some occasions).

I came up with this subject because, as some of you may have read in other topics by me, I'm studying and discovering the Dharma and I've learned that one of Buddha's teachings is that I shall not counterattack enemies.

But I don't know how to live without counterattacking. By neutralizing my enemies I have a very joyful feeling.

But there are other situations in life, situations that are not about a person or enemy harming you, in which I can easily understand how to apply the Dharma principles and have a very joyful feeling.

Only when it comes to enemies is that I still didn't understand (or maybe agreed) with the unconditional forgiveness lesson. Maybe I will understand and apply it someday, maybe not.

Anyway the Buddha himself said we shouldn't accept the Dharma teachings without firstly making a personal thinking about it. And I've been making this personal thinking and questioning process and so far I came with the conclusion that compassion and forgiveness are beautiful, necessary and wishful but not absolute. I think there are some occasions---not all---that we must counterattack for not becoming victims and this applies not only to our personal life but to the professional life and and the world as a whole. If someone dishonor or harm someone I love I would counterattack and I would do it not only for protecting the person I love against further aggressions but also for revenge purposes. I think if a potential aggressor is aware he can suffer counterattack if he perform an aggression there will be less chances that he will perform such aggression. And I also think that by revenge and counterattacking enemies of my and my loved ones I am applying the compassion towards them.

I'm still starting on the Dharma and this is my personal conception regarding the unconditional compassion subject. I'm sure most of Buddhists would disagree with that and this reminds me why Buddhism is the only religion I believe: it's because I am able to believe on it's beliefs not for blind worshiping but for rational conclusions.

And, because I'm still a newcomer to the Dharma, I would not be surprised if in the future I changed my conception on this subject. But if it happens, it will certainly be for one reason: because I, by studying the Dharma, rationally reached the conclusion that forgiveness must be unconditional and not because it is the common sense opinion. But by now, I don't have ways to truly believe that. I take compassion and forgiveness as great and wishful things but not as absolute.
  • tmottestmottes Veteran
    edited July 2011
    ...I think there are some occasions---not all---that we must counterattack for not becoming victims and this applies not only to our personal life but to the professional life and and the world as a whole. If someone dishonor or harm someone I love I would counterattack and I would do it not only for protecting the person I love against further aggressions but also for revenge purposes. I think if a potential aggressor is aware he can suffer counterattack if he perform an aggression there will be less chances that he will perform such aggression. And I also think that by revenge and counterattacking enemies of my and my loved ones I am applying the compassion towards them.
    IMHO, when a person takes revenge on another person for a perceived wrong, the vengeance seeker does so with a sense of absolute knowledge (whether they realize it or not). In other words, in order to enact fair judgement and a subsequent punishment, one must have all the information pertinent to the situation. I am certain that this is not possible for most people, if not all.

An aggressor does so out of ignorance*, whether or not it is perceived as justified.**

* Ignorance isn't meant as an insult, but in the buddhist sense of not seeing the true nature of things.
    ** Please note I didn't make the distinction between the person that initiates or reacts.

I struggled with this question as well, but what you will come to realize with enough practice, is that the path will make itself known at the time it is necessary.

• But I don't know how to live without counterattacking. By neutralizing my enemies I have a very joyful feeling.
    Counterattcking is great as long as you win. But how do you feel if your enemy wins the fight?
  • LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    By neutralizing my enemies I have a very joyful feeling.
    You've identified the problem precisely: to protect yourself without gratification of the ego. You can stop an attack without feeling angry about being wronged or happy about getting even. Do what must be done and no more.
  • snGussnGus Veteran

I struggled with this question as well, but what you will come to realize with enough practice, is that the path will make itself known at the time it is necessary.

I hope so. It would be very pleasant to be able to fully handle this matter.
  • snGussnGus Veteran
    But I don't know how to live without counterattacking. By neutralizing my enemies I have a very joyful feeling.
    Counterattcking is great as long as you win. But how do you feel if your enemy wins the fight?
    If I have to counterattack it's because my enemy had previously attacked me so I would already be losing the fight. Counterattacking would then be an attempt to restore the status quo ante.

• taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    the one who doesn't care if they win or lose. that person wins all the time.
  • snGussnGus Veteran
    edited July 2011
    By neutralizing my enemies I have a very joyful feeling.
    You've identified the problem precisely: to protect yourself without gratification of the ego. You can stop an attack without feeling angry about being wronged or happy about getting even. Do what must be done and no more.
    I'm not sure but I think you have understood precisely what I've understood from my studies of the Dharma so far: we don't have to accept and let others to harm us and our loved ones, we must instead neutralize these enemies and if violence is the ONLY way of achieving this decent goal then violence must be used, but for achieving this goal only, without further unnecessary violence.

It makes perfect sense to me and I might be the only one who interprets the Dharma this way, unless you or someone else shares this view.

Actually I'm wondering if I can call myself a Buddhist at all and only because of this subject regarding enemies. All the Dharma makes sense to me and I am loving to know that for 2.500 years people have been teaching views in such an accordance to what I consider as right, but sadly there is this incomplete accordance when it comes to the behavior towards enemies.

• taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    violence against violence only perpetuates more violence.
  • snGussnGus Veteran
    the one who doesn't care if they win or lose. that person wins all the time.
    It's not about winning and loosing. It's about providing a good life to me, my girlfriend, my family and protecting them. The goal is to protect them and make them happy. The goal is not winning or defeating enemies, but neutralizing them so they can't make harm to me, my loved ones and hopefully other beings.
  • taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    their happiness is their business. their happiness is based on their subjective interpretation.
    you can only be sure about your happiness, which is also based on your subjective interpretation.

protect them from what? your mind? again you cannot make them happy, they make themselves happy.

there are no enemies. enemy is a projection from your mind. thus you can make anyone an enemy.

harm only comes if you interpret it as harm. truly if you want to save all beings then liberate yourself from your mind and it's projections. then you can see clearly and act clearly.

not sure why i'm typing this if you find some value in what i say then take it. if not sorry!
  • snGussnGus Veteran
    I have to agree with you. That's why violence must be used to prevent the aggressor from performing further violence. In any hypotheses violence is not effective in avoiding more violence then another strategy must be used to stop the aggressor. As I said, violence must be used only as the last resource.
  • VincenziVincenzi Veteran
    edited July 2011
    @snGus

basically, you have the correct understanding of ahimsa... non-violence includes neutralizing those that do harm, with the less harm possible (there's entire martial arts based on this principle).
  • taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    if someone hits you, that is their business and their nature.

it is only a problem if you make it a problem. so you have a choice to either hit them back, or to just move on.

if they are hitting you and you don't do anything, then there is no incentive for them to keep hitting you. and if they keep hitting you again it is their problem. so yes probably the best thing to do is to run away or probably fight back.

but again it's their problem. you make it a problem by accepting it as a problem.

i know this seems "insane" but it's honestly how it works.
  • snGussnGus Veteran
    their happiness is their business. their happiness is based on their subjective interpretation.
    you can only be sure about your happiness, which is also based on your subjective interpretation.

protect them from what? your mind? again you cannot make them happy, they make themselves happy.

there are no enemies. enemy is a projection from your mind. thus you can make anyone an enemy.

harm only comes if you interpret it as harm. truly if you want to save all beings then liberate yourself from your mind and it's projections. then you can see clearly and act clearly.

not sure why i'm typing this if you find some value in what i say then take it. if not sorry!
    What you're saying has a precious value to me. Right now I can't fully understand and thus I can't fully agree. But as a newcomer to the Dharma my goal is to understand and practice these teachings. I will keep studying and learning. But I can't say when and if I will be able to share this view.

Still, your posts are of great value to me. I'm trying to learn and understand. I'm not trying to indoctrinate anyone on my view. I just need to be enlightened so I can be able to apply this unconditional forgiveness and be happy with it.

So please don't get mad on me because of what I'm saying (If you did get mad).
  • taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    edited July 2011
    lol if i get mad then thats my problem hahahahaha.

because there is only our interpretation and our subjectivity. i cannot control you.
    but i can control how i interpret the world, thus i can reduce my suffering substantially.

but i'm glad you're trying! because if anything buddhism is worth figuring out in this lifetime. you will be a happier person!
  • AmeliaAmelia Veteran
    There are so many people in the word who make us harm and by being Buddhist I’d have to simply accept their bad actions?
    Yes. We can't fix the world. Especially not by imposing our will upon it. We can't take up the sorrows of the world as our own. We just go on and do our best not to contribute to those sorrows.
    "Not all Buddhists follow the non-violent path, however. A Buddhist monk, Phra Kittiwutthi of the Phra Chittipalwon College in Thailand, is noted for his extreme right-wing views. He said that it was not a breech of the first precept to kill communists.
    Is this someone you want to emulate?
    Thich Nhat Hanh is of the view that 'preserving Buddhism does not mean that we should sacrifice people's lives in order to safeguard the Buddhist hierarchy, monasteries or rituals. Even if Buddhism as such were extinguished, when human lives are preserved and when human dignity and freedom are cultivated towards peace and loving kindness, Buddhism can be reborn in the hearts of human beings."
    I want to be indoctrinated.
    We can go from one book to another forever and try to force ourselves to be what the books say, but it's an endless torture. Go easy on yourself.

The Dao that can be named is not the Dao.
    If somebody strikes you, and you strike back. How will they respond? By striking back. Then you strike back. They strike you. You strike them. They strike you. You strike them. There is no end.
    You can still stick up for yourself, but do it from a place of compassion.
    Sounds like something you might need to get over.
    And I've been making this personal thinking and questioning process and so far I came with the conclusion that compassion and forgiveness are beautiful, necessary and wishful but not absolute.
    We need to be careful that we don't mistake rationalization for "thinking for ourselves".
    And, because I'm still a newcomer to the Dharma, I would not be surprised if in the future I changed my conception on this subject.
    Me neither. I changed my mind a lot, too. Still do, but I have slowed down a bit.
    Counterattacking would then be an attempt to restore the status quo ante.
    Ego
  • snGussnGus Veteran
    @snGus

basically, you have the correct understanding of ahimsa... non-violence includes neutralizing those that do harm, with the less harm possible (there's entire martial arts based on this principle).
    That's very interesting, Vincenzi. I've just read a little about ahimsa on Wikipedia. How does it apply into Buddhism? Is it recognized in Buddhism?
  • @snGus

it summarizes the precepts, it is quite important.

note, that by defending I mean something like immovilizing an attacker or dodging... that's quite acceptable :)
  • AmeliaAmelia Veteran
    I'm not sure but I think you have understood precisely what I've understood from my studies of the Dharma so far: we don't have to accept and let others to harm us and our loved ones, we must instead neutralize these enemies and if violence is the ONLY way of achieving this decent goal then violence must be used, but for achieving this goal only, without further unnecessary violence.
    I sense gross misunderstanding.
    Actually I'm wondering if I can call myself a Buddhist at all and only because of this subject regarding enemies.
    Why call ourselves anything? You practice what you practice. To worry about fixing ourselves to match a label we would like to have sounds insane when spelled out.
    It's not about winning and loosing. It's about providing a good life to me, my girlfriend, my family and protecting them.
    Is there anything standing in the way of this right now, or are you just anticipating that there might be in the future?
    I have to agree with you. That's why violence must be used to prevent the aggressor from performing further violence.
    I haven't seen ignorance like this in a while.
  • snGussnGus Veteran
    Actually I'm wondering if I can call myself a Buddhist at all and only because of this subject regarding enemies.
    Why call ourselves anything? You practice what you practice. To worry about fixing ourselves to match a label we would like to have sounds insane when spelled out.
    Actually I meant I wonder if that would take me away from the path to the enlightenment because is summarizes Buddhism, if I'm not wrong.
    It's not about winning and loosing. It's about providing a good life to me, my girlfriend, my family and protecting them.
    Is there anything standing in the way of this right now, or are you just anticipating that there might be in the future?
    I'm anticipating that there might be in the future. And I have good reasons to think that way once our world is full of people and situations that end up in unnecessary and unfair harm against those who intent to live peacefully.
    I have to agree with you. That's why violence must be used to prevent the aggressor from performing further violence.
    I haven't seen ignorance like this in a while.
    It really sounds very contradictory when you don't quote the full statement.

• snGussnGus Veteran
    edited July 2011
    @snGus

note, that by defending I mean something like immovilizing an attacker or dodging... that's quite acceptable :)
    Is there a particular school that recognizes ahimsa or is it accepted by Buddhism as a whole?
  • "If I fought back against the ones who made me harm then I’d be destroying them and preventing them from making me and my loved ones harm again."

If you fought back against the ones who did you harm you would not be destroying them but rather becoming yet another shell for them to inhabit. Vengeance/violence is a disease that preys upon your mind and transmits itself from person to person via action/reaction. You are deluded into believing that by protecting yourself against violent action with violence that you are conquering the threat, when in reality you have become even more endangered by harboring its will within yourself. Even if you win an initial struggle against an aggressor, there will be yet another struggle and another, until finally you reach the point at which you can fight no more and a newer stronger host of violence will crush you just as you did to someone else when you were newer and stronger. It is then you will see that it drove you down the road to your destruction by deceiving you with its (temporary) false sense of security, but at that point it will be too late because your fate was sealed long ago by the path you chose.
  • @snGus

Is there a particular school that recognizes ahimsa or is it accepted by Buddhism as a whole?
    all schools... in their own way. Shakyamuni was against animal sacrifices, as one example.
  • "Every battle is won before it is fought."-Sun Tzu "The Art of War"
    Including and especially the battle for inner Peace.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    Its a judgement call. De-escalation is wise, but if someone is breaking into your home and you have a gun I would shoot.
  • snGussnGus Veteran
    edited July 2011
    @snGus

all schools... in their own way. Shakyamuni was against animal sacrifices, as one example.
    Thanks for teaching me this. So my understanding of self-defense is not against Buddha's teachings. I confirmed it on the "Atta-rakkhita Sutta: Self-protected", which is part of the Kosala-samyutta, the 3rd section of the Sagatha Vagga, which belongs to the Samyutta Nikaya, the third division of the Sutta Pitaka:

"At Savatthi. As he was sitting to one side, King Pasenadi Kosala said to the Blessed One: "Just now, lord, while I was alone in seclusion, this train of thought arose in my awareness: 'Who have themselves protected, and who leave themselves unprotected?' Then it occurred to me: 'Those who engage in bodily misconduct, verbal misconduct, & mental misconduct leave themselves unprotected. Even though a squadron of elephant troops might protect them, a squadron of cavalry troops, a squadron of chariot troops, a squadron of infantry troops might protect them, still they leave themselves unprotected. Why is that? Because that's an external protection, not an internal one. Therefore they leave themselves unprotected. But those who engage in good bodily conduct, good verbal conduct, & good mental conduct have themselves protected. Even though neither a squadron of elephant troops, a squadron of cavalry troops, a squadron of chariot troops, nor a squadron of infantry troops might protect them, still they have themselves protected. Why is that? Because that's an internal protection, not an external one. Therefore they have themselves protected.'"

"That's the way it is, great king! That's the way it is! Those who engage in bodily misconduct, verbal misconduct, & mental misconduct leave themselves unprotected. Even though a squadron of elephant troops might protect them, a squadron of cavalry troops, a squadron of chariot troops, a squadron of infantry troops might protect them, still they leave themselves unprotected. Why is that? Because that's an external protection, not an internal one. Therefore they leave themselves unprotected. But those who engage in good bodily conduct, good verbal conduct, & good mental conduct have themselves protected. Even though neither a squadron of elephant troops, a squadron of cavalry troops, a squadron of chariot troops, nor a squadron of infantry troops might protect them, still they have themselves protected. Why is that? Because that's an internal protection, not an external one. Therefore they have themselves protected."

That is what the Blessed One said. Having said that, the One Well-Gone, the Teacher, said further:
    Restraint with the body is good, good is restraint with speech. Restraint with the heart is good, good is restraint everywhere. Restrained everywhere, conscientious, one is said to be protected."

I took it from http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn03/sn03.005.than.html

• If someone strikes you, you have the option to protect yourself, run away, fight back, or allow the person to strike you as many times as they wish without defending yourself. Different situations calls for different measures. If someone allows another person to strike them without defending themselves, it should be because they are saving a life, or they see that there is no other option than to accept this karma.
  • snGussnGus Veteran
    How do you interpret the Buddha's statement: "Restraint with the body is good, good is restraint with speech. Restraint with the heart is good, good is restraint everywhere. Restrained everywhere, conscientious, one is said to be protected."

Do you think he meant if someone attacks me (in any way, not only physical or moral) I could counterattack for neutralizing the aggressor and setting back the status quo ante?
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited July 2011
    It means not going too far. If you go too far then you pay with your own suffering. Without much mindfulness that suffering isn't even particularly apparent but nonetheless its a huge burden for the excess unknowingly shackled.

You actually have more peace and happiness through restraint. More can think more clearly when you are not afflicted by guilt and resentment rather you are wise.