Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Do Animals Incur Negative Karma?

AllbuddhaBoundAllbuddhaBound Veteran
edited July 2011 in Buddhism Basics
Some animals just by their nature can inflict as much pain and suffering as possible. From paralyzing the victim and scaring them to death, to toying with them as they are dying, animals can be particularly nasty with their prey. Is there a karmic penalty to be paid for this?

Comments

• jlljll Veteran
    No, because they dont make choices. They are driven by instinct.
    A lion cant decide to be a vegetarian, AFAIK.
  • edited July 2011
    No, because they dont make choices. They are driven by instinct.
    A lion cant decide to be a vegetarian, AFAIK.
    Actually, there was a lioness named "Little Tyke" who, despite the efforts of her caretakers, refused to eat meat or do what was thought "natural" of a lion.

http://www.amazon.com/Little-Tyke-gentle-vegetarian-lioness/dp/0835606058

However, you are correct in that most animals are driven by instinct. I'm sure there is karma to be experienced in the animal kingdom, but it is their own to work out. I'm pretty sure it isnt very discernible for most us humans. After all, it's hard enough working with my own karma - let alone wondering about another animals!
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    Yes thats the danger of falling into the lower realms. And thats why there is just a small fraction of beings in the higher compared to lower. The lower realms entangle you more and more in the karma like stuggling in fly paper and getting more and more stuck.

This is why we have a rare human birth and shouldn't waste time.
  • Some animals just by their nature can inflict as much pain and suffering as possible. From paralyzing the victim and scaring them to death, to toying with them as they are dying, animals can be particularly nasty with their prey. Is there a karmic penalty to be paid for this?
    No. Animals are what they are, no more or less. They don't make choices like humans. Even those who believe in reincarnation across the evolutionary divide would say the atman is working off the karma from the human incarnation, and after that wears off, then they default back to the human level eventually. But that's not Buddhism.

• Animals are in a condition of woe due to the fruits of prior action. In my opinion, most of the actions made by animals are non-intentional and driven by prior habit formations, so no "most" of their actions are not karmically effective.

However, there are obviously occasions where an animal does display a form of intention. For example, my dog knows she's not supposed to take food from the garbage. But she will specifically wait until I am not around or not watching and then start stealing food from the garbage. If I even mention her name while she is doing this, she immediately goes to her crate because she knows she has intentionally done something naughty.

Animals cannot easily perform negative or positive intentional actions. It is extremely difficult to assend to a human birth from that of the lower realms.
  • taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    have you ever seen the eyes of a wolf?
    they are pure. animals kill for survival and necessity. not to say all animals are like this, but almost all of them are.
    look at humans though, we kill based on ideology and symbols.

if anything the whole notion of karma is speaking about our mental states. when we are more animal like, our consciousness is manifesting the lower chakras so that we might only be interested in sex, power, hunger, survival.

when focusing primarily on these lower centers, we may not have the time nor willingness to study the dharma or to even come across it. thus when we slow down these processes or rather question them we can move upwards to the higher centers. there is no hierarchy to the various centers, it is just a matter of function and practicality in the moment.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    Whenever an animal acts out of instinct it strengthens ignorance klesha. This is why animals are trapped. Ignorance can also be voluntary.
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    Whenever an animal acts out of instinct it strengthens ignorance klesha. This is why animals are trapped. Ignorance can also be voluntary.
    OK, animals have a life that is locked-in by instinct and lack of the sort of consciousness that human beings possess and occasionally, as here, praise.

Within that mythology of greater and lesser beings, what benevolent/praise-worthy activities would move an animal into human form ... assuming human form is an upward step? Does a dog have to kiss a cat or a cat let a mouse pass by without pouncing? If an animal is stuck in instinct, how, according to this mythology, does it escape ... assuming escape is a good idea?

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    do you think it is true that we can do anything to overcome ignorance? If an animal does this then it has reduced its tendencies towards ignorance.

you are correct that an animal is in an unfortunate position to overcome ignorance. That is why there are more beings in the lower realms by far than in the upper. Its thermodynamics sorta.
  • ''No, because they dont make choices. They are driven by instinct.
    A lion cant decide to be a vegetarian, AFAIK. ''

A lot of animals make choices, for example orca whales or dolphins, yet they have to kill as they cannot exactly stroll down to the store and purchase food. Some animals kill through defense, like humans, some kill through curiosity like hipos for example. They have no arms and I once saw one kill an antelope and just play with it in it's mouth, they are herbivores so it had no reason to. If it has a conscious it creates karma.
  • tmottestmottes Veteran
    I think about this question all the time. I always wonder what I can do to help my animals work through their bad karma and gain good karma. If I set rules and encourage them to follow them, do I help them learn control or am I just controlling them? I had somebody tell me once that they felt that animals that had made it to "pet" status were "higher" than wild animals; however, when I read/hear about all the abused pets, I can't help but think this isn't universally true.
  • animal rebirth is mostly about cleaning past karma, IMO.
  • tmottestmottes Veteran
    So they just have to suffer through it?
  • CinorjerCinorjer Veteran
    edited July 2011
    So they just have to suffer through it?
    The problem with holding onto this belief is that it's a very egocentric, very human-centric view of the universe and the world. The universe wasn't created for our benefit, and life did not evolve with human morality in mind. A dog is not trying to work his way out of some sort of karma prison into a "better" life. A dog is what it is born to be, no more or less. It is perfect in its dogness. The same is said for a fly, or a worm, or a tree, or a tiger. Each is perfect in what they are, being what they are designed by nature to be.

A dog does not behave wrongly by following its instincts and certainly does not create karma by doing what humans have taught and bred it to do. A vicious dog raised and bred to violence that kills a baby is not responsible. No good karma, no bad karma, no karma. Just nature doing what it does.

• tmottestmottes Veteran
    Interesting... I thought that assuming that all life suffers and is subject to karma until it reaches enlightenment, while it could be egocentric, doesn't seem human-centric. I am not saying what they perceive as suffering is what I perceive as suffering. More so, I was just using the assumption from buddhist cosmology that animals are the potential fate of a person with bad karma. Perhaps that was just a cultural/time specific metaphor that the buddha used to help his peers understand him. But if dogs and other animals are just doing what they do, then would that make humans, or at least creatures at that given level, special for the simple fact that they could accrue karma?
  • to put it in perspective, trees are better :)
  • edited July 2011
    This Sutta may be pertinent to the discussion:
    "And what is the cause by which kamma comes into play? Contact is the cause by which kamma comes into play.

"And what is the diversity in kamma? There is kamma to be experienced in hell, kamma to be experienced in the realm of common animals, kamma to be experienced in the realm of the hungry shades, kamma to be experienced in the human world, kamma to be experienced in the world of the devas. This is called the diversity in kamma.

"And what is the result of kamma? The result of kamma is of three sorts, I tell you: that which arises right here & now, that which arises later [in this lifetime], and that which arises following that. This is called the result of kamma.

"And what is the cessation of kamma? From the cessation of contact is the cessation of kamma; and just this noble eightfold path — right view, right resolve, right speech, right action, right livelihood, right effort, right mindfulness, right concentration — is the path of practice leading to the cessation of kamma." - AN 6.63
  • animals can also generate good karma. I watch a hell of a lot of animal documentaries because I have a lot of time and I love them, so I have seen a fair few things. There was a guy surfing and a shark attacked him. It took a chunk out of him and then came back for more when a group of dolphins actually protected the guy and started attacking the shark. It soon went away and he managed to get some medical help.
  • That is awesome Tom. Yay for pod protection! :clap:
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    Some animals just by their nature can inflict as much pain and suffering as possible. From paralyzing the victim and scaring them to death, to toying with them as they are dying, animals can be particularly nasty with their prey. Is there a karmic penalty to be paid for this?
    Yes this is the problem with being born into the animal realm, Buddha said it is very difficult to find a qualified human rebirth and even more so to escape lower rebirth once we take it, so this is why we should put a great amount of effort into gaurding our morale discipline and creating good potentials. Of course animals are just as capable of creating some very low semblence of virtue but because of their lack of wisdom they have very strong impulses toward the sense doors and delusions that control their mind in general, consider that most people are unaware of what their minds are doing and act upon impulse this is so much worse for an animal whos lives are governed by desires and arising delusions.
  • Interesting... I thought that assuming that all life suffers and is subject to karma until it reaches enlightenment, while it could be egocentric, doesn't seem human-centric. I am not saying what they perceive as suffering is what I perceive as suffering. More so, I was just using the assumption from buddhist cosmology that animals are the potential fate of a person with bad karma. Perhaps that was just a cultural/time specific metaphor that the buddha used to help his peers understand him. But if dogs and other animals are just doing what they do, then would that make humans, or at least creatures at that given level, special for the simple fact that they could accrue karma?
    Human-centric because it places human beings as superior and special. We not only are better than the other animals, we even inhabit an entirely different realm! Ego-centric because it still treats rebirth as soul migration and refuses to let go of the desire to live forever, in some form. According to the old Buddhist and Hindu reincarnation teaching, every animal you see can only be a very bad human reborn, so bad that he or she couldn't even make it into a deformed, sickly, lower caste baby, which the sutras also claim is a result of doing bad things in the past life.

Esoteric beliefs in Gods, demons, and various realms of punishment are of course part of the early teachings and sutras. They all have the same problem. They all treat "you" like there is an eternal, unchanging, permanent "you" wandering from life to life. So, a different type of Buddhism eventually evolved, one that stresses no-self and sees this list of realms as metaphorical and an expedient teaching because people absolutely, positively, will not give up their desire to live forever.

Heaven. In Buddhism there are 37 different levels of heaven where beings experience peace and long lasting happiness without suffering in the heavenly environment.

Human life. In Buddhism we can be reborn into human life over and over, either wealthy or poor, beautiful or not so, and every state between and both as it it is served up to us. Anything can happen, as is found in human life and society all around us as we are familiar with in the day to day human world in is myriad of possibilities. What we get is a result of our Karma of what we have dragged with us from previous existences and how it manifests in our temporary present lives.

Asura. A spiritual state of Demi-Gods but not the happy state experienced by the gods in the heavens above this state. The Demi-Gods are consumed with jealousy, because unlike humans, they can clearly see the superior situation of the gods in the heavens above them. They constantly compete and struggle with the gods due to their dissatisfaction with their desires from the others.

Hungry Ghost. This spiritual realm of those who committed excessive amounts of evil deeds and who are obsessed with finding food and drink which they cannot experience and thus remain unsatisfied and tortured by the experience. They exhaust themselves in the constant fruitless searching.

Animals. This realm is visible to humans and it is where spirits of humans are reborn if they have killed animals or have committed a lot of other evil acts. Animals do not have the freedom that humans would experience due to being a subject constantly hunted by humans, farmed and used in farming, also as beasts for entertainment.

Hell. This realm is not visible to humans. It is a place where beings born there experience a constant state of searing pain and the various types of hell realms reads like a variety of horrific torture chambers. Those with a great deal of negative Karma can remain in such places for eons of time.

• All actions generates Karma.
  • All actions generates Karma.
    If a tree falls in the forest but no humans are around, does it generate karma? How about if it falls on and kills a fox?

If the earth shakes and a landslide buries a village, did the earth generate karma?

I'm just wondering how much karma as "cause and effect" and karma as "action taken" can merge.

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    Animals are not machines. They act tending towards ignorance. Animals are not observers like clockwork orange with no control, does anybody think that? :p
  • tmottestmottes Veteran
    I suppose this is one of those questions that the buddha would say doesn't need to be answered. While it may be interesting from our point of view, it doesn't assist us in obtaining enlightenment.
  • In a slight way it may do if you take into account that even the smallest animal is subject to karma, delusion and impulses worse than most human beings, it may push you towards being more compassionate to animals in general and not wanting to be reborn in that realm of existence.
  • Animals are not machines. They act tending towards ignorance. Animals are not observers like clockwork orange with no control, does anybody think that? :p
    No, not machines. Apologies if you think I was going in that direction. I'd say that is the opposite extreme of thinking animals are just human minds with human passions and desires in an animal body. I just see animal minds in an animal body, being what they are, perfect in being what they are. A bird is a bird. A dog is a dog. A person is a person.

But really, I don't think it matters, except for what makes sense in your own mind. Something either is or it isn't. Our beliefs about reality and what reality is, are not the same thing, but that's just me slipping into my Zen robes. Never mind.
  • tmottestmottes Veteran
    I have a rooster that was violently raping my hens. I separated him from the flock and now their feather are growing back. Should I have not separated them because the rooster is perfect in what he is?
  • I have a rooster that was violently raping my hens. I separated him from the flock and now their feather are growing back. Should I have not separated them because the rooster is perfect in what he is?
    No, just saying you can't put him on trial for rape or talk about what sort of broken childhood caused the antisocial behavior. He's just being a rooster.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    A murderer is perfect murderer.
  • tmottestmottes Veteran
    No, just saying you can't put him on trial for rape or talk about what sort of broken childhood caused the antisocial behavior. He's just being a rooster.
    Ok, that makes much more sense now. Thanks :)

• A murderer is perfect murderer.
    Nope, that's treating people like animals, the reverse of treating animals like people

Really, I'm just talking about the concept of responsibility. We understand that even certain humans aren't responsible for what they do, because of diminished capacity to understand right from wrong. What does a rooster know of right from wrong?

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited July 2011
    I think your projecting a concept on the whole situation. Saying animals don't create karma is just out of line with the idea of samsaric realms from the get go.

The whole problem with being in the lower realms is that you don't know right from wrong. That is why it is very rare for an animal to escape. Hell beings don't have ability to do right because they are suffering so much. Gods do right by some things but don't practice the dharma due to too much positivity.

Everything that is a sentient being creates karma through its sentience. Karma is not morality.
  • I think your projecting a concept on the whole situation. Saying animals don't create karma is just out of line with the idea of samsaric realms from the get go.

The whole problem with being in the lower realms is that you don't know right from wrong. That is why it is very rare for an animal to escape. Hell beings don't have ability to do right because they are suffering so much. Gods do right by some things but don't practice the dharma due to too much positivity.

Everything that is a sentient being creates karma through its sentience. Karma is not morality.
    Jeffrey, I can't disagree with you because that's what is taught in some of the sutras. I am curious, without criticizing, do you also believe in a Hungry Ghost realm and Hell realm along with the Animal Realm, as the sutra teaches? The only difference, according to the sutras, is that we can see the Animal realm from our own realm of Samsara but cannot see the other realms (and of course, what people have to do in order to end up there).
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    I tend to be of two minds :hair: It could be symbolism. But then again it is logically consistent within its own ideation that humans may not be in contact with the other realms.

It may be psychology and symbolism..

I do believe sentient beings could be understood with karma. There are less and more agressive dogs. If you can entertain karma for humans then you can entertain it for animals, its not so much a stretch.

I also believe that karma is only an appearance. Like the sun rises in the east. On the basis of my teacher stating that.. I have had times when I had some idea of that but I just ate dinner and my blood is not in my brain. :buck:
  • edited July 2011
  • edited July 2011
  • No. Negative Karma can only accrue in relation to ignorance or delusion. It is not hinged upon violence or non-violence. Humans are the only beings subject to ignorance and delusion and are therefore the seeds of all negative karma. Non-violence functions as the path through delusion (the resolution of all Karma to Nihil) but it is not the goal. The goal is to realize that everything is perfect, both violent and compassionate and to enter into the emptiness which all animals enjoy in their natural simplicity.
    Your question however, is rooted in your aversion to suffering which is in turn creating your confusion. When present fully in the Truth, suffering still occurs but it no longer has any power. The state of disruption, fear, and pain which you associate with suffering no longer exists and the mind-body complex remains at peace regardless.
  • MindGateMindGate United States Veteran
    I thought karma can only be generated through actions that the being chooses and knows that it is committing.
  • What happens to animals is not important. Whats important is what practice have done with yourself? Is the practice honest or just really something to further your "knowledge".