Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Eating Meat Linked To Disease, Report Says

DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
edited July 2011 in General Banter
A new report released Monday claims the science is clear: Eating too much meat is bad for your health.

The so-called Meat Eater's Guide, compiled by the Environmental Working Group, is generating buzz for its "cradle-to-grave" look at the environmental impact of 20 popular types of meat, dairy and vegetable proteins. But it also emphasizes the potential health impact of eating too much meat, recommending that people to cut back to decrease their risk of heart disease and certain cancers.

"The goal is to really make this information accessible to consumers," said Kari Hamerschlag, an agriculture analyst with the research and advocacy group. "On the health side, we really pulled together all of the information and tried to make it as clear as possible that there's not just one reason to limit meat consumption; there are a whole host of reasons."

The report, which weaves together statistics from various earlier studies, allows that meat can be an important source of protein and vitamins when eaten in moderation. But in the U.S., moderation may be a problem. The report cites data from the United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization suggesting that Americans consume almost 60 percent more meat than their European counterparts, and four times more than in many developing countries. And much of that meat is either red or processed.

The health effects of this, the EWG report claims, are myriad: A 2009 report from the National Cancer Institute found that people who ate the most red meat -- which can have high levels of cholesterol-rising saturated fat -- were 27 percent more likely to die of heart disease. That same report also found serious meat eaters were 20 percent more likely to die of cancer than those who consumed the least amount of meat.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/07/18/cut-back-on-meat-new-repo_n_901554.html

Comments

• Red meat is more the culprit, I think. Chicken and turkey are ok. Fish is fine from a heart-disease perspective, too. Since we're on the subject of meat and health, I'd like to add that ALL chicken except organic is laced with arsenic. My doctor told me that. Buy only organic chicken.
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    Red meat is more the culprit, I think. Chicken and turkey are ok. Fish is fine from a heart-disease perspective, too. Since we're on the subject of meat and health, I'd like to add that ALL chicken except organic is laced with arsenic. My doctor told me that. Buy only organic chicken.
    What is Arsenic?
  • It's a metal, and a poison.
    DaltheJigsaw
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Red meat is more the culprit, I think. Chicken and turkey are ok. Fish is fine from a heart-disease perspective, too. Since we're on the subject of meat and health, I'd like to add that ALL chicken except organic is laced with arsenic. My doctor told me that. Buy only organic chicken.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/06/08/arsenic-chicken_n_873299.html

It's a metal, and a poison.
    Ewww!
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    What is the origin of arsenic in chicken. That does not sound plausible.
    What is the origin of arsenic in chicken. That does not sound plausible.
    Read the article whose link I posted. It gives pretty much the full story.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    Thanks, the article says the feed ingredient has been pulled off the market and that the arsenic found isn't a serious concern. That being said I would buy organic chicken if possible.
  • Mr_SerenityMr_Serenity Veteran
    edited July 2011
    I like body building it makes me feel stronger and sexier. So I probably cannot maintain my muscle volume as well as if I didn't eat meat. So I just try to limit the red meat for now. I eat a lot of chicken, eggs, beans and nuts for protein.
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    i feel like it really says something that ANYONE originally thought it would be okay for chicken feed to contain arsenic.
    I like body building it makes me feel stronger and sexier. So I probably cannot maintain my muscle volume as well as if I didn't eat meat. So I just try to limit the red meat for now. I eat a lot of chicken, eggs, beans and nuts for protein.
    Not true!
    Check out bodybuilding.com there is plenty of Vegans and Veggie Bodybuilders. I actually ran into many when I was lifting back in the day. I was 195 (170 now) about 5 years ago or so. I remember lifting with a dozen of Vegans and Veggie bodybuilders. I also read many articles about professional bodybuilders on bodybuilding.com.
  • Thanks, the article says the feed ingredient has been pulled off the market and that the arsenic found isn't a serious concern. That being said I would buy organic chicken if possible.
    This isn't what my doc said, but I'll check. He said even "free range" chicken had arsenic. I'll ask. Thx for the article, Vinlyn.

Thanks, the article says the feed ingredient has been pulled off the market and that the arsenic found isn't a serious concern. That being said I would buy organic chicken if possible.
    This isn't what my doc said, but I'll check. He said even "free range" chicken had arsenic. I'll ask. Thx for the article, Vinlyn.

The trouble with organic chicken and meats is that they are usually much more expensive.

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    Thats a good point but if the consumer could make an informed choice with knowledge that A contained arsenic and B did not... they might fork over the money. If they could not afford as much chicken they might still choose to eat chicken only 1 day a week and cheaper meals the other days. Personally I don't find organic meat particularly available. I think I have seen organic meat at farmer markets, but not in mega grocer.
    Thats a good point but if the consumer could make an informed choice with knowledge that A contained arsenic and B did not... they might fork over the money. If they could not afford as much chicken they might still choose to eat chicken only 1 day a week and cheaper meals the other days. Personally I don't find organic meat particularly available. I think I have seen organic meat at farmer markets, but not in mega grocer.
    Cheaper? Like beef????? Fish????? Pork?????

Here in Colorado, organic meats are readily available, but in very limited quantities.

• The trouble with organic chicken and meats is that they are usually much more expensive.
    That's true of organic anything. The sad reality of life in America is that in order to eat healthfully, you have to fork over a huge chunk of your paycheck. I've run across a few articles about agricultural chemicals still in use in the US that have been on the toxic/prohibited list in Europe for decades. So I'll buy organic most of the time.

The trouble with organic chicken and meats is that they are usually much more expensive.
    That's true of organic anything. The sad reality of life in America is that in order to eat healthfully, you have to fork over a huge chunk of your paycheck. I've run across a few articles about agricultural chemicals still in use in the US that have been on the toxic/prohibited list in Europe for decades. So I'll buy organic most of the time.

Not necessarily. For about a month here, organic raspberries have been almost half the price of regular raspberries. And the fact that that's not the normal trend is because most people don't want to buy the limited choices of organic meats, fruits, and vegetables available. And, I'm, not sure they're always better. For example, I can buy organic ground beef in the grocery stores here -- it's usually the teen-something percent fat level (and yes, I mean teen not ten). Or I can buy regular ground beef at the 7% fat level.

• Mr_SerenityMr_Serenity Veteran
    edited July 2011

Not true!
    Check out bodybuilding.com there is plenty of Vegans and Veggie Bodybuilders. I actually ran into many when I was lifting back in the day. I was 195 (170 now) about 5 years ago or so. I remember lifting with a dozen of Vegans and Veggie bodybuilders. I also read many articles about professional bodybuilders on bodybuilding.com.

That's interesting. I've been to bodybuilding.com before, but tended to stay away from it after all the talks on supplements like they were necessary. It made me think that body building was expensive. So I preferred to do it the old school natural way. But I'll look into it and see what their vegan/vegetarian diets are like that still lets them maintain their bulk, thanks.
    DaltheJigsaw

• Not necessarily. For about a month here, organic raspberries have been almost half the price of regular raspberries. And the fact that that's not the normal trend is because most people don't want to buy the limited choices of organic meats, fruits, and vegetables available. And, I'm, not sure they're always better. For example, I can buy organic ground beef in the grocery stores here -- it's usually the teen-something percent fat level (and yes, I mean teen not ten). Or I can buy regular ground beef at the 7% fat level.
    Until the price doubled recently, I used to buy organic buffalo. 4% fat. IDK, Vinlyn, all the ground beef at Whole Foods is organic, and it's offered at the usual choices: 4%, 7 or 8%, 10%, something like that. Colorado sounds expensive....?

Not true!

That's interesting. I've been to bodybuilding.com before, but tended to stay away from it after all the talks on supplements like they were necessary. It made me think that body building was expensive. So I preferred to do it the old school natural way. But I'll look into it and see what their vegan/vegetarian diets are like that still lets them maintain their bulk, thanks.
    Welcome!
    And definitely do your research!

Until the price doubled recently, I used to buy organic buffalo. 4% fat. IDK, Vinlyn, all the ground beef at Whole Foods is organic, and it's offered at the usual choices: 4%, 7 or 8%, 10%, something like that. Colorado sounds expensive....?

No, at least compared to back East, I'm finding things generally quite less expensive in Colorado.

The only time I go to Whole Foods it to find some odd ingredients I need for Thai cooking. I've never looked at their meats...guess I should...but when I look at their produce and sometimes find prices nearly double from regular food stores...can't quite swallow that when I've yet to see anything conclusive that natural foods makes a true difference in life expectancy, etc.