Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Really, really numb legs when meditating cross-legged!

pauliwagopauliwago Explorer
edited July 2011 in Meditation
This seems to be a very newbie question but it bothers me greatly. I went to a Buddhist temple this weekend to a meditation class and was having immense trouble staying in the position for more than 10 minutes. I was going to ask the monk for advice, but there was a line of people and I had to leave.
Any advice? Is this normal...will it get better as my legs become more adapted?

Oh btw, I am NOT overweight...slightly underweight if anything.

Comments

• taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    try using the various pillows to sit on.
    try various different feet positions such as burmese, full lotus, half lotus or cross legged.
    if all else fails ask for a meditation bench.

start doing yoga or stretches so that you can get into a comfortable position. the goal isn't necessarily a certain leg position but the goal is to be able to not be distracted by your posture and sitting.

yup.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited July 2011
    It will get better. I used to just let them fall asleep. I wouldn't be able to get up right away if there was walking meditation. It is a funny sensation when they wake up.

the legs falling asleep is due to nerves getting pinched. I think with experience less pressure is put on them and they don't go to sleep.
  • pauliwagopauliwago Explorer
    Got it, thanks guys.
  • LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    I sit in seiza with some blankets under me and have found that immensely more comfortable. Like you, cross-legged (or any lotus position) does not work at all for me beyond 10 minutes.

• What position were you using? I recommend Burmese with a cushion.

If that's still too tough, just do tailor position ("Indian style").
  • Since I do all of my meditations alone at home I sit however is most comfortable. I had a severe injury to my left leg and another accident that injured my right ankle so sitting in lotus position is quite painful for me. I usually use a cushion and a blanket and it's perfect.
    Stretching is really great advice!
  • BonsaiDougBonsaiDoug Simply, on the path. Veteran
    I started with the Burmese position, but found the Tailor worked out better for longer sits. In the Tailor it's important to have both knees touching the ground. Use some small support under the knees if they do not touch; beter stability.

• try another position...
  • I have the same experience, however i do not consider is as a problem just a natural consequence of not moving the legs, causing the blood flow to slow down in the legs. However this information is not based on any valid reference, just a personal opinion and since i haven't suffered any problems because of this, just wanted to state my opinion.
  • It just takes time, used to have da same problem, but eventually went away! Know wat im sayin?
  • Just sit in a chair...
  • Be courageous and sit till your legs explode.

May you find that aha! moment. :)
  • us westerners have been sitting on chairs the majority of our lives and our hips are not accustomed to sitting in such positions. I personally sit in either burmese or half lotus most of the time. Don't worry too much about this, but you may want to get there a little early next time and ask them if this is acceptable.
  • If I sit on a blanket my legs fall asleep in 15 minutes, guaranteed. I need a fairly soft bolster (they also fall asleep with hard cushions), and I need my butt to be higher than my knees, and preferably, need for the angle of my butt to be as steep as possible. So I like to sit on triangular cushions or I'll bend cushions to give my butt a lot of loft. Also it's good to make sure you pull all the flesh off the sitbones before you start (if you've got a lot of it). If you're kind of heavy with big thighs then sitting in half or full lotus will produce more pressure than you may want as well; try to find a way to have the least pressure on the thighs and bottom of your butt. BTW, cushion abuse is permitted in every meditation hall I've practiced in. So...don't worry about demonstrations and the like if you choose to abuse your cushion.

Having said all that and pointed out my own issues (they are many), if I sit properly I can stay in half lotus for an hour or so without numbness. If I sit wrong I always have terrible numbness. It simply isn't true that this is just some kind of a spiritual test. It's also physics and biology.
  • Its perfectly OK to sit in a straight-backed chair to meditate if you have physical problems. (Offline teachers have also said this)

• It's fine to sit in a chair. If there is a way to sit on a cushion and be comfortable it's preferable because it's a more stable position. Finding out how to make best use of cushions, designing a setup that works for you is worth trying before deciding to use a chair. Certainly if merely sitting cross legged in any form causes significant pain, due to malformation in legs, previous trauma, issue with the veins, etc. then one should sit in a chair.
  • my left hip is particularly loose, so whenever I sit cross-legged my left leg goes numb in moments, and the right follows within 10mins, which would be fine except if I sit like it too long I cannot physically stand up because of the pain in the overstretched muscles/ligaments (I have some hyper-mobile joints).. I can do short meditations kneeling with big toes crossed (unsure of the name!) but for long meditations I tend to go with either the bath tub or my bed, laying down is one of the most comfy positions to be in, and I feel more physically open so I feel more mentally open, I like it anyway... Not much use in a temple though :/