Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Stream-entry and the Mahayana

TalismanTalisman Veteran
edited July 2011 in Philosophy
Is stream-entry to be forgone in the boddhisattva path or is it part of the path?

Comments

• edited July 2011
    Stream entry in Theravada is equivalent to the first bodhisattva level according to Ringu Tulku's commentary to Gampopa's jewel Ornament of Liberation.

Stream-entry is a stage mentioned by the Buddha in the Pali Canon. The 'bodhisattva levels' (bhumis) are not.

'Bodhisattva levels' are a later Mahayana category.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited July 2011
    Stream entry is part of the path to extinguishing the poisons. The bodhisattva path is about liberating self and all beings by realizing the poisons are empty of self nature. The heart sutra is a concise rendition of the prajna paramita which the bodhisattva abides by as the prajna paramita or perfection of wisdom. A good book on understanding emptiness is Progressive Stages of Meditation on Emptiness by Khenpo Gyamptso Tsultrim Rinpoche. I say it is good because it covers five philosophies within buddhist thought; it covers different understandings of prajnaparamita.

The other paramitas: generosity, ethics, patience, forbearance, and meditation are equally important. They are the way the bodhisattva becomes skilled to help beings. And attractive to beings in order to form a relationship to them and thereby bring them into buddhism you could say or I would say form a connection to the mandala of awakening.

In the theravada the goal is to extinguish the poisons. In the mahayana the goal is to have perfect realization the same as buddha in order to liberate all beings from samsara.

At the first bhumi of a bodhisattva, the bodhisattva has the direct realization of emptiness as opposed to intellect grasping. As a result they realize the truth that all beings can be liberated from suffering. They have no doubt. With that beginning they may conduct the practice of the 6 paramitas and the 5 paths: accumulation, application, insight, meditation, perfection in order to become a fully enlightened buddha for the benefit of all sentient beings.

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited July 2011
    In the mahayana there are many more than one buddha. . Mahayana is a different style than theravada. There are sutras in need of interpretation perhaps evocative or hyperbole and there are definitive ones such as the shrimala sutra.

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited July 2011
    The reason to realize the kleshas are empty? I thought of that one just now. I am not sure. My teacher says that we take on the view that we are being oppressed by the view, even oppressed by the kleshas. So its like we are punching them to get rid of them, but they are made of tar and the more we punch them the stucker and stucker we get in thinking. Theravada has skillful means, this description is not definitive it is in need of interpretation, it is to make a point. Thus I personally would be mindful of my attitude when afflicted with kleshas and notice that they are not the true nature of reality actually they are passing. Not only are they passing but we cannot grasp the kleshas and we don't need to react against them. A theravada nun corroborated this in saying that first we sit with the klesha and let it cease. When it has ceased we might make a change which the place of coming to that change is from peace and wisdom. The first step is to see the klesha which is just paying attention to our experience. It is said that the mind is clear and even when it does not feel clear it is just a process of diffusing outward letting go and then coming into focus in a samadhi. We experience dukkha because we are grasping rather than trusting the nature of mind.

A man on facebook posted this:

So close we cannot see it. So simple we cannot believe it. So profound we cannot fathom it. So fine we cannot accept it