Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

We All Have Perfectionistic Tendencies

AllbuddhaBoundAllbuddhaBound Veteran
edited August 2011 in Buddhism Basics
The whole thing about things being perfect, is that we all, at some time or other in our lives, strive for it. We always want to reach for the stars, be it for world peace or being rich. Being popular or beautiful. Being loved or being admired. Being the best Buddhist, or the meanest, nastiest scariest individual we can be. As long as we are striving for this perfection, we believe there is something lacking. It seems to be part of the human condition. Craving might best describe it.

We rarely set our goals at a level that make being who we are, or what we have good enough. We can be dissatisfied with life or the world the way it is, and in turn, we can be dissatisfied with our own inner world. Do things have to be perfect, or is there a place where we can go on and leave that craving behind? I believe that place is acceptance. Acceptance of self (with all of our imperfections) and acceptance of our world (again, with all of its imperfections).

Does this mean total pacifism is the goal? I would think not but then again, that is more of my perfectionistic thinking.

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    I have never had this aspiration. I do not desire perfection. For me, perfection is an inhuman aspiration....
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    I don't agree with you, AllbuddhaBound.

My sister, for example, never strove for excellence in her lifetime...short as it was...and proved it continuously. In fact, a wasted life filled with drugs and liquor, resulting in liver failure at age 52.

On the other hand, constantly striving for perfection is a questionable quest (to coin a phrase). As that great philosopher Dean Martin once said, "Anything perfect ain't too good."
  • World peace, is that not something either of you would strive for? Many people either strive for it, or feel like a failure when they fail to achieve it. We all have ideas about what life would be like if it was perfect.
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited August 2011
    This reminds me of a reproach a teacher gave me when I asked him how to work with misperceptions. He said that there is no such thing as misperception, only perception.

I think that trying to accept an "imperfection" underpins the belief in an ideal which doesn't exist. There is what is, and the mind will do all sorts of odd things in response. The harmony of the system is already precise or "perfect"... we don't need to accept imperfection. Rather, we stop jumping at shadows when we stop generating dissatisfaction for what is our natural continuum, and then find there is nothing for us to accept or reject.

I really don't mean to split hairs, only offer perhaps a different outlook. Instead of fabricating more of the acceptance/rejection habit, we can let go of the fabricating altogether. Then perception is naturally closer to accurate.
  • I don't agree with you, AllbuddhaBound.

My sister, for example, never strove for excellence in her lifetime...short as it was...and proved it continuously. In fact, a wasted life filled with drugs and liquor, resulting in liver failure at age 52.

On the other hand, constantly striving for perfection is a questionable quest (to coin a phrase). As that great philosopher Dean Martin once said, "Anything perfect ain't too good."
    I would think that would be a fallacy and extremely difficult to prove. She never strove for excellence, or anything perfect ever?
  • Mind you, the title is a fallacy as well. So who am I to speak? LOL
    I don't agree with you, AllbuddhaBound.

I would think that would be a fallacy and extremely difficult to prove. She never strove for excellence, or anything perfect ever?
    I honestly can't think of a single thing she ever accomplished in her adult life. And don't misunderstand me, I didn't hate or even dislike her. Let me put it to you this way, in the crummy house she and her deadhead common law husband lived in, for 7 years they didn't have a working toilet and shit in a pot (and this was in Orlando, Flordia). So I can't see a shred of attempted perfection...unless it was hitting the chamber pot on target.

• In this article, the writer talks about "The many faces of perfectionism."
    http://www.apa.org/monitor/nov03/manyfaces.aspx

"Socially prescribed perfectionism--believing that others will value you only if you are perfect--has been associated with depression and other problems, including suicide.
    "I think the reason for that is that socially prescribed perfectionism has an element of pressure combined with a sense of helplessness and hopelessness," explains Flett. Socially prescribed perfectionists, he notes, tend to feel that "the better I do, the better I'm expected to do.""

I would think your sister had a sense of helplessness and hopelessness, not to mention low self esteem. The poor self-esteem itself, suggests standards that are not attained. When a person fails to meet some idea of the ideal, they can set more realistic goals, or they can beat themselves up.
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    edited August 2011
    Perfection (noun) : The absence of ignorance, greed and hate.

I strive for perfection as should everyone else! :)
  • AllbuddhaBoundAllbuddhaBound Veteran
    edited August 2011
    Like I said, we all have some perfectionistic desires. The problems arise when everyone strives for the perfect as you suggest, and reality sets in. The result can be procrastination, depression, suicide, eating disorders, and Obsessive Compulsive Disorder.

The world is imperfect, people are imperfect, and we ourselves are all imperfect. You ask people to be perfect when they are not. You are asking them to be something they are not. Is striving for perfection a reasonable response? Is it even possible?

If it is not possible yet they should strive for it, isn't that setting them up for failure? Is that perfect?
  • you don't strive for peace. peace is unconditional.
    how many wars should we go to until we have peace and such peace isn't usually true peace.
    peace is what you bring now.

perfection is accepting what is and from there and only there we can do something.
    we are not perfect nor imperfect. it is merely clinging and believing to these "concepts" that bring about more suffering.

we shouldn't strive for anything. any seasoned meditator or spiritual seeker will realize this if they are sincere. strive and seek all you want and you'll be a slave to the cycle.

just be. everything is okay as it is. even if our minds and our biology tells us otherwise. from this unconditional acceptance we embody a perfection that accepts it all. it isn't pacifism for that is a trap as well. when we are completely being and empty of conditioning we act accordingly and spontaneously to what needs to be done in such moments. that is where true compassion arises from.
  • Acceptance of what is, is just being. It is what it is. It requires no judgement, no aspirations, and it requires no perfection. By calling it perfection, you are judging it. You are measuring it against a standard. For something to be perfect, any other condition must not be perfect but how would that be possible since there is no right and wrong. There just is.

Perfection is a very black and white concept. It implies non-acceptance as part of the premise. As long as there is the perfect state, there is no acceptance.
  • Acceptance of what is, is just being. It is what it is. It requires no judgement, no aspirations, and it requires no perfection. By calling it perfection, you are judging it. You are measuring it against a standard. For something to be perfect, any other condition must not be perfect but how would that be possible since there is no right and wrong. There just is.

Perfection is a very black and white concept. It implies non-acceptance as part of the premise. As long as there is the perfect state, there is no acceptance.
    i couldn't of said it better. it's rather simple, yet very profound and quite difficult to apply. yet there really isn't any other option is there? sooner or later we come to accepting what is. until then reality will throw us into the fire until we realize our inherent dare i say "perfection". heheh
    edited August 2011
    Like I said, we all have some perfectionistic desires. The problems arise when everyone strives for the perfect as you suggest, and reality sets in. The result can be procrastination, depression, suicide, eating disorders, and Obsessive Compulsive Disorder.

The world is imperfect, people are imperfect, and we ourselves are all imperfect. You ask people to be perfect when they are not. You are asking them to be something they are not. Is striving for perfection a reasonable response? Is it even possible?

If it is not possible yet they should strive for it, isn't that setting them up for failure? Is that perfect?
    And what if it actually is possible?

>and reality sets in

The reality that sets in is not actual reality IMO. It's the reality that your mind has made for itself.

>The result can be procrastination, depression, suicide, eating disorders, and Obsessive Compulsive Disorder.

That is only true if there is clinging to the perfection as clinging is what causes those things. It is quite possible to strive and not cling. These things aren't caused by the striving, they are caused by the clinging.

• But believing that perfection is possible, is clinging. It requires judgement and black and white thinking. How can anything be perfect that requires that one judge in spite of the fact that our judgements that get us into difficulties in the first place.
    edited August 2011
    I disagree. Believing that perfection is possible is a matter of faith in the Buddha and faith that he spoke the truth. Believing that perfection is possible is the cutting of the 2nd fetter. Faith and clinging are two very different things. Faith lead to joy, clinging leads to sorrow and suffering.

The Buddha said that the 8FP leads to liberation, Nirvana, AKA perfection. You don't believe him?
    Thank you, Seeker!
  • "The Buddha taught that life is dukkha, meaning that life is temporary, conditioned, and imperfect. Accepting the truth of imperfection is psychologically healthy, even liberating. To accept imperfection doesn't mean giving in to sloppiness and carelessness. It means letting down your protective defenses and letting go of rigid ideas about the way things ought to be."

http://buddhism.about.com/b/2011/04/28/practicing-imperfection.htm,

The Buddha taught that life is temporary, conditioned and imperfect. You dont believe him?
    As I see it, perfectionism is damaging because of clinging. No clinging, no damage.

>It means letting down your protective defenses and letting go of rigid ideas about the way things ought to be.

As I see it, this is the release of craving/clinging. It is possible to accept your current imperfections, as well as know that they can be removed, without that causing a problem. I don't believe they are mutually exclusive.

I believe the 1st Noble truth. But the 3rd Noble truth is also true and not contrary to the first. The Buddha said that all conditioned, constructed, created things are temporary, and imperfect. But he also said this:

"There is that, which is unborn, uncreated, unformed & unconstructed!
    If, Bhikkhus, there was not this unborn, uncreated, unformed and unconstructed,
    no escape from what is born, created, formed & constructed could ever be realized...
    But since there indeed exists that, which is utterly unborn, uncreated, unformed and
    unconstructed, the escape from this born, created, formed & constructed state can
    therefore indeed be realized, explained and made known right here and now!"

The suffering in life is most certainly true. Complete release from it is also true. Believing that release from it is true, does not cause problems in and of itself. Faith in the enlightenment of the Buddha furthers one along the path. I understand what you and the quote above says. It says craving/clinging causes problems, I agree. However, Faith in the enlightenment of the Buddha and faith that you can achieve the same thing the Buddha did, need not involve problematic clinging. All the Noble truths are true, the 1st as well as the 2nd,3rd and 4th. It is quite beneficial to be accepting of your imperfections, it is also quite beneficial to know they can be removed. Knowing that they can be removed is part of the process of "taking refuge" in the Three Jewels, it is the "supreme refuge". All this can be done without problematic craving/clinging. It is quite beneficial to be accepting of your imperfections, it is also quite beneficial to know they can be removed and to know that you can put an end to suffering. I don't think the two are mutually exclusive. Do you see what I'm trying to say?

:)
  • crave and desire your own awakening for the benefit of yourself and others.
    but also realize there is no heaven that is not here and there is no enlightenment that isn't right now.

dance with the paradox until there is only dancing.
    Oddly enough, AllBuddhaBound, I sense that you feel that you have to "win" this debate -- which isn't that different than striving for perfection.

From my perspective you may not see that there is a difference between striving for perfection and being a perfectionist.

Being a perfectionist implies that one has "a propensity for being displeased with anything that is not perfect or does not meet extremely high standards." Perhaps, the key word here is ANYTHING. I've known perfectionists, they are never satisfied with others and never satisfied with themselves. They had difficulties having positive relations with others, including spouses and their own children.

On the other hand, many of us strive for perfection in some aspects of our life. I few months ago it was beginning to look like I was going to have to have heart surgery. Fortunately, it turned out to be a misdiagnosis. At the time I certainly wanted the heart surgeon to strive for perfection on the operating table. And I would have benefited if my cardiologist had striven for perfection in the diagnosis to begin with.

When I was a school principal, I didn't try to do all my work as a principal and leader as a perfectionist, but there were times with important parent conferences or expulsion hearings or leading staff when I did strive for perfection. Had I done the former as a perfectionist, it would have been self-defeating, but with the latter -- when a child's future truly rested with my actions -- striving for perfection was desirable and necessary. And even then, all of us...well, most of us realize, that in striving for perfection in certain tasks that even then we will probably only have excellent or very good results, not perfection.

A Buddhist friend of mine in Thailand has recently been contemplating suicide because along with two already life threatening diseases, he is now facing open heart surgery for the second time in his life. If he goes to the Sangha for guidance, I hope the monk that he talks to strives for perfection in their conversation, or we may necessarily lose a person who is very significant to the educational benefits received by all Thai children in public schools.
  • Using the heart operation as an example, what is perfection when one is under the knife? Perfection would mean that there was no pain, no scars and the patient's heart is stronger than it was before. That would be perfection. Is that what you can expect? Not realistically. There will be pain, there will be scars and the heart will be functioning correctly if all goes well. If the standard were truly only perfection, the operation does not happen. The surgery may be accomplished correctly but hardly perfectly. Perfection is a standard far greater than what you actually get. If the surgeon focuses on true perfection, he is very likely going to be quite disappointed in his performance. Instead, he focuses on what is possible. Perfectionists have problems when they strive for something that cannot be achieved.
    Using the heart operation as an example, what is perfection when one is under the knife? Perfection would mean that there was no pain, no scars and the patient's heart is stronger than it was before. That would be perfection. Is that what you can expect? Not realistically. There will be pain, there will be scars and the heart will be functioning correctly if all goes well. If the standard were truly only perfection, the operation does not happen. The surgery may be accomplished correctly but hardly perfectly. Perfection is a standard far greater than what you actually get. If the surgeon focuses on true perfection, he is very likely going to be quite disappointed in his performance. Instead, he focuses on what is possible. Perfectionists have problems when they strive for something that cannot be achieved.
    If you're going to talk about the impossible ("Perfection would mean that there was no pain, no scars"), then you can have the rest of the conversation with yourself.

• That is the point.
    Obviously, in order to have an intelligent discussion on it, everyone first has to have the same definition of "perfection" to begin with, in order for it to work. My personal definition is: no ignorance, no greed, no hate. :)
  • I strive for perfect imperfection. And I've been highly successful at achieving it so far!
  • I agree that we need a standard to begin with. My standard for perfection is very high indeed. I would think a world with no ignorance, no greed and no hate would be a very high standard of perfection. Pretty much impossible to imagine happening as we think about our world today.

I work with people who are very perfectionistic and unhappy. These people hold the ideals as goals, rather than aspirations. I believe that aspirations describes desires and effort. But not some achievable goal that we beat ourselves up for when we do not achieve it.
  • "The perfect is the enemy of the good" - Voltaire

There comes a point where there is
    (a) diminishing returns in terms of quality. (example: the difference between a £700 mountain bike and a £1500 mountain bike)
    (b) much greater time and effort required (increased stress)
    (c) decreased satisfaction :(

The perfect of today will be the commonplace of tomorrow- small efforts of the many usually lead to the greater good, with the odd one or two trailblazing ahead and the rest in tow.

The goal of no hate, no ignorance and no greed is admirable. Something to work towards!

• I strive for perfect imperfection. And I've been highly successful at achieving it so far!
    To quote St. Augustine

“This is the very perfection of a man, to find out his own imperfections.”