Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

beneficial to practice more than one technique?

edited July 2011 in Meditation
Hi all,

I was just wanted to know if you all think it beneficial to practice more than one method of meditation at a time. Currently practicing Vipassana, but I'm intrigued by metta meditations, external object meditation for concentration (i.e. focusing on a candle flame) and wanted to know if the benefits and gains made by these other practices are ones that will be realized through Vipassana. I also sometimes just like to close my eyes and zone out to ambient/ smooth tracks such as Telepopmusik - Just Breathe lol. Well, let me know your thoughts on this. Thanks

Peace

Comments

• newtechnewtech Veteran
    Hello:

I think its like the saying "a bird in hand is worth two in the bush”.
    Anyways, u can practice vipassana with metta...
  • Yes, it's definitely beneficial to practice more than one technique. I would personally recommend the following techniques.
    1. Anapanasati(this has to be your primary focus, since every other meditation technique is dependent on this. also most time has to be spent on this one.)
    2. Vipassana(this is definitely good to practice, but one thing to remember is the strong insights can arise when vipassana is done after attaining a jhana through anapanasati)
    3. Metta meditation(to overcome hatred)
    4. Walking meditation(to produce mindfulness which is much more stabler)

The above four are absolutely essential in my personal opinion.

5.Asubha practice(to overcome lust and sensual desire- it does lead to better meditation)
    6.Mindfulness of Death(extremely beneficial technique, however is generally not recommend to lay people. However if you are someone who knows how to handle fear in a skillful manner, i would recommend you to go for this one.)
  • zenffzenff Veteran
    edited August 2011
    ... and wanted to know if the benefits and gains made by these other practices...
    Benefits and gains. Ha!

I like this (slightly adapted) quote from the Vimalakirti Sutra:
    "Oh Rahula, don’t ask about the goal and benefit of meditation. To be without goal and benefit is meditation”.