Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Dependent origination and God

ClayTheScribeClayTheScribe Veteran
edited August 2011 in Buddhism Basics
So I've learned that Buddhism is non-theistic meaning God is irrelevant. I personally don't believe in a God and have found this to be OK while exploring Buddhism. But here and there I read or hear a Buddhist or Buddhist teacher mention God. Then I read this in regard to dependent origination: "Causal dependence provides structure to the universe in Buddhism. Effects automatically proceed from their causes in an impersonal lawlike manner. Thus an intelligent agent, like a Creator is not necessary. In fact it is impossible for such an uncaused principle to interact with our universe which runs on causal dependence." This would suggest that God is not even possible in Buddhism in relation to dependent origination, the one thing that links all streams of Buddhism. For example, Thich Nhat Hanh mentions God in his work. If this is true, why do some Buddhists believe in God? Is the God langugage just an attempt by Buddhist masters to make the Dharma more appetizing to the Western world? Also, I've read a bit about dependent origination but am not sure I have a full understanding of it. Can someone explain it to me in simple terms or suggest where I could read such an explanation? Sometimes I feel like one has to have a PhD to have a full understanding of Buddhism since it is a science on its own haha.

Comments

• Try to follow the precepts first homeboy...
  • I am following the precepts. But I keep reading that the only way to reach enlightenment is to understand the Four Noble Truths or understand dependent origination. I am not in a rush to become enlightened, but I would like to understand the Dharma fully to move forward.
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited August 2011
    Is the God langugage just an attempt by Buddhist masters to make the Dharma more appetizing to the Western world?
    hi Clay

in short, the answer to your question is "yes". this "God" language is just a method by some Buddhist teachers, especially those from the 1960's, to attract Westerners to Buddhism

you can read more of this style at this link:

http://www.dhammatalks.net/Books6/Buddhadasa_Bhikkhu_ABC_of_Buddhism.pdf
    Also, I've read a bit about dependent origination but am not sure I have a full understanding of it. Can someone explain it to me in simple terms or suggest where I could read such an explanation?
    Sure

Dependent Origination is about how suffering originates in the human mind

There are twelve conditions:

(1) Ignorance. Not understanding craving & attachment result in suffering. Not understanding all conditioned things are subject to impermanence, unsatisfactoriness & not-self (cannot be owned, controlled, possessed, etc)

(2) Formations. Because of ignorance, mental formations are always bubbling up from the sub conscious mind, seeking to engage with & get attached to objects of habit

(3) Consciousness. The ignorant formations generate or stir up consciousness, which will engage & absorb into objects of habit. For example, consciousness (sense awareness) is focused on this computer. But then a mental formation arises about ice-cream. So consciousness is engaged by that mental formation and consciousness will then focus on finding ice-cream.

(4) Mind-body. The ignorant formations stir up the mind-body. For example, the ignorant formation that arises is about sex. So the mind-body starts to get sexually aroused, prepared to look for & engage in an object of sexual habit

(5) Sense bases. The ignorant formations stir up the sense organs (eyes, ears, nose, tongue, body & mind) to engage with sense objects (sights, sounds, smells, tastes, touches & mental objects)

(6) Sense contact. Because consciousness, body-mind and sense organs have been stirred up and aroused by ignorant formations, they make sense contact with the external world with sense objects of habit.

(7) Feeling. When consciousness, body-mind and sense organs are pre-disposed with formations, sense contact will give rise to feelings of pleasure, displeasure or neither-pleasure-nor-displeasure. For example, the ignorant formations are aroused for ice-cream and open the ice-box. If there is ice-cream in the ice-box, pleasurable feeling arises. If there is no ice-cream in the ice-box, unpleasant feeling arises.

(8) Craving. Pleasant feelings give rise to positive cravings, such as love, lust, greed, etc. Unpleasant feelings give rise to negative cravings, such as hate, anger, etc. Neither-pleasure-nor-displeasure gives rise to 'circling' cravings, such as curiosity, confusion, delusion, etc.

(9) Attachment. Due to the flavour of the feeling and the power/drive of craving, the mind becomes fixated/obsessed with the sense object. The mind can also start to identify with the object personally, as pertaining to "me".

(10) Becoming. The mind fully develops a relationship with the sense object.

(11) Birth. The mind fully identifies with the sense object. For example, the mind obtains its favourite ice-cream and starts thinking: "I love this ice-cream, this is my favourite ice-cream, I am the world's great lover of this cream".

(12) Ageing & death, sorrow, lamentation, pain, grief & despair. Suffering in relation to aging & death; suffering in relation to change & loss. For example, the ice-cream factory is destroyed in an earthquake and one cannot obtain one's favourite ice-cream anymore. Suffering arises.

Regards :)

edited August 2011
    Some scriptures explaining Dependent Origination are below:
    Whoever sees dependent co-arising sees the Dhamma; whoever sees the Dhamma sees dependent co-arising.

And these things — the five aggregates subject to clinging — are dependently co-arisen.

Any desire, embracing, grasping & holding-on to these five aggregates subject to clinging is the origination of stress.

Any subduing of desire & passion, any abandoning of desire & passion for these five aggregates subject to clinging is the cessation of stress. .
    There is the case where an uninstructed, run-of-the-mill person, assumes form to be the self. That assumption is a fabrication.

Now what is the cause, what is the origination, what is the birth, what is the coming-into-existence of that fabrication?

To an uninstructed, run-of-the-mill person, touched by that which is felt born of contact with ignorance, craving arises. That fabrication is born of that.

And that fabrication is inconstant, fabricated, dependently co-arisen. That craving... That feeling... That contact... That ignorance is inconstant, fabricated, dependently co-arisen.
    Ven. Sariputta said: "Now, how is one afflicted in body & afflicted in mind?

"There is the case where an uninstructed, run-of-the-mill person — who has no regard for noble ones, is not well-versed or disciplined in their Dhamma; who has no regard for men of integrity, is not well-versed or disciplined in their Dhamma — assumes form (the body) to be the self, or the self as possessing form, or form as in the self, or the self as in form. He is seized with the idea that 'I am form' or 'Form is mine.' As he is seized with these ideas, his form changes & alters, and he falls into sorrow, lamentation, pain, distress, & despair over its change & alteration.

"He assumes feeling to be the self, or the self as possessing feeling, or feeling as in the self, or the self as in feeling. He is seized with the idea that 'I am feeling' or 'Feeling is mine.' As he is seized with these ideas, his feeling changes & alters, and he falls into sorrow, lamentation, pain, distress, & despair over its change & alteration.

"He assumes perception to be the self, or the self as possessing perception, or perception as in the self, or the self as in perception. He is seized with the idea that 'I am perception' or 'Perception is mine.' As he is seized with these ideas, his perception changes & alters, and he falls into sorrow, lamentation, pain, distress, & despair over its change & alteration.

"He assumes (mental) fabrications to be the self, or the self as possessing fabrications, or fabrications as in the self, or the self as in fabrications. He is seized with the idea that 'I am fabrications' or 'Fabrications are mine.' As he is seized with these ideas, his fabrications change & alter, and he falls into sorrow, lamentation, pain, distress, & despair over their change & alteration.

"He assumes consciousness to be the self, or the self as possessing consciousness, or consciousness as in the self, or the self as in consciousness. He is seized with the idea that 'I am consciousness' or 'Consciousness is mine.' As he is seized with these ideas, his consciousness changes & alters, and he falls into sorrow, lamentation, pain, distress, & despair over its change & alteration.

"This, householder, is how one is afflicted in body and afflicted in mind.
    edited August 2011
    Dependent Origination as "the creator"
    What is the origination of the world? Dependent on the eye & forms there arises eye-consciousness. The meeting of the three is contact. From contact as a requisite condition comes feeling. From feeling as a requisite condition comes craving. From craving as a requisite condition comes clinging. From clinging as a requisite condition comes becoming. From becoming as a requisite condition comes [ego] birth. From birth as a requisite condition, then aging & death, sorrow, lamentation, pain, distress & despair come into play. This is the origination of the world.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn12/sn12.044.than.html
    Dependent on eye & forms, eye-consciousness arises. The meeting of the three is contact. With contact as a requisite condition, there is feeling. What one feels, one perceives (labels in the mind). What one perceives, one thinks about. What one thinks about, one objectifies. Based on what a person objectifies, the perceptions & categories of objectification assail him/her with regard to past, present & future forms cognizable via the eye.

Dependent on ear & sounds, ear-consciousness arises...

Dependent on nose & aromas, nose-consciousness arises...

Dependent on tongue & flavors, tongue-consciousness arises...

Dependent on body & tactile sensations, body-consciousness arises...

Dependent on mind & mental objects, mind-consciousness arises. The meeting of the three is contact. With contact as a requisite condition, there is feeling. What one feels, one perceives (labels in the mind). What one perceives, one thinks about. What one thinks about, one objectifies. Based on what a person objectifies, the perceptions & categories of objectification assail him/her with regard to past, present & future ideas cognizable via the mind.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/mn/mn.018.than.html
    :)
  • I am following the precepts. But I keep reading that the only way to reach enlightenment is to understand the Four Noble Truths or understand dependent origination. I am not in a rush to become enlightened, but I would like to understand the Dharma fully to move forward.
    Your pretty onto it homeboy! Buddhism contains many many teachings geared toward different people of different inclinations. There definetly isn't any "only" ways. Although the goal is to understand your own mind first! Many schools have different practices, but they all seek to purify and understand the mind!

I would recommend that you should seek out learnt teachers when you have the right conditions. Because reading books involves your own mind creating biased interpretations based on what you have read. Not to mention gets overwhelmed by difficult information like the 12 dependent origination. Teachers can point out the errors of your thinking involving these subjects. The 4 four noble truth and 12 dependent origination can be misguided by the defiled mind into leading you to the path of misunderstanding them.

• zenffzenff Veteran
    Zen in the west sometimes blends well with Christian spirituality. Sorry if that confuses you.
    I don’t think the problem (if that’s what it is) will come up in Therevada.

I met two or three zen-teachers who were also abbots in a catholic monastery.

The blend is possible because ultimately we don’t know anything.
    Anyone who acknowledges his not-knowing is welcome to the party.
  • god = absolute reality = emptiness

pick your non dualistic symbol to point to the lack of something.
  • not1not2not1not2 Veteran
    edited August 2011
    God is a loaded word and meaning varies from person to person, context to context.
    When Buddhists use the word, it is rarely in the anthropomorphic sense meant in the Abrahamic religions but rather in some 'ultimate reality' or 'peak experience' or 'Truth' sense.

In regard to dependent origination, 'God' has little to no relevance.
    edited August 2011
    in earlier times, God symbolises law & the law maker

in later times, God symbolises love & the father of all

God has never symbolised emptiness & never will

God = personality view
  • ignorance has no cause in buddhism, so buddhism is not consistent with itself. It states that everything has mulitple causes. Except ignorance.

Buddha showed that there was no airtight metaphysical theory that would liberate you (from my understanding). Instead we have everything we need in this moment. Where is a thought? Where is it now? This question doesn't have an answer but it can sharpen awareness. Same with your searching in this thread. It is valuable in sharpening your awareness, but the clarity doesn't come from metaphysics instead it is the nature of your mind. When you ask an unclear question the nature of your mind is to perceive that it is not clear. This is what you are seeing now. A lack of clarity. Its that simple, you have everything you need in this moment.
  • God isn't emptiness, but creation is. This is what Thich Nhat Hanh is saying.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited August 2011
    ignorance has no cause in buddhism, so buddhism is not consistent with itself. It states that everything has mulitple causes. Except ignorance.
    Is ignorance found in a rock? "Mu." Ignorance is something that is applied to awareness (a living being), and for awareness to arise there are a multitude of conditions. Everything is part of the stream.

When it's said that ignorance has no conditions, what that really means is that we're all born into ignorance. Ignorance is the Buddhist "original sin", something that is the state of a human's mind before they learn what life really is and awaken.
  • That is all true. Nonetheless there is no airtight metaphysics leading to the deliverance of the heart. Buddha taught one thing: the deliverance of the heart. You already have the correct mind right here. And all the confusion you see is because of this sensitive aware mind. Confusion is confusion. The wisdom and compassion cuts through the wall of doubt concealed within the wrong views. The entire dharma is about having confidence in this mind as it is.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited August 2011
    "Having confidence in the mind as it is" would suggest believing that it's the way it's supposed to be and holding to that belief. Confidence is the beginning of practice, where you're convincing yourself and testing the teachings. It's necessary to hold confidence within yourself so that you stay on the path and can find your way to liberation (this is really "taking refuge").

Seeing the mind and all phenomena for how they truly are, that I think is the goal. That is when confidence is replaced with wisdom, when the doubt has been destroyed by direct experience.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited August 2011
    I am not following you. Hhaving confidence in the mind as it is suggests that you have a non-dual perception whereas taking the mind as an object of perception is conceptual thought that can just be let go of and return to natural mind of breath.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited August 2011
    For example saying I am angry is just conceptualization. Returning to the experience there is no problem. You just sit. We just have to be very simple. We are trying to do something. Trying to get ground underneath us. This is tanha. And with that in mind we don't have to do anything about this. Its all just thinking and when you recognize that there is confidence.
  • Refuge is listening to the signals you get from the energy of awakening. In the west we think of refuge as relying on the buddhist things. The sangha and the teachings and so forth. We are putting our faith in our practice essentially.

But in the east there is a vision of a mandala of protection. As we begin to shake free of the chains of grasping we discover that there are tremendous forces within our being that have nothing to do with the ego mandala. This is what Rigdzin Shikpo has called "the fire of vision, love, and creative power." This force is foreign to the ego mandala and very alien to what we think of ourselves. Can be fearful. These forces will simply consume with fire the ego mandala structure. So refuge is awakening this creative fire.

Second there is less solid boundary between the awareness inside and the 'world' without. In fact there is no boundary yet the experiences are distinct. By taking refuge we take a step into this space and we find a real alive world rather than a dead conceptual world.

Its quite frightening we go out into the mandala and the mandala guardians show us discipline. We get signals of our place in the mandala. When all we wanted was a bit of entertainment and we think its all a misunderstanding we didn't expect this. We can kick and scream and its very painful but this is not the truth. We wanted to hear and practice the teachings because they spoke to us in a deep way. Its just a backlash kinda.

The refuge is that we are not alone. All the force of the buddha and bodhisatvas is with us. All of the aspirations and heart energy. But of course from the perspective of the ego mandala it will continue to get worse and worse. We are in the process of dying after all.. By taking refuge we are opening and calling to other awakened beings who respond to us due to their own place and discipline in the mandala.

Serva Mangalam
  • "Having confidence in the mind as it is" would suggest believing that it's the way it's supposed to be and holding to that belief. Confidence is the beginning of practice, where you're convincing yourself and testing the teachings. It's necessary to hold confidence within yourself so that you stay on the path and can find your way to liberation (this is really "taking refuge").

Seeing the mind and all phenomena for how they truly are, that I think is the goal. That is when confidence is replaced with wisdom, when the doubt has been destroyed by direct experience.
    even if one was to avoid the goal, the goal would chase you down.
    that is the interesting thing about direct experience. there is no running away from truth.
  • The nutriments of ignorance are the hinderances. The hidnerances are conditioned as well. Ignorance is conditioned because it can be brought to cessation by means of the 8-fold path. When asked about the origin of ignorance, the Buddha stated that there is no apparant origin. As in the source of suffering has no beginning. I take this to mean that we (sentient life) have suffered for an unknowable and infinite span of time and will continue to suffer the round of birth and death for an unknowable and infinite span of time until liberation is attained.

This is my personal opinion and should not be taken as anything more.

In regards to the concept of God and dependent origination, it is stated very eloquently in "The Quantum and the Lotus" how this argument is resolved from a Buddhist perspective. To summarize, the author states that God, being the causless cause of all other conditioned phenomena, would be immutable, unchanging, permanent, and timeless. However, it is impossible for an immutable entity to engage in, affect, witness, or take part in conditioned existence, because interaction involves change on the part of both the subject and object. Also, it is irrevelant to hypothesize an immutable entity abiding "outside" the universe of conditioned phenomena, since such an entity would have no capacity for interacting with the world of conditoned phenomena. Also, to appropriate any sort personality traits to an immutable entity is pure folly because such a "thing" would have no personality because personality is a symptom of constant change and evolution via the law of dependent origination.

Once again:
    This is my personal opinion and should not be taken as anything more.
    stavros388
  • Seeing the mind and all phenomena for how they truly are, that I think is the goal. That is when confidence is replaced with wisdom, when the doubt has been destroyed by direct experience.
    I'm having particular trouble in grasping this, or rather realizing it, fully. My awareness has grown over the past several weeks, but I notice I still do a lot of judging and labeling throughout my life when I look at things and people. I want to be able to truly see the world for what it is and my mind as well. I feel I am making some progress, but I would like to know how to go deeper with it. Do I just need to meditate more? How do you transform a judging mind?

• In regards to the concept of God and dependent origination, it is stated very eloquently in "The Quantum and the Lotus" how this argument is resolved from a Buddhist perspective. To summarize, the author states that God, being the causless cause of all other conditioned phenomena, would be immutable, unchanging, permanent, and timeless. However, it is impossible for an immutable entity to engage in, affect, witness, or take part in conditioned existence, because interaction involves change on the part of both the subject and object. Also, it is irrevelant to hypothesize an immutable entity abiding "outside" the universe of conditioned phenomena, since such an entity would have no capacity for interacting with the world of conditoned phenomena. Also, to appropriate any sort personality traits to an immutable entity is pure folly because such a "thing" would have no personality because personality is a symptom of constant change and evolution via the law of dependent origination.
    This is probably the best explanation so far of why there's no God in Buddhism. Thank you. But don't Tibetan Buddhists pray to some deities? I thought I read that somewhere.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    @ClayTheScribe, Meditation is a part of it yes. We often skip some of what seem the more "mundane" aspects of the Noble Eightfold Path though. We really do have to make an effort to restrain our thoughts, speech and actions (purify our karma), because these lead to trends within the mind that will continue despite meditation alone. So we purify our karma and meditate, and this in turn cultivates insight into the nature of all phenomena.
  • ToshTosh Veteran
    "...according to the Buddha, man's emancipation depends on his own realization of Truth, and not on the benevolent grace of a god or any external power as a reward for his obedient good behaviour."

Page 2, What the Buddha Taught, Walpola Sri Rahula

• @ClayTheScribe, Meditation is a part of it yes. We often skip some of what seem the more "mundane" aspects of the Noble Eightfold Path though. We really do have to make an effort to restrain our thoughts, speech and actions (purify our karma), because these lead to trends within the mind that will continue despite meditation alone. So we purify our karma and meditate, and this in turn cultivates insight into the nature of all phenomena.
    @Cloud, what exactly do you mean when you say "restrain our thoughts"?

• CloudCloud Veteran
    edited August 2011
    Maybe better to say purify our thoughts. Right Effort, part of the Noble Eightfold Path, is about cultivating the wholesome and abandoning the unwholesome in regards to thought, speech and actions. Meditation doesn't do that alone, we have to change who we are... how we act... in our daily lives. We have to become what we want to be through our own efforts. We have to abandon hatred and cultivate love/compassion for all beings, we have to abandon greed and cultivate generosity, we have to abandon delusion and cultivate wisdom.

I think it's generally held that purifying our karma, working on our sila (morality), is the first step toward liberation. We mostly don't do that, though. Mostly, we try to understand the Buddha's Dharma and we take up a meditation practice, without changing who we are. We think the meditation alone, or the understanding, will do that. I don't think that it will. It takes great effort, which is why lay Buddhists caught up in the world aren't expected to get as far as monks who can dedicate themselves fully.
  • But unwholesome thoughts come through my mind all the time. Is Buddhism saying just not to engage those thoughts?