Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

(1) How Often Do You Meditate? (2) Do You Meditate Same time Every Day (3) Morning or Night?

edited August 2011 in Buddhism Basics
Everyones Different, I Know!
Whats our Meditation Practice?

Comments

• Usually first thing in the morning. I try to do it every day, but that's not always possible. Travelling is especially difficult.
  • Twice a day (morning and evening) and on occasion a third time during the middle of the day. The time varies, but try for sunrise and sunset. The length of meditation also varies from 15 min to an hour.
  • NomaDBuddhaNomaDBuddha Scalpel wielder :) Bucharest Veteran
    I usually meditate at night, before I go to sleep. I have problems with sitting, as my legs go numb and my back wants to just collapse.
  • Usually at night right before going to sleep.
  • I usually meditate at night, before I go to sleep. I have problems with sitting, as my legs go numb and my back wants to just collapse.
    Try not sitting in a position that causes that. Nothing wrong with sitting in a chair to meditate. There is no law that says you have to sit in the lotus or half-lotus position.
  • edited August 2011
    Although there is no right or wrong time to meditate, I can see why people meditate in the morning because then they can try and stay in that calm state of mind throughout the day...
    But What would be the benifits from meditating at night right before bed, as your hectic day is now over??
  • For myself I cannot meditate before I go to sleep... I need to read something or write in my journal before I retire to bed, that is why I try to meditate at sunset. My teacher told me that a good time to meditate is when you get home from a busy day.
  • Since i'm a beginner I try to meditate in the morning for 15-20 min.
  • For myself I cannot meditate before I go to sleep... I need to read something or write in my journal before I retire to bed, that is why I try to meditate at sunset. My teacher told me that a good time to meditate is when you get home from a busy day.

Oh right! I wonder why?
    I always just assumed the purpose of meditation was to clear and calm the mind. So doing it in the morning before a busy day makes more sense than doing it at night after the busy day! But like everyone says there no right or wrong way! Just interested. :)
  • I much prefer to meditate in the morning. Meditating before bed doesn't seem to work for me.

Oh right! I wonder why?
    I always just assumed the purpose of meditation was to clear and calm the mind. So doing it in the morning before a busy day makes more sense than doing it at night after the busy day! But like everyone says there no right or wrong way! Just interested. :)
    I think you might have answered your own question... Meditation in the evening helps you to clear and clam your mind after a busy day, putting the day's worries behind and focusing on being present.
  • I now meditate early every morning - I wake before anyone else in my household to have the time available. One of the benefits of not needing as much sleep - these days average of 6 hrs a night ( unbroken mostly - years of broken sleep due to young children is behind me now :) )
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    Hi Ash,
    Although there is no right or wrong time to meditate, I can see why people meditate in the morning because then they can try and stay in that calm state of mind throughout the day...
    But What would be the benifits from meditating at night right before bed, as your hectic day is now over??
    There are always benefits to meditation. It is a life-long (if not, multiple-life-long) practice. The benefits accumulate over time, the more you meditate, the more your mind inclines towards peace, happiness and wisdom.

Metta,

Guy