Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

I have attachment to chocolate!

edited August 2011 in Buddhism Basics
The taste, the texture, the sugar rush, the EVERYTHING. And the thought of giving it up fills me with bad feelings. So, definitely an attachment, and therefore to be given up. But how? I've tried 'just giving it up' in the past and that usually ends in craving, bingeing and self-loathing.

Comments

• You see the problem exactly: craving, binging, loathing.. Thats neurosis caused by being divided. On one side you want the chocolate, and on the other you are trying to give it up. One side of you is knocking the other and you get resentful.

First of all I don't think you see clearly. You say: attachment? I am a bad buddhist shame shame. I'm just saying, but thats not really clarity, that sounds like more neurosis. Judging yourself. Neurosis. In buddhism we stop trying to become the person we think we should be. And start being more fully who we are.

So the first practice is to not be divided. If you eat chocolate then eat it. If you don't then don't. But don't be divided. Gently welcome any discursive thinking into your awareness and sit with it. Like waves in the ocean all of these thoughts will come, abide, and go.

Be compassionate to steady yourself. You needn't be harsh on yourself for eating chocolate. Or not eating. Whatever happens maintain a cheerful mind and be friendly with both yourself and the situation you are in.

And then if you trust yourself even if you go through 1000 cycles of binge/purge if you are compassionate and mindful eventually the true clarity will come. The true clarity is what is liberating and it comes from compassion and peace and not from judgement.

When you have this clarity your actions naturally follow from it.

• genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    Love what you love ... and pay attention. Hate what you hate ... and pay attention. If you stop trying to improve things, they will naturally improve ... with attention.
  • edited August 2011
    That helps...thank you both! :) I am now going to practise some mindful chocolate consumption. :D
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited August 2011
    What a great thread! I don't think my "addiction", if such it be, is quite that bad, but chocolate definitely is one of life's pleasures. : ) However, you mention the sugar rush. If you manage to go off sugar for a few weeks, you'll notice that the body really does get addicted to it, like a drug. Once it all gets out of your system, and your body adjusts to sugar-free status, you notice a big difference, and the cravings cease. So while a chocolate addiction may seem, to some at least, to have an emotional basis, there's definitely a physical addiction involved. Just thought I'd mention that, for a broader perspective.
  • How about switching to 70% (or more) cacao dark chocolate? It has relatively little sugar in it, and a very small amount goes a long way in satisfying your chocolate craving. And it's good for you. All kinds of great flavinoids and antioxidants in it!
  • JUST ENJOY IT. YOUR GOING TO BE 'DEAD' ONE DAY. AND YOU WILL NEVER EVER EAT CHOCOLATE AGAIN.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Yeah...what do you see as the problem with liking chocolate? Why is it a hindrance to you?
  • JUST ENJOY IT. YOUR GOING TO BE 'DEAD' ONE DAY. AND YOU WILL NEVER EVER EAT CHOCOLATE AGAIN.
    Moderation in all things. Just because you're going to be dead one day doesn't mean you shouldn't honor your body by eating right and being healthy.

Oh, and "never" is a *really* long time :)
  • The taste, the texture, the sugar rush, the EVERYTHING. And the thought of giving it up fills me with bad feelings. So, definitely an attachment, and therefore to be given up. But how? I've tried 'just giving it up' in the past and that usually ends in craving, bingeing and self-loathing.
    If the thought of giving it up fills you with negative emotions don't give it up. As long as objects seem pleasurable trying to suppress a craving for them is pretty useless, and merely results in negative feelings about what made you try to suppress the behavior (your attempt to achieve a level of moderation, to destroy strong craving, etc. ; in other words, your efforts to practice what you think to be the dharma). Nothing is worse for a new dharma practitioner than to do things which cause undercurrents of resentment against the entire practice or the philosophical underpinnings behind the practice.

I think most Buddhists misunderstand the concept of renunciation. It's not about suppressing actual desires; it's about analyzing the nature of those desires, and achieving a level of disgust with how Samsara forces us to live this way. If the disgust is great enough then a corresponding desire to abandon the pursuit of Samsaric pleasure will arise, and, simultaneously, one's attachments to things like chocolate will abate naturally.

So, just think back to when you were a kid and you loved playing with soldiers (or dolls, or whatever). There was a time when this is what really mattered; this is all you wanted to do in your leisure hours. As you matured you discovered other types of activities, such as reading children's books, perhaps...Harry Potter, etc., which suddenly made playing with toy soldiers seem unimportant. I used to cry when I heard the song "Puff the magic dragon"; but, when you think about it, this is probably the very best song which describes the actual process of renunciation. It's not reluctantly giving something up----it's moving on---spiritually growing up.

And, the best part---you don't even have to give up your chocolate; you can still eat it and enjoy it even more, perhaps, once you're free of any attachment to it. Great practitioners still enjoy a beautiful sunset, the reflection of moon on water, and, I am certain---chocolate, when someone offers it to them. Not craving something makes it very special, actually.

One thing you might try. Set one day of the week aside as a chocolate-free day. See if you can get through that. Even if you only eat chocolate 2x/wk you'll feel a sense of satisfaction at getting through this one dedicated day. And rejoice when you do it. Then, expand it to whatever you're comfortable with. I did this with regard to meat/fish and found that it worked perfectly. I was able to go from one meatless day to (generally) 5 days per week without any craving. When my practice improves (or whenever I do retreats) I will reduce my meat intake further, but I try to never beat myself up about this and to rejoice each day I succeed in not eating meat.

• Great lessons in this thread. :)

Thank you all.
  • "I think most Buddhists misunderstand the concept of renunciation. It's not about suppressing actual desires; it's about analyzing the nature of those desires, and achieving a level of disgust with how Samsara forces us to live this way."

Very nice.
  • Wow! I kind of expected this one to wither and die after my second post. What a nice surprise to come back and see so many new pieces of wisdom!

I think the chocolate thing is to do with my own personal history in a way. I started dieting at 16 and ended up with an eating disorder as a result. Amazingly I managed to get over it under my own steam, but there are certain foods that were 'forbidden' back then that I still have issues around now, of which chocolate is one.

I ate some really good quality organic milk chocolate yesterday, and made myself really experience the sensations in the moment. Usually it's 'scoff, scoff, hate self', but this time I paid close attention to the taste, mouth feel, etc. I shared with my husband and kids and it was a nice experience. And then I got on with the rest of my day.

Weird...but good. I don't feel the urge today. But next time I do, I am going to allow myself to answer it in the same way. Perhaps my problem has been HOW I eat chocolate rather than the fact of the eating. You can do anything either lovingly or lovelessly, after all.
  • Perhaps my problem has been HOW I eat chocolate rather than the fact of the eating. You can do anything either lovingly or lovelessly, after all.
    I think you hit the nail on the head, right there!
  • Yes, after all.
  • chocolate.......yummy nom nom chocolate or alcohol? chocolate everytime, sadly that means everyday after my dinner and a binge at weekend...oopss!