Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Drinking tea = meditative state?

edited August 2011 in Meditation
I watched a video last night regarding alpha waves produced during meditation, and the effect of Camellia sinensis in creating these alpha waves via a compound called L-theanine. Apparently L-theanine causes alpha waves to arise much faster and with greater intensity than in meditation. In any case, it seems advantageous to use tea for relaxation purposes if it is available. I'm sure others here would agree with me that it is wise, however, to continue a meditative practice because the idea of Buddhism is to train the mind, not achieve a relaxed mental state by what ever means necessary. Anyway, I'm just curious as to your views on this subject. Thanks!

Comments

• Hmm, it is interesting that when my life is going smoothly (more of my attitude than the practical events) i start the day with tea and quiet on the porch. I also drink herbal teas before bed or decaff. I find even with the caffeine in the morning it is very calming, centering I guess. Sometimes in a very sleepy morning where I have to get up early I will have my tea next to my cushion and meditate for short periods while I take breaks for tea.
  • Drinking a cup of tea is the best meditation in the world.
  • do both...
  • LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    Doing something meditative is not the same as meditating.
  • Doing something meditative is not the same as meditating.
    To whom are you directing this comment?
  • snGussnGus Veteran
    Interesting thing to know about tea. I myself love tea and recently I managed to quit drinking cofee. I replaced it for tea and I am having better ours of sleep.
  • edited August 2011
    Doing something meditative is not the same as meditating.
    Would you care to elaborate, please?
    Drinking a cup of tea is the best meditation in the world.
    It used to be until I had kids. Holding a hot cup of tea out of the reach of an over-enthusiastic toddler and then finally getting to glug it when it's lukewarm sadly doesn't cut it. :crazy:
  • newtechnewtech Veteran
    edited August 2011
    Hello:

No, as you said, buddhist meditation its about mind development.
    And what its mind development?: right effort.

-Recognicing that an unwholesome state pull your mind away.
    -Leave that unwholesome state
    -Bring a wholesome state
    -Stay with that wholesome
    -Understand how all this happend

That its something u could call training, this is just like any other discipline.

With Metta.
  • This makes me wonder if the Japanese tea ceremony isn't partly intended to induce a slightly altered state of consciousness.

L-theanine is used as a sleep aid, so it does change brainwaves...
  • BarraBarra soto zennie wandering in a cloud in beautiful, bucolic Victoria BC, on the wacky left coast of Canada Veteran
    No harm in drinking herbal tea as well as meditating, but don't use it as a substitute. There are no short cuts.