Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

iphone apps

taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
edited September 2011 in General Banter
has anyone played around with the buddha machine application?

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/buddha-machine/id294730223?mt=8

it's a dollar and i am totally glad i got it. it makes all kinds of cool noises.

has anyone found any good buddhist applications for smart phones/iphone?

Comments

• zidanguszidangus Veteran
    edited September 2011
    I am not a big iphone fan, mainly because you have to pay for everything you use/download on it, like most apple products. I'd rather give my money to a more worthy cause than Apple. In fact I don't like smart phones in general, I think they are a waste of money. I have a £10.00 phone, with a sim only contract, as all I need it for is speaking to people with. If I want to play games or surf the net I'll do it on my computer.

:D
    DharmaMcBum
  • I'm with ya zidangus. When I last got a new phone, I told the sales person I want a device that makes and receives phone calls, and maybe the occasional text message (I needed that to communicate with my classmates in school, since they're of that generation). I didn't want something that watered my house plants and walked my dog or that made me better looking or my house worth more. I just wanted a phone.

He looked at me like I was from Venus.

DharmaMcBum
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    edited January 2014
    I love my Iphone! I use it for games, apps, documentation, writing and so on. A few Buddhist app I recommend: IMantra, Pranayama, Headspace, Transform, Wildmind would be a few I can recommend.
  • Some years ago my boss, in New York (I'm in Colorado), instructed me to get a Blackberry as my company phone. It seemed to me a wasteful and expensive extravagance, but I did come to see the benefit of getting e-mails and documents on the phone. It saved my butt once when I was able to show a customer a contractor's work completion document during a meeting, minutes after the document had been submitted. Totally changed the meeting, and participants' views of smartphones too. Over time, it became indispensable, much like a microwave. Silly extravagance becomes indispensable necessity. These days I have an iPhone, and I require my direct reports to have one as well.

But I have never really messed with any apps at all. I think I'm the token luddite: one of our managers had to show me how to put the flashlight app on my phone. Actually, he had to do it for me.

But the posts above have me intrigued . . .
    DaltheJigsaw
  • BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    Mountains said:

I'm with ya zidangus. When I last got a new phone, I told the sales person I want a device that makes and receives phone calls, and maybe the occasional text message (I needed that to communicate with my classmates in school, since they're of that generation). I didn't want something that watered my house plants and walked my dog or that made me better looking or my house worth more. I just wanted a phone.

those phones dont exist anymore.. I was a smart phone hold out until one day 4 years ago when I went to get a new phone and saw that the damn old style flip phones were 70 bucks more then a refurbished iphone 3... I said why the hell not and never looked back. I've never paid more then 100 for a phone since and i've gone from iphone to windows phone to now the best of the three, droid.
    DaltheJigsaw
  • Jayantha said:

Mountains said:

I'm with ya zidangus. When I last got a new phone, I told the sales person I want a device that makes and receives phone calls, and maybe the occasional text message (I needed that to communicate with my classmates in school, since they're of that generation). I didn't want something that watered my house plants and walked my dog or that made me better looking or my house worth more. I just wanted a phone.

those phones dont exist anymore.. I was a smart phone hold out until one day 4 years ago when I went to get a new phone and saw that the damn old style flip phones were 70 bucks more then a refurbished iphone 3... I said why the hell not and never looked back. I've never paid more then 100 for a phone since and i've gone from iphone to windows phone to now the best of the three, droid.
    Actually you can buy an excellent but fairly basic flip phone by samsung. I use my iPad for everything so I don't need a smart phone. I wound up getting this industrial strength samsung. It has a very strong hinge, is highly water resistant and shockproof.

http://www.samsung.com/ca/consumer/mobile/mobile-phones/all-phones/SGH-A997DARRWC
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    I just use the lowest model of Blackberry (Curve 9320) and have no data plan. I used to have a smartphone w/ data, but when the phone started crapping out, I had to basically use it as a "normal" phone (data would make it extremely sluggish). I got used to not having my e-mail 24/7 or being able to look up things on the fly... quite liberating, actually.

I have an iPod touch 5th gen that I can use for all that anyway, provided there's WiFi.
    DaltheJigsaw
  • sovasova delocalized fractyllic harmonizing Veteran
    the dharmaseed app is wonderful and well crafted
    DaltheJigsaw
    sova said:

the dharmaseed app is wonderful and well crafted

Thank you!!

I just use the lowest model of Blackberry (Curve 9320) and have no data plan. I used to have a smartphone w/ data, but when the phone started crapping out, I had to basically use it as a "normal" phone (data would make it extremely sluggish). I got used to not having my e-mail 24/7 or being able to look up things on the fly... quite liberating, actually.

I have an iPod touch 5th gen that I can use for all that anyway, provided there's WiFi.

As long as it work, it's all good!:)
  • sovasova delocalized fractyllic harmonizing Veteran
    there is also an app called Lotus Bud that will chime at random times. Awesome. check it out
    DaltheJigsaw
    sova said:

there is also an app called Lotus Bud that will chime at random times. Awesome. check it out

Thank you! I wanted to play some Buddhist games, that will help with my practice. Anyone have suggestions?
  • anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran
    anataman said:
    Thank you! Exactly what I have been looking for!:)
  • http://www.appannie.com/apps/ios/app/mychants/
    allows you to record a mantra and play back a set number of times . . .

OH HOW MANY MANI'S NOW?
    . . . mantra for the impatient

:wave:
    DharmaMcBum
    lobster said:

http://www.appannie.com/apps/ios/app/mychants/
    allows you to record a mantra and play back a set number of times . . .

OH HOW MANY MANI'S NOW?
    . . . mantra for the impatient

:wave:

Thank you~!
  • The company I work for gave me a phone that also lets me check emails and it has an internet function that is useless to me, because either the page is so small I can't see anything or I get a postage stamp sized part of the entire page and have to scroll forever. I think it can text, but I can't figure out how to turn on that feature. Heck, I can't even figure out how to change the ringtone.

It's not that if I sit down with a manual and play with it, I won't eventually get it figured out, it's that I have no desire to spend the time and energy. Look, I'm almost 60 years old. I work in a heavily technological field that requires me to constantly keep up with emerging technology and advances in network communication and digital formats. I used to be the best at what I do, but now I struggle to understand what the hell my coworkers are talking about sometimes. So a piece of equipment that requires me to squint at a tiny screen and peck at a tiny keyboard with my thumbs just isn't going to get used if I can sit down in front of a regular monitor and keyboard and touch type.

So I will have to get one of those Iphone things, eventually. I'll learn the joys of playing with apps. Most of the books I want to read are now downloaded and read off my nook, anyway. The world changes and good for it. I don't begrudge this next generation their toys, although those google glasses are just plain stupid.

DaltheJigsawanataman
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    Bah humbug to iphones. :p

Spiny technophobe
  • anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran
    edited March 2014
    anataman said:

LMAO!!