Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Just Observe Your Breath

DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
edited September 2011 in Meditation
“There are some practitioners who want to bend and twist their breathing the way they think it ought to be. The Buddha said that is not the correct way. You only be aware of your breath and do not try to intervene. You don't need to do anything, just know. You just observe, you do not need to suppress, you do not need to force. You just be with your breath in awareness. When there is sunshine it just shines across the land and it doesn’t try to spread its rays everywhere or force the land to absorb its rays. The sun just shines.”
~ Thich Nhat Hanh

http://mettarefugedharmanuggets.blogspot.com/2011/09/just-observe-your-breath.html

Comments

• I don’t know what the Buddha said.
    I do know that manipulating the breath can lead to hyperventilation.
  • Or hypoventilation. Or just loss of concentration in the moment...
  • “There are some practitioners who want to bend and twist their breathing the way they think it ought to be. The Buddha said that is not the correct way....
    For 1. How does He know what the buddha said?? I wish people would STOP quoting Buddha. No one will ever know what happened 2500 years ago..

and secondly. When he says 'there are some who want to bend and twist their breathing...'
    Whats that suppose to mean?? I dont like that. Makes it sound like theres rules,and there shouldnt be any rules in Buddhism or practice. Everyone is different in their practice. Start focusing on what YOU think works for you. Find your own way. Stop quoting others. Im a HUGE believer in 'Theres No right or wrong way' so dont EVER let anyone tell you otherwise.

''You have your way and I have mine. As for the Right way, Correct way and ONLY way, It does not exist...''
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    edited September 2011

'Theres No right or wrong way' ''You have your way and I have mine. As for the Right way, Correct way and ONLY way, It does not exist...''
    Who is that quote from? What if my way is "drinking , doing drugs, having lots of sex with strangers, stealing stuff to get money"? Is that still the correct way? After all, that is a "no rules" way, isn't it?

• I think what TNH is getting at is in zazen one should be observant, not DOING anything. At least in the Zen tradition (of which TNH is a part), zazen is purely about lucidity, not meditative acrobatics. Zazen is very ordinary, just sitting. No adding or taking away. THIS. Anything else is a distraction from the lucidity one should be cultivating in zazen.

Its not about right or wrong, but what is most helpful, that's all.

• 'Theres No right or wrong way' ''You have your way and I have mine. As for the Right way, Correct way and ONLY way, It does not exist...''
    Who is that quote from? What if my way is "drinking , doing drugs, having lots of sex with strangers, stealing stuff to get money"? Is that still the correct way? After all, that is a "no rules" way, isn't it?

you obviously didnt read my post properly. the quote read ''as for the right way, correct way and ONLY way, it does not exist''

then you asked 'is this still the correct way? - well ive just said there is No correct way. Theres no right way to drink. Theres no right way to steal theres no right way to have sex..some do it man on top, some do it doggie style..so theres no right or wrng way. Thats what im saying. By the way, the quote is from Philosopher Friedrich Nietzche..
    If you want to put an end to suffering, there is a correct way to do it and that is what the Buddha taught and what all the wise teacher teach. That is why the eightfold path is called "right view, right intention, right speech, right action, right livelihood, right effort, right mindfulness, right concentration". With the words "right" meaning "correct". To say there is "no correct way" is not Buddhism.
  • All im saying is, There isnt just ONE CORRECT WAY to end suffering. There will be many paths. Not just what buddha taught. The taoist path is a great way to end ones suffering. Also,Greek sage and Stoic philosopher Epictetus taught a way to end suffering by Just accepting life as it is etc etc..

Your right though about these arn't buddhism. I was just letting people know that Buddhas teachings are not The ONLY way. There are alot of clever people and paths out there. (and we are one of them - We all have our own path inside us, we dont NEED to follow others paths and ideas. Some people obviously NEED a guiding hand while others dont)

There is a quote by a Buddhist MASTER who always stated we didnt need teachers. One of his quotes goes ''it is nonsense to insist that we cannot achieve enlightenment without learned and piious teachers. Because wisdom is innate, we can all enlighten ourselves...'' ~Hui-Neng~
    edited September 2011

Your right though about these arn't buddhism. I was just letting people know that Buddhas teachings are not The ONLY way.
    What is the point of saying that on a forum that is specifically for Buddhism?
    There is a quote by a Buddhist MASTER who always stated we didnt need teachers. One of his quotes goes ''it is nonsense to insist that we cannot achieve enlightenment without learned and piious teachers. Because wisdom is innate, we can all enlighten ourselves...'' ~Hui-Neng~
    And then he spent the rest of his life being a teacher and teaching others. :) He also said:

"We should tread the Path according to the teaching of the Law, and not keep our mind in a state of indolence, thereby creating obstacles to the understanding of the Norm. To preach or to hear the Law without practicing it would give occasion for the arising of heretical views. Hence, we should tread the Path according to the teaching of the Law"

How can you tread the Path according to the teaching of the Law if you don't even know what the teaching of the Law is?

• Your right though about these arn't buddhism. I was just letting people know that Buddhas teachings are not The ONLY way.

Because we're all hear to help each other and I believe Buddhism isnt just the ONLY WAY to happiness. Plus, Ive seen other threads on here which arnt strictly about Buddhism. Just chat man, enjoy it. Dont always feel like u have to be right. Read, smile and chat! :)
  • TNH in the above quote was simply giving some helpful advice. I'm not sure what that has to do with "right" or "wrong" or following or breaking rules...?
  • @seeker242.
    "right" view and "right" anything in buddhism is a mistranslation. The pali term is samma, and doesn't have an accurate english translation, but "this works" would be more accurate than "right".
  • In regards to what TNH said about breathing, of course just watching the breath has its place, but i think that some practitioners take it too far by not practicing anything else. Some forced breathing such as pranayama can be very effective, placing attention on other things, such as in vipassana is also very effective, and helps with insights and realisation's.
    edited September 2011

Your right though about these arn't buddhism. I was just letting people know that Buddhas teachings are not The ONLY way.

Because we're all hear to help each other and I believe Buddhism isnt just the ONLY WAY to happiness. Plus, Ive seen other threads on here which arnt strictly about Buddhism. Just chat man, enjoy it. Dont always feel like u have to be right. Read, smile and chat! :)
    Telling people to find their own way and that they don't need a teacher, doesn't help. The way has already been found. :) Why reinvent the wheel?

• The way hasn't already been found otherwise all the monks I've visited over the years in nepal,china,thailand etc..would all be enlightened by now! They've been practising buddhism for 50+ years.
    Buddhas way isn't your way! He can guide u slightly. But eventually u will have to find ur own way. Hense the ultimate way has not yet been found!
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited September 2011
    This is the first I've heard that we're supposed to breathe normally during meditation. That can be help focus the mind, but the slow deep breathing that Tibetan teachers and MD's recommend actually helps calm the nervous system, which facilitates calming the mind and focussing on the breath. Some meditators have trouble calming the mind enough to focus on the breath, so the slow, deep breathing technique can help with that.

@zenff There are many different ways to manipulate the breath, depending on the goal. The slow breathing recommended for meditation won't cause hyperventilation, unless you know something I don't.
  • @Dakini
    Yes for some years it worked well; slowing down the breathing and breathing low in the belly. But in retreats it got weird – for me – and I had to stop manipulating the breath.

So my take at it is that manipulating the breath is not something that should be done; at least not for a long time.

• Your right though about these arn't buddhism. I was just letting people know that Buddhas teachings are not The ONLY way.

Telling people to find their own way and that they don't need a teacher, doesn't help. The way has already been found. :) Why reinvent the wheel?

How do you know the Buddha was REALLY enlightened? That he really didn't suffer anymore? And even if you knew, why would it be the only way to happiness?
  • @Epicurus Great question for its own thread!

• How do you know the Buddha was REALLY enlightened? That he really didn't suffer anymore? And even if you knew, why would it be the only way to happiness?
    I have found some people need to believe in such things to be able to follow a path ... found this in some people who attended 12 step programmes with me, by definition of being there they had certain personality characteristics in common and often over time and with the tools of that programme the need to be so dogmatic faded I found.

• chariramacharirama Veteran
    edited September 2011
    I like the analogy of being lost in the woods.

There are many pathways out of the woods to get home and one can wander around and perhaps even find one eventually.

To me, the teachings of the Buddha can be represented as one of these paths that have already been taken. That path is presented to us with the idea that we may follow it if we choose. There are no set rules but there is advice on how to successfully navigate the path and avoid the common hindrances that may derail or delay getting home.
  • By learning to control and manipulate the breath (pranayama in yoga) one can more easily observe the breath during meditation without trying to intervene and being therefore distracted.

• How do you know the Buddha was REALLY enlightened? That he really didn't suffer anymore? And even if you knew, why would it be the only way to happiness?
    I have found some people need to believe in such things to be able to follow a path ... found this in some people who attended 12 step programmes with me, by definition of being there they had certain personality characteristics in common and often over time and with the tools of that programme the need to be so dogmatic faded I found.

I don't want to assume very much, but this is the impression I get from most people drawn to spirituality and religion. I just recently "discovered" Alan Watts and something he said immediately rang a bell for me and synthesized my own feelings on faith/belief : " the attitude of faith is the very opposite of clinging to belief, of holding on." " the attitude of faith is to let go, and become open to truth, whatever it might turn out to be. "

• It looks like this has already been beat to death, and I may not be the best source of information on this topic, but in reference to the right/wrong way..one of my favorite buddhism qoutes goes like this.
    " A Christian and a Taoist have an argument about what to call a cup. The christian says, 'surely this is called a cup. This is what I have been told all my life.' The Taoist says, ' Surely it is called a pei..for thousands of years we have called it a pei, so this must be it.' A buddhist walks up, drink from the cup and looks to the two, 'Call it a pei or a cup it is meant to be used to drink, and that is it's purpose'."
    What I took from this, is that their may not be a right/wrong path, just a common goal. Inner peace may not be obtained solely through buddhism, but if you seek inner peace...the only person to acheive that is yourself. An idol or God cannot lead you to this path, only you can lead yourself there.
    Again, I'm not the best source on all of this...I just feel my opinion may have had some merit on the topic.
  • Actually to correct that quote...
    Imagine an Englishman, a Frenchman, a Chinese and an Indonesian all looking at a cup. The Englishman says, "That is a cup." The Frenchman answers, "No it's not. It's a tasse." The Chinese comments, "You are both wrong. It's a pei." And the Indonesian laughs at the others and says "What a fool you are. It's a cawan." The Englishman get a dictionary and shows it to the others saying, "I can prove that it is a cup. My dictionary says so." "Then your dictionary is wrong," says the Frenchman "because my dictionary clearly says it is a tasse." The Chinese scoffs at them. "My dictionary is thousands of years older than yours, so my dictionary must be right. And besides, more people speak Chinese than any other language, so it must be pei." While they are squabbling and arguing with each other, a Buddhist comes up and drinks from the cup. After he has drunk, he says to the others, "Whether you call it a cup, a tasse, a pei or a cawan, the purpose of the cup is to be used. Stop arguing and drink, stop squabbling and refresh your thirst". This is the Buddhist attitude to other religions.

Ven. S. Dhammika
  • @kshamblin thanks for taking the time to get the actual text of the story, I really enjoyed it.
  • Pardom me for differing with a comment above: "This is the Buddhist attitude to other religions." In my humble view, to call Buddhism a religion, and to put it in contrast with other faiths, is to belittle its universality.
  • This might be a silly point, but perhaps some of us might have to manipulate the breath, at least in the beginning, and some not, depending on prior experience. TNH obviously doesn't.

Observation first is always a good idea, and will probably have a very corrective effect on less 'healthy' breathing patterns... a striking thing that has happened to me is attaining access (kinda 'alchemically') to that pre-conscious mind that monitors things on that level. It is very useful for me to note that intentional manipulation really is less than ideal, but still, our desire to _fall into our natures_ may intersect with consciousness.