Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Everything happens for a reason!?!?

zen_worldzen_world Veteran
edited September 2011 in Buddhism Basics
I am a big fan of quantum mechanics. I have read theories and experiments in this area for about 6 years or more.
One of the most ground breaking experiment is performed by Thomas Young and it is called Double Slit Experiment. It is very famous and many of you may have heard of it.

One of the most interesting conclusion of this experiment is that somehow random electrons create a fixed and consistent pattern. Electrons when fired individually one by one, they demonstrate a random behavior. But when large quantites of electrons fired then they altogether show a deterministic picture. In other words, random events collectively create a deterministic pattern.'

According to scientists this is very bizzare. Indeed, it is bizzare.
Scientists asked this question to HHDL, and they asked him if Buddhism brings any explanation to this phenomena.
HHDL responded by saying that not only cause leads to effect but also the effect is impacts its cause. So it is not a one way time flow between cause and effect but instead both cause and effect equally effects themselves...
Hmmm....

So what does that mean for us?

If everything happens for a reason than there is absoulately no choice or free will and all our actions are predetermined. Maybe we don't see how but obviously there is a high order in the chaos.
Is there any reason that we should act differently then? Not really - if this is the case...Is there any reason to be more ethical, more religious, more happy? Any reason to spend more effort to become enlightened, to do meditation, to suffer or to not suffer, to be happy or to not to be happy, to watch the breath?

Maybe there is creation after all! and we are already where we supposed to be and we always will be where we supposed to be - no matter what we do...

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    The view that everything happens for a reason, and that ergo, free will is an illusion, is a Hindu concept, not a Buddhist one.
    Welcome to the small world of imponderables.

Please read this piece on Free will, and Kamma...

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/authors/thanissaro/karma.html

• zidanguszidangus Veteran
    edited September 2011
    'With multiple scattering, the randomness of the interaction tends to be averaged out by the large number of scattering events, so that the final path of the radiation appears to be a deterministic distribution of intensity'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scattering
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Causality_(physics)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Causality

I personally do not believe that the future is already written, if it were what exactly would be the point in it all ? we would in effect be going through the motions, our karma already planned out, our enlightenment date already decided !

Sorry I just don't believe it.
  • 'With multiple scattering, the randomness of the interaction tends to be averaged out by the large number of scattering events, so that the final path of the radiation appears to be a deterministic distribution of intensity'
    I don't think so...In double slit, you are sending completely isolated and independent electrons one by one with specific time intervals. There is no average out effect in this case... thats why physicts struggle with this and still yet to date there is no explanation.
  • The view that everything happens for a reason, and that ergo, free will is an illusion, is a Hindu concept, not a Buddhist one.
    Welcome to the small world of imponderables.

Please read this piece on Free will, and Kamma...

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/authors/thanissaro/karma.html

The article is fine but it doesn't get into the details...

I am curious for instance, in abidhamma, where does free will mentioned?
    As chittas and mental factors rise and fall based on previous conditions, there is no room for free will. So I am curious at what point of consciousness stream we use our free will?

• Even if things happen for a reason that does not mean there are not multiple possiblities and multiple choices within that pattern of groups. There were probably tipping points and moments that could have changed things in a way we cannot imagine, And the choices we make set up another pattern of reasons and reactions, not just one possible path.
  • Even if things happen for a reason that does not mean there are not multiple possiblities and multiple choices within that pattern of groups. There were probably tipping points and moments that could have changed things in a way we cannot imagine, And the choices we make set up another pattern of reasons and reactions, not just one possible path.
    Can you be more specific, for instance when do you think the "choice" arise followed by subsequent action?...give an example for instance...that would help

• edited September 2011
    Nothing happens for a SPECIFIC scientific reason. Only the reason WE give it. Whether Good or Bad.
  • This experiment has been used with a variety of sources, light, individual ions, molecules and I believe they are trying to use this on viruses. Basically you get the same probability distribution, that is the area that has a high density of hits on the screen in one experiment will also get hit by a high density of points on the screen in the next experiment, and an area that got hit with a low density of pints on the screen in one experiment will also get hit by a low density of points on the screen in the next experiment.

Quantum mechanics can predict the probability distribution accurately. However it does not predict what the sequence of points will be that hit the screen.

Also there are local hidden variable theories, many world theories which attempt to explain the point your making.

• there is no room for free will. So I am curious at what point of consciousness stream we use our free will?

I don't think we have total free will, but neither do I think life is deterministic either. Free will must depend on causes and conditions according to dependant arising, and this accords with my experience of trying to stop drinking and smoking.

• Everything is cause and effect, and therefore predetermined. There can be no choice as there is never a conscious chooser. If and when you come to the realisation that consciousness has no power to control, only experience, you'll know this for sure. Free will is a thought based illusion.
    I've heard people say before that this is a hindu not buddhist concept. I'd be interested in any scriptures that reinforce this view. ddhist concept. I'd be interested in any scriptures that reinforce this view.
  • upekkaupekka Veteran
    edited September 2011

As chittas and mental factors rise and fall based on previous conditions, there is no room for free will. So I am curious at what point of consciousness stream we use our free will?

once there is understanding of Four Noble Truth through wisdom (means at the moment of stream winning/ sotapanna/ getting the Right View/ knowing that everything and anything are perception but nothing else) one starts to use one's free will

that is after that point when one is with mindfulness one uses one's free will
  • @Upekka.
    Could you clarify that statement please.
    What has free will and makes choices? Consciousness?
    Have you ever looked to see if you can find a conscious thinker that thinks thoughts, or do thoughts arise from the subconscious?
    If so, what consciously controls or chooses what the subconscious does?
  • Can you be more specific, for instance when do you think the "choice" arise followed by subsequent action?...give an example for instance...that would help

Okay, I will think of it in story form. So lets say you have been practicing for awhile. You are starting to see ingrained patterns of reaction after the fact until one day you see your ingrained pattern of reaction but before you act. Yet you act in the same way you always have. Now that same action you have done so many times before lays heavy on your heart. This time you saw that things could be different but you still did not have the courage to act. Next the situation comes up, one that was painful and you avoided, but now you are lookign forward to it and you choose different. Not only do you change a stream of reactions but you change, you have more courage in the next challenge and you have a heavier heart when you do not choose skillfully the next time.

That is the internal process. Now the external, lets say gossip. It is so easy and casual to fall into after all. So you pass on information and you feel rather important, consider it harmless after all, and figure you are making connections to people by talking. Then you learn about right speech and you realize even if that person never hears what you said about them you are still creating something with the gossip. So the next time you hear something you do not pass it on. Then you go so far as to say 'I don't think anyone knows the whole story,...' or something that maybe stops it for other people. You KNOW that you could make the other choice and still go back and gossip, be welcomed with open arms in fact. But you don't. The person who is the subject never knows yet the next week in the hall they stop and talk to you. Maybe you find a mutual interest. Maybe you meet someone important through them. Whatever choice you make you will not know what would have happened in the other choice, but you can feel at the moment of challenge that you do have the choice. We do it both ways all the time.

Hope that helps
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited September 2011
    We have to walk the line where "conventional" and "ultimate" meet, and operate within the conventional framework of human existence while realizing the ultimate nature of mind and all phenomena.

We are the same as a bug. Do we say that a bug has free will, or do we say that everything it does is based on circumstances and conditions of its past and the present moment? We're more complex and we think too much, easily fooling ourselves, but our lives are as conditioned as that bug... or a tree. How we think of ourselves is our very problem; we create an independent agent (self/soul) where there is only awareness of conditioned phenomena arising and passing. We can't change reality, but we can change our perspective, and that begins by walking the Noble Eightfold Path.

BTW we have no evidence that random things are random. "Random" just means that we don't understand how the underlying mechanics work. Everything we experience has its reasons, and we only apply "random" where we are impotent to test for or explain how to predict anything. Most of life for us is in this realm of the unknown.
  • Excuse me if this is derailing to the conversation, but... does it matter? If free will exists, then we should bear responsibility, but if it doesn't, then that means I was fated to bring up the idea that either way I was fated to believe that I should act on what I believe is good/right. And some of you were fated to ponder my words now, and thus react in a certain way, be it ignoring what may seem ridiculous, or thinking that maybe it doesn't matter, because either way one can do good and have a good effect, preordained or not. So if this is fate, then it's still an action I am choosing in order to hopefully make others do good, and if it's free will, it has the same outcome either way.

Sorry if that's confusing, but pretty much it's summed into, freewill or not, if one does a positive thing, then it has positive outcomes, so whether you believe it's fate or not, it's still worth doing...

Just my opinion though, which I came to myself after reading similar theories and ideas on fate and freewill, ultimately it doesn't impact the way I will act.
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    Well if one thinks about the subject then it is plain to see that everything that does occur happens for a reason the continuation of cause and effect, Of course this doesnt mean we have no ability to choose what actions we perform though.
  • From the practical side – I agree – the question of free will is irrelevant.
    There’s no question about it, that in our minds we appear to be making our own decisions. So that’s what we have to do; we have to make our own decisions. That the outcome of the process is probably “determined” in some way doesn’t change a thing.

The weather today in ten years (will it be a rainy or a sunny day) is determined; no free will is involved in it. But it is such a complex thing that the outcome is random to us.
    It’s roughly the same for us; I suppose.
    We make our decision within the framework of let’s say the “climate”; we are predictable but only up to a point. The “weather” is always a surprise.
  • Everything happens for a reason!?!?

Everything proceeds from a prior cause/s. Even if one thinks there is a self making decisions, one never really have complete free will.

Just ask the members of Hitler Youth or the child soldiers of the Khmer Rouge etc.
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    Great question and a great thread!
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    i somehow feel like it's a rather large leap from electrons showing a deterministic picture as a result of the double slit experiments to "we have no free will." it would seem that the only thing tying those two thoughts together is the quote from HHDL, whom is not the definitive voice of buddhism. i'm with you on the wondrous applications of the double slit experiment on the scientific aspect of the world, but i do believe that human thoughts and actions will always have the potential to be erratic. i don't believe that there is a governing logic to our behavior, but i am not saying that i think that any one person can live isolated or unaffected by others.
  • Also, in addition to the above post, another quote (well, abridged) by HHDL may put things into context: If science were to definitively proof or disprove something in Buddhism, Buddhism would have to change.

I think people take HHDL words with too much weight. He's said multiple times in his own books. He is not a god, as some see him, but just a simple monk. He knows well that he is far from infallible.

• We make our decision within the framework of let’s say the “climate”; we are predictable but only up to a point. The “weather” is always a surprise.
    But the weather isn't random, it only appears that way because we don't know all the variables involved; and if we knew those variables and had the computing power, we'd be to predict the weather accurately and years in advance.

Even at the quantum level there's disputes about what's random and what isn't and the same school of thought appears; things only appear random, because we don't understand the variables.

If everything happens for a reason than there is absoulately no choice or free will and all our actions are predetermined. Maybe we don't see how but obviously there is a high order in the chaos.
    Is there any reason that we should act differently then? Not really - if this is the case...Is there any reason to be more ethical, more religious, more happy? Any reason to spend more effort to become enlightened, to do meditation, to suffer or to not suffer, to be happy or to not to be happy, to watch the breath?

If there is absolutely no choice or free will, then your second paragraph doesn't count, since you won't be able to 'act differently', or to not care.

Personally, I think this is a 'Middle Way' type of thing and things are not completely predetermined, nor are they random and that the truth is somewhere in the middle.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran

I've always been skeptical of the concept that everything happens for a reason. If you said that some things happen for a reason, well, okay...perhaps. But I stubbed my toe a few minutes ago. Gee, wonder what the reason was.

And secondly, let's say significant things do happen for a reason. That doesn't necessarily take away our options on how we react.

• zidanguszidangus Veteran
    edited September 2011
    @zen_world, Is it wise to extrapolate the observations from the double slit experiment, to come to the conclusion that sentient beings do not have free will ?

Just my opinion but I think it not a very good way of coming to a conclusion on this. :-/
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited September 2011
    When people say "everything happens for a reason", they often associate that with fate or with God.

Rather, I would say "everything happens because of reasons" is a more correct perspective, which makes conditions the master of all phenomena rather than anything being pre-determined or planned out.

Nothing is pre-determined, only determined. The next moment is determined by this one, and this moment was determined by the one before, going back in a causally related stream that is at once both selfless and interrelated.
  • Well put @Cloud :thumbsup:
  • @Upekka.
    What has free will and makes choices?
    the mind without delusion has free will and makes choices

Consciousness?
    NO
    consciousness is the mind with delusion

Have you ever looked to see if you can find a conscious thinker that thinks thoughts, or do thoughts arise from the subconscious?
    if 'we' practise Buddha's Teaching 'we' can see there is no thinker who thinks

instead
    'we' can see when there is a contact through one of the six internal sense organs with the relevant external sense organ with our deluded mind we begin to think

no matter how hard we try we can not consciously control
    if there is no mindfulness with the knowledge of Four Noble Truth (not that the knowledge gained through reading or listening but experiencing) then we have the control
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran

We make our decision within the framework of let’s say the “climate”; we are predictable but only up to a point. The “weather” is always a surprise.
    But the weather isn't random, it only appears that way because we don't know all the variables involved; and if we knew those variables and had the computing power, we'd be to predict the weather accurately and years in advance.

Even at the quantum level there's disputes about what's random and what isn't and the same school of thought appears; things only appear random, because we don't understand the variables.
    I disagree with this idea. Quantum uncertainty says that we can't know both the position and speed of an electron at the same time. Its not a matter not having enough knowledge and enough computing power, its the nature of quantum phenomena to not be fully knowable and thus not completely predictable.

As to free will, I think @Cloud said it well with determined doesn't mean pre-determined. Look up Determinism vs. Fatalism for more about the difference.

My own take is that awareness is the trump card in our deterministic behavior. We aren't simply automatons reacting to internal and external stimuli. Our mind has the amazing quality of awareness, we have the ability to know what's going on. Since we can be more or less aware of what is happening that constantly adds information to the list of determining factors guiding our behavior. I don't know if that translates into free will per se but I think it means we're more than meat robots.
  • I love quantum mechanics and wish I understood it better.

"Maybe there is creation after all! and we are already where we supposed to be and we always will be where we supposed to be - no matter what we do..."

I think you are correct, there is a creation. But at the same time the heart of each person can change, can become more kind, more loving, and can help others, etc. and why not?

• We can still always make those "reasons" into good ones. Right?
  • @ AshCatMan (Irony that you have cat in the username) I think you hit on a good point there. It's easy to say everything happens for a reason - and personally I do believe that BUT if I'm the one saying "this happened for that reason" then that's my interpretation alone, not the Universe speaking. My beloved cat died, I wound up homeless, moved to a new city and found a prosperous place. That doesn't mean that the Universe wanted my cat to die so I would better my life. I always tell people, "sometimes we're allowed to know the reason, and sometimes we never know."

I'm kind of an amalgamation of buddhism, hinduism, taoism and me-ism.
  • @Upekka.
    What has free will and makes choices?
    the mind without delusion has free will and makes choices

Consciousness?
    NO
    consciousness is the mind with delusion

if 'we' practise Buddha's Teaching 'we' can see there is no thinker who thinks

instead
    'we' can see when there is a contact through one of the six internal sense organs with the relevant external sense organ with our deluded mind we begin to think

no matter how hard we try we can not consciously control
    if there is no mindfulness with the knowledge of Four Noble Truth (not that the knowledge gained through reading or listening but experiencing) then we have the control
  • @upekka.
    Unless i'm misreading something, this seems to be a contradiction.
    You accept that there's no thinker behind thoughts. You accept that consciousness has no ability to control or choose. You accept that the subconscious mind receives stimuli and responds to it. Yet you still claim that "you" choose?
    So are you saying that "you" are the subconscious mind?
    Are you saying that cause and effect is choice?
    My point is that the brain responds and thoughts are only an echo of that process.
  • I believe everything happens for a reason, but at the same time we are always prepared to deal with the situation/problem etc etc. It's just our reaction and how we respond that can change that outcome(or rather listening to someone else and not our gut, second guessing, etc etc).

The mind is a wonderous thing, and it will always find a way to protect itself(from ourselves?).

"does the mind rule the body, or does the body rule the mind, I dunno"--the smiths

• Cause and effect only exist in dualistic time. Our true nature is free from the burden of choice and external conditioning.
  • upekkaupekka Veteran
    edited September 2011
    @upekka.

You accept that there's no thinker behind thoughts. You accept that consciousness has no ability to control or choose.
    True

You accept that the subconscious mind receives stimuli and responds to it.
    if the 'subconscious mind' means deluded mind/consciousness then this is correct again
    Yet you still claim that "you" choose?
    there is no 'you' to choose

So are you saying that "you" are the subconscious mind?
    what i have been trying to say is that the mind without delusion (the mind which knows everything is anicca, dukka and anatta)can choose

Are you saying that cause and effect is choice?
    NO
    if there is a cause there is an effect
    just trying does not help

'we' try to do something good because 'we' are conditioned to do that way
    'we' try not to do something bad because 'we' are conditioned to do that way

My point is that the brain responds and thoughts are only an echo of that process.
    According to Buddha's Teachingany one of internal six sense bases contact with the relevant external base the relevant consciousness (the deluded mind) arises for worldling

(for ex: ear + sound + ear consciousness)
    that is the Cause
    feeling and perception are the Effect of that Cause

because 'we' are deluded by the mind (consciousness) we Think feeling and perception are beautiful, pleasurable, permanent and can manipulate to 'our' own liking
    so we react accordingly