Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Destroy the Ego

ThaoThao Veteran
edited September 2011 in Philosophy
I have only heard this term in Tibetan Buddhism and Hinduism. Does anyone know exactly what it means? How is it destroyed? What is left afterwards?

Comments

• I think: Destroy the "ego" = destroy "selfishness". I'm not sure if there is much more to this.

• DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited September 2011
    In the Tibetan tradition there's a whole protocol, that can be quite abusive. These are aimed at eliminating pride and developing humility. I think meditation and insight, developing compassion, and so forth, are enough to "tame" the ego and develop altruism. But TB takes it a lot farther. Dzongsar Khentse Rinpoche justifies the abusive aspect by saying that once the ego is gone, there's nothing there to experience the abuse. This alarms me. I don't think extreme measures are needed.
  • SattvaPaulSattvaPaul South Wales, UK Veteran
    It is likely a mis-translation. They mean destroy ego-clinging.
    Dzongsar Khentse Rinpoche justifies the abusive aspect by saying that once the ego is gone, there's nothing there to experience the abuse. This alarms me. I don't think extreme measures are needed.
    Could you provide a reference for this?
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited September 2011
    I think it means to destroy the delusion of self (it is not a real thing, just a complex of wrong perceptions and thoughts). The delusion is that you have a self/soul that is the central controlling agent and is somehow separate from the mind-body, and that this self/soul continues on intact and unchanged after death.

Ego and Self are synonymous, and neither are a real thing separate from mind-body... they are a perception created by mind-body, and perception only. From that perception arises thoughts and actions which bind us in suffering.
  • @sattvapaul see: www.enlightennext.org/magazine/j31/dzongsar.asp It's in an interview he gave.

Yes, I agree, "destroying the ego" is a seemingly harsh term for destroying ego-clinging.
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    I have only heard this term in Tibetan Buddhism and Hinduism. Does anyone know exactly what it means? How is it destroyed? What is left afterwards?
    All deluded misfortune stems from minds such as anger and the ilk of other non virtuous branches of delusions we have in our mind, These come from the trunk of Self-cherishing wishing ourselves to be happy as Shantideva says " All the suffering there is in the world arises from wishing ourselves to be happy " and this deluded mind of self-cherishing akin to the trunk of our tree comes from the root of self-grasping which mistakenly grasps at phenomena as seperate and being self existent, The ground in which this tree of non virtue appears from is impure appearance which causes our Samsara to come to life.

So destroying the ego is destroying the self. What we currently grasp at as being self is a non virtuous compilation of impure aggregates and from this grasping springs all our sources of misery so it needs to be destroyed delusions has no other function then to harm us. Once this ego/self is removed we are left to see our true Buddhanature which is inseperable from the Emptiness of all phenomena and thus we become free from sorrow,pain,misery,afflictive suffering Free from Samsara, Filled with compassion and wisdom rather then delusion and non virtue.
  • riverflowriverflow Veteran
    edited September 2011
    This is one of the biggest misunderstandings and easiest things to not translate accurately. As a result Buddhism just sounds like some kind of nihilism, which it is not.

One of the most important thing to get right from the beginning is that "self" (atman) and "no self" (anatman) are ontological categories, not psychological ones (though it may include the psychological).

"Ego" is a western term that refer to a reified *psychological* self, not ontological. If people misunderstand this point, I think the whole view of Buddhism gets easily skewered.

In one sense, there is no "self" destroy because you never had one (a reified, independent entity called selfhood) to begin with-- the goal is to realise what you never had in the first place.

To realise no-self doesn't mean just "your" self, but all "selves" (other people, animals, trees, rocks, stars, mountains, etc.)-- in other words, the realisation of emptiness is a kind of ontological re-orientation not only towards oneself but also the world.

The problem with "destroying the ego" is that it implies that there really is this reified ego and it should be eliminated, while the rest of the reified world continues on its merry way. That's not the realisation of emptiness-- that's just beating yourself up psychologically.

• that's just beating yourself up psychologically.
    Or the lama beating you up psychologically.
    Very interesting perspective, riverflow. Food for thought. Thank you.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited September 2011
    My teacher (tibetan) says that this is a term not native to tibetan language. Ego. It is used by westerners as skillful means. It means pride. Or other concretizations. Clinging, basicly.
  • Thanks, Dakaini. I just posted on this topic on my blog here:

https://riverflow0.wordpress.com/2011/09/07/self-inquiry

As long as one (mis)understands no-self from purely psychological or moral grounds, the most central point of Buddhism, and what makes it so RADICALLY different (as either a religion or philosophy) is entirely missed.

This is not to say that psychology or morals are absent in Buddhism, but that these are rooted in an ontological realisation of no-self.
  • I think the point several have raised, about use of the word "ego", is an important one, and it's come up in discussions here before. Put under scrutiny, "ego" becomes somewhat ambiguous and can lead to misunderstandings. I think Jeffrey's right, the TIbetans tend to use "pride" more in this context (though they sure enjoy using the word "ego" in English, which doesn't help clarify things), and also "grasping" or "clinging". If we talk about defeating one's pride, rather than killing the ego, it's not so sinister-sounding.
  • Pride: A sense of one's own proper dignity or value; self-respect.

In the west if a person has no pride they allow people to abuse them verbally and physically. A person with strong self-respect would not even allow a guru to abuse them in any way.

But I understand this term from Hinduism, and I have never seen it work. I know a woman who wanted to be a nun, and the verbal abuse sent her over the edge because she had a low opinion of herself in the first place. She used to go to bed crying and began to feel worthless. She quit.

I know of other disciples who became as abusive as their gurus when their gurus were not in town.

Hinduism believes in the Soul, God, Self are all One. So basically if Ego is translated as Soul, then it cannot be destroyed, so in Hinduism obviously they are not the same.

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited September 2011
    Thao, pride in buddhism is not the same idea you have shared. Pride in buddhism is one of the six karmic realms of desire. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ten_spiritual_realms........

It is caused by clinging to a sense pleasure, such as the sense pleasure of anger, which we may be addicted to our anger and look for a chance to get angry for example. Pride is also a sense pleasure just as anger.

You are confused, Thao, pride doesn't prevent abuse. You might be proud that you were the gurus favorite play thing. Its totally the contrary, being free from attachments compassion manifests and you would not 'need' to be involved with the guru. You would be less confused in the absence of pride. Pride obscures the clarity of the mind which is needed to see abuse as abuse.
  • Jeffrey's right, Thao. In Buddhism, pride is close to arrogance. It's more like: an overblown sense of one's dignity and value. It's useful to use the term "pride" in that sense, because, as we discussed once, endlessly on a thread about ego, there is a more basic concept of ego, that is the sense of one's self that we use to function on a day-to-day basis. Even the Buddha had "ego" in that fundamental sense. So in order not to confuse the basic, functional "I" with the concept of "ego" that refers to egotism, "pride", or "ego-clinging" or "grasping" are used instead.

For me, Stephen Batchelor expressed this dichotomy best. He said the "ego" that Buddhism aims to do away with has more to do with one's self-image, one's projections about oneself, which tend to be static. "I'm this or that type of person, I have these faults, I have those talents". When one gives up one's self-image, one is free to be whatever one wants to be, free to create, free to grow and learn from others. Free to stop pretending, or hiding aspects of oneself.

As for the sometimes extreme forms of "destroying the ego" that Tibetan teachers may use, it reminds me of the old ways the Catholics had of having people do extreme penance. The idea was to transform the personality and instill humility and empathy for others. So maybe "destroying the ego", with the methods Milarepa's teacher used on him, for example, is a holdover from medieval times. Such harsh methods aren't necessary, or not in most cases, and as you pointed out, can be counterproductive. They can be damaging.
  • Yes, they can be very damaging. Here is a post on it:

http://downthecrookedpath-meditation-gurus.blogspot.com/2011/06/abusive-gurus.html
  • I believe one can learn humility and empathy without abuse. It comes from the heart, from learning loving kindness, not from abuse.
    edited September 2011
    Of course "abuse" can be relative.

It reminds me of a story I heard not long ago of a 10 year old boy in Germany who called police to complain about forced labour when his mom kept asking him to clean up his room.

It's an exaggerated example, but you know what I mean.
  • When monks and nuns leave monasteries and have to go into therapy because of the abuse they have experienced and the loss of self esteem and the depression it has caused, all due to the theory of "destroy the ego," then something is terribly wrong with the system that causes these people to break down and leave.

And one must remember, we are not children, but these so-called gurus refer to us as such.
  • edited September 2011
    How do people find themselves involved in that "destroy the ego" treatment? I would hope it's a voluntary option on the part of the student. I've never heard of it as part of any curriculum in a sangha, though. The lama in that interview with EnlightenNext mag, though, says something like: "Your teacher is the person you've hired to destroy your ego. You give up everything, you pay him body, speech and mind to do that." Yikes! That sounds like an awfully big assumption. I've had teachers, but I've never considered that I'd hired them to destroy my ego. Is this one of those higher-level practices?
  • You fall into it Compassionate_warrior just by being in a group that teaches it. All the sudden you are doing nothing, and a guru walks up to you and begins blasting away at you in front of others, and you are dumbstruck and embarrassed. It happened all the time in the Hindu groups I was in, and so people were leaving left and right, and if you leave you are just not considered worthy of the path, but the thing is, it is the kindest people who get hurt and leave; those left have learned to roll with the punches and can dish it out as well.

In fact a guru told me that I needed to learn to "roll with the punches," and all I was able to do was fight back, just just stand there and take it.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited September 2011
    Shenpen hookham says, if I recall, that all that is needed is to recognize that the ego is just layer upon layer of conditioned thought. Just thinking.
  • Thao, pride in buddhism is not the same idea you have shared. Pride in buddhism is one of the six karmic realms of desire. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ten_spiritual_realms........

It is caused by clinging to a sense pleasure, such as the sense pleasure of anger, which we may be addicted to our anger and look for a chance to get angry for example. Pride is also a sense pleasure just as anger.

You are confused, Thao, pride doesn't prevent abuse. You might be proud that you were the gurus favorite play thing. Its totally the contrary, being free from attachments compassion manifests and you would not 'need' to be involved with the guru. You would be less confused in the absence of pride. Pride obscures the clarity of the mind which is needed to see abuse as abuse.
    Jeffery: I got the definition from the dictionary, and Pride means having self-respect. if you don't have self respect and morals you can find yourself doing things that are harmful to you.
  • I wish to destroy my ego to a pulp, until I have no reaction to someone taking something, someone insulting me etc. The negative kamma would be on their part, but with no ego you would also maybe try to show them the way if you will.
    edited December 2011
    I don't know where this "destroy the ego" misunderstanding originated, or why it's being still repeated. I believe problems with translation of traditional texts, along with the lack of familiarity of teachers coming from Buddhist cultures with the language of Western psychology, may have played a role. If you destroy the ego, you go psychotic and cannot function in life, for goodness sake. It's about destroying the attachment to ego as being a permanent solid entity, not destroying the ego itself. And pride in Western dictionary is again something else than pride they mean in Buddhist texts. Oh what a mess.

And @Thao, about the Hindu use of the words for ego/self, I have just started reading an excellent translation of the Gita, and the disctinction between a living being-self (jiva) and eternal Self (Atman) is quite a clear one.
  • okay sorry master, smack me with your stick! I am not as far down the path as you. can you not understand how people who do not even relate to buddhims understand this concept, or are you caught up in your own practice/world?
  • You need to be very aware when dealing with the ego as it has evolved to keep you alive. Which it does expertly.
    There is always the danger that compassion, unselfishness, humbleness, humility ect, can become the 'new' ego.
    One which will prove even more difficult to destroy because that would be such an unreasonable act. (the ego arguing its case)

My advice to you @Thao would be forget about the ego and live by the old Turkish saying:

"If you sleep on the floor, you CAN NOT fall out of bed."
  • When the ego is destroyed (which is what happens if you truly have cessation from desires and have no attachment), what's left is "no mind", which essentially is the free flowing unconscious. It's being unconscious while being aware of it, or "witnessing" it.
  • nice :thumbsup: Have you attained this out of curiosity?
  • SileSile Veteran
    edited December 2011
    "Ego" (or as my dear Japanese kendo professor pronounced it, "eggo" - took me a full semester to realize what he meant) isn't your "self" in the context of your living, breathing body & brain; it's your "false self." In Buddhist and other spiritual contexts, destroying ego is not destroying yourself at all; it's destroying your painfully misunderstood image of yourself, your delusions about yourself (which is important to a healthy self-image, ironically).

It's also about destroying your misunderstanding as to your "self's" relationship to other people's "selves;" for example, learning that your "self" doesn't have to be at the mercy of other people's "selves" nearly as much as you thought it did.

To imply that "destroying ego" implies some kind of violence is no more accurate that saying "destroying self-doubt" implies violence.
  • Okay, deconstruct and dismantel the go, better?
  • I love Gehlek Rinpoche's explanation - that destroying ego is about destroying the misconception that we are not all interdependent:

"Ego’s trick is to make us lose sight of our interdependence. That kind of ego-thought gives us a perfect justification to look out only for ourselves. But that is far from the truth. In reality we all depend on each other and we have to help each other. We are connected in a way that is similar to the connections between the parts of your body. If you get a thorn in your foot, your hand will go and take it out. If your foot is suffering from the thorn and your hands say, “I don’t care. I don’t have suffering. It’s the foot that has suffering,” or if the left hand gets a thorn and the right hand says, “I don’t care. It’s you who is suffering, not me,” in the end, the foot will suffer and the hands will suffer. That is how we function."
  • Okay, deconstruct and dismantel the go, better?
    Lol, "nuke the ego"
  • LMAO. Nice to see some humor, or shall I say 'humour'. It reminds me of something (which is offtopic), but in a south park episode which was a 3 part episode in series 11, it came to a point where the American government decided they had to nuke the imagination haha.

But one thing is for sure, the ego should be dropped. It is a gradual process, at least for me. I have come a long way in 3 years in this department, but still have further to go, quite far indeed.
  • Telly03Telly03 Veteran
    edited December 2011
    I have recently started going to Yoga, and my favorite part has always been the last 10 min where she turns off the light and instructs us to just focus on our breathing... well last night she also threw in "and get rid of your ego" I just smiled at the similarity.

@Dakini I like your description, and share your view, and this is a subject I've been working on with myself . I feel I made a bit of a break through today... I know it probably only makes sense to me, since it was about me, but here is how my brain worked it:

I was thinking about my teenage years and how I would have done things differently if I had a chance... I had to remind myself that to be in the present, I should contemplate more on what I'm experiencing now, and less on the past. Before I left that thought though, I realized that I was viewing myself as a teenager from a 3rd person view, like a camera high above the street... it made myself as the teenager seem so impersonal, just like anyone else. So I tried to bring that 3rd person view to myself at the present, and it made me feel different, like I was just like everyone else... perhaps some cosmetic genetic differences, but functionally, mentally and physically, just like everyone else, in the same way as the tree next to me or the mongoose running across the road in front of me. This made it easier to break down WHAT we are... the question of WHO we are (the ego) seemed irrelevant at this point, and I thought about how evolution had dispersed life across this earth, which may seem so vastly different to each other, but not so much considering that we all came from the same chemical reaction that happened on earth millions of years ago. And these chemicals came from the earth which share it's origins with the whole universe. And the millions of years of evolution may seem like a long time from our perspective, but in the perspective of the universe, it's just a flash.

Sorry about the rambling, but yes, it's something I'm working on as well, and I'm sure there are so many different ways to work this out, but for today, this worked for me.
  • @telly I think the vast majority of us are working on it lol. Also there is a lot of talk about yoga, it seems very beneficial from an outside point of view. What you said about remaining in the present also is something I myself can relate to, often I find myself wishing I would have done things differently, but what is the point in that? That is over and done with, it does not even exist anymore.

To add, I find it inspiring and a help at least to me to realize that every act of crime, every war, every act of violence is due to the ego.
  • Telly03Telly03 Veteran
    edited December 2011
    "To add, I find it inspiring and a help at least to me to realize that every act of crime, every war, every act of violence is due to the ego."

Good point :)
  • In my opinion..."Destroy the ego" means to destroy worldly ambitions.
  • The problem is a lot of Buddhists, are full of crap. They create the very concepts and boxes and labels that we are supposed to let go of.

The way I see it, the ego with which we identify as a personality with a certain momentum to it, is not something to destroy at all. Might fry your brain with drugs.

What we are is NO-THING. The "I AM" that we sense is what we are. BUT! The ego structure is there to help one make sense of the vantage point we have access to within consciousness. It's our very own troubleshooter and problem solver.It's the survival mechanism developed by the child to adapt to SOCIETY.

As such, it's not someone to do away with. It is what enabled us to acquire conventional wisdom and is something one should honor even after enlightenment.

I think a lot of buddhists advise people to detach from their suffering without bearing in mind the ego structure is there to help us heal the whole world from bad karma. If we accept responsibility for all of the ego's problems and heal them without blame, then everything is working fine.

The assumption that the ego is by it's very nature selfish is stupid.The ego has no inherent qualities. It's an amalgam of whatever we identify with as ours.
  • @epicurus - great points
  • In my opinion..."Destroy the ego" means to destroy worldly ambitions.
    indeed it does because by going after ambition, you have this image of your mind of what you want in the future and you're not living in the present. you desire the image of your ambitions to increase the ego's "I did this!" POV.
    nice :thumbsup: Have you attained this out of curiosity?
    no
  • Grabbing onto some ideas as they drift by, pushing away others, we each create an apparently workable ego-identity for ourselves and then spend the rest of our lives in a desperate attempt to preserve that identity.

In reality we are not fixed, unchanging, separate selves but rather we are a part of ever changing flow of life. With no beginning and no end.

Let go of any fixed, ego-delineated view of ourselves. Give up our attachment to the illusion that there is a real, final and definitive boundary between ourselves and everything else. False self and resulting dualistic view of life can then be replaced with peace and gratitude for all that is.
  • Grabbing onto some ideas as they drift by, pushing away others, we each create an apparently workable ego-identity for ourselves and then spend the rest of our lives in a desperate attempt to preserve that identity.

In reality we are not fixed, unchanging, separate selves but rather we are a part of ever changing flow of life. With no beginning and no end.

Let go of any fixed, ego-delineated view of ourselves. Give up our attachment to the illusion that there is a real, final and definitive boundary between ourselves and everything else. False self and resulting dualistic view of life can then be replaced with peace and gratitude for all that is.
    Society thrives on and encourages consistency, and they will hold you to it even when they themselves cannot do it. It's not so much hypocrisy as mutability, however not being open to the idea of constant flux rather than complacency is the human downfall. It's clinging. There is no possible way to remove self,because we "are". We are tangible and solid, not energy. Speaking only for myself. YMMV.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    I'm not really sure myself; but I recommend reading "The Problem of Egolessness" for a slightly different perspective.