Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Forum upgrade (Vanilla 2.0.18 beta 4)

LincLinc Site ownerDetroit Moderator
edited September 2011 in NewBuddhist.com
Let me know if you see anything wonky with the forum. I just upgraded us to the latest beta version and I'd like to get any bugs fixed before the final release. Thanks for your help :)

Comments

• BonsaiDougBonsaiDoug Simply, on the path. Veteran
    edited September 2011
    Don't know if this qualifies as "wonky," but I just tried to insert a pic from my PC into one of my posts and got an error message saying something like, "could not move."
  • LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    Thanks for the heads up! That was actually a problem with how I had our site set up (not the software itself). Fixed.
  • Are there new features w this version?
    They are mostly behind-the-scenes features :) Also, you wouldn't notice too much of a difference as I upgrade us frequently to the latest code base in between versions, so it's much more subtle for us. I just wanted to remind everyone to point out problems to help me make a good and stable release version. :D
  • @Lincoln I don't know if it happened as a result of the latest update, but sometimes when I click the "Post Comments" it creates a new set of "posting tools" at below the existing one with my text. If I click the post comments button again, it will post the comment and recover to normal function. If I leave the thread and re-enter it will also recover. I am on a Mac using Safari 5.1. If you need more information let me know.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    I don't get avatars on the general banter page, but I do on all discussions page.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    The smiley dropdown isn't working for me.
    @Jason What browser? Tried clearing the browser cache? I made a small change.
  • I don't get avatars on the general banter page, but I do on all discussions page.
    Likewise!
  • MindGateMindGate United States Veteran
    I don't get avatars on the general banter page, but I do on all discussions page.
    Likewise!
    Me too.
    Thanks guys, fixed!
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Thanks guys, fixed!
    You're so good! And fast!

• @Lincoln i keep getting a little black translucent box which says "undefined" on threads i opened in a new tab. It's a bit annoying to keep closing them on every tab i open for every single thread.
    @Lincoln i keep getting a little black translucent box which says "undefined" on threads i opened in a new tab. It's a bit annoying to keep closing them on every tab i open for every single thread.
    Huh, that's odd, sounds like notifications are acting up. Do you know what operating system (Mac / Windows) and browser (IE / Firefox / Safari / Chrome) you're using? Could you try clearing your browser cache and see if that fixes it?

Anyone else seeing this?
  • I'm using Windows 7 with Firefox 3.6.22. Cleared my browser cache and it doesn't do anything.
  • BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    Might want to upgrade to a current version of Firefox. Firefox 6 is the latest. FF3 is quite old and may not support modern web features:

• Brian/Lincon
    how do you give an 'avatar' for the user name? :)
    From your profile page (click your name), select "Change My Picture" near the top left.
  • Using FF6 now and so far everything's okay :)
  • whats with all the emoticons as those little pictures?
    @Fenix I don't understand what you're asking.
  • johnathanjohnathan Canada Veteran
    edited September 2011
    I think Fenix is refering to the emoticon looking avatars. Like Upekka's a few posts up.
    Oh, those are just default avatars, @Fenix. They get auto-generated for each new member and they can replace them with their own at any time.
  • x changed his profile picture

So everyone here has the male body form? :p

Lincoln, still looking at the old 'suggestions' page?
    @Floating_Abu In Vanilla, there's a gender selector at signup. I guess no one gets to see it when you import - good point. Was there a specific suggestion you wanted to bring up again?
    edited September 2011
    I still think we should have an "about us" page on our profiles. Just an idea.
    @MindGate I agree. It's on my list.
  • Floating_AbuFloating_Abu Veteran
    edited September 2011
    @Floating_Abu In Vanilla, there's a gender selector at signup. I guess no one gets to see it when you import - good point. Was there a specific suggestion you wanted to bring up again?
    To be honest, I was hoping you would kind of look at the old list, @Lincoln.

What comes to mind is mainly a more advanced search feature, and to be able to automatically bold, italicise, quote etc without remembering those <.> commands please.

But maybe that is just my laziness.

There were other points I think, like seeing who started a thread etc but it's generally functional now so just for your consideration.

_/\_

All good points and things that are still being worked on for sure. :) The easy formatting has been giving me fits for ages now but I'm still trying.
  • Merci.
    @tmottes How often would you say that happens? I've only ever seen it a couple times and can't reliably reproduce it. If you have a scenario where you can get it to happen reliably, I'd love to know.
  • tmottestmottes Veteran
    edited September 2011
    @Lincoln It seems to happen after the draft gets autosaved. Then when I hit post comments it produces the second set of "posting tools".

EDIT: when I posted this I waited for the autosave and then posted and, of course, it worked fine. perhaps I should have waited for a second autosave. It definitely happens when more time has passed after entering text to be posted.
  • Linc, thought of one - a signature tag! Just if it is easy... :cool:
    edited October 2011
    Linc, thought of one - a signature tag! Just if it is easy... :cool:
    Eh... it may make the posts look a little messy and not so clean like they are now. Just my 2 cents that no one asked for.
  • Linc, thought of one - a signature tag! Just if it is easy... :cool:
    Eh... it may make the posts look a little messy and not so clean like they are now. Just my 2 cents that no one asked for.
    :p

Cute.

Yeah, but @Mindgate, you must (I presume) have been on other forums. We've always had signature tags, I think (but cannot remember anymore ahem!) we even used to on NB no? But this new format -- well Lincoln I presume will know how it would look. This format may not be as amenable to it but if it is an easy option, I think it's nice. (Another unasked for...)
    edited October 2011
    Linc, thought of one - a signature tag! Just if it is easy... :cool:
    :p

Cute.

Yeah, but @Mindgate, you must (I presume) have been on other forums. We've always had signature tags, I think (but cannot remember anymore ahem!) we even used to on NB no? But this new format -- well Lincoln I presume will know how it would look. This format may not be as amenable to it but if it is an easy option, I think it's nice. (Another unasked for...)
    I joined a couple days before they remodeled the site. (I'm not sure, I could just be making stuff up, but...) I believe somebody said something about tags and Lincoln said he thought the site was a lot cleaner (sleeker, whatever) in this format (including the lack of signatures).

I'm not against the idea, I was just stating what I see as a potential issue.
    I strongly dislike signatures for the reason @MindGate gave. That one's a case of "won't" not "can't" :)
  • OK.
  • I vote against signatures as well. Especially if there is going to be a profile feature where you can post all your favorite quotes (and other info).
  • BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    Our expanded profile pages will more than make up for the loss of signatures.
    Our expanded profile pages will more than make up for the loss of signatures.
    Yes!
  • Are notifications disabled or broken? I've happened across a few @aMatt without seeing anything show up on the tabs...
    edited October 2011
    I also suggest a rating system for comments and threads, similar to that of Facebook or Reddit. There's been so many times I've wanted to thumbs-up or thumbs-down comments without actually posting so. Although, I'm not sure if it should be anonymous like "2 people like this post" or if it should be like, "MindGate and [name here] likes this post." But, hey, its just a suggestion.
  • I think that was already suggested before and declined.
  • Bold, italic, color, quote
    Who started thread / reads / etc

As per last time.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited October 2011
    @Floating_Abu
    There are bold, italic and quote. Use "b", "i" and " blockquote rel="name" ".
    And this is a quote. And this is a quote. And this is a quote. And this is a quote. And this is a quote. And this is a quote. And this is a quote. And this is a quote. And this is a quote.
  • With a function. (like Quote) But yah, thanks anyway @Cloud.

_/\_
    When is the blog/articles coming back?
    Patience. :)
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    :om: