Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Is Buddhism a beliefsystem?

edited September 2011 in Buddhism Basics
All the methods are very practical in buddhism for to develope inner peace.
But all talks about rebirth, bardos etc seems more like a beliefsystem.

Comments

• Hi Julia, as I understand it concepts like you mention are systems of belief. Some belief systems develop into complex explanations and practices, essentially, in order to explain and help individuals towards understanding some aspect of reality. As they are human constructs it can take a bit of unravelling and examination to get to the core purpose and certainly not every belief system suits everyone. My own experience is that belief systems can remain without any difficulty as long as they are understood for being what they are - a tool.
  • Maybe modern Buddhism is in part a belief system, but the defining characteristic of Buddhism has always been that it's a system of liberation from suffering. We can apply the teachings in any number of ways, even as beliefs for our temporary comfort, but only by following the Noble Eightfold Path do we gain the unique advantage of the Buddha's teachings.
  • MindGateMindGate United States Veteran
    edited September 2011
    Buddhism, in its strictest sense, is just simply a way of life (living the 8fold path to be liberated from suffering). But, depending on your sect, it can incorporated a whole bunch of stuff. It can be very action based (4NT and 8Fold Path and meditation). Then, comes along with it is philosophy (such as emptiness, etc). Then, there comes metaphysics (rebirth, cosmology, etc).

Depending on your sect, Buddhism can incorporate a bunch of stuff. I consider myself part of the Zen/Ch'an sect which I believe is heavily action/philosophy based. Then there's Tibetan Buddhism which has a lot of metaphysics. And then there's tons of other sects and subsects to choose from.

Not all Buddhists "believe" the same thing. All these paths do lead to the same end, though. They are all trying to help you, lead you to the same goal: enlightenment. They are just rafts; fingers pointing at the goal. Different systems to lead you to awakening. Like I said, in its strictest sense, Buddhism is just a way of life (enlightenment).
  • MindGateMindGate United States Veteran
    edited September 2011
    Maybe modern Buddhism is in part a belief system, but the defining characteristic of Buddhism has always been that it's a system of liberation from suffering. We can apply the teachings in any number of ways, even as beliefs for our temporary comfort, but only by following the Noble Eightfold Path do we gain the unique advantage of the Buddha's teachings.
    Exactly. :)
    Great way of saying this, Cloud. Short, concise, and to the point. Better than my long, drawn-out way. :p

PS: About my last post, its merely my view. Other people may have different views.
  • All the methods are very practical in buddhism for to develope inner peace.
    Do you mean, is Buddhism based on belief? No. As MindGate and the others point out, Buddhism is based on a way of living, not a set of beliefs.

A religion based on belief has a creed that openly says, "Here is what I believe." and the heart of the religion is belief in this set of statements. The belief is most important and in fact the only thing that matters.

For instance, to a Christian, belief in Christ as the Son of God is required. There are no actions you can take, no practices in life that will get you into Heaven without that. I'm not criticizing that religion, only stating what they would agree with. The transforming power of the religion is in their belief. They talk about the error of thinking good deeds or your own effort will get you anywhere in the end.

Buddhism was and continues to be based on a set of actions, not beliefs. "Do this and this and that, and you will be enlightened." We don't claim that only people who believe Siddhartha became Buddha or that we will be reincarnated or whatever are the only people going to be enlightened.

• For me, the Buddhism I practice is definitely a belief system. Others may vary. I think when I first started practising I was scared to admit that, but what are the Four Noble Truths or the Eightfold Path, if not elements of a belief system?

IMHO it is disingenuous to say that Buddhism is not a belief system, that it's a "lifestyle" or a "philosophy". The Buddhist lifestyle is based on Buddhist belief, and a philosophy is, by definition, a system of thought.

Buddhism is not, however, exclusivist, as Cinorjer says above. It does not say it is the only way. There are many rafts across the river, and all ultimately have to be abandoned before we can be fully Enlightened.
  • I agree with Ada. There is nothing wrong with beliefs, we all have them and they give shape and meaning to our world. I'm not sure it's possible to practice any religion without incorporating a set of beliefs. I suppose the difference is, Buddhism doesn't claim one set of beliefs is necessary, and only those.
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    All the methods are very practical in buddhism for to develope inner peace.

That is not really true of Zen tradition. :) Someone once asked a Zen Master "What happens after we die?" He said: "I don't know I haven't died yet, next question!" :)
  • we work with what can help us in the moment.
    buddhism in that sense is extremely practical.
    you as the individual know what you need to fix.

buddhism in that sense gives you the tools/method to help you.
    faith is needed in the beginning. you have to have the faith in the buddha or his teachings. then you can explore and then faith will be replaced with your experiential confidence.

life is your playground and labortory.