Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Why am I sometimes signed out of Newbuddhist?

edited October 2011 in NewBuddhist.com
"Why am I sometimes signed out of Newbuddhist?"

Comments

• Does your browser delete your cookies or active logins when you close it?
  • edited October 2011
    @Cloud, I'm not sure, I don't think so. Me being signed out only happens about once every 2 months or so.. does that mean the otherwise?
  • MindGateMindGate United States Veteran
    People be stealing cookies from your cookie jar, sir.
  • I think that might happen to me too, but it happens so rarely that I never take much notice of it. Once every 2 months or so is nothing... (beats having to sign-in every time you visit the site).
  • LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    Your cookie probably expires. They don't last forever.
  • That happened to me just a couple of days ago. I was posting, and then suddenly I was signed out.

What's a cookie?
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited October 2011
    Well here's the Wiki entry for "HTTP Cookie": A cookie, also known as an HTTP cookie, web cookie, or browser cookie, is used for an origin website to send state information to a user's browser and for the browser to return the state information to the origin site.[1] The state information can be used for authentication, identification of a user session, user's preferences, shopping cart contents, or anything else that can be accomplished through storing text data on the user's computer.

So basically it's because of the cookie that you're allowed to return to NewBuddhist.com and still be signed in.
  • edited October 2011
    :eek2: OK. ...whatever. :confused:
    Thanks, Cloud. ....I think. :scratch:
    :aol:
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited October 2011

Newbuddhist forum addiction :)
  • LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    A cookie is a little token that your browser keeps to say you're for-real logged into a site. They can store info to prove it's really you (and other bits of data) and they generally have an expiration date.