Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Those who disregard Vajrayana as not Buddhism

ManiMani Veteran
edited October 2011 in Buddhism Basics
Instead of continuing to respond to various comments in various threads, I thought I would make a thread based upon this.

There are so many incidents where many people will express their own limited views towards Vajrayana (and its practitioner's), claiming it to not be Buddhist. I feel this is quite tiring and never seems to end. It really leads to intolerance of other vehicles, and traditions. I see this on most forums I have been to, and it is quite sad.

Please, lets all keep in mind that there are so many methods within Buddhism that are really aiming towards similar goals. We mustn't confuse actual Dharma with the methods utilized to realize Dharma. Dharma has a few meanings within different contexts, but ultimately Dharma is the way things are, or the way things exist.

It is absurd to put forth these opinions, and is really showing little respect for some of the great teacher's that have great realization of the nature of reality that comes from these practices. And it is absurd to think that they are any less "Buddhist", then a teacher from another tradition.

Sometimes I feel if we seriously focus on changing ourselves, and not others then we may have some hope...

:thumbsup:

M

Comments

• One of my favorite "books" was written by Padma Sambhava....

"THE TIBETAN BOOK
    OF THE GREAT LIBERATION"
    - OR -
    “THE METHOD OF REALIZING
    NIRVANNA THROUGH KNOWING
    THE MIND”

If you would like to read it ( it's not very long ) it is at...

http://arfalpha.com/OneMind/TheGreatLiberation.PDF

• I can't say I've noticed any particular prejudice against Vajrayana.
  • There was a big ugly thread on it that was closed a few days ago.

Just a word to everyone reading this thread: This thread will NOT go the way of the other one. Adult discussion is welcomed. Invective, name-calling, etc is not, and will not be tolerated. Period.
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    Many people have great Ignorance in their mind its not suprising to see it manifest against what they do not really understand.
  • BhanteLuckyBhanteLucky Alternative lifestyle person in the South Island of New Zealand New Zealand Veteran

There are so many incidents where many people will express their own limited views towards Vajrayana (and its practitioner's), claiming it to not be Buddhist.
    Certainly I have heard Theravadan monks laughing about Vajrayana beliefs and practises. But in my experience the bias is the other way around - Mahayana and Vajrayana buddhists denigrating Theravada as deficient, or a lesser teaching. They even have a belittling name for Theravada; "Hinayana", the "lesser vehicle".

However, it must be admitted that some aspects of Vajrayana are categorically not Buddhist. For example Tibetan Buddhism is influenced by and contains elements of the Bon religion. Bon beliefs that their shamans had the power of rainmaking and the gift of prophecy have been integrated with the powers of Lamas. And Bon gods and demons have been included in Tibetan Buddhism as Dharma Palas, defenders of the dharma.
    And you know that thing where the lama or monk dips his finger into water or milk, and then flicks it up? That's Bon too.
    So, with respect, in those cases and examples, criticism can be laid towards Vajrayana.

On a different matter, I was astonished to find there are sects within Mahayaha that dismiss the entire pali canon as a "provisional teaching" for those who are not ready, or who are not intelligent enough to understand the full teaching. For them, the Lotus Sutra is the "true" teaching of the Buddha, and all the previous suttas and teachings are mere "Expedient Means".
    They say all people who are not devoted to the Lotus Sutra are not True Buddhists.

But of course, fundamentally most sects have the Four Noble Truths as their foundation, and follow the 8-fold path. So in that way Theravada, Mahayana, and Vajrayana are basically the same, or are different aspects or expressions of the same religion.

If a sect abandoned the Four Noble Truths and the 8-fold Path, then I would say it's not Buddhism. But, I'd be willing to listen to arguments from any such sects, it has been known for me to be wrong!
  • shanyinshanyin Novice Yogin Sault Ontario Veteran
    I think my take on it is the same as Noah Levines... "if the Buddha didn't say it, it's not Buddhism"
  • ToshTosh Veteran

If a sect abandoned the Four Noble Truths and the 8-fold Path, then I would say it's not Buddhism. But, I'd be willing to listen to arguments from any such sects, it has been known for me to be wrong!
    I'm taught that anything that contains the Four Seals is 'Buddhist':

All compounded things are impermanent.
    All stained emotions are painful.
    All phenomena are empty.
    Nirvana is peace.

What do you reckon?
  • Defining Buddhism - in a narrow way - and stating that the rest is not Buddhism is a dogmatic way of thinking.

We don’t own the truth of anything, we don’t own Buddhism; and neither does the sect we belong to.

• I think my take on it is the same as Noah Levines... "if the Buddha didn't say it, it's not Buddhism"
    I might agree, but this would lead to huge arguments about what the Buddha really said, and what was a later influence. Scholars are still duking it out over that one, AFAIK. How does one determine what he really said? Different people use different criteria.
  • BhanteLuckyBhanteLucky Alternative lifestyle person in the South Island of New Zealand New Zealand Veteran

I'm taught that anything that contains the Four Seals is 'Buddhist':

All compounded things are impermanent.
    All stained emotions are painful.
    All phenomena are empty.
    Nirvana is peace.

What do you reckon?
    Hmm... yes, sounds good to me. The Four Seals are very closely linked to the Four Noble Truths, so I reckon that qualifies.
  • I think my take on it is the same as Noah Levines... "if the Buddha didn't say it, it's not Buddhism"
    I might agree, but this would lead to huge arguments about what the Buddha really said, and what was a later influence. Scholars are still duking it out over that one, AFAIK. How does one determine what he really said? Different people use different criteria.
    If it turned out the Buddha was a literary invention; the whole content of the teaching would be as true (or false) as it was before. It would still be Buddhism to me.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited October 2011
    ha, yeah, and people would still be arguing over what's best, which practices are "degenerate", and so forth. meh...humanity! What can you do? :-/
  • Just do your own practice.

How many of us talk a lot, but then we have no energy for are own practice?
  • The mahayana and theravada have benefited countless sentient beings. Why should there be a problem?
  • @ Jeffrey :) :thumbsup:
    It's not that we don't have the energy, it's that after hanging around here all day, we don't have the time! More mindfulness is needed regarding how we spend our time. For some of us, anyway. Not to mention anyone in particular. ...Certainly not me ... :orange:
  • James, I find it unsurprising that buddhism absorbed some of the traditions of bon. Wouldn't it be odd if it hadn't? Would you say the tea ceremony is also a foul when practiced by buddhists?

Regarding Hinayana I have heard that it is a very low word in some translations and I don't approve of its use. The dalai lama explained the reason for maha/great is that the wish for enlightenment includes all beings and thus it is vaster than just one.

A lot of the mahayana sutras are also considered provisional. This is important in some of the traditions to distinguish between provisional and definitive. Many theravadan practitioners say certain of the pali sutras are 'mundane' sutras. So if the theravada considers some of its own sutras as 'lower' then is it any bit surprising that the mahayana may also have its own opinion.

I think you are acting as if the mahayana is an aggressor when in fact they just have their own genuine beliefs. If a Jehova witness says that I should not have a blood transfusion are they an agressor or are they just true to their beliefs on the matter?

• @Jeffrey What's this about "provisional" and "definitive" traditions or sutras? I've never heard that before.
  • Its odd to me that hinayana is regarded as pejorative. My teacher used the term, but with respect. The lesser or smaller vehicle was never regarded as less valuable, simply inclusive of a smaller amount of text. Its not surprising to see people wield notions and traditions against each other though, perhaps a bit disappointing. With so many common challenges that face our species, which buddhism is the purest seems like a pretty silly target for examination.
  • edited October 2011
    My personal policy is to use "Hinayana" in a historical sense. After Theravada developed as a distinct tradition by that name, it's more appropriate to use the term "Theravada". It's a courtesy to the Theravadans.

I think the Dalai Lama's perspective on the plethora of religions in general is relevant here. He says he used to think that Buddhism was the superior religion. Then, after traveling and getting to know the world, he realized that different religions evolved according to local customs, and so are culturally determined to a degree. Some are suited for certain cultures, others for other cultures. The "different strokes for different folks" approach could apply to the many forms of Buddhism as well.

Vive la difference! If we can celebrate other forms of diversity, why can't we celebrate diversity within Buddhism? Does it strike too close to home, perhaps? Too close to the heart?
  • VajraheartVajraheart Veteran
    edited October 2011

There are so many incidents where many people will express their own limited views towards Vajrayana (and its practitioner's), claiming it to not be Buddhist.
    Certainly I have heard Theravadan monks laughing about Vajrayana beliefs and practises. But in my experience the bias is the other way around - Mahayana and Vajrayana buddhists denigrating Theravada as deficient, or a lesser teaching. They even have a belittling name for Theravada; "Hinayana", the "lesser vehicle".

Actually they're not talking about Theravada, they're talking about an ancient form of Buddhism not practiced anymore. Theravada includes the Bodhisatta ideal, so is not a Hinayana path. Hinayana vs. Mahayana is merely to discern between self liberation and liberation for the sake of all beings, that is all.
    I think my take on it is the same as Noah Levines... "if the Buddha didn't say it, it's not Buddhism"
    If Buddhas teachings didn't lead to other Buddhas expanding on the teaching, than the Buddhas words didn't work. But since they worked, it did lead to other Buddhas, who expanded on the teachings, thus manifesting further turnings of the wheel of dharma. If one doesn't understand the further turnings of the wheel, than just practice yours without denigrating the expansive elaborations which supposedly came later. According to the further turnings though, they didn't come later, they just appeared to come later on our Earth plane.
  • People evolve and Buddhism traveled, you better believe that Theravada as it's practiced in Thailand is different from what it was in India long ago. It'd be silly to think otherwise.
  • Vajrayana works directly on the subconscious seeds of mental obscurations through a none physical paradigm of perception opened to those with refined jhanic experience. One cannot really evolve in Vajrayana without stability in the higher jhanas which are discussed in Theravada.

Moderator: I thought of posting this long after my time limit for adding it to my previous statement, sorry. You may merge them if you feel it necessary.
  • I guess the problem is that many misunderstand folkloric tradition and adoption of Dharma elements into existing believe systems it self as Vajrayana. We always need to wash the cultural defilement out first. :wave:
    But actually mostly we grasp on that what is needed to wash out, we love to identify our self's.
  • Vajrayana works directly on the subconscious seeds of mental obscurations through a none physical paradigm of perception opened to those with refined jhanic experience.
    :wow:
  • I've noticed hostility towards Vajrayana practices and institutions. It is usually on the basis of some alleged heterodoxy. However, what disturbs me more is hostility towards Vajrayana practices coming from Buddhists who tend to identify as 'non-theistic' and generally place themselves in a secular paradigm. In some cases, this manifests in a really venomous way. The aggression concerns me, as I've heard talk of 'cleansing' Buddhism of 'superstition' and 'theism' and 'magic'. It seems to me that a certain wing of the almost "evangelical" atheist demographic has begun to appropriate Buddhism for its own purposes. This demographic tends to have a very crude, shallow understanding of religious thought, practice and experience, and very little interest correcting this problem. Quite worrisome.
  • This demographic tends to have a very crude, shallow understanding of religious thought, practice and experience, and very little interest correcting this problem. Quite worrisome.
    Mostly it's experience, as if they'd get beyond the 5 sense level of experience on a solid basis, they'd think differently about the nature of this multi-dimensional universe and stop projecting their own personal limitations upon those that have transcended them.
  • Skepticism is not hostile. It’s just skepticism.
    Personally I’m guilty of it.

I try not to be too evangelical about it, but I can sometimes feel the need to defend the right (of a Buddhist) to be a skeptic. Or I could argue when people say that “the proof is out there” when I think that’s not the case.
    At the other hand: I’ll grant everyone the right to believe what they want.

• This demographic tends to have a very crude, shallow understanding of religious thought, practice and experience, and very little interest correcting this problem. Quite worrisome.
    Mostly it's experience, as if they'd get beyond the 5 sense level of experience on a solid basis, they'd think differently about the nature of this multi-dimensional universe and stop projecting their own personal limitations upon those that have transcended them.
    This statement seems to me as a "holier than thou" kind of decree. It is obvious from this position that the poster is removed from the ordinary person, and has transcended their five senses by meditation and practice of the subtle jhanas. It is as if this superior position can not be obtained through any other means, than the Vajrayana practice. It seems odd that such a small percent of human kind even practice Vajrayana. To make the assumption that deeper states of understanding one's own mind can only come through Vajrayana practice is naive at best and borders on a kind of self aggrandizing ego.
    Every religious tradition has a path to higher consciousness. In fact one need not even be a part of any religious affiliation to reach transcendent states of consciousness. It is fine if one practices Vajrayana, and believes they have penetrated deep into the reality of mind, and the universe. But to put down others who have a different path is prejudice, and therefore the higher states of consciousness that is claimed superior teaching becomes highly suspect. Without humility, any practice or religion is harmful and divisive.
    A way to end this kind of superiority is to smack the practitioner with a brick upside the head. Then we'll see how those subtle realizations that transcend ordinary human beings works. :)

• Oh, just to add....the post I just made was not a personal attach on anyone in particular. It was a reaction to the kind of "surety" that comes across in many peoples belief in their own religious practice. IMO, it is blind to true empathy, and usually is only supported by peers of the same ilk. It runs the gambit of every religion, and is usually called fundamentalism. When we think our practice is somehow superior to others we had better take a strong look at what we believe, and rid ourselves of any superior sounding communication.
  • SattvaPaulSattvaPaul South Wales, UK Veteran
    edited October 2011
    The Vajrayana's claims to superiority have always bothered me and have been a great obstacle. Not to mention Dzogchen (oh, we are the highest of the highest of the highest).

...and likewise Theravadin's claim of authenticity.
    I'm getting fed up with "Buddhism" actually and that is one of the reasons.
  • The Vajrayana's claims to superiority have always bothered me and have been a great obstacle. Not to mention Dzogchen (oh, we are the highest of the highest of the highest).

...and likewise Theravadin's claim of authenticity.
    I'm getting fed up with "Buddhism" actually and that is one of the reasons.
    This is what happens when the ego of a person BELIEVES they are in the right to proclaim the TRUTH. I read a book a long while ago, still have it, called "The Essential Unity of All Religions". The religious aspect of the human experience is innate. We have some big questions, like what is the purpose of life?, Why are we even alive? where did the universe come from? So we have evolved to the place to ask these unanswerable questions. I personally was drawn to Buddhism because it seemed to not have to answer these questions, and seemed to be the most tolerant and least "fundamentalist" of other religions. As the years have rolled by I have seen so much damage done by well meaning Buddhists who "preach" their version of Buddhism to others. It comes from every school. Theravedan, Mahayana, Vajrayana, and Zen. What I have done with this is remember that some people need to be concretely right about their belief system, and are totally unaware that they are being absolutely inflexible. So I try to remind them of the nature of universal acceptance of all religions and people, which by the way all religions teach. :)
    I hope you do not abandon Buddhism because of a few people who think they know more than the rest of us. "Wash my own rice bowl", is sufficient for me to continue my practice of Buddhism, in spite of the preachers of different sects. :)

• Well said @wondering!
  • edited October 2011
    Hi everyone.

As a new practitioner [about 14 months daily meditation and study of Hinayana, Mahayana and some Nyingma lamas on Vajrayana] I'd like to add my two pennies worth to this discussion.

Surely a lot of what Buddhism teaches is about non-duality.
    That there is no right/wrong, no in/out etc.

Doesn't criticising other vehicles mean one is seeing things dualistically ?
    Who are we to criticise the path of another ?

I keep going back to the Hinayana teaches when I realise that I am not understanding something from the 'higher' teachings either intellectually or more importantly, experientially at a wisdom level.

The sort of arguments that go on, and the way they are expressed are like the fundamentalist or literalist versus gnostic or inner experience divisions in Christianity and Islam. Not helpful and sometimes leading to violence ?

I've just been reading a Lama Yeshe book The Peaceful Stillness of the Silent Mind and he says Buddha taught at different levels and for different people at different stages.

I wonder whether the Theravadin followers [not all by any means] sometimes cannot see behind the surface of the imagery and practice of Vajrayana ?
    Or understand the need that we humans sometimes have for symbols and a connection with images from deep within our inner conciousness ?
    [ref. Jung and other transpersonal pyschologists]

Also unless Theravadin/Hinayana practitioners experience Vajrayana practice at a deep level how can they say it's wrong or not what Buddha taught ?

Didn't Buddha say we should find out by our own experience ?
    Don't Vajrayana practitioners build up through the path of the other vehicles ?

I don't think I've ever read anything that suggests a criticism of Theravadin/Hinayana by any Vajrayana teachers, more that it's 'horses for courses' and individual choice.

The world has enough divisions, adding more 'Our way is right, yours is wrong' seems sad.
  • Maybe we see the vehicle as more important as the destiny or the travel it self. Just remember when you think about to come somewhere. We would spend hours to think and discuss which would be the best way. Even we are on the travel, we would talk about how it would be if we had took a different car or maybe the luxury bus.
    Some would even never start to go on.

Its like the modern backpacker culture. 1000h research, feedback and organizing and even after a long trip haven't seen anything, but another 1000h of stories what people have talked and the news about information centers and where to get the best films.

*smile*
  • It's so much simpler just to practice the Eightfold path, the precepts, mindfulness, the basics. Then these sectarian squabbles are irrelevant.
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    I've heard it taught that a person who practices to get better future karma or a better next life is on the common path. Someone who practices to free themselves from samsara is on the hinayana path. And those who practice to free all beings from samsara are on the mahayana path. Vajrayana being a part of mahayana.

According to this definition by our motivation, even though I study mahayana buddhism my motivation is mostly about my immediate pleasure and comfort, maybe a little concern about my future karma.

My point is, the real path we are on isn't determined by which teachings we follow but by the motivation behind our practice.

• My point is, the real path we are on isn't determined by which teachings we follow but by the motivation behind our practice.
    I really think this is true. Wouldn't it be so much different if that were what was taught, rather than getting the scriptures right, or following the "best" teacher, or believing that the religion ( sect ) one was following is the best ( only ) way. The people who care about such things are motivated by gain not by love. It is only when the person's desires fade away are they able to comprehend what all religions ( in essence ) have in common. When peoples motivation is egotistical all kinds of problems ensue, including enmity, death, and war.

• "@Jeffrey What's this about "provisional" and "definitive" traditions or sutras? I've never heard that before."

@compassionate_warrior: An example of a provisional sutra is the heart sutra. I may be incorrect about that, but the heart sutra can easily be misunderstood. Thus it is provisional which in the context I referred to in an earlier post means that it is in need of the reader's interpretation. There are some other sutras which I have heard are definitive such as the nirvana sutra. Even so I find that we should always guard against holding to adamantly to our own interpretation of a sutra, because we could have made a mistake :{ Thich Nhat Hanh says that some of the teachings dealing with emptiness are like a snake. That you have to use a forked stick to handle the snake properly so that it does not bite you. This is in his book Thundering Silence.

We see the eightfold path and four noble truths, but notice that each website we go to there is a different expression of these qualities. I am not speculating these pieces are provisional! But rather I am saying that each person hears what he needs to from these teachings. Probably they are expressed in english by a person who has spent a long time in retreat reading texts and meditating.

Just an aside the practitioner leading an aol informal sangha, a very personable patient guy, expressed to me that some of the Tibetan Buddhists recognize the 2nd turning of dharma as definitive prajna parimita/emptiness whereas some of the Tibetan Buddhists recognize the 3rd turning as definitive, the mahamudra and dzogchen teachings.

The provisional sutras a person must be especially careful to take the teaching lightly (not to say unserious), lightly in the sense that your attitude is relaxed and gentle. Not exited, but rather honest and kindhearted and yielding. For this reason a lot of texts on subjects we find are preceded by taking refuge and generating compassion for all beings.

It is my opinion that all views are provisional and even when we see that truth we need to take the rug out from under our feet again. Emptiness is also form and we need to guard against evil (unskillful but I am thinking of the dhammapada) while at the same time keeping our mind open and gentle. That is just my opinion.

• The last time we had a thread on the Heart Sutra, as I recall, no one could make heads or tails of it ("definitively"), and the discussion was a jumbled mess. So yes, I think some of the Mahayana sutras should be studied with a teacher, and are difficult to divine on one's own.

And I agree with Thich Nhat Hanh. What eloquent wisdom! :thumbsup:
  • @wondering, I think a lot of it (emotion) comes from insecurity that the truth someone has found will be washed away. Imagine if *my* sect disappears from the earth? That kind of fear. So it also is a mixture of fear and love. You want to preserve the purity of the teaching you have received. Which is a good idea isn't it? Yet this is at odds with relating to others with differences.

Again its that fine line between a discussion and an argument. I think its a little of both because we are halfway between lucidity and the doubts.
  • Hmmmmm, if your sect were to wash away from the earth, you still would "believe" in it, no? Or does your "sect" and "belief" need the validation of others who believe the same?
    Getting back to the OP, I think Vajrayana is a part of Buddhist philosophy/psychology/religion. I personally have learned quite a bit from reading Tibetan related books and articles. Remember we have Chögyam Trungpa Rinpoche to thank for bringing Tibetan Buddhism to America in a big way. He also started the Naropa Institute for higher learning in Boulder, Co.
  • edited October 2011
    :lol: "...in a big way" You can say that again! Maybe in a little too big a way. But he did introduce a lot of people to Tibetan Buddhism, he really put it on the map, so that's an achievement. And Naropa is an accredited university now, that's another achievement. In fact, one of our members is attending her freshman year there, now.
  • shanyinshanyin Novice Yogin Sault Ontario Veteran
    Sorry, wasn't implying that later suttas arn't Buddhism or Buddha's word. Good points are made though. Perhaps there were other Buddhas in this age in different times
    This statement seems to me as a "holier than thou" kind of decree. It is obvious from this position that the poster is removed from the ordinary person, and has transcended their five senses by meditation and practice of the subtle jhanas. It is as if this superior position can not be obtained through any other means, than the Vajrayana practice. It seems odd that such a small percent of human kind even practice Vajrayana. To make the assumption that deeper states of understanding one's own mind can only come through Vajrayana practice is naive at best and borders on a kind of self aggrandizing ego.
    Every religious tradition has a path to higher consciousness. In fact one need not even be a part of any religious affiliation to reach transcendent states of consciousness. It is fine if one practices Vajrayana, and believes they have penetrated deep into the reality of mind, and the universe. But to put down others who have a different path is prejudice, and therefore the higher states of consciousness that is claimed superior teaching becomes highly suspect. Without humility, any practice or religion is harmful and divisive.
    A way to end this kind of superiority is to smack the practitioner with a brick upside the head. Then we'll see how those subtle realizations that transcend ordinary human beings works. :)

@wondering

Transcendent states of consciousness are available to all, regardless of tradition affiliation. But, the Buddha did declare that this alone cannot lead to liberation as he defined it. He said that only those that understand dependent origination and apply it's wisdom during the experiencing of higher states of consciousness can one empty them of the tendency for self clinging. The elaboration on the different jhanas and their associated realms is a very important insight that does not exist outside of the path of the Buddhas.

In my own experience, this is true. I was born and raised a Shaivite Tantric, quite attached to Eternalistic views and interpretations of meditative experience and contemplation. This Eternalistic view does not lead to the same freedom from proliferation of views as the insight of dependent origination and emptiness as expounded by the Buddha, as I later came to realize.

But, you are free to disagree.
    edited October 2011
    What I have done with this is remember that some people need to be concretely right about their belief system, and are totally unaware that they are being absolutely inflexible. So I try to remind them of the nature of universal acceptance of all religions and people, which by the way all religions teach. :)

It has nothing to do with inflexibility, as the realization of dependent origination reveals the flexible nature of all being. The potential for liberation is inherent in every sentient being, but not every path leads to Rome, likewise not every passage is climbing to the same peak. The cosmos is very diverse and there are endless destinations arising dependent upon a persons focus. Paths that are Eternalistic by nature cannot lead to the same destination as those that are Nihilistic. Likewise, neither of these types of paths lead to the middle path of Buddhadharma and the Buddha warned people about this. Which is why he left Brahmanism, as well as his forrest tradition teachers to find the Buddhapath that he taught. He argued it's merits over those of Mahaviras Jainism. This imperialistic view that all paths are one and that all being comes from one is not at all what the Buddha taught. He taught that the path has many pitfalls, and the path of bliss alone, or the path of clinging to an eternal Self existence cannot release one into total Buddhahood. The reason for this is that the parts that make up the cosmos are all inter-dependent and empty of inherent existence, they are not independently originated from an eternal, self existing source that has existence from it's own side, like Jainism, Hinduism and Abrahamic paths say.

The Buddha taught the middle path, it's insight is subtler and it's non-theistic in essence. The Buddhas insights do not lead to the same outcome of other paths. Even though, since any individual has the potential to attain Buddhahood, they can, on their own, come to the state of Buddhahood through diligent self inspection, meditation and contemplation. I NEVER said that you had to be a Vajrayana practitioner in order to have the highest realization. It's just that on this planet, there are certain paths that explain with clarity and others that explain with less clarity. I am not to judge what any one person might need during their process of personal growth and progress towards Buddhahood. Just as I needed to master various states of jhana through the practice of Shaivism before I came to Buddhadharma. It was part of my process and I need that stepping stone in order to learn the Brahmaviharas (4 immeasurables) which is what Eternalistic paths revolve around.

From Wiki:

"The brahmavihāras: (sublime attitudes, lit. ‘abodes of brahma’) are a series of four Buddhist virtues and the meditation practices made to cultivate them. They are also known as the four immeasurables (Sanskrit: apramāṇa, Pāli: appamaññā).

According to the Metta Sutta, Shākyamuni Buddha held that cultivation of the four immeasurables has the power to cause the practitioner to be re-born into a Brahma realm (Pāli: Brahmaloka).[3] The meditator is instructed to radiate out to all beings in all directions the mental states of: 1) loving-kindness or benevolence, 2) compassion, 3) sympathetic joy, and, 4) equanimity. The four immeasurables are also found in Patañjali's Yoga Sutras (1.33),[4] a text composed long after the beginning of Buddhism and substantially influenced by Buddhism. These virtues are also highly regarded by Buddhists as powerful antidotes to negative mental states (non-virtues) such as avarice, anger and pride."

These states do lead to higher rebirth, but not Buddhahood, as the insight of dependent origination does not necessarily dawn on a being just because they are in a state of infinite love and bliss, which is the state of the long lived Gods.

Buddhist cosmology is quite unique, and there is a reason why this is so. The cosmos is multifarious and it's parts do not come from one place, they do come from one potential which is infinite potential, but that's not saying all things come from one ultimate "thing". Because they do not, this is why not all paths lead to the same outcome.
  • Sorry, wasn't implying that later suttas arn't Buddhism or Buddha's word. Good points are made though. Perhaps there were other Buddhas in this age in different times
    Ok, then we're in agreement. As the Buddhas teachings did work, thus other Buddhas came after him through his teaching and elaborated upon his teaching for different people at different times.
    edited October 2011

It is only when the person's desires fade away are they able to comprehend what all religions ( in essence ) have in common.

Not all religions talk about desires fading away. Some individuals in different religions do. There are the mystics in various Abrahamic religions who talk as such, as they went deeper through diligent practice and contemplation than the vast majority. But, as far as the original texts, they do not come up with the same level of clarity. The Buddhas teaching is quite unique in that sense. The Buddha is recorded as stating, "I am not a god". These teachings do not come from a self existing God that made everything. He was merely a human who transcended the conditions which kept him internally bound to psychological suffering and rebirths that arise dependent upon this mind of suffering. The Buddha is very clear on what constitutes bondage and what the different states of meditation are and where they lead, as well as what is defined as Nirvana. He is also very clear on the fact that many paths only lead to long lived God realms of bliss, or realms of great power, etc. He was very clear when he stated that not all paths lead to Buddhahood.

His level of clarity was very unique and unheard of at the time. He did say that other beings had attained Buddhahood, but they did not teach it. Really, the truth is in the details, not just putting all paths together, pulling quotes out of context and plastering your own projected meaning onto them in a wish to make everything the same, like the new age movement seems to do. This will be the downfall of a unique tradition that has a unique set of methods that are realized through practicing them, not through merely philosophizing them away through monistic idealism.

@wondering... Buddhahood puts an end to your wondering.
  • wonderingwondering Veteran
    edited October 2011

It is only when the person's desires fade away are they able to comprehend what all religions ( in essence ) have in common.

@wondering... Buddhahood puts an end to your wondering.
    this is a generic statement "What you believe to be true is true for you."

There is no such thing as "Buddhahood". Just ego inflation.

• HanzzeHanzze Veteran
    edited October 2011