Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Musical Tastes

edited July 2005 in Buddhism Today
Here's a subject to lighten the mood and maybe jazz (harharhar) things up a bit. What kind of music does everyone listen to? I assume our tastes will be as varied as the rest of the populations' but maybe there will be some sort of common thread. I bet all of us will agree that we each like a wide variety of music but I'm curious about what really moves you.
The music that moves me most is the music I listen to while exercising. Hard Rock...the harder the better. I've been desensitized to the point that I don't listen to Metallica at the gym anymore because it's too soft and mellow. Slipknot is my current favorite. Their best songs are the ones that sound like one tiny step above senseless chaos with an occasional interlude of melody. Those occasional melodic periods of the songs are a relief from the intense pounding and are all the more harmonic when related to the rest of the song. Kind of like drowning and then catching a sweet lung-ful or air.
I could go on forever about music. I love everything except hiphop and rap.

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited June 2005
    I too have extraordinarily eclectic tastes... If I tell you what I like, it would only change by the next post.... I love everything from classical (Rachmaninov is one of my top dogs!!) to Status Quo.... nothing like three guitar chords to get me swinging round my kitchen.... the plates I've dropped!!
    Due to a hearing problem, it really gets quite painful to try to listen to some of the songs 'shouted' today.... I need to be able to distinguish at least a few of the lyrics.... And I do LOVE Gordon Haskell. I am hopelessly sentimental and Romantic, so any tear-jerker is ok by me.... :bawling::lol:
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited June 2005
    No matter how often I am asked about musical taste, I still can't (or won't) pin myself down to a single artist or a single genre.

In times of depression, I need "3 a.m." music: Officium by Jan Gabrerek and the Hilliard Ensemble - perfect!

In times of anxiety: Leonard Cohen - particularly The Future

In need of a laugh: Tom Lehrer

At all other times: all other music (including the D&B that appears to be most of what my son plays!)
  • comicallyinsanecomicallyinsane Veteran
    edited June 2005
    Classic Rock, bluegrass, some rap, blues.

I don't like country or hip hop.
  • edited June 2005
    I would say that anything that sounds different could be music.

One of my favourite pieces of music is the sound of the train - rumbling along (maybe cause of all the blues I play!)

But if someone were to say: "Only one genre for the rest of your days" I'd have to request World music - so I guess that's my current favourite!
  • LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    edited June 2005
    I've never really understood my musical tastes... people are usually blown away by the weird combinations of music I put on mix CDs. I might put Nirvana after Frank Sinatra, or Edgar Winter Group after Tool, or The Who between the Offspring and the opera from The Fifth Element (movie).

Basically, these are some artists I have felt compelled to buy albums of:

Ben Folds (my favorite)
    Third Eye Blind
    The Who
    Pink Floyd
    Coheed and Cambria
    Badly Drawn Boy
    Frank Sinatra
    The Mars Volta
    Tenacious D
    Rusted Root

I don't know what the common thread is... I tend to like songs that do something "weird"... something I didn't expect at all and throws my ears off balance. I like it when they don't make a "verse" and a "refrain" and just go back and forth between them and call it a song. Bohemian Rhapsody is a good example. It keeps changing throughout the song... you could even call it multiple songs put together. I love it when artisits don't go "uh oh... don't want to use up all my creativity on one song... better put that new pattern in its own song" and just go crazy. Probaby why I love Pink Floyd's 10+ minute pieces. Similarly, I think I like their "The Wall" because the songs are short - they don't dwell on a tune they thought up. It's spent, so they move on instead of throwing in 2 more verses and 3 more refrains like too many of the songs on the radio. :)
  • BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    edited June 2005
    Coheed! You never told me! Oh a fellow fan :D
  • edited June 2005
    Hi everyone!
    I am like most here it seems. ecclectic . I tend to not particularly like any one genre. I find songs that have that "spark". you know the ones, you just get drawn in instantly. oddly enough I think I have found different bands/songs in any music you could name. people look at my cd collection and they think it mut belong to at least 5 or 6 different people. lol
    heres a small cross section of my rotation lately

dave douglas- trumpeter composer extrodinaire
    tool :rockon:
    miles davis :cool: .
    ludachris
    dwight yokham :rocker:
    missy elliot
    anything blues
    anything mozart
    buena vista social club (cuban)
    allison krause and union station

lol you get the picture

two things to consider based on this topic

1) you know that feeling when you "feel a song/note in your gut?" do you think that may be your hara? I do!

2) for the musicians/afficianados: if we lose duality and attain "enlightenment" will there still be wrong notes? ?? cause isn't that just judging and comparing mind? :banghead:

^gassho^
  • edited June 2005
    Well,

I guess I could be considered eclectic in my musical tastes. I like most music, but I do have to admit to a fondness for Celtic/Wiccan/Pagan music, classical music, classical rock, and, although it is not really music in the sense meant here, the sound of others chanting at my sangha. It is really quite powerful and beautiful to listen to the sound of chanting and taking part in it yourself.

Adiana :):)
  • edited June 2005
    I like variety. I can listen to just about anything...just depends on my mood. ^_^
  • edited June 2005
    I play the piano more than I actually just sit and listen to music. When I play (or listen) I enjoy big band songs, some country, broadway, rock ballads, little bit of everything, really.
    edited June 2005
    I go through phases. This past year or so it's been:

Coheed & Cambria
    The Mars Volta
    Fischerspooner
    Nellie McKay
    Vinicius Cantuaria
    Paris Combo
    Rammstein
    Tool
    Mr Bungle
    Fiona Apple
    Yo Yo Ma
    My Chemical Romance
  • emmakemmak Veteran
    edited June 2005
    simonthepilgrim: Leonard Cohen! my mum got me onto his poetry when i was in high school and i love it.
    i havent heard from any other Australians, but have any of you heard of The John Butler Trio? from Western Australia, very blues/folk, very politcal, very cool music. check it out if you get a chance. i could ramble on about Australian music all day. when i am at home i listen to classical radio, calms the old nerves and is nice background music.
    love Queens of the Stone Age
    Foo Fighters
    Franz Ferdinand
    Tool
    Rammstein
    Architecture in Helsinki (Aussie Band)
    Fleetwood Mac
  • ZenLunaticZenLunatic Veteran
    edited June 2005
    wow, lot's of tool fans! Love that Maynard!

Let's see...

Afghan Whigs
    Tool
    A Perfect Circle
    Tom Waits
    Radiohead
    The Tea Party
    Dead Can Dance
    Vas
    VAST
    The Doors
    Stevie Ray Vaughn
    Iron Maiden
    Queensryche
    KISS
    Henry Rollins
    Danzig
    David Darling
    Evanescence (even though they're a closet christian rock band... Amy Lee is too hot :) )
    Ours
    Muddy Waters
    B.B. King
    George Winston
    Anything for Cello.

Some online radiostations I listen to at work.

Dropzone from http://www.somafm.com Chill ambient sounds
    The Angel Theory from http://www.theangeltheory.ca Ambient/alternative
    WZEN from http://www.wzen.org Zen Radio!
  • edited June 2005
    2) if we lose duality and attain "enlightenment" will there still be wrong notes? ??

Yes and no.

:bigclap:
  • edited June 2005
    Tool has been my favorite for quite some time. However, I can't listen to them in the gym because the lyrics are too meaningful and they distract me from my workout.
    I think we can officially say that Tool had the most votes on this thread.
    Favorite Tool Song: "Stinkfist" The commentary on how our society is desensitized to everything and how there is no appreciation for subtlety is lovely. "Aenima" is a great commentary on everything wrong with America (LA specifically). "H" draws a great analogy between a snake and addiction. Damn! I can't pick one favorite.
    Tool: Official Rock Band of NewBuddhist.Com
  • emmakemmak Veteran
    edited June 2005
    Tool: who would have guessed? How seemingly innapropriate...
    edited June 2005
    I like Die Eier Von Satan from Aenema. So brutal. So driving. So tasty!

Und keine eier!!
    edited June 2005
    I don't see how a cookie recipe is brutal.... but to each his own :p
    edited June 2005
    have you tried MAKING those cookies? :)
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited June 2005
    King Diamond
    Mercyful Fate
    Cradle of Filth
    Nightwish
    Slayer
    Rammstein
    Therion
    Dimmu Borgir
    ICP
    Primus
    Sepultura
    N.a.t.a.s
    Kylie Minogue
    Smile D.K.
    edited June 2005
    Okay jason, did you throw Kylie in there as a joke? :lol:
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited June 2005
    No. I have her 2002 album Fever. You get older your tastes change a bit.....you know Slayer, Kylie.....it's the middle path right? Luckily nobody but you knows me so I won't get too harassed. Hahaha. I have a soft side too. A tiny little one that likes to dance while I'm carving little babies up for dinner.
  • edited June 2005
    Well, we're a rock (with just about everything else) bunch, aren't we?

Ok, so I'll cast my vote. I'm a theater major, so musicals it is, but I love rock musicals more than anything. Rent, Tick, Tick...Boom!, Jesus Christ Superstar (I know, wrong religion, but good music)....

Lately I'm into Meat Loaf and Billy Joel and out of the radio and popular culture. (All the sex in the entertainment industry disgusts me...but that's another topic.)

And if Jim Steinman wrote it, I'd probably love that too...

Jules
  • SabineSabine Veteran
    edited June 2005
    Oh, man, ICP scares the living heck out of me. :bawling:
    Anyway, let's see...
    Tool ;)
    A Perfect Circle
    System of a Down
    No Doubt
    Gwen Stefani
    Nirvana
    Gorillaz
    N.E.R.D.
    My Chemical Romance
    Yeah Yeah Yeahs
    The Company--you probably haven't heard of them, because they're my classmates :D But one day, they'll be famous. Awesome, that they are.
    AFI
    Prodigy
    Tomoyasu Hotei (Kill Bill)
    Anything from Cirque du Soleil
    Missy Elliott
    Tweet
    Yoko Kanno (Japanese pop)
    Ila Arun (Indian pop)
    Er...that's about it, I'll edit if I think of any more. :D
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited July 2005
    Hmm... music?

The music my band writes.
    Pink Floyd (been listening to a lot of Animals lately)
    Led Zeppelin
    Peter Murphy (love this guy - his latest album performed with Turkish musicians - good stuff)
    Yes
    Tannahill Weavers
    Bothy Band
    Planxty
    Kanda Bongo Man
    Johnny Clegg & Savuka
    Juluka
    The Police
    Beatles
    Wings
    Paul McCartney (earlier the better)
    Classical (all of Beethovan)
    Strauss
    Jethro Tull
    Cocteau Twins
    David Bowie
    Dick Gaughan
    Fleetwood Mac
    Greenday
    Nirvana
    Peter Gabriel
    Sly & The Family Stone
    Stevie Wonder
    some Sting
    XTC

I think I should quit now...

Michael
    edited July 2005
    Dangerous European bias in your list, Michael! :bigclap:
    edited July 2005
    You mean the IRA type material?

Michael
    edited July 2005
    I don't really class, Planxty and co. as 'rebel', compared with people like Wolf Tones - whom I saw at the Ballroom (and had to keep my mouth shut so as not to betray my English accent!)No, I was thinking that fondness for evil Europeans could be construed as less-than-patriotic! LOL
    edited July 2005
    True. When Christy started Moving Hearts - that was a little more IRAish.

Whaddya mean "less than patriotic"!?!?!! How much more American can ya get than Led Zeppelin!?!?!?! Huh!?!?!?!

Oh wait... my bad.

How about Brittny Spears? She's American. She's great! I love all her songs. Like that ummm one she sang? And then the other one? And the last one thingy she sang?

Michael
    edited July 2005
    I'm just hoping Cradle of Filth isn't your softer side :)

Michael
  • edited July 2005
    buddhafoot wrote:
    Hmm... music?

The music my band writes.
    Pink Floyd (been listening to a lot of Animals lately)
    Led Zeppelin
    Peter Murphy (love this guy - his latest album performed with Turkish musicians - good stuff)
    Yes
    Tannahill Weavers
    Bothy Band
    Planxty
    Kanda Bongo Man
    Johnny Clegg & Savuka
    Juluka
    The Police
    Beatles
    Wings
    Paul McCartney (earlier the better)
    Classical (all of Beethovan)
    Strauss
    Jethro Tull
    Cocteau Twins
    David Bowie
    Dick Gaughan
    Fleetwood Mac
    Greenday
    Nirvana
    Peter Gabriel
    Sly & The Family Stone
    Stevie Wonder
    some Sting
    XTC

I think I should quit now...

Michael

You missed the band that gave birth to most of these bands - the Who!
  • SabineSabine Veteran
    edited July 2005
    buddhafoot wrote:

How about Brittny Spears? She's American. She's great! I love all her songs. Like that ummm one she sang? And then the other one? And the last one thingy she sang?

Michael
    Oh, my. She's a bit...promiscuous for my tastes sometimes. >.> But I did get her first CD. Who can blame me? I was only 11 ^_^;;
    edited July 2005
    I just can't get over it. The bunny in your avatar is like the cutest little animal I've ever seen, Sabine :wtf:
  • SabineSabine Veteran
    edited July 2005
    Thanks. XD I'm actually not a cutesy person irl, more tomboyish, but I was all like, "OMG, BUN-BUN!" when I saw this pic. :lol: Guess that's my girly side talking.
    edited July 2005
    yeah well it's SO cute and furry that it must have made MY girly side come out too, because all I can do when I see it is think "BUNBUN AWWWWW" :wtf:
    edited July 2005
    Britney Spears is an anagram of Presbyterians!
  • SabineSabine Veteran
    edited July 2005
    Lmao :vimp:
    And Simon--that is HIGHLY alarming! :hair:
  • emmakemmak Veteran
    edited July 2005
    My step dad breeds cutie little bunnie wabbits and then gobbles them up for dinner. :bawling:
  • SabineSabine Veteran
    edited July 2005
    emmak wrote:
    My step dad breeds cutie little bunnie wabbits and then gobbles them up for dinner. :bawling:
    :bawling: