Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Attention all science nerds!

personperson Don't believe everything you thinkThe liminal space Veteran
edited October 2011 in General Banter
Starting this Wednesday at 9 eastern time on Nova is a four part series about current science regarding the universe.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/physics/fabric-of-cosmos.html#fabric-space

Comments

• Dang! And I'm without a TV! I should get a small TV just so I can watch the occasional good science program and documentary...
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    hulu has NOVA programs, not sure how soon the new ones will be available though.
  • MindGateMindGate United States Veteran
    I don't have NOVA. :(
  • You don't get Public Television, MG?
  • Yeah NOVA's not a station, it's part of PBS.
  • You can watch all PBS programming, including Nova on their web site:

www.pbs.org

• That clears that up, thanks mountains. I was nearly going to move to the US trust so I could have PBS, can you imagine the horror? :lol:

Niced find though mindgate, will surely be looking into that one :)
  • MindGateMindGate United States Veteran
    edited November 2011
    Yeah NOVA's not a station, it's part of PBS.
    lol Oh, okay, gotcha. I understand now. :) I have PBS.
  • edited November 2011
    Thanks for this alert, person. Maybe be can discuss it after everyone's seen it.
  • Man, my bad person. For some reason I thought mindgate found the link o.O Strange, maybe I should take a trip to the optician :wow:
    If you missed it or don't get PBS you can watch it at the link, theres a button on the right that opens the video.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/physics/fabric-of-cosmos.html#fabric-space
    This one really blew my mind. It does a really good job of explaining how space and time are intertwined.
  • I forgot about this series. Thanks for keeping this up, person.
  • Is it being hosted by Neil deGrasse Tyson? He was hosting nova science now for a wile. I love him! He is like the rock-star of astrophysics!
  • @Person, thanks, your link didn't work for me, but I found it on youtube:

The Fabric of the Cosmos in full:

Very good.

"Form is Emptiness and Emptiness is form!"

Do you think this is applicable with regards the program?
    Is it being hosted by Neil deGrasse Tyson? He was hosting nova science now for a wile. I love him! He is like the rock-star of astrophysics!
    This one is by Brian Greene, he's written a couple books and hosted a different NOVA series about quantum mechanics and string theory.

@Tosh, at the link there's a button that opens up a media player to watch the show. Its a 4 part series the You Tube vid is for the first one. Try the link again and look for the 'Watch The Program' button on the right side.
  • I watched the first one, it told me a lot of what I already knew but some new things about Einstein's life etc. However, the intro was SOOOO annoying, why do American shows have so much advertising, it is enough to drive anybody insane. I will give this other link a look-ee-loo though, looks interesting. I assume it will be about how say for example if you stand on the moon time will be different to if you were stood on earth, just a whole lot more in depth :p Thanks for post though :)
    Episode 3:Quantum Leap

This episode is mostly a rehash of known quantum theories, nothing really new. But its done really well and does a good job of explaining probability and the double slit experiment as well as quantum entanglement. There's also some fun stuff about applications such as teleportation and quantum computing.
    Episode 4:Universe or Multiverse?

Great episode. Does an extremely clear and thorough job of laying out the theories which suggest a multiverse. Discusses inflation, dark energy and string theory as they all suggest the possibility of a multiverse.

Not available to watch online until tomorrow though.
  • This episode sounds very familiar, by your description. Is this a new series? It sounds like a re-run, or maybe another PBS science program had a very similar series a few years ago.
    The host Brian Greene did do another series a few years back too. This series is a new one though.
  • Thanks for posting these, person. Keep a lookout for us, would you, for more such programs. :thumbsup:
  • Where's person--isn't it time for another episode in the science series? :) Or is the series over?
    Hi, yeah sorry, it was just a 4 part series. :(
  • I have now gone through most of the series and eps lol. Not much I did not already know (due to utube in the1st place), but still learnt a few things so thanks ;)
  • Here's a youtube to the last one; the Nova link doesn't work for me (maybe 'cos I'm in the UK)?

Multiverse or Universe:

@Person, thanks for bringing these to our attention! They're very good.
  • Does not work in Thailand either :(
  • B5CB5C Veteran
    A great series, but I am still not sure about M-Theory because it's untestable yet.
  • edited December 2011
    I think it's time to start pulling together the NDE research Leon's been posting, and the quantum theories to see where they may fit together. I'd like to see a show on that. ;)