Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

can I tell you about my event?

AMHAMH
edited December 2011 in General Banter
Hi all, As many of you know i run after school programming under a grant for schools who are over 80% free and reduced lunch. There is some diversity however mostly white and hispanic/spanish speaking. So last year we had an issue with spanish and english speakers, in the discussions I realized that many of our staff do not know other cultures very well. So ta da international night.

It was 5 cultures and really great. So much food. My one staff is married to a vietnamese man and he cooked, great food. And he brought a digital photo frame of his trip to Vietnam. Then we had lots of mexican food and games and displays. I had a danish board, did you know the danes invented legos? We had a german board and a native american board as well all with food and objects and information. Basically the famlies came, did some crafts and ate. A good event to just ge to know each other.

This week we went to cultural sensitivity training and i kept on thinking how this night worked well with that focus, a LOT about not making assumptions (like our only black student is from Germany). I think that is an area I am good at.

So all the nervousness and planning and working for a very great night.

Comments

• Awesome sounds like an event I would like to see.
  • The Vietnamese element sounds really cool. And representing the black kid with Germany was genius! Make sure this gets factored into your annual performance evaluation, if you have one. :clap: Well done!

Can Jeffrey and I come next year? :)
  • Thanks, I am always looking to build up. I know that another school under our grant umbrella does an international night that gets a lot more press and that is my goal. They are the major school for refugees in denver and so there are so many languages and cultures. We now have a staff who wears a head scarf, the only thing that threw me is she is american with no accent. I think it took the parents a minute to accept her, but she is so great with the kids. I saw the first student with a head scarf today at my one school, and there is a growing asian population in our largely hispanic neighborhoods.

So my goal and the goal of the people I work with is to have a program known on a national level.

You are always welcome, anyone coming to denver better tell me.
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    That sounds wonderful! Thank you so much for sharing!
  • My friend, a Japanese woman (pregnant to boot), recently married her lover, a Korean man. My daughter, a fine Irish lass was invited to sing at the ceremony. She sang that fine American standard, "Somewhere Over The Rainbow," by the great Jewish composer Howard Arlen.
    God bless America

• that fine American standard, "Somewhere Over The Rainbow," by the great Jewish composer Howard Arlen.
    The producers wanted to leave that song out. Someone in charge thought it was too soupy, too sentimental. It made the film, it would be hard to imagine the film without it. And Judy Garland's voice was the perfect vehicle for it.

• DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited December 2011
    I'm a huge fan of the film. Great music throughout. OK, back to topic. :D
  • Oh wandering is fine, I have my dream halloween costume, a punk dorothy complete with shiny red doc martens and black crinolines instead of white, sigh. I found the boots a fe months ago but did not have the funds even at ebay price.

Yep, love th mixed up messed up soup we are all in!