Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Only Living In The Moment – And Why It Can Be Dangerous.

DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
edited December 2011 in Philosophy

(I agree with the author, but at the same time, I am not sure if he or she is understanding mindfulness when it comes to Buddhism terms.)

You don’t have to look very far in the psychology world to find advice about “living in the moment.”

And the truth is there is a lot of scientific evidence showing the physical and mental benefits of mindfulness and why we should aim to be more present in our everyday lives.

The purpose of this article isn’t to diminish the importance of mindfulness or “living in the moment,” but to remind you that it’s just one mode of awareness. At times, it is just as important that we “step outside of the moment,” and interpret our world from a broader viewpoint.

The benefits of reflecting on the past.

One benefit we don’t get from only living in the moment is reflecting on our past and learning from our mistakes.

If we never look backward at the scope of our life, the choices we’ve made, and where they have led us, then it’s incredibly difficult to identify what we’ve done right and what we’ve done wrong.

Research indicates that reflection is key to learning.

The benefits of planning for the future.

Living a happy, healthy, and successful life often requires adequate planning and foresight. It rarely happens by accident.

Therefore, looking forward into the future is often just as important as reflecting backwards on our past, or living in the moment.

If we never think about the direction we want to go in our life, it is very unlikely we will get there. This is why it is so important to make our values and goals clear to ourselves.

Try creating a rough timeline to better envision your goals.

http://www.theemotionmachine.com/only-living-in-the-moment-and-why-it-can-be-dagnerous

Comments

• andyrobynandyrobyn Veteran
    edited December 2011
    Hi Leon, I have experienced people using the living in the moment philosophy to justify some enjoyable behaviour " in the moment " which has longer term ramifications and negative influences due to the individual failing to acknowledge the real nature of and what they were really doing " in the moment ".

• Literalist interpretations of "living in the moment" etc., should be seen through as bad faith. If the person is really interested in finding out about Buddhism they would not be so literal. As if you can't reflect or plan in present moment awareness. The issue is about getting stuck in it, plan but don't cling to it, reflect but don't tarry too much. Engage with childhood wounds, but recognise that they are ghostlike memories. Find the great freedom as it is right here with you, be in now is what is meant - not become some sort of obsessive robot.

I would also add be wary of perfect Buddha's who do everything right and are always in the moment - all the time...and never upset anyone, or fart etc... for me the perfect Buddha is not perfect at all - just like the person reading this imperfect comment. But then again it might be funny to meet a perfected one, but I am not in the game as the thought of being reborn as a cockroach or a fox doesn't worry me at all, could also be interesting. :)
  • Literalist interpretations of "living in the moment" etc., should be seen through as bad faith. If the person is really interested in finding out about Buddhism they would not be so literal. As if you can't reflect or plan in present moment awareness. The issue is about getting stuck in it, plan but don't cling to it, reflect but don't tarry too much. Engage with childhood wounds, but recognise that they are ghostlike memories. Find the great freedom as it is right here with you, be in now is what is meant - not become some sort of obsessive robot.

I would also add be wary of perfect Buddha's who do everything right and are always in the moment - all the time...and never upset anyone, or fart etc... for me the perfect Buddha is not perfect at all - just like the person reading this imperfect comment. But then again it might be funny to meet a perfected one, but I am not in the game as the thought of being reborn as a cockroach or a fox doesn't worry me at all, could also be interesting. :)
  • Well said...there are a group of those interested in Dharma who arrived at that via exposure to a kind of hippy philosophy, or " beat zen " ...that group tends to emphasize " living in the present " and "letting go"...
    The reality is that " letting go " is a by product of a practice of focused attention, not a result of diffused attention, and as for living in the present there is no real choice. Even when remembering or anxiously planning we are in the present in actuality.
    The present has no more and no less reality than any apparent segment of conventional reality.
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran

I am not sure if he or she is understanding mindfulness when it comes to Buddhism terms.
    I can say definitely not. All of what the person talks about about being beneficial, reflection, planning, etc. All already happen "in the moment". They don't and can't happen in the past or future. It's simply not possible unless you are a time traveler. :)

• patbbpatbb Veteran
    edited December 2011
    his reasoning is logical, but logical doesn't mean true.

this is why thinking about meditation and it's benefits can and often do lead to absurd conclusion.

why can't you be present while planning the future?
    problem solved.

and about the past, people have this delusion about learning from the past.
    first of all there is no such thing as past.
    secondly, learning from the past sounds good in theory, but in reality people usually don't learn from the past. The vast majority of the time when they reflect on the past, they spend that time strengthening their negative emotional reactions (their anger/sadness/fears etc...
    (that guy really was an assh#$e, ahh if i see him again i'll really tell him whats on my mind etc...)

this person, as it so often seems to be the case, would have had all of his very common misconceptions resolved in 30 seconds if he would have took the time to ask someone who knows about the subject.
  • ahhh, yes mindfullness but also the middle way. I found in my study in college of philosophy that it is true that any idea taken to an extreme becomes absurd (I amsure there is an exception to that as well). So taking mindfullness without tehe balance of the middle way can be just that.

Planning for the future is much better in fact if we have the mindfullness that releases our attachments. My simple example is that I worked so hard to go for teaching, I got my degree and subbed and looked for jobs. It all felt like a 'push' (largely because I had to make lawyers and ex beleive I was planning). So I found my current job and it has opened new horizons. Every time I get attached to being an elementary school teacher instead of being where I am at then I get attached and no longer can plan with open eyes if that makes sense. I ignore what is in front of me that offers joy and opportunity in favor of a past and a future I can get attached to. Mindfullness in the moment however clears the way for me to follow my personal precept of letting life find you instead of pushing to find it (and none of this means I do less work, many things that find me require a lot of work on my part in following that opportunity).

I must agree with not learning from the past. We did a training at work that was excellent. It was about dealing with difficult people and I think it used a lot of mindfullness. So instead of saying that person was rude, I now will do X because it worked in the past or avoid Y because that was a disaster, instead I will stop and simply notice that person was rude, take a moment to feel my feelings and identify my needs and then go to deal with the situation. You are not avoiding the situation however with a moment of mindfullness you are less reactive and more effective.
  • SileSile Veteran
    edited December 2011
    IMHO, "Live for the moment" doesn't mean "party recklessly in the moment" any more than "live for the long-term" means "party recklessly in the long-term."

It just means be attentive to the moment--don't obsess about past moments or future moments to the exclusion of the current moment.

We have no problem obsessing about past moments or future moments--it seems to be our natural tendency. So the reminder is to pay attention to the current moment as well.

If we paid good attention to all "current" moments, then in the end we'd have paid good attention to past, present, and future moments. Or in other words, paying attention to each current moment IS a good long-term plan.
  • But we can only pay attention in the present, by definition. It is not an end in itself.
  • the author of that article doesnt understand mindfulness very well.
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    You couldn't even think ahead to make some dinner or use the toilet if you took 'in the moment' totally literal.
  • SileSile Veteran
    edited December 2011
    Being in the moment has never meant being unconscious of other moments.

It means don't run your shopping cart into someone while worrying what temp to set the stove at later!
  • The idea is not to neglect the benefits of living 'in the moment'. What other ideal place is there where we can decide on turning over a new leaf or giving up wrong views?
  • I like to live dangerously, and I was, a moment ago... now I'm safe. :buck:
  • Mindfulness isn't all about "be here now". The main point is to keep your mind from wandering, daydreaming about the future (not the same as planning for the future), reminiscing about the past (not the same as studying the past to learn from experience), and allowing the mind to run wild and undisciplined, to the point that you are inattentive to the task you're supposed to be focussed on. I especially practice mindfulness and "being in the moment" when driving, for example. It's especially important then.
  • I like to live dangerously, and I was, a moment ago... now I'm safe. :buck:

love it!
  • Mindfulness is the aware, balanced acceptance of the present experience.
    It isn't more complicated that that.
    It is opening to or receiving the present moment, pleasant or unpleasant, just as it is, without either clinging to it or rejecting it.
    (By Sylvia Boorstein)
  • Mindfulness referred to by the author of Leon's selected article typifies the outsider's view of a Buddhist concept - although it isn't really clear this author is attempting to compare being "only in the moment" with a Buddhist outlook.

In fact - there can only be mindfulness in the present moment. The emphasis on being "present" in the present makes the distinction. Therefore if one is "present" then wiling away the day in remembrance or planning the future could well be mindfulness too.
  • If we paid attention to the moment we would see that past and future are just flavors that perfume the present. We know somehow that we are in the past due to this perfume.

But the past is always seen in the light of the present and the present is where the power is.

There is an emotionality to the past of course, but all of that feeling is arising in the emergent moment.

This house of cards - past present and future isn't so literal.. actually the past and future are both happening in the present. The 'now' isn't the present as the present is defined in terms of the other times and that whole schema is an illusion. The 'now' is what happens when the house of cards, the 3 times, collapse.

Or you could say the 3 times interbe like Thich Nhat Hanh says. In the present is (we see) the future and the past. You can't separate these three times, they muust interbe....
  • In my experience, when my actions are negative, I just pay attention to my thoughts in the present. I reflect, "my poor action has led to these negative thoughts arising; perhaps I should try my best to avoid these actions later."

Further, when I am meditating, my mind becomes more pliable, and I think it automatically processes / reflects on my actions. Although I am not consciously reflecting, my mind is organizing my thoughts and presenting them, but I try not to hold on to them - why should I, they've already been processed!

If you think about it, many creative thoughts arise from meditation. That's because your mind is clear to process and organize ("reflect") on your thoughts. You don't have to be thinking about the past to actually understand and process it.
  • misecmisc1misecmisc1 I am a Hindu India Veteran
    edited December 2011
    Hi All,

read all the above posts. Sorry but my view seems to be different. What follows below is what i understand of mindfulness and my thinking(it can be totally wrong, so please feel free to avoid reading the below thing)-
    Mindfulness is what is here and now, nothing of past and nothing of future. To live in this world by being totally mindful seems too difficult as we have to plan our future activities and sometimes reflect on our past activities. But when we are doing both activities like reflecting on past, we are thinking about the past, so we are not in the present moment(physically present, but mindfully awareness is absent in present moment) - same thing when we are planning for future, we are thinking about future, so not aware of present moment. But in order to achieve materialistic goals in this material world to fulfill our desires, we have to plan for future and try not to repeat our mistakes by reflecting on past. But all this material world which we see through our physical eyes is a delusion and in reality, there is just matter and consciousness. If our ultimate goal is self-realization, everything else can fall in place automatically.

As already said above, the above is my view and it can be totally wrong, so please feel free to neglect my this post.
  • All things happen in the present moment including our thoughts. Mindfulness includes thoughts about the future and past.
  • misecmisc1misecmisc1 I am a Hindu India Veteran
    in addition to what i said above, just now when i was thinking about it - i realized that if we are thinking about the past and we are aware about it, then it is mindfulness - but it usually happens at the start when we started thinking about past, but few seconds later we get carried away in the past and at that stage we are just thinking about the past and not aware of the present moment, so not mindful after few seconds. Similar thing happens when we start thinking about future things. Mindfulness means to be aware of the present moment.

Again, i can be totally wrong here, so please feel free to neglect my this post again.
  • I'm pretty sure that mindfulness does not mean being stupid. Of course we have to plan for the future in many respects. I think it's more about not ruminating on the past or worrying about the future.

Now, where did I read that truth is always positive, never negative, and if someone draws a negative conclusion from truth, then it's a wrong understanding of what's been taught.