Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

How do you make Buddhist monk robes ?

PremaSagarPremaSagar Veteran
edited December 2011 in Buddhism Basics
How do you ?

Comments

• Which kind? Tibetan? Ch'an? Theravadan? Zen?

All with a sewing machine. Depends on what tradition you're interested in. And within some of those traditions, there are different types of robes, denoting sect, status, etc.
  • You earn them.
  • You earn them.
    Good one! :)

• @Hubris
    Excellent answer !
    @ compassionate_warrior
    Tibetan robes
  • The thing is, there are variations in the robes, depending on the sect: Gelug, Sakya, Nyingma, Kagyu. There are also variations within the last three for married monks or celibate monks. There may also be differences based on rank.
  • Wrap a sheet around yourself.
  • edited December 2011
    OK, that kind of inspired me. Here's one variation. Get one maroon-colored sheet. Sew the ends together to make a tube. Step into it, and fold the sheet on one side to make pleats. Fasten that with a belt or something around your waist. Get a yellow t-shirt. With more maroon material, make a vest long enough to cover the belt of your "skirt". The vest goes over the T-shirt. One more maroon sheet makes the shawl-type covering. You're good to go, at least for Halloween.
  • PremaSagarPremaSagar Veteran
    edited December 2011
    Good replies !
    Hoping to make a variation of monks robes to meditate peacefully and comfortably.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Unnecessary. If you are not ordained, you have no right to wear such robes. just buy a comfortable tracksuit, or purchase tai chi clothing.
    RevVic
  • @fe
    Unnecessary. If you are not ordained, you have no right to wear such robes. just buy a comfortable tracksuit, or purchase tai chi clothing.
    Agreed I'll just get some comfortable clothing
  • You can create or buy some general robes without getting one that imitates a Buddhist monk. Robes really are very comfortable to wear when meditating or just taking walks. I'd suggest looking up pictures of a simple Japanese yukata style and going from there.

It was the colors that distinguished the Buddhist robes in the past, not that only monks wore robes.
  • You can go to a zendo and wear a lay robe - you've earned it by showing up - they keep them in the "unordained" cloakroom - why shouldn't you have one at home if you want it - it's not like your emptiness will be revoked for wearing a robe!

http://www.kwanumzen.org/wp-content/uploads/dharma-teacher-robe.pdf

http://stress.lovetoknow.com/Zen_Meditation_Robes
  • You can go to a zendo and wear a lay robe - you've earned it by showing up - they keep them in the "unordained" cloakroom - why shouldn't you have one at home if you want it - it's not like your emptiness will be revoked for wearing a robe!

http://www.kwanumzen.org/wp-content/uploads/dharma-teacher-robe.pdf

http://stress.lovetoknow.com/Zen_Meditation_Robes

Hey thanks for the answer and thank all the other users who responded !
    Good idea if I go to a Zendo I'll get one
  • edited December 2011
    Steal one. From the monks. I heard that is worth like +10 karma.
  • Steal one. From the monks. I heard that is worth like +10 karma.

Haha no just looking for something comfy to wear during meditation
  • Unnecessary. If you are not ordained, you have no right to wear such robes. just buy a comfortable tracksuit, or purchase tai chi clothing.
    Another concept: If you were a Christian, would you be looking for a cassock or a habit? My guess is no, also it would look rather ridiculous, if not sacrilegious. A shawl or a blanket would double just as well.

There are plenty of vendors on eBay who sell meditation clothing,or, a nice fleece blanket (A Snuggie?)would also do just as well.

Laypersons robes just for showing up? To me a robe would imply more of a commitment than that, else the delineation would not be there to begin with.

I agree with @Federica on this one, hence my original comment. No snark was meant, which is why it was short and to the point.
  • BonsaiDougBonsaiDoug Simply, on the path. Veteran
    edited December 2011
    Other than comfortable clothing, the only other concession I've made to my meditation sittings has been a large shawl.

I'm up very early in the morning for my first sitting, and the house is still rather cool in the winter. I got this light-weight one from Snow Lion for 30-bucks:

56-bucks will get you a heavy-weight shawl:

• Sweat pants, yoga pants, pj pants - there are a lot of options for comfort. I don't think you need to go to extremes to get something specific. When I still attended church, I'd always argue with my mother about clothes - she'd insist I had to dress up, and I'd insist God didn't mind what I wore. I think the same applies here: it's your practice that matters, not your wardrobe.
  • Nothing less binding that wearing nothing.
  • Nothing less binding that wearing nothing.
    Said the Emperor in his new clothes.:)

• zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    edited December 2011
    lol @Hubris Snuggie! Seriously though, I almost suggested this. My 'meditation robe' is a reverse snuggie... so, it's a regular robe made out of fleece (a snuggie is really a backwards robe). Same one I wear around the house for comfort. It's purpose is to keep me from getting too cold when sitting and it does that very well.
    Talis
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    edited December 2011
    In the Korean zen tradition, as with most zen traditions, it is quite common for laypeople to wear robes also. Of course they are not exactly the same as monks attire, but they are very comfortable. They can be purchased or you can make them yourself with the patterns. The "meditation pants" and "bowing robe" are the most common attire. http://www.kwanumzen.org/members/resources-for-members/dharma-clothing/

If you are going to purchase one, it gets a bit expensive as they are usually custom made for your own personal sizes, etc. These are fairly common prices for zen robes. http://www.zabuzabu.net/
    Talis