Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Rebirth/reincarnation

edited November 2011 in Buddhism Basics
It is my view that "birth" in Buddhism has nothing whatsoever to do with physical birth, but it refers to the birth of the false "I", which repeatedly occurs in non-Buddhas. Likewise "Ageing and death" refers to the natural ending of happiness that is associated with attachments. These things happen moment by moment.

I've made a video which outlines my disagreement with the popular view of rebirth, and I welcome responses from the people here. I do realize that not all Buddhists believe in the literal interpretation, and that many Buddhists have no opinion on the matter at all.

Nonsense in Buddhism II

Comments

• I wonder what is your intent? Sometimes, those who declare themselves as bearers of the alpha truth do so in a way that does little except cut the seedlings of the growth of others, as well as deepen their own entrenchment. This seems, at best, the way your video comes across to me. It reminds me of the story of Elisha Ben Abuya, who after observing the Torah's objective statements as false, decided they had no value.

Is this an attempt to further the concious development of other beings? Are you being a curmudgeon?

I am one of those who holds little value in either side of the debate... as I see it as a distraction for some, and motivation to transcend suffering for others. The truth is only expounded by clearly viewed experience... the rest is myth and opinion.

• while this is not my opinion on reincarnation, i do see its value.
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    So traditional Buddhist teaching is nonsense? Hmm, interesting!...
  • MindGateMindGate United States Veteran
    some_text
  • edited November 2011
    MindGate, you're our new SherabDorje!
    Robert Thurman didn't do a good job of presenting his point. He seemed like he was in a hurry, and someone caught him on the run.

"rebirth" isn't the birth of the "false I". Rebirth is the subtle consciousness carrying the seeds of past karmic actions into a new body. The "false I" is something that the growing child learns, and is taught and reinforced by the growing baby's and infant's parents.

Mind is, in fact, independent of the brain. Scientists have discovered that mind is non-local, it's not localized to the brain. It's part of the fabric of the universe.

(Does anyone think the speaker might be DD, who always used to get on Ajahn Brahm's case?)

• (Does anyone think the speaker might be DD, who always used to get on Ajahn Brahm's case?)

The speaker is not DD !

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    I can confirm that.
  • Hi. I just joined this site and haven't had a chance to say hello yet, and I came across this post.

Wanderer I don't get your motivation in being here. If you are antagonistic to Buddhism why waste your time here?

Obviously you are much too smart for me to associate with.

Is this typical of the kind of things going on at newbuddhist?
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Nah. But it's a discussion forum. While we watch and try to moderate when things get outrageously out of hand (which is rare) we don't censor or deliberately prevent people from posting their opinions.
  • Thanks Federica. I wasn't advocating any censorship. Wanderer can express himself. I'm just expressing that I don't like it. (a sure sign of attachment, I know. Let's leave that for another post.:)

Anyway, it's not the opinion that bugs me as much as the method of expression. And I don't dig taking pot shots at a senior monk like that. I don't see the need or the point.

Wanderer is not the first self-professed Buddhist who has scoffed at rebirth and he won't be the last. No biggie. I think Buddhists can have an intelligent and respectful discussion about it. I would just hope it can be done a bit more skillfully.
  • possibilitiespossibilities PNW, WA State Veteran
    By 2:08 I had a bad taste in my mouth - if you get my drift. Already it seemed petty and spiteful. Not a good attitude for a Buddhist.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited November 2011
    In this case, motivation seems completely irrelevant to me. The OP has a valid opinion about rebirth, and is seeking responses to the arguments presented in their video (assuming the two are indeed the same person). Address the arguments or not, it's your choice.
  • Yes, we will never actually know much online about who we are responding to - I guess it is our response which is the most relevant thing.
  • In this case, motivation seems completely irrelevant to me.
    Well, motivation, or intention, is usually regarded as fairly important regarding the precepts, isn't it?

Yours, yes. That of others? No. You just have to consider how you view phenomena and act upon them.
    In this case, motivation seems completely irrelevant to me.
    Well, motivation, or intention, is usually regarded as fairly important regarding the precepts, isn't it?

Since their motivations are unknown, and can't be known, they're irrelevant. As I said, the OP has a valid opinion about rebirth, and is seeking responses to the arguments presented in their video (assuming the two are indeed the same person). Address the arguments or not, it's your choice. All further off-topic posts will be deleted without warning.
  • My opinion?
    I think the closest the OP has been to anything beyond mere speculation about conception, childbirth, child-rearing, aging/illness, death, and the limits of human consciousness...
    is laughably playing with candles....
    and perhaps getting burned.
    Shrug.
    He'll see for himself. Everyone does eventually.
  • Since their motivations are unknown, and can't be known, they're irrelevant. As I said, the OP has a valid opinion about rebirth, and is seeking responses to the arguments presented in their video (assuming the two are indeed the same person). Address the arguments or not, it's your choice. All further off-topic posts will be deleted without warning.
    Irrelevant? He asked for feedback, why the censoring? Its one thing to speculate about intent, which I can understand the irrelevance. So, I asked him what his purpose is in the video. He doesn't bring any new information that hasn't been hashed dozens of times in the few years I've been on the board.

So, it comes down to the intent of his video. From there, I could give more succinct feedback as to whether or not I feel the video does what he hopes it will do. He wanted feedback, yes?

The questions still stand, Wandering, if you have interest in answering.
    edited November 2011
    Irrelevant? He asked for feedback, why the censoring? Its one thing to speculate about intent, which I can understand the irrelevance. So, I asked him what his purpose is in the video.
    Yes, feedback on the video, not endless questions about his motivation for posting here or creating the video in the first place.
    He doesn't bring any new information that hasn't been hashed dozens of times in the few years I've been on the board.
    OK, but he's new to the board, so I don't see what that has to do with this particular thread.
  • Wanderer I think its exactly as you say. I *would* remain openminded. PS I didn't watch the video :)
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited November 2011
    Yes, feedback on the video, not endless questions about his motivation for posting here or creating the video in the first place.
    Ah. I wonder why you discount this as irrelevant. I would love to give feedback on the video, but I don't quite understand its purpose. Not "What is your motivation for posting this on a buddhist site"... rather "What is the video supposed to do?" Perhaps an even better question would be "what kind of feedback are you looking for?"

I've found its very helpful (at least for me) to understand the purpose of art before assuming it does or doesn't do something effectively.

If he's only interested in the way his points stand within the minds of others, he could search the many posts and read how people feel. That's why I feel it matters there isn't really any new information... his view is a common enough one, so it seems appropriate to give feedback on his art.

Or not, if he doesn't want it. :)
  • zenffzenff Veteran
    edited November 2011
    My understanding of the Buddhist theory is that it says that consciousness can not exist independently – as Ajahn Brahm appears to suggest.
    That’s why the example of the candle (the Buddhist one) is used.
    The flame of consciousness continues when one candle lights the other. And that’s what – supposedly – happens when a body dies. The flame is transferred to another candle.
    This new candle does not have to possess a physical body as we understand it. To complicate things there are Dewa’s and Brahma Gods; they do not live in the physical realm but they can fuel the flame of consciousness. (All of this again is my understanding of what is taught; not my opinion of what is the case)
    The Buddhist point is that there is no independent and unchanging entity (a self) which is moving from one candle to another.

I think it is unlikely that the Buddha really taught something radically different from what his devout followers have been saying about that through the ages.
    If one wants to argue for such a major shift in the interpretation of his teachings, they should give a start of some historic evidence for it (imho).

Theory of consciousness is very interesting stuff and it’s not finished business yet.
    So the example of extinguished candle in the video is a bit of a simplification.

-I think Ajahn Brahm could be wrong – within the framework of his tradition – when he says the mind can exits independently from any body.
    - Ajahn Brahm is a trained scientist. I find it disappointing when he talks far too lightly about “evidence” and “proof.”
    -Wanderer makes a pretty wild claim that almost the entire Buddhist tradition is actually wrong about what the Buddha taught.
    -Theory of consciousness is unfinished business; but would be looking mostly at neural correlates of consciousness. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consciousness

My personal opinion is that consciousness is a function of the brain and it will end when the brain stops functioning.
    That’s most likely not what the Buddha taught. And that’s fine.
    I think I can be a Buddhist in the twenty-first century. I can be a Buddhist without adopting the magical image of the world people had in the time of the Buddha.

Religions need to adapt. Our understanding of the world changes and we need to examine our religions in the light of this changed understanding.

• edited November 2011
    Thanks Wanderer, I enjoyed the video.

:)
  • Thanks for your responses. My only intention with this video is to point people in the direction of the reality of what happens at death. That was the whole point of extinguishing the candleflame.

I believe that the Buddha's teachings on rebirth have been commonly interpreted by Buddhist teachers, such as Brahm and the Dalai Lama, to mean the exact opposite of what the Buddha intended.

I think the Zen Master Dogen had the right idea when he said "Just as firewood does not revert to firewood once it burns to ash, so a person does not return to life after death."

That is the exact message I was attempting to convey in my video. There is only the continuity of cause and effect. Nothing else.
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    Kevin Soloway doesnt believe Buddha taught literal rebirth. However its fairly clear he did by way it is taught in various traditions passed on. Many disciples attained Samadhi and saw what Buddha did its better to go to a qualified teacher who teaches correctly in accordence with traditional Buddhist criteria then those who take it as an intellectual persuit only.
  • @compassionate_warrior
    You said:"Mind is, in fact, independent of the brain. Scientists have discovered that mind is non-local, it's not localized to the brain. It's part of the fabric of the universe. "

Can you explain this to me or point to where I can learn more about this?
  • So if I were to say that I do not believe in life after death because I have interpreted the religious texts correctly and my understanding is in line with science, would this be enough concrete evidence that life cannot happen after death? Not even in a slightest chance? How would anyone know?
  • driedleafdriedleaf Veteran
    edited January 2012

• @compassionate_warrior
    You said:"Mind is, in fact, independent of the brain. Scientists have discovered that mind is non-local, it's not localized to the brain. It's part of the fabric of the universe. "

Can you explain this to me or point to where I can learn more about this?
    It's pretty much an empty statement. What in the universe isn't part of the fabric of the universe?

As far as scientists discovering that the mind is non-local, I don't think so. The mind is certainly not independent of it's locality but that is merely common sense and hardly a scientific discovery.
  • I think the Zen Master Dogen had the right idea when he said "Just as firewood does not revert to firewood once it burns to ash, so a person does not return to life after death."
    And what's wrong with ashes anyway. :)
  • @wanderer . I watched about as much as I could stand of the video of Ajahn Brahm at another thread it was posted on. I felt that he did not do a good job of presenting the case for rebirth.
    Frankly, I did not find your argument and candle demonstration very convincing as a refutation either. Not enough to form a view of the reality of what happens at death, by far.
    I don't think that birth in Buddhism needs any further explanation where it clearly points to conventional birth of the body/mind and the self that it conditions.
    Rebirth definitely needs a closer look because of the inconsistency of suggesting that a self arising in dependence on mind/body can be born repeatedly.
    I think that if one can get past that hurdle, then discussing rebirth is reasonable.
    Personally, I can't make a strong argument either way.

• "Rebirth definitely needs a closer look because of the inconsistency of suggesting that a self arising in dependence on mind/body can be born repeatedly."

@robot, buddha specifically says that the self is not any of the skandas. Including form, sensation, perception, substance of mind - conditioning, consciousness.

None of those things is a self.
  • "Rebirth definitely needs a closer look because of the inconsistency of suggesting that a self arising in dependence on mind/body can be born repeatedly."

@robot, buddha specifically says that the self is not any of the skandas. Including form, sensation, perception, substance of mind - conditioning, consciousness.

None of those things is a self.
    So that is to say that the skandas are empty of self or essence. Likewise with an illusory sense of self that arises dependent on them. I thought that was what I was saying.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited January 2012
    Oh, @robot, I thought you meant a real self rather than an illusory one.
  • @Jeffery now that you mentioned it perhaps I did mean that without realizing it. It just occurred to me that the problem I have been having with rebirth is in still clinging to a notion of essential self. In claiming that rebirth is not possible because of a lack of inherent self, i may have been adding to my own confusion. Still trying to separate self from the 12 links. My tenacious belief in my self as real is definitely hampering my understanding of dependent origination.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited January 2012
    "And what are the ideas fit for attention that he does not attend to? Whatever ideas such that, when he attends to them, the unarisen fermentation of sensuality does not arise in him, and the arisen fermentation of sensuality is abandoned; the unarisen fermentation of becoming does not arise in him, and arisen fermentation of becoming is abandoned; the unarisen fermentation of ignorance does not arise in him, and the arisen fermentation of ignorance is abandoned. These are the ideas fit for attention that he does not attend to. Through his attending to ideas unfit for attention and through his not attending to ideas fit for attention, both unarisen fermentations arise in him, and arisen fermentations increase.

"This is how he attends inappropriately: 'Was I in the past? Was I not in the past? What was I in the past? How was I in the past? Having been what, what was I in the past? Shall I be in the future? Shall I not be in the future? What shall I be in the future? How shall I be in the future? Having been what, what shall I be in the future?' Or else he is inwardly perplexed about the immediate present: 'Am I? Am I not? What am I? How am I? Where has this being come from? Where is it bound?'

"As he attends inappropriately in this way, one of six kinds of view arises in him: The view I have a self arises in him as true & established, or the view I have no self... or the view It is precisely by means of self that I perceive self... or the view It is precisely by means of self that I perceive not-self... or the view It is precisely by means of not-self that I perceive self arises in him as true & established, or else he has a view like this: This very self of mine — the knower that is sensitive here & there to the ripening of good & bad actions — is the self of mine that is constant, everlasting, eternal, not subject to change, and will stay just as it is for eternity. This is called a thicket of views, a wilderness of views, a contortion of views, a writhing of views, a fetter of views. Bound by a fetter of views, the uninstructed run-of-the-mill person is not freed from birth, aging, & death, from sorrow, lamentation, pain, distress, & despair. He is not freed, I tell you, from suffering & stress.
    http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/mn/mn.002.than.html
  • I think the Zen Master Dogen had the right idea when he said "Just as firewood does not revert to firewood once it burns to ash, so a person does not return to life after death."
    i would think that this was not Master Dogen trying to impress upon. If there is no life after death, then you can't be sharing your wholesome idea in this forum. :D
  • It is my view that "birth" in Buddhism has nothing whatsoever to do with physical birth, but it refers to the birth of the false "I", which repeatedly occurs in non-Buddhas. Likewise "Ageing and death" refers to the natural ending of happiness that is associated with attachments. These things happen moment by moment.

:thumbsup: