Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

CES - Samsung's Smart Window

DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
edited January 2012 in General Banter

Comments

• ArjquadArjquad Veteran
    edited January 2012
    I was waiting fir this to show up here. I find it extremely useful for the medical field, useless as an actual window, and if they made it into a collapseable computer or a tablet I would be the first in line to buy it. Also notice how she says everything is only visible from one side, so that means the blinds would only be on one side so people in the outside can still see in.
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    I was waiting fir this to show up here. I find it extremely useful for the medical field, useless as an actual window, and if they made it into a collapseable computer or a tablet I would be the first in line to buy it. Also notice how she says everything is only visible from one side, so that means the blinds would only be on one side so people in the outside can still see in.
    LOL! You should have posted it! Thanks for commenting!
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    yeah... pretty soon we're going to see millions of people standing at their windows making weird gestures, and staring into space, laughing, or whatever... we're all going to look like a whole bunch of whackos, and we'll never leave our homes again....impressive, yet somehow, depressingly scary at the same time.... :-/
  • Yeah, it's a nifty toy, but faces the problem that it's an idea in search of a niche. A combination window and computer screen? I think Samsung is looking to reuse technology it developed for the head's up display in the military airplane industry. But the pilot isn't being asked to reach out and touch the windshield to manipulate the display.

This has the disadvantages of not being adjustable to the user's physical reach and turns an inexpensive window into an expensive piece of computer hardware. We aleady have windows that darken themselves with a push of a button, but they remain a rich man's toy because a set of blinds is cheap and can be replaced cheaply if needed, unlike the special window glass.

• yeah... pretty soon we're going to see millions of people standing at their windows making weird gestures, and staring into space, laughing, or whatever... we're all going to look like a whole bunch of whackos, and we'll never leave our homes again....impressive, yet somehow, depressingly scary at the same time.... :-/
    We're at least half-way there already, even without the special window!

:D
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    I heard about the tablet model before this window version. Tablet model sounds INCREDIBLY useful. What student wouldn't want a tablet PC that they could just fit in a folder?

I heard about the tablet model before this window version. Tablet model sounds INCREDIBLY useful. What student wouldn't want a tablet PC that they could just fit in a folder?

Thanks for sharing! Interesting!
    yeah... pretty soon we're going to see millions of people standing at their windows making weird gestures, and staring into space, laughing, or whatever... we're all going to look like a whole bunch of whackos, and we'll never leave our homes again....impressive, yet somehow, depressingly scary at the same time.... :-/
    YUP!
    We're at least half-way there already, even without the special window!

:D
    Agreed!