Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Alcohol Versus Meditation

edited January 2012 in Buddhism Basics
Hi everyone,

First I'd like to introduce myself. I've just joined the forum so I am looking forward to learning a lot about buddhism.

My first question may seem odd but I have been curious.

(1) Can meditation be used to emulate the pleasurable effects of getting drunk or being tipsy? I drink and would like to cut down on my drinking but am seeking a replacement.

(2) Can getting drunk be "spirtually enlightening" under certain circumstances? I have anxiety and after having a couple of drinks "all was clear". I could percieve reality without disturbing thoughts, moods.

(3) Can meditation be used to emulate other "highs" you might get from consuming substances?

Comments

• Meditation can definitely emulate a marijuana high, and theoretically can approach psychedelic highs.

Now, I believe all things can be used positively, even spiritually. As far as alcohol, the potential benefit I see from it is a lowering of the filters we normally have, and getting in touch with one's true emotions and feelings about things, without the repression we normally feel and unwillingness to acknowledge and say what we really feel. Alcohol can, of course, make you go overboard in this regard, and ramble on about some random things that you're going to regret in the morning. Nonetheless, I see this as a potential benefit, but it should be integrated into sober-consciousness as well, to a proper degree.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited January 2012

(1) Can meditation be used to emulate the pleasurable effects of getting drunk or being tipsy?
    No.
    I drink and would like to cut down on my drinking but am seeking a replacement.
    why?
    Generally, if you cut something out it's because you're attached to it too strongly, and you need to go without it....
    (2) Can getting drunk be "spirtually enlightening" under certain circumstances?
    no.
    I have anxiety and after having a couple of drinks "all was clear". I could percieve reality without disturbing thoughts, moods.
    No.
    what you perceived was a numbing of your senses, and a dulling of your perception.
    Meditation will bring better clarity, peace of mind and a calm state.
    (3) Can meditation be used to emulate other "highs" you might get from consuming substances?
    No.
    Neither should it ever be pursued for such instances, because that's not the point.

• Welcome to New Buddhist!

1. Personally, I don't see meditation as a "replacement" for drinking. Perhaps if you're looking at it as part of a larger picture, as in - replacing the time spent drinking with meditating because you understand what it's about. However, simply as a crutch, I would say no.

2. Under "certain circumstances" - like what? Perhaps after a couple of drinks your anxiety lessens, but what happens when you sober up?

3. I don't have a lot of experience with mind-altering substances, so I can't really answer that.

Forgive me, as I'm not trying to come across as harsh, but it looks like you're trying to find a way to tie in your pleasure-seeking (drinking, substance highs) with religion to give yourself validation. If I may ask, what has brought you here?

(I have to work now but I'd like to come back and post more on this later.)
  • 1) no but there are different feelings in meditation - all sorts of things come up

2) the drinking only gets rid of the anxiety.. the beauty that comes out is you. It is not the alcohol

3) no see 1

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    And let's not forget the Precept.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Yes.... didn't want to mention that..... had a lot of discussions about those of late.... :D
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Actually, I have a feeling this thread could end up making one of the points in the other thread. Or not. ;)
  • Greetings,

But don't both meditation and drinking change one's perception? Why is it that drinking messes you up while meditation gives more clarity? Are different parts of the brain affected?
  • Yes differences in the brain. But more importantly differences in the mind. The goal of meditation is to *not* change your perception. EVERY activity you currently do is to get a different perception. Meditation is the only activity where you do not do anything to change your perception.. now I am talking shamata vipashyana, there are other meditations. So in meditation you come to terms with this not changing. All of us secretly hope that the goal of meditation is to feel good. But it is not true based on my own experience and a dharma talk given by acharya (senior teacher), Pema Chodron.
  • Personally i have cut my alcohol intake significantly.

The mind during and after taking alcohol is just so different.

Being compassionate to myself i've limited my intake.

But at times its alright to let go and enjoy yourself.

Whether taking alcohol or not all actions of body, speech and mind i dedicate to all sentient beings.

Just see what works for yourself. Then do the most obvious thing. I've had some great times with many people over some alcohol. Taking about life and gving bits of wisdom here and there.

There are no true absolutes. But that can be used to justify insane egoism. So be careful not to dig yourself a ditch.

• JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited January 2012
    (1) Can meditation be used to emulate the pleasurable effects of getting drunk or being tipsy? I drink and would like to cut down on my drinking but am seeking a replacement.

Meditation can lead to pleasurable feelings in both the mind and the body, some of them quite intense, in fact; but achieving those states usually requires a consistent mediation practice, and are difficult to achieve right away.
    (2) Can getting drunk be "spirtually enlightening" under certain circumstances? I have anxiety and after having a couple of drinks "all was clear". I could percieve reality without disturbing thoughts, moods.
    I personally don't think so. I suggest checking out Thanissaro Bhikkhu's essay, "Ecstasy Is Not the Goal," for one perspective.

• hi well! The pleasure on meditativeness is different from the pleasure of tipsy. The reality after your drinking is different from reality of meditativeness as well.
  • possibilitiespossibilities PNW, WA State Veteran
    I wonder whether you are mistaking Buddhist meditation for the type of bliss/relaxation meditation that has been talked about in the media - the kind where you visualize a beautiful sunny beach to overcome depressive thoughts for example. Buddhist meditation isn't like that.

You watch your breath, count breaths to stay focused on one thing, and when your mind wanders you bring it back to counting. The goal is mental clarity and concentration, which will allow for better comprehension, which in turn paves the way for less suffering and more compassion on your path.
  • I mention that alcohol is not achieving (or trying to) a change in your state. This does not mean that there is no change. You see what goes on in the mind. You observe how it is. Sometimes this seems like change flowing and sometimes it seems I am 'stuck'.

So what are the qualities of this sitting meditation? They are not states of mind like drugs. Because they can go into any state. Sort of like water can fit any container.

The five qualities I learned in Pema Chodron's dharma talk: being our friend through and through, seeing what is there, staying with difficulties (states, feelings), being there in the present,, I think of this as connected, and a sense of no big deal.
  • *alcohol should be meditation in the first three lines, but actually drinking alcohol can have these five qualities of meditation, which fill any container like water, but sadly alcohol makes you dizzy and drugged so that you cannot see the qualities.
  • ajnast4rajnast4r Veteran
    edited January 2012
    Hi everyone,

First I'd like to introduce myself. I've just joined the forum so I am looking forward to learning a lot about buddhism.

My first question may seem odd but I have been curious.

@Peace2012ca , I think what you mean is can meditation help remove the disturbing thoughts and moods that make life so full of suffering, more than can meditation cause a physically pleasurable high, right? The pleasure, imo, in intoxicants is that they create positive states of mind and suppress negative states of mind. In that case, yes... that's the whole PURPOSE of Buddhist practice.

Alcohol, drugs, etc... they aren't going to cause any sort of long term change in the mind. It's just temporary, and even then completely out of your control. The idea is to learn how to feel good, and not feel bad, without needing to be intoxicated. Intoxicants, in the long run, will retard the process of creating positive mental states and removing negative mental states.
  • What should one do then when confronted with the temptation to get drunk, to drink alcohol to get into that pleasurable/high mindstate? How does one deal with painful feelings? Feelings of hurt? Feelings of inadequacy? Feelings of hurt and shame?
  • Sometimes life seems boring just sitting there and breathing. Alcohol lets you "lose control" for a bit. That's what makes it appealing.
  • shanyinshanyin Novice Yogin Sault Ontario Veteran
    edited January 2012

(1) Can meditation be used to emulate the pleasurable effects of getting drunk or being tipsy?
    No.
    I drink and would like to cut down on my drinking but am seeking a replacement.
    why?
    Generally, if you cut something out it's because you're attached to it too strongly, and you need to go without it....
    (2) Can getting drunk be "spirtually enlightening" under certain circumstances?
    no.
    I have anxiety and after having a couple of drinks "all was clear". I could percieve reality without disturbing thoughts, moods.
    No.
    what you perceived was a numbing of your senses, and a dulling of your perception.
    Meditation will bring better clarity, peace of mind and a calm state.
    No.
    Neither should it ever be pursued for such instances, because that's not the point.

QFT.

Don't meditate to mess up yourself. Meditation vs Medication. Destruction vs. being totally here and now.
  • What should one do then when confronted with the temptation to get drunk, to drink alcohol to get into that pleasurable/high mindstate? How does one deal with painful feelings? Feelings of hurt? Feelings of inadequacy? Feelings of hurt and shame?
    Drinking will relieve the painful feelings but in the long term won't cure them and will lead addiction. So it's not a solution.
    To muster the energy you will need to deal with your feelings you should not have an alcohol addiction. Right?
    To deal with the temptation to drink you will need to commit to never drinking again. The urges will subside with time.
    The pleasurable feelings that you associate with drinking will lose their appeal.
  • shanyinshanyin Novice Yogin Sault Ontario Veteran
    If we're going to get into Buddhism (which I bassically don't practice at this piont in my life)

The Buddha once told a group of people that when you have a friendship and all you do is get drunk or intoxicated they are your enemy. (my own words)
  • It is like you have an itch and you take a drink. That is like scratching the itch. Now you do that over and over and now your skin is damaged. So you stop scratching and it heals a little bit. Then it gets itchy and you scratch it more.

You can stop scratching and eventually the scabs will heal and the itch will go away to peace.

Wrong views you have to destroy with insight in real sober meditation. Kleshas (feelings that are uncomfortable) are the energy flowing from the structure of the beliefs. They can just be endured and eventually since you don't resist them they settle down. But the kleshas will keep coming back until the seeds of wrong view are destroyed. Shining the light of mindfulness and insight in meditation on the ignorance.
  • edited January 2012
    http://www.beliefnet.com/Entertainment/2000/08/Ecstasy-Is-Not-The-Goal.aspx

Thanks for this :)

As for the initial question. I would suggest thinking about why you want to emulate the pleasurable feelings of being drunk.

As for the second. If by "spiritually enlightening" you mean bringing to light the possibility of a more positive path in life, then I would say yes - drugs can shatter alot of ignorance and in a sense, encourage people to try and understand the true sense of reality. However, as the link above explains, they also create more, subtle ignorance. If alcohol shows you a world without worry and anxiety and you wish to achieve this without use of alcohol, that is great - however you should not try to emulate the effects of alcohol, because this is not only delusional, it's impossible. You should use meditation to understand what causes your anxiety and worry and thus remove the root, bit by bit. If you try to emulate the effects of an intoxicant, you may remove your worry and anxiety, but come up wanting - which could easily cause you to resort to intoxicants in the future and undo any progress you've made.

As for the third question. I haven't been meditating very long, and I feel it would be foolish to compare the sensations I've experienced during zazen to drug use. I've habitually used ecstasy, acid, dmt, and primarily marijuana for years, and the quiet, empty calm I've experienced momentarily during meditation is unlike any of them. So my answer is no, and that is a positive thing.