Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Ask a NewBuddhist member a question! :)

Comments

• @Lady_Alison there were no firefighters. I just hung on the branch and got as low as I could then just let go of the branch. I dropped about 3 feet.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    But in essence by being monogamous, we're going against 'nature'.
    That's like saying birth control is against nature.
    Well, it is....
    Birth Control is, again, a man-made concept, created for convenience and as a necessity.... it allowed for sexual freedom and safeguarded against pregnancy.

(Mind you, simply because humans can get pregnant, it doesn't mean they always able to become so...)

Contraception is a choice.

As is Monogamy.

• Question? If monogamy was a choice and we could therefore love freely, then why is there the consequence of STDs?

Especially hpv, which 70% of sexually active people already have.

It seems like we are not built for monogamy andyet we are...
  • It was a normal weekend almost 6 years ago. I went to his house and all of his siblings were there and they were all playing with him. After a bit spending time with him and talking with his "mom" my family and I decide he was the right one and $300 dollars later he was all ours, fury tail and all.
    This was your love story...lol...how cute

• Actually, we're mammals.
    Mammals are not programmed to be monogamous. humans are conditioned to be monogamous.
    it's the 'fault' of religious morals, cultural custom and social ethics that it is considered wrong, particularly in the west, to be liberal with your sexual favours....
    But in essence by being monogamous, we're going against 'nature'.
    I agree with you, although I personally (independent of nature, society, whatever) would want a purely monogamous relationship. I don't know, having an open relationship would just make me uncomfortable, and I would probably break up with the person so they could be free do what they want.

@Telly03 Chocolate or vanilla (anything)?
  • What?
  • Which do you prefer, chocolate (deserts) or vanilla (deserts)? I say deserts because people usually ask "chocolate or vanilla ice cream", but you may or may not eat ice cream so...

It was just a silly question.
  • A mountain of chocolate and vanilla ice cream...and a threadmill afterwards.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited February 2012
    I agree with you, although I personally (independent of nature, society, whatever) would want a purely monogamous relationship.
    Thank you...
    You make my point - you personally would prefer a monogamous relationship - as I imagine, would most - if not all - of us here.
    And that's a choice you have made, you see....
    Unfortunately, it is my opinion that - in all likelihood - :p - you cannot say "independent of nature, society, whatever " precisely because you ARE a part of nature and society. We are conditioned by the experiences we go through. They shape our opinions, whichever way those opinions may fall... If you lived in a different society, and were subject to a different quality of nature - you may well have a different preference....The only way you could be independent of such things would be if you had never fallen under the influence of any of them, for any formative period of time.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited February 2012
    Question? If monogamy was a choice and we could therefore love freely, then why is there the consequence of STDs?
    I'd say it's because other biological organisms and viruses evolved to take advantage of our reproductive process. Things like the use of condoms and being monogamous can certainly help reduce our exposure to these things, but I don't think that their existence means we're somehow meant to be monogamous (e.g., one could argue that they evolved along side us because we're not an inherently monogamous species). Moreover, simple observations of human interactions reveal that we have the capacity to be both monogamous and non-monogamous. And while there may have been some practical, evolutionary reasons for us being predominately one or the other at certain times and places throughout history, I don't see a lot of evidence to suggest that we were ever meant to be exclusively one or the other.
  • Which do you prefer, chocolate (deserts) or vanilla (deserts)? I say deserts because people usually ask "chocolate or vanilla ice cream", but you may or may not eat ice cream so...

Oh, yes, Chocolate fanatic here... milk, dark, doesn't matter, it's all good :)

Both ;) For desserts adding some vanilla enhances the flavor of chocolate. I like vanilla icecream better.

• But in essence by being monogamous, we're going against 'nature'.
    That's like saying birth control is against nature.
    Well, it is....
    Birth Control is, again, a man-made concept, created for convenience and as a necessity.... it allowed for sexual freedom and safeguarded against pregnancy.

(Mind you, simply because humans can get pregnant, it doesn't mean they always able to become so...)

Contraception is a choice.

As is Monogamy.

If you believe that monogamy and birth control are unnatural who am I to say you're wrong. You must agree that being wrong is natural though, being that there is no choice in the matter. :D
    In all likelihood.
  • @Jason...hpv is a virus that causes cervical and testicular cancer in men ad women. Up until a few years ago, there was no vaccine.

It is passed by skin to skin contact and condoms are actually ineffective to the virus.

Fyi, many studs can lay dormant in your body from years...because everyone's immune system is different...see, asymptonatic.

Guess what, hpv risk increases the more sexual partners you have.

There has to Bea reason why there is a negative consequence to multiple sex partners. Cause and effect.

While monogamy is unnatural, and I do believe in plural marriages and controlled polygamy...promiscuity, I fear is bad for society.

That's. Just my opinion.

So people, get checked for STDs.

If you have just met the person, go to the clinic andmake it a date.

Guys might get a little sore from the four inch swab to the penis...but better than getting a blow torch to cauliflower warts.

Then go back six months later and repeat.

This is what my obgyn recommendeds.
    edited February 2012
    @Jason...hpv is a virus that causes cervical and testicular cancer in men ad women. Up until a few years ago, there was no vaccine.

It is passed by skin to skin contact and condoms are actually ineffective to the virus.

Fyi, many studs can lay dormant in your body from years...because everyone's immune system is different...see, asymptonatic.

Guess what, hpv risk increases the more sexual partners you have.

There has to Bea reason why there is a negative consequence to multiple sex partners. Cause and effect.

While monogamy is unnatural, and I do believe in plural marriages and controlled polygamy...promiscuity, I fear is bad for society.

That's. Just my opinion.

So people, get checked for STDs.

If you have just met the person, go to the clinic andmake it a date.

Guys might get a little sore from the four inch swab to the penis...but better than getting a blow torch to cauliflower warts.

Then go back six months later and repeat.

This is what my obgyn recommendeds.
    Sorry, @Lady_Alison, but I'm not really sure what your point is here (maybe I misunderstood what you were originally asking?). I never said that monogamy was unnatural, or that people shouldn't get tested for STDs. All I'm saying is that we haven't always been a strictly monogamous species, and that other biological organisms and viruses evolved along side us to take advantage of our reproductive process in order to thrive and reproduce themselves. Of course, statistically speaking, the more partners we have, the more chances we have of contracting and passing along an STD. Similarly, the more we drive, the greater the likelihood we'll get into an accident. But again, that doesn't mean their existence means we should be monogamous, as if they're some kind of punishment for sleeping with more than one person or something. The 'reason' there are 'negative consequences' to having sex with anyone, in my opinion, is simply that these things have taken advantage of our reproductive process in order to survive through years of natural selection, much like parasites evolving along side their hosts have. Certainly, there are advantages to being monogamous; but evolutionary speaking, that may not have always been the case.
  • @Jason...your point is valid...I have a habbit of seeing things as black and white.

I also realize you are correct that microbes want to survive just as much as we do.

I enjoy microbiology...I was looking at it from a moralistic perspective.
  • Okay question for everyone...if you were an animal what kind of animal would you be and why?
  • Okay question for everyone...if you were an animal what kind of animal would you be and why?
    Red Panda, because why not?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6GaPkkGZGw
    Okay question for everyone...if you were an animal what kind of animal would you be and why?
    A slog, which is a made-up animal that's a cross between a sloth and a dog because that'd be awesome. Or a lemur, because they're cute.
    edited February 2012
    @Jason...your point is valid...I have a habbit of seeing things as black and white.

I also realize you are correct that microbes want to survive just as much as we do.

I enjoy microbiology...I was looking at it from a moralistic perspective.
    I tend to take things like biology, culture, history, etc. into consideration when I look at things from a moralistic perspective, primarily because I think morals are more or less relative in the sense that they have a tendency to change over time and with changing circumstances and advances in knowledge. Basically, I don't believe the universe is designed in such a way as to make any specific action done by human beings absolutely right or wrong. The way I see it, we simply experience the results of our actions in ways that are interpreted to be right or wrong based upon a myriad of factors, some of which may be unique to our species.
  • No way I was gonna choose lemur.
    Or bunny rabbit.
    Sorry. :D
    An eagle.
    Man, the fun I'd have.
  • GuiGui Veteran
    Blue Heron
  • Koala
  • Dolphin
    No way I was gonna choose lemur.
    Or bunny rabbit.
    Rabbits are the spawn of Satan himself.
    edited February 2012
    Yeah, and man, can them spawn breed..... more for us eagles......:D
  • I would like to be a cat. So that I could get on the youtube videos.
    It can be arranged.... there's a hidden camera in your room.....
  • @Arjquad ....evil bunny rabbits...ag!
  • @Lady_Alison don't turn your back to any. I knew a guy who did once, he's currently in the ICU, the doctors say he has little chance of recovering.
  • @Arjquad ...hahaha...what did he get assaulted by ninja bunnies?
  • @Lady_Alison we may never know.
  • @Arjquad what's with you andyour anti-bunnitism...I noticeed you didn't choose an animal?

Okay peeps...if you were imbued with a super power whàt would it be?

I choose Jean grey from xmen, but as the pheonix...even though she went crazy bitch...
  • @Lady_Alison I got bite by one 3 years ago. Also, I choose red panda because they are amazing.
  • @Arjquad ...oh...haha I tiny little bunny bit you. How traumatic.

Actually I had a rabbit as a child and when they bite, it does hurt.
  • Tiny? Ha it was the size of a buick and had a soul darker than a thousand screaming banshees.
  • Mutant healing factor like Wolverine
  • @Jeffery EXACTLY!
  • 'Giggles'...no way!
  • @Lady_Alison I would like to be a cat, because I think I already am one. Or maybe I was a long time ago... And yeah, I could make some great youtube videos! It's amazing how much time we can kill watching that stuff!
    Hang on... are we still on 'animals I'd like to be', or have we moved on to 'superpowers'....?
  • @federica...I think we are still on trees.

Oh well!
  • @ginab...are you standoffish and have a compulsion to bat, pounce, and ambush?

Little litters!
  • @Lady_Alison Yes, you describe we well. Also, I will give you dirty looks if the water isn't super fresh in the bowl or my crunchies have lost their crunch... I will walk past you just far enough away that you can't reach me. When the doorbell rings I will disappear! :D
  • @ginab...you sound like my Kitty. Lol.. she wants everything to be her idea.
  • Okay, I have questions for everyone:

Would you rather pass out every time you had the urge to laugh (no matter what you were doing), or break out in hideous, red, itchy rashes that don't go away for 24-hours every time you had the urge to laugh?