Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Must be the full moon

BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
edited February 2012 in NewBuddhist.com

Comments

• DaltheJigsawLeon Basin Mountain View Veteran
    You tell them Brian! Love it! So damn true! Compassion, Peace and Happiness. We come with it and we expand it through the Internet!:)
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    LOL. I think you ultimately did what needed to be done.
  • Is it?! Is that why my coat is coming in so brown and shiny?

YYYYEEEEESSSSS! OOOOOUUU!
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    edited February 2012
    It is a full moon days right now. :) Feb 7th. :)

Navam Poya day is the full-moon of February. This holy day celebrates
    the ordination of the Buddha Gotama's main disciples Sariputta and
    MahaMoggallana. On this day Buddha also later decides his Parinibbana.

http://what-buddha-said.net/drops/III/Navam_Poya_Day.htm
  • I'm not sure what motivated this statement, but I do agree. There have been many times since I joined this site that some people have things a little too far, and I just don't see why people can't just get along. If a person expects loving tolerance for their personal beliefs then they should express the same toward others.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Oh Moon! When I look on thy beautiful face,
    Careering along through the boundaries of space,
    The question has frequently come to my mind,
    If ever I'll gaze on thy lovely behind....?
    People forget it has a dark side.....
  • i was told today and yesterday were peak times for chaos.
    this is astrology mind you.
    there is something fishy in the air.

i am not a female, but i would image this is what my girl friend is like during her period. cramps and lack of patience. i can never know for sure.

time to think about the bodhisattva vows.
  • hi
    Thank you for the great site

slainte
  • I am so glad that this is the first thing that I read as a brand new member! I was and still am nervous about being here but your post has made me feel slightly less apprehensive. Thank you Brian!
  • sig on your fig. crunch on your munch.
  • There have been many times since I joined this site that some people have things a little too far, and I just don't see why people can't just get along.
    I'd like to say that I think we have a good community here. Once in a while someone will join who appears to be intent on disruption, but the moderators on the whole have been pretty good at weeding those out, or letting them weed themselves out. (Though waiting for them to weed themselves out can take patience, something I failed in just recently, mea culpa.) So @etherea, you have nothing to worry about. In fact I've noticed that many newbies remark on how supportive we are. Barring the occasional debate on the politics of the day, lol.

Brian to the rescue--good work!

• Now that we have weathered the storm just think what interesting discussions and sharing we will have in the future! Thanks newbuddhist mandala!
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    ...yes.
    I just linked into a discussion concerning a chimp and chess..... :lol:
  • There are duplicate threads/announcements in the "Newbuddhist" category.
    edited February 2012
    which ones...?
    The Acronyms?
    One is for specific Buddhist ones, one is for general forum widely-used ones.....
    Feel free to add to either if you know of any not there currently....
  • LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    There are duplicate threads/announcements in the "Newbuddhist" category.
    Yeah, been a bug for a while now. Working on it. :)
  • Now that we have weathered the storm just think what interesting discussions and sharing we will have in the future! Thanks newbuddhist mandala!
    Yes :)
    There are duplicate threads/announcements in the "Newbuddhist" category.
    Yeah, been a bug for a while now. Working on it. :)
    Oh....

:o
  • DandelionDandelion London Veteran
    i was told today and yesterday were peak times for chaos.

i am not a female, but i would image this is what my girl friend is like during her period. cramps and lack of patience. i can never know for sure.

Yes, it is astrological, I agree with your friend. It's not everyone's cup of tea the whole planets affecting us thing though. I like to combine Buddhism and astrology, but I think I'm alone on that one on the forum though :D
  • i was told today and yesterday were peak times for chaos.

Yes, it is astrological, I agree with your friend. It's not everyone's cup of tea the whole planets affecting us thing though. I like to combine Buddhism and astrology, but I think I'm alone on that one on the forum though :D
    Aren't Tibetan monks all about astrology?

It's always interesting, but I'm not sure how to bridge that gap between buddhism and astrology.

It's been a weird couple days.
  • All I know is aunt flo came to town today.

The b*tch is here to stay, so I practice mindfulness.
    All I know is aunt flo came to town today.

The b*tch is here to stay, so I practice mindfulness.
    You do make me laugh (bet I'm not the only one either)
    :D :clap:
    i was told today and yesterday were peak times for chaos.

Aren't Tibetan monks all about astrology?

It's always interesting, but I'm not sure how to bridge that gap between buddhism and astrology.

It's been a weird couple days.
    Yes. I was ecstatic to read on the Dalai Lama's website (the bit that talks about his education), that he studied astrology as a minor subject. I know far more astrology than Buddhism, so I'm slowly navigating my way through utilising both, together. As a little example (and this is just what I do, I've no idea what a tibetan monk would make of this!):
    Take the natal chart with all the placements, aspects etc. A natal chart may show a character that has severe aggression issues, and the triggers for that persons aggression, and also up coming events that might trigger this aggression. Straight away that would tell you from a Buddhist perspective that dealing with anger would be something that a person needs to focus on greatly in their practice. This is a very simplistic example, but you get what I mean. I don't personally know any Buddhists in my life outside of this forum, so I just use astrology for my own benefit alongside my Buddhist practice, and I find it beneficial. But, as I say, each to their own, some people reading this will think it is weird hocus pocus and I'm cool with that, I'm not trying to persuade any one to agree with me, it's just my preference, thus far anyway, who knows if I will still feel the same later on down the line as my knowledge of Buddhism increases. Impermanence and all that....
  • @Dandelion What kind of astrology do you do? I find that Eastern astrology, and Tibetan in particular, is the most accurate and best fit for me.
    Western astrology, I tend to use placidus or equal house, but I don't dismiss any of the house systems. Do you do vedic @compassionate_warrior? I have dipped my toe into vedic, and the only reason I haven't explored it further is time constraints. As far as traditional and modern methods go, again I don't dismiss either. I know more modern than traditional but again this is time constraints... so much to learn it makes my head fuzzy lol!
    @Dakini no, I'm not sure either. I have a big list of things to investigate! I am very interested in also learning about Tibetan Medicine, I have seen a book (about tibetan medicine) on the amazon I would like my husband to buy me for my birthday :) A.T.M and only from the little I know of all branches of Buddhism, I feel quite drawn to Tibetan Buddhism. The Dalai Lama's face makes me feel happy too. I tend to go off instinct/intuition, so I think I will get a picture of him and hang it on my wall, where I'm going to make my little meditation spot, his face for me, feels calming to look at before meditating. I think I will start a thread about quirks....
  • Do you have the film, "The Knowledge of Healing"? Very thorough and fascinating explanation of Tibetan medicine, along with scientific analysis of it in European labs and Israeli cancer labs. The DL is in it, his doctor does a lot of explaining. One of my favorite films.
    No, but I have ordered it off Amazon, I saw you mention it on the magic thread @Dakini so looked into it and I'm hoping it will be here by the end of Feb :)
  • An opportunity to speak hmmm. Meh.
  • shanyinshanyin Novice Yogin Sault Ontario Veteran
    maybe newbuddhist forums could use a positive mission statement.
  • maybe newbuddhist forums could use a positive mission statement.
    Brian posted one. Look at the "new buddhist" discussion category, among the first threads.