Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Was the Buddha a Jew?

betaboybetaboy Veteran
edited February 2012 in Buddhism Basics
His shunyata is devoid of forms, body, it is not a material reality etc. Isn't this similar to yahweh, who is also devoid of forms? So what Buddha called emptiness ... was he on some mystical level experiencing Yahweh?

Comments

• Was Buddha a Jew? Was Jesus a Buddhist?

This "experiencing Yahweh", I've never heard that before. Is that a mystical branch of Judaism?
  • edited February 2012
    Kabbalah?
  • They should re-invent the where's wally book series to 'where's jesus' for the young jews to read.
  • jlljll Veteran
    Yes, he was.
    His real name was Sid Darte Goda Mayer.
    LOL.
  • Oy gevalt, was the Buddha a Jew?

If I put my responsible hat on, I would have to say....

According to what I have been taught, Emptiness is not a transcendent creative source like God. That idea is put aside in practice. There is no such thing (or no-thing) called "Emptiness" apart from Form. Emptiness is the nature of Form. It is a tricky subject that, IMHO, is best approached with the guidance of a teacher, because it is not a metaphysical truth, but an understanding for practice.

• Yes, he was.
    His real name was Sid Darte Goda Mayer.
    LOL.
    Lol, that was funny. Sid darte...
  • Was Buddha a Jew? Was Jesus a Buddhist?

This "experiencing Yahweh", I've never heard that before. Is that a mystical branch of Judaism?
    Yahweh communes to different people differently. He appeared as the burning bush to Moses but spoke in different ways to other prophets. So maybe, Buddha experienced him in his ow.n way.
  • That's assuming buddha was a prophet...if he had been, he would have defaulted to judaic belief and practice, including the belief in a monotheistic God.
  • BonsaiDougBonsaiDoug Simply, on the path. Veteran
    Oy... labeling! :rolleyes:
  • The word yahweh or jehovah are modern pronunciation from the hebrew god as yhwh...no vowels. It was a title taken from the given answer to moses by the midianite god in the cave who reaponded to his query with "I AM "

YAHWEH was a jealous god, who ordered the deaths of thousands of Israelites after the erection of the golden calf.

Yahweh traveled to the promised land and helped them win the victory over the indigenous population of canaan. Deut...chap 3 and4. It was a massacre.

The time of kings and judges came next and it is no secret that solomon and his kingdom believed in a Pantheon of gods, such as baal. And the belief of yahweh was thin compare to other gods of the nations history. Yahweh was no more than an Israelites war God. His erected temple was small compare to the king's harem.

• So as far as israelite gods go....which one

El, adonai, elohim, yahweh?

So so many...not to mention hundreds of years of revision, adoption and corruption of books.
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    @Lady_Alison Very informative response! But are you saying that the Jewish people believed in more than one god?
  • No..jews are monotheist and believe in the abrahamic God, as do Christians (who refer to him as the father) and muslims refer to him as Allah.

I am simply pointing out that judaism adopted various beliefs and yes, at certain points in their histories they had several gods, because they were living beside the indigenous. Judaism as you know it today is monotheist, largely because of revisions to their books.

I was only giving a little history to another interpretation to Yahweh for the op.
  • For example the epic story of Gilgamesh, older than the story of noah was adopted into the old testament.

The stories are very identical.
  • L_A's response points to the historical issues at play - @betaboy, if youre interested, find the syllabus of a classics course and start reading there - once you have this foundation, your curiosity will guide you where you need to go - what is presented now as yhwh and organised religion as a whole was very different when considered though the eyes of the culture at the time and the historical framework of the various civilisations over recorded history.

The concept as a whole is an interesting one - is the Buddhist guide to reality in fact another way of expressing a universal deity? Strictly on construction, the 2 are certainly not incompatible... if the proposition is true then I suppose it could be akin to describing your day in 2 different languages... saying the same thing in different ways.
  • the noah story is very interesting - certainly repeated in many traditions - I wont say all, but (speculative) I'm sure I read that it is recorded in all written traditions and many of the oral ones
  • Personaly, and I may not be correct but I am speaking from MY OWN PERSONAL EXPERIENCE..
    ..I need my center to be a monotheistic God and he has to meet certain characteristics in order for me to believe...omnipotent, omnipresent, omniscient...etc.

Buddhaism has helped me get closer and if I studies it alone, I fear that I would easily fall into nihilism.

But this is my experience.
  • Personal experience is the most important guide of all - there was a thread on here about why the Dalai Lama doesnt want you to be a buddhist - L_A answers here with considerable skill... :bowdown:
  • @zero...(shrugs, humbly) the empty can rattles the most.
  • No, zero, that was a post on the buddha versus jesus on teachings by peace2012. . . @zero..how have you been. I posted cupcake recipe btw...

Back to topic.