Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Culture?

ZaylZayl Veteran
edited February 2012 in General Banter
Now I know that since this is the internet, you will come across people of all nations and creeds. So, tell me about your culture, your heritage and ancestry. I think it is important to recognize these difference in one another, so we can embrace and celebrate them, and show pride in where we come from. No matter your views, no matter how stubborn you may be you cannot escape the fact that some culture or another has practically shaped every thing about you, whether you like it or not. And for us mix-breeds which heritage do you feel a stronger tie to, if any? Please remember folks that I believe it is entirely possible to show pride in where you come from without excluding all others and being ignorant, it is possible. So let's leave that entire can of worms unopened, shall we?

Now. I feel a very strong connection to my Caucasian, specifically Scandinavian heritage. And I find it's ancient culture to be very fascinating. Full of ideals and laws that come from not logic, but wisdom and honor. Not to mention a very rich history of art and music, and some of the best story-telling I have personally heard. Now of course ancient cultures had their problems, and I am not ignoring them.

This is example of some traditional woodworking adorning a building at Urnes Stave Church, in Norway. Along with other various runestones and other wood carvings, something about the artwork is rather astonishing and beautiful in a primal way. I also own a copy of the Havamal, an ancient "code of conduct" or what have you, still kept up by modern Asatruars. Now the entire thing is far too long to put down here, but I will share a few of my favorite verses. Bear in mind, they are not in exact order and I am skipping many.

The man who stands at a strange threshold,
Should be cautious before he cross it,
Glance this way and that:
Who knows beforehand what foes may sit
Awaiting him in the hall?

Drink your mead, but in moderation,
Talk sense or be silent:
No man is called discourteous who goes
To bed at an early hour

An ill tempered, unhappy man
Ridicules all he hears,
Makes fun of others, refusing always
To see the faults in himself

A man should be loyal through life to friends,
And return gift for gift,
Laugh when they laugh,
but with lies repay
A false foe who lies.

The halt can manage a horse,
the handless a flock,
The deaf be a doughty fighter,
To be blind is better than to burn on a pyre:
There is nothing the dead can do.

Cattle die, kindred die,
Every man is mortal:
But the good name never dies
Of one who has done well

That hand among the hides
And move amid the guts,
Clear words often come.
Scoff not at guests nor to the gate chase them,
But relieve the lonely and wretched,

As you can see, no matter where you look, you can find words of wisdom. Now, you can hear the Havamal sung in the video below, if you wish.

So please, share what you have pride in here, I am eager to learn about different cultures and arts and wisom.

Comments

• Ooh that is pretty.

I'm mestizo...a mixture of Spanish and Mayan blood...or central American.

I have tan skin, dark eyes, and speak Spanish and English.

I was born and raised in Texas...yeehaw!

What I find about the Mayan culture fascinating is that they built cities near active volcanos...such as the capital of Mexico, their mathematics and of course, creepy 2012 calendar.

I'm actually very lucky to have that lineage...I do very well in hot climates, compare to my poor Irish husband.
  • Well my background is very mixed up indeed. I was born in England but I am only 1/4 English in terms of heritage. My mother had a father who was English and a mother who was German, they met in WWII. My father was adopted and was originally born in Estonia. So I am half Estonian, 1/4 German and 1/4 English.

When I was in my teen years in the UK, I never felt quite like everyone else. I was brought up to have a sort of european cultured mindset instead of an English island race so to speak. I was more accepting of other cultures and races, and when it came to the typical brit bashing Germany and Germans, you can understand how I felt.

Now living in Thailand I feel more at home in this culture than I ever have anywhere else. I do not know why exactly, but I feel that this place suits me very well indeed.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited February 2012
    @Lady_Alison The 2012 calendar isn't creepy. It's just the end of a cycle and the beginning of a new one, like we celebrate the New Year. Don't believe all that fake mythology.

Mayan--very cool. I've visited many of the ruined cities. They didn't build anything as far north as Mexico City, that was the Aztecs. The Maya were (are) in both the highlands (near volcanos) and the lowlands (the Yucatan, Honduras, islands on the Caribbean coast). They did trade far and wide, though, all the way up to northern Mexico and the American Southwest. Fascinating. :)
  • Ah...yes I thought they went all the way up to Mexico.my parents are Honduran.
  • @dakini....ok, now you go next.

Tom...that's cool. I kinda feel more at home with Tex Mexico culture than Honduran.
  • I must say Alison, you must be quite a unique Texan considering your background. :thumbsup:
  • No...there is alot of brown in Texas, Tom. Whites are the minority. We all go to the rodeo and wear boots.

So not that uncommon.

But country music is soo sad!
  • They did go up to Mexico, just not as far north as Mexico City. In fact, one theory is that they originated around the gulf of Mexico, they evolved from the Olmec culture.

"Culture", me? Just generic American. I'm a huge fan of cultural diversity, though. I think cultural diversity is one of humanity's greatest gifts and, sadly, one of its greatest stumbling blocks.
  • @dakini...you don't have any different variations of white meat like Tom?
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited February 2012
    meh....Well, if you're gonna drag it outa me....English and Scottish on my mom's side (BO-ring!), and my dad always insisted he was German, but I finally figured out what I suspected all along: not German. Turns out his paternal line was indigenous Prussian, Baltic-speaking Prussian, like the Lithuanians and Latvians. Germany took over around 1250, Poland also took a chunk of Prussia, and outlawed the language and started killing people off. Those who survived did so by assimilating to German and forgetting who they originally were. So actually, from that side, I have a lot in common with Zayl, because the Prussians had pretty much the same gods as the Scandinavians (and Slavs). The Prussians were the last Pagan holdouts in Europe. The Prussian language was the closest European language to Sanskrit, very very old.
  • @dakini ...generic, my ass! That isn't boring at all. All of that sees extremely interesting as you have already looked into each history.
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    Great thread!
  • Why did your dad lie? Lol...
  • @leonbasin...you don't just pop in and say blah blah blah...good thread...

PARTICIPATE!
  • No...there is alot of brown in Texas, Tom. Whites are the minority. We all go to the rodeo and wear boots.

So not that uncommon.

But country music is soo sad!
    Really, well that just shows how much I know about the US. I guess texas is quite close to Mexico so.. And I personally do not have a liking for country music :rolleyes: Anyhoos, I have a thai lesson and some errands to do, so tootles people, and to most of you good night :)
  • YYeah,my mom tried to say she had "Hungarian" ancestry and that she spoke the language...meh, it was jiberish.

It was her light skin and green eyes...my father was Indian brown.

Yay, mental illness.
  • He didn't know. His grandfather spoke German, so he just figured the family had always been German. This history of the attempted extermination of the Prussian people was buried. I discovered it on a Prussian-revival website that was set up a little over 10 years ago.
    @leonbasin...you don't just pop in and say blah blah blah...good thread...

PARTICIPATE!
    Sure I do! That is me contributing! Keeping the thread alive!:)
  • @leonbasin...I think you said you were Russian and I thought you were a really white Chicano. Lol.
    edited February 2012
    @leonbasin...I think you said you were Russian and I thought you were a really white Chicano. Lol.
    Haha. Russian/Ukrainian Jew!:)
  • He didn't know. His grandfather spoke German, so he just figured the family had always been German. This history of the attempted extermination of the Prussian people was buried. I discovered it on a Prussian-revival website that was set up a little over 10 years ago.
    That's cool. I love when you learn little things like that.
  • Haha. Russian/Ukrainian Jew!:)
    yeah, so Leon, are you gonna tell us the origin of the name "Basin"? Is that it's original form, or was it shortened after immigrating to the US?

• @leonbasin...we have to catch him before he runs out...he's like that rabbit from Alice in wonderland.
    Haha. Russian/Ukrainian Jew!:)
    yeah, so Leon, are you gonna tell us the origin of the name "Basin"? Is that it's original form, or was it shortened after immigrating to the US?

Nah, like the BIG BASIN~!:) And nah, never shortened. My name Leon was shortened. It's Leonid Borisovich Basin.

• I like your real name better. It's so ethnic.

Did you have a barmitzbah?
  • Yeah Leon...in Spanish means "lion " and the basin sounded Spanish....that's how I got confuse.
  • I too have very strong ancestry from Norway. My last name is actually only 4 generations old since they used to do last names differently in Norway. I love reading about Norse mythology and learning about the old history of Norway and of course making the traditional Christmas dish of lefse by myself every year. I also think of myself as Swiss next thanks to my grandpa who kept insisting that we were 100% Swiss even though he is only half I still identify with them as my heritage. I also have some Irish, English, maybe German or Dutch blood as well.
  • I just did an international night at one of my schools and was planning on another before my job readjustment. The staff was sooo excited, one used to work at our highest diversity elementary school that has most of the refugees, 24 languages, etc. All their documents need to be in English, Spanish and Arabic,. Now I hear that the staff does not have the oomph to do it, the person who took over for me is pretty much pissing everyone off. That is sad and not relevant.

So I have some German but culturally and by appearance I am Danish American. My dads family lives in Northern Iowa in a small town of Danish Lutherans. Instead of a rodeo queen they elect a Little Mermaid. Very cute. I tried to learn Danish when I was younger but didn't get far (my grandma refused to speak Danish to me). We celebrate Christmas on Christmas Eve mostly. And everyone in the family can make vinebred (Danish pastry, this year was the first apricot one I did, yum) We don't use it often but I have an aebelskiver pan (pancake balls, they sell on the 'as seen on TV' deals now, sigh)

So I was researching my next tattoo and I am totally into the raven. I had 2 reasons (visit by animal/totem and Poe) and then I read about the Valkyrie connection. Super cool,
  • My high school is very diverse, I heard awhile ago that in total there are about 64 different languages spoken by the students.
  • @arjquad...do you like chocolate? Swiss people eat more chocolate than any other people in the world.

Do you bleed chocolate? Ummm, chocolate...oh shit, I forgot v day candy went on sale today.

Sorry...
  • @arjquad how old are you, I forget.

I might try your ethnic dish this year for Xmas. Muslims still celebrate Xmas.
  • @Aheerdt ...I hope you write down all your recipes somewhere. Maybe you could even publish them.
  • @lady_alison the vinebred recipe is the way my grandma wrote it. Steps are brief, assuming everyone can cook and bake. So it just says, 'scald and cool', 'mix like pie crust' and 'stew the prunes'. I had to learn what all that meant!

I have a couple Russian recipes for cold salads from a Russian family I babysat for. The little girl spoke no English and it was fun to teach her English. So beet salad and green bean salad, yum.
  • You do have to know how to cook to know what that means!
  • ArjquadArjquad Veteran
    edited February 2012
    @Lady_Alison I love chocolate, semi sweet baking chocolate is the best. At my family reunions on my moms side (Swiss side) we give out giant bars of Tolberone.
    @arjquad how old are you, I forget.
    ...creepy...
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited February 2012
    Toblerone sold out to an American company decades ago, did you know?

The thing about good Swiss chocolate is that it's very creamy, they don't skimp on the cream. Cream is more expensive than sugar, so in the US, the chocolate is sweet, not creamy.

Hey, we've had several tea threads in the past, how about starting a chocolate thread?
  • @dakini I did not know that. I still consider it Swiss though, unless they changed the formula for it.
  • @Lady_Alison I love chocolate, semi sweet baking chocolate is the best. At my family reunions on my moms side (Swiss side) we give out giant bars of Tolberone.
    @arjquad how old are you, I forget.
    ...creepy...
    Lol...hahahaha....you said high school...even if you were in college, I'm too old for you. Even if you were 28 I'm too old...evenif you were 50 I'm too old....and married. Lol..

I agree, the baking chips are better.
  • I wonder if the formula changed after the Yanks got hold of it, maybe substituting more sugar for some of the cream. idk. All I know is, the Toblerones are awfully sweet, comparatively. I used to be a huge fan, but now I can't handle as much sugar as I used to.
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    edited February 2012
    Like most Americans, I have a little bit of random European mutt... but most of my heritage on my mother's side is Swedish and my father's side is Russian.

The Russian part is all very mysterious since my grandmother broke all ties with her family and never really talked about it much. About all I know is that we hail from the part of Russia near the Ukraine... which may or may not have actually been the Ukraine since my family immigrated to the US while it was still the USSR. My father always calls it "White Russia" ...whatever that means.

All I can tell you about being Swedish is that we eat a lot of dry crackers (knäckebröd... which I can only seem to find at IKEA, haha, but whatever. My grandmother loves it.) and any sort of canned/jarred/pickled fish you can think of. Oh, and we drink A LOT of coffee. That's what being Swedish in America means to me, lol.
  • I like Lindt chocolate...with orange or chili.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited February 2012
    ZG, Russians from that part of Russia have a lot of Swedish blood in them. From the Vikings. Are you sure your father calls it "White Russia" and not "Belarus"? Belarus is a separate country north of Ukraine on the Russian border (was part of USSR).

haha! Crackers! It's true, the Swedes have maybe 50 varieties of knackebrod, at least! Crackers (aka flatbread) and cheese, cucumbers. I don't know how they manage to be so healthy on a relatively limited diet. But fish is good for you, and traditionally they used to gather berries and make juice and jam out of the berries. Russians/Ukes did that, too. Oh, oh, and pancakes, like crepes, but heavier.

Hey, Lady_Alison, I just remembered: the Mayans invented chocolate! No wonder you like it! :)
  • @dakini...yea, I thought it was a girl thing...ummm chocolate.
  • @Dakini the mayans may have invented it, bit the Swiss perfected it, like everything else they get ahold of.

I thought Belarus was an island in the caribean...I'm learning new things everyday!
  • @Dakini the mayans may have invented it, bit the Swiss perfected it, like everything else they get ahold of.
    Go, team!
    :thumbsup:
  • The Swiss do make good clocks...and army knives...cars...the cern thing...oh, and it's a landlocked country...very safe and self sufficient.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited February 2012
    The highest living standard in the world, along with Sweden.
    Multi-lingual, and they all get along!
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    ZG, Russians from that part of Russia have a lot of Swedish blood in them. From the Vikings. Are you sure your father calls it "White Russia" and not "Belarus"? Belarus is a separate country north of Ukraine on the Russian border (was part of USSR).

haha! Crackers! It's true, the Swedes have maybe 50 varieties of knackebrod, at least! Crackers (aka flatbread) and cheese, cucumbers. I don't know how they manage to be so healthy on a relatively limited diet. But fish is good for you, and traditionally they used to gather berries and make juice and jam out of the berries. Russians/Ukes did that, too. Oh, oh, and pancakes, like crepes, but heavier.
    You know more about my heritage than I do Dakini... lol. That's fascinating though that I possibly have Swedish blood on both sides. But no, he definitely said it was 'White Russia' ...but like I said, I don't really know what that means and honestly, my grandmother has now passed and her children don't know much about it either. She had some sort of massive falling out with her father and that... was all she wrote...

The Swedish side of my family is the freakishly healthy side. My great grandfather wouldn't even let my grandmother drink water with her meal because it dilutes the digestive enzymes... which is true. My grandmother always gathers every sort of berry to make jam... but I think that's a grandma thing, not just a Swedish thing, haha.
  • Berry-gathering is a Northern thing, because fruit is so hard to come by, so people get their vitamin C year round by stockpiling berries in different forms. It's also an E. European thing, I think.
    I like your real name better. It's so ethnic.

Did you have a barmitzbah?
    No I did not. Did not believe in it.