Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Scientific Proof of Reincarnation

2»

Comments

• jlljll Veteran
    Does a person who gets cancer deserves to get cancer?
    Lets try this idea: What if you meet a woman who was abused in childhood and was rapped as in an adult? Is she being punished because she has done in her past life? If so, why do you want to believe bad stuff happen to people because they deserve it on themselves.
    Also, I don't see why rebirth makes one see her as being punished. Someone who doesn't believe in rebirth could just as easily say its her fault (karma) for putting herself in a position to be raped.
  • More research like Stevenson's should be done imo.
    There has been more research done. Jim Tucker, a colleague of Stevenson's, continued Stevenson's work and published his research in "Life Before Life". The interesting thing about Tucker's book is that for each case, he considers alternative explanations, then explains why they don't hold water. Other books on the subject will come up if you do a search on Amazon.

• http://reluctant-messenger.com/reincarnation-proof.htm
    Can we believe any of this?
    Oh yeah, I love good science. :)
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Does a person who gets cancer deserves to get cancer?
    Lets try this idea: What if you meet a woman who was abused in childhood and was rapped as in an adult? Is she being punished because she has done in her past life? If so, why do you want to believe bad stuff happen to people because they deserve it on themselves.
    Also, I don't see why rebirth makes one see her as being punished. Someone who doesn't believe in rebirth could just as easily say its her fault (karma) for putting herself in a position to be raped.
    I think you didn't understand the 2 posts.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    @jll, it's not a question of whether a person 'deserves' something or not.
    Kamma is not a judgemental evaluative process, or something that brings condemnation retribution or glorification and grandeur.

It just is.

we can no more put a person's rape, or cancer down to kamma than we can put it down to your kamma that you're reading this thread.
    The question is not why things happen.
    The question is how do we deal with it skilfully, now?
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    edited February 2012

How about accepting it? You know you have only ONE life

I would like to see some peer reviewed article documenting the evidence of this! :) Also, which scientist was it that reported back his/her findings after they were dead?
  • @jll – you’re free to believe whatever you want! (So go to hell if what you’re thinking is not right!)

I am hardly swayed by people listing their credits in order to gain respectability – I could jot down all my qualifications and I would sound like a very respectable and believable individual! It doesn’t mean that someday I wont wake up and decide that I can make money from selling speculation.

It remains that reincarnation is not proved, despite numerous and extensive studies.

Humans find the notion of a final and ultimate death very hard to deal with.
    I concur with everything here. Right now, I see reincarnation as something observable, but not supernatural. The process of changing composition (what we call "dying") and continuing the cycle of life, and existence, is observable reincarnation. All matter on the Earth is made of the same thing - it is just arranged differently. It's quite a beautiful system just as it is, and to apply a supernatural projection to it, I think, squanders the very real beauty and awe.

• Even good science is just a way of looking at reality, not reality itself.
  • B5CB5C Veteran

I would like to see some peer reviewed article documenting the evidence of this! :) Also, which scientist was it that reported back his/her findings after they were dead?
    Of course we can't say anything about death. Yet we do know one thing. We were nothing before birth and chances are it will be nothing when we die.

Also note: "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence" ~ Carl Sagan

• I would like to see some peer reviewed article documenting the evidence of this! :) Also, which scientist was it that reported back his/her findings after they were dead?
    Of course we can't say anything about death. Yet we do know one thing. We were nothing before birth and chances are it will be nothing when we die.

Actually that is not knowable. What is nothing?

Nihilism is an assumption as well.

• I would like to see some peer reviewed article documenting the evidence of this! :) Also, which scientist was it that reported back his/her findings after they were dead?

I disagree. Perhaps, to a human perception we were and will be "nothing." But if we stand back and look at the big picture, it's just one part of a much larger cycle.

Actually that is not knowable. What is nothing?

Nihilism is an assumption as well.
    You mean 'annihilationism', which is not synonymous with nihilism.
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    Howdy,

RNA ( ribonucleic asid ) The sequence of nucleotides allows RNA to encode genetic information. All cellular organisms use messenger RNA (mRNA) to carry the genetic information that directs the synthesis of proteins.

In some cases this code opens and the person starts to see hundred years before what his/her ancesters have done...

This is just the information belonging to his/her ancesters... Not to himself or to herself.

Actually this is what some people believe as reencarnation.

The scientist got a Nobel price for this RNA.

This is it fellows, there is no reencarnation...
    Fascinating. This sounds like as much hocus pocus as any other rebirth story. Its an hypothesis thats logical but its not a tested, proven theory.

My point is that if this is all it takes to rebut the Buddhist notion of rebirth then just about anything can be declared true.
  • B5CB5C Veteran
    Howdy,

RNA ( ribonucleic acid ) The sequence of nucleotides allows RNA to encode genetic information. All cellular organisms use messenger RNA (mRNA) to carry the genetic information that directs the synthesis of proteins.

In some cases this code opens and the person starts to see hundred years before what his/her ancesters have done...

This is just the information belonging to his/her ancesters... Not to himself or to herself.

Actually this is what some people believe as reencarnation.

The scientist got a Nobel price for this RNA.

This is it fellows, there is no reencarnation...
    I think someone has been playing too much Assassin's Creed.

• No offense. Its his wish what he wants from that buddhas actions he wants for himself. Whats wrong in that? It can only create merit.
  • I think wishing creates the thought or seed that propel us. To better hieghts.
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    No offense. Its his wish what he wants from that buddhas actions he wants for himself. Whats wrong in that? It can only create merit.
    Who is he, I don't understand who you're referring to here.
  • Well there are many dieties that seekers go to to feed off there deeds in times of trouble. I believe so there actions may help them thru the hardships.
  • I don't think its really feed. But more something to inpire them.
  • Assassins creed should be a movie franchise...
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Yeah.. watch this space... someone somewhere....
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    edited February 2012

How do you know we "are nothing before birth"?? Where is the peer reviewed article documenting the evidence that "we are nothing before birth"? That IS an extraordinary claim, itself, and yes it requires evidence! The idea that "we only have one life" is also an extraordinary claim.

• "we are nothing before birth"? That IS an extraordinary claim, itself, and yes it requires evidence! The idea that "we only have one life" is also an extraordinary claim.
    Interesting perspective, Seeker. You tell it! :)

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran

How do you know we "are nothing before birth"?? Where is the peer reviewed article documenting the evidence that "we are nothing before birth"? That IS an extraordinary claim, itself, and yes it requires evidence! The idea that "we only have one life" is also an extraordinary claim.

I agree, Seeker. To make a definitive claim either way is folly. No one alive knows.