Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

It Annoys Me and I Know it Shouldn't

Comments

• personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    What about soccer? You Brits call it football for some reason. Don't you know that football is played with pads and a helmet?

Throw another shrimp on the barbie while you're at it mate. :buck:

PS: This is a sarcastic impression of an ignorant American.
  • haha, I personally dislike soccer, football whatever you want to call it. I actually had a dream about it last night funnily enough. But anyway, soccer or football was around way before american football. Put a shrimp on the barbie, are you an aussi? lol. Banter is fun, I miss it. I don't get to have banter here as my partner does not understand the notion of banter in communication terms, and my thai friends, well it just is not the same.
    Put a shrimp on the barbie, are you an aussi? lol.
    No it was meant as an ignorance of the difference between Australia and Britain.
  • Yea sarcasm often fails on the internet, especially with me. Nice try though. But, you did make me hungry! Go to the dairy queen for me yea? :thumbsup:
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    'American' football is actually an offshoot of our British 'rugby', and as we say, it's a game played by guys with odd-shaped balls.... :p

...Just as baseball is an offshoot from our scholastic game of rounders,
    and basketball is an offshoot of our game, netball.
    Good gracious, can't you Americans come up with a single idea of your own?? :D
  • lmao!! I just realized all the new places like new york, new jersey, new hampshire, new brunswick etc. Obviously the settlers missed home, dunno whym, it sucks :p
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    I expect it's places they all originally came from, and as at that time, America was definitely British territory, it became home from home........
    Notice there's no place called 'andimproved'.....
  • They just weren't very creative with names.
    Why be creative when you have perfectly good names for the place already?
    They weren't trying to re-invent the wheel... they were establishing a new colony in the New World.... so everything was 'new'.....
  • lmao, it is interesting though, how a country can arise in fewer than 300 years and dominate the world. But, I fear that its demise may come as quick as its arise. But yes federica I can see how people from say york would settle and name it new york etc. There are about 4-5 bristols if I am not mistaken in the USA, (my hometown in the UK), and federica may get the joke, 4-5 bristols, a-pardon me!
    4 maybe,
    6 I could understand.
    but.... 5?!
  • lol, yes, you get the idea. 4-6 will work unless some surgeon has done something horribly wrong :wtf: BTW I don't have a bristolian accent THANK GOD! woah, christian moment, anyway, I spent many a year in Bath THANK GOD :bowdown:
    lmao!! I just realized all the new places like new york, new jersey, new hampshire, new brunswick etc. Obviously the settlers missed home, dunno whym, it sucks :p
    Good point. I think from now on I'm going to refer to them as simply York, Jersey, etc. and refer to the towns in the UK as Old York, Old Jersey, etc. ;)
  • You could do that if you so wish, if you were to ever visit them you may encounter a few issues :p But yes, they are the older versions of a quaint time, something lost in relocation. Anyway, these are all labels, like tom, or federica, or justin, they are not permanent.
  • To add, I would love to visit new york obviously, but prefer to live in york, I would love to visit new jersey, but prefer to live in jersey. From what I can gather, the majorty of people in new jersey wear makeup so they look like the sand tone of that of old jersey...lol
  • possibilitiespossibilities PNW, WA State Veteran
    lmao, it is interesting though, how a country can arise in fewer than 300 years and dominate the world. But, I fear that its demise may come as quick as its arise.
    Yes, look at the former British Empire :-) -- even more amazing given the tiny island that spawned all this growth.
  • lmao, it is interesting though, how a country can arise in fewer than 300 years and dominate the world. But, I fear that its demise may come as quick as its arise.
    Yes, look at the former British Empire :-) -- even more amazing given the tiny island that spawned all this growth.
    Yes IMO this was a really dark period, small island yes, but they had history and they were not ethical to say the least. If any nation tried to act in the same way today, I would be sickened. I am not proud of what britain has accomplished, as I have said in other threads, I am only 1/4 english by blood, but I am aware of what has happened. It is the way it is now, we are the ones to make the next stepping stones, so lets make them together...

• The Americans got rid of all the crap we don't need in the English language and made it more functional and practical like they did with most things...dual carriageway? I mean come on! They're for cars now not horses. Language evolves like everything else...if it didn't we would all still be speaking the 'proper' way of speaking English hundreds of years ago...thine, thee and ye olde etc. Thank god for the Yanks. When I go home to Ireland a lot of things just sound odd to me now. Sat-Nav...lol. Why do we need a U in color and labor etc?
  • That is given, I even mentioned that as a positive, but 'buddha' and 'buddhism' as booooodhism' and boooddha', hmmm doesn't really sound right if you catch my driff.
    Oh I dunno.... it wasn't all bad.....
    that's how we got pyjamas, jodhpurs, kedgeree, curry, chutneys, tea.....
  • possibilitiespossibilities PNW, WA State Veteran
    That is given, I even mentioned that as a positive, but 'buddha' and 'buddhism' as booooodhism' and boooddha', hmmm doesn't really sound right if you catch my driff.
    Tom, b u dd a sounds equally odd to me. I am not even a native English speaker and yet have an American accent that most Americans find more or less flawless. Like someone said earlier - you just end up talking like everyone else around you -- EXCEPT the former Brits who stick with their pronunciation no matter what and no matter how long they have lived in the US. :nyah:

From what I can gather, the majorty of people in new jersey wear makeup so they look like the sand tone of that of old jersey...lol
    We have lots of high culture here in the US :rolleyes:

edited February 2012
    The Americans got rid of all the crap we don't need in the English language and made it more functional and practical like they did with most things...dual carriageway?
    why do you call them freeways if you have to pay to use them? huh?
    I mean come on! They're for cars now not horses.
    car power is measured in horsepower... and i own a Ferrari, (which is a one-horse car) so i take issue there....
    Language evolves like everything else...if it didn't we would all still be speaking the 'proper' way of speaking English hundreds of years ago...thine, thee and ye olde etc.
    I believe the Amish still use some of that kind of terminology.
    We only use that in theatres.
    Thank god for the Yanks. When I go home to Ireland a lot of things just sound odd to me now. Sat-Nav...lol. Why do we need a U in color and labor etc?
    Sat-Nav is short for Satellite Navigation.
    America uses more abbreviations and acronyms than any other country I know...
    we need a u in 'color' and 'labor' to differentiate these words from the american terms, otherwise people might think we're colonials.

One of HHDL's teachings he mentioned that he was attracted to the British accent. He kind of sat up straight, puffed himself out and joked blah, blah, blah in a proper British way. I found it very funny.
    I can't sit in a room with people with specific accents without starting to speak like them within a very short period of time.... I don't deliberately do it, and I never do it to take the mickey... it just.... happens. Put me in a room with a bunch of aussies, and i'd fit right into Home and Away.... !
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran

@zombiegirl...in the north, my Texas accent gets me a cosmopolitan with a whiskey chaser.
    Jealous! In a small town in Texas, I did do a shot in a podunk lesbian bar called a 'wet pu$$y' though. It made me laugh.
  • "why do you call them freeways if you have to pay to use them? huh?"

you only pay tolls on a turnpike

"Sat-Nav is short for Satellite Navigation.
    America uses more abbreviations and acronyms than any other country I know... "

I have no issue with abbreviations, i think they are great. Sat-nav just sounds odd to me. GPS sounds cooler.

It all depends where you live. The Americans think the Brits have really funny ways of saying stuff and vice versa. I tend to like the entire 'American Way' better.
  • It is simply rediculous to even allow oneself to get worked up over how people say things. It is a mark of culture that someone can't just turn off, even if they are told by another culture that it is wrong or disagreeable. If I were to start spelling things in the British way, I would've gotten bad marks on papers in school. If I were to start pronouncing things the British way, people would think that I was just trying to be cool or weird or different. .. just like you think Americans are trying to be when they say "boodha"

TOMATOES
    TOMAHTOES
    @Amelia... you do realise this is all just a load of fun, and we're really not serious about any of this..... right?
    I mean, I'm as British as they come, and I'm moderating on a USA-born forum?
    Ironic?
  • What about a room full of cowgirls and roughnecks? Could we get ya to say " flava' instead of flavour .... could we get ya to ride a mechanical bull and go ' mudding' in a jacked up old Ford.
    it's like dune surfing in Dubai, but with mud and watah....you get an honory cow girl hat and red devil boots.
    I can't sit in a room with people with specific accents without starting to speak like them within a very short period of time.... I don't deliberately do it, and I never do it to take the mickey... it just.... happens. Put me in a room with a bunch of aussies, and i'd fit right into Home and Away.... !
  • The first time I ever left the state of Calif was when I was 17 after joining the Air Force... I was in Tech School in Mississippi and made a friend who introduced himself as Mac, and we hung out often and I even went home with him on a break somewhere in the woods of Alabama. Anyways, it wasn't till much later that I learned his name was actually Mike. I often wondered if he ever thought I was making fun of his accent by calling him Mac.

I also got a kick out of Mike's brother who informed me that I talk like people on TV :)
  • What about a room full of cowgirls and roughnecks? Could we get ya to say " flava' instead of flavour .... could we get ya to ride a mechanical bull and go ' mudding' in a jacked up old Ford.
    it's like dune surfing in Dubai, but with mud and watah....you get an honory cow girl hat and red devil boots.
    I don't see a problem to why not

:D
  • "You damn Brits! (Waving 12gadge shot gun) got off ma prop'tie. "

Lol...
  • :lol::lol: :screwy: splendid
  • 'American' football is actually an offshoot of our British 'rugby', and as we say, it's a game played by guys with odd-shaped balls.... :p

...Just as baseball is an offshoot from our scholastic game of rounders,
    and basketball is an offshoot of our game, netball.
    Good gracious, can't you Americans come up with a single idea of your own?? :D
    Three words :

GEORGE BUSH, JUNIOR

or is it juniour?
  • lmao, good one.
  • Um, I do not think that any culture can be put into a group and therfore say that any one person from that culture has this or that trate. But a lot of Americans are ignorant to other cultures due to the sheer size of the country. I don't know, maybe subconsciously it could be the reaosn. I should just accept it for what it is, I am not going to be able to exactly change an entire culture into saying a word in the way other people may say it :p
    I can umbly say that I am ignant of British culture. :)
  • Without googling anything, do you know who the current prime minister of the UK is? I am pretty sure a lot of Americans do not know the answer to this. The president of the US is known to have the most power in the world, so it is easy to so why.
  • edited February 2012
    Without googling anything, do you know who the current prime minister of the UK is?
    Stephen Harper!

Oh wait, wrong country.
  • LMAO

• lol love it, if only he could switch between accents at the same time, that would be the cherry on the cake. Make me chuckle though haha. Good find :thumbsup:
  • Is the prime minister um
    um
    Um
    ..Simon cowel
  • Concrete buddha doesn't go through language.
  • I can't sit in a room with people with specific accents without starting to speak like them within a very short period of time.... I don't deliberately do it, and I never do it to take the mickey... it just.... happens. Put me in a room with a bunch of aussies, and i'd fit right into Home and Away.... !
    Oh my, I do that too! I have to watch out for it because then I could sound like I am making fun of them. The one accent I cannot quite get but would love to is the midwestern US one that my grandma and my uncle sound like. They say Missouri like 'mizurra'. I want to record my grandma while she is still around, but at 88 she is going strong.

My kids affect accents randomly. We are on English ones right now. Their phone messages are in British (okay I am sure they are bad) accents. I lapse into a French accent whenever I attempt Spanish. The kids laugh at me, sigh. I did childcare for the computer class we offer parents at a school and all 20 kids were Spanish speaking. Next time I am going to study and practice more.

• @Alison, no lol, not silly Simon, it is David Cameron. @Aheerdt that sounds like a lot of fun you got going on there. I am pretty bad at putting on accents, the welsh accent is pretty hard IMO.
  • @ThailandTom, fun is one thing we tend to have around here. Sometimes it gets pretty crazy but never a dull moment. Besides the accents we have the creative projects shredded across the floor (sewing and drawing etc), creative cooking when the funds get low, occassional vegetarianism followed by bacon cravings, and 2 of my kids have taken vows of silence at one point (mostly because the family interrupts too much, not a spiritual reason at 10)
  • Sounds like you have a really nice family and that you enjoy being aparent a whole lot, a good one at that. I wish you and your family well :)
    I can umbly say that I am ignant of British culture. :)
    I can honestly say - so are most British.
    when you live in a country called the United kingdom where the British national dish is declared to be chicken tikka masala - you'll see why......

• lol, Then go to India and see how an actual tikka dish is made and served. See how many obese Indians you can find as well whilst you are at it.