Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

favourite words... in any language

federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky...Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
edited March 2012 in General Banter
i was prompted by a word @ThailandTom used in another thread...

'slumber'...

to start this idle chatter thread....

the word 'slumber' is actually beautiful, to me, but of course, it's never heard in everyday conversation, it's so poetic....
What words ring beautifully in your ears, and you'd like to hear more, but seem to have fallen by the wayside?
In these days of fast communication, and 'txt-spk', how do you think we should preserve the beauty of the language you usually converse in, and maintain its beautiful poetic resonance?

In Italian, I love the word "Argento" though again, you rarely hear the word 'Argent', which is a poetic English form for 'silver'.....
And the word - 'Dunque' (pronounced 'doon-kweh') which can mean, 'right', 'well now', or even 'so, to begin'....)

what word?
Which language? (with translation, please!)

Comments

• ThailandTomThailandTom Veteran
    edited March 2012
    In Italian I like the word 'ragazza' in Enbglish I am fond of many words, but I guess if I had to choose one it would be 'heckler' lol. In thai most probably a phrase which translates to a word kinf of 'som nom na' which means too right so, or you desrve it lol.
  • Pizzas good... I like pizza...
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited March 2012
    but these are everyday words.
    I have heard the word 'heckler' a million times in comedy stand-up shows, and as for 'ragazza'.... 'nuff said!
    I'm talking specifically about archaic and lyrical words that sound beautiful and deserve to be heard more.....

READ THE OP PROPERLY, GUYS!!! :D
  • Okay how about cobbler, ravish, tinky-winkle
  • sombre also, seldom, qualm, I could go on here federica lol
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran

I'm talking specifically about archaic and lyrical words that sound beautiful and deserve to be heard more.....

READ THE OP PROPERLY, GUYS!!! :D
    Just wondering, are "argento" and "dunque" not commonly used in Italian?

For me, "Resonant" has not exactly fallen to the wayside, but it's not exactly used a lot. It makes me think of a warm echo (if an echo can feel "warm") in a cavernous room. I like it.
    "Illuminate" is also another word I like. Brings to mind soft, glowing light that permeates the darkest dark, yet not blindingly so.

In German, I like "und so weiter." It's commonly abbreviated to "usw." It has the equivalent meaning of "et cetera," literally "and so it goes on."

In Mandarin, "Zěnmeyàng" (怎麼樣) is a word/phrase I like, mainly because of the sound. It basically translates to "what do you think."

I can't think of any more, but I'm sure I have a bunch more I'm fond of.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Just wondering, are "argento" and "dunque" not commonly used in Italian?
    you know what?
    Of course they are!
    Silly me!
    Ok. words we love in other languages, but words which have also seemingly fallen into disuse, or rare use.

(She said, just edging the goalposts out a leeeetle bit..... :D )
  • I don't knwo what you want anymore federica, this relationship is over! :bawl: Don't try crawling back when everything has crumbled aorund you, these doors are far from ajar, CLOSED!
  • Thai - 'hoooop-back' (shut your mouth)

hither has a kind of romatic sense to it, "come hither dalring" lol.

I like to sometimes use the word 'wanning' in the sense, 'the wanning sun'
    ajar! there's another one!
    I use 'whence' a lot....
  • ajar, I do not know this meaning, but in thai 'aja' means maybe.

absurd I like, also brutish and I know the Italian as well ;)
  • ThailandTomThailandTom Veteran
    edited March 2012
    I use 'whence' a lot....
    I like hence a lot too. Forgot that one.
  • How about cuttler? SPare me some clutterler me brother!
  • I like chaos and fiasco.
  • Mien - A person's look or manner, indicating their character or mood.

He had a peaceful mien.
  • One word I often use which usually raises an eyebrow or two is reckon.
    I reckon it wouldn't be odd if I lived in the southern USA but here in Michigan it's not a word you often hear. Funny thing is I'm not even sure how it entered my vocabulary.
    It comes originally from the word reconnaître - to recognise - which is French.
  • reconnaître - That's nice. I'm going to try to incorporate that into conversation today.

Meander - 1. to proceed by or take a winding or indirect course: The stream meandered through the valley.
    2. to wander aimlessly; ramble: The talk meandered on.
  • ZeroZero Veteran

what word?
    Anent, sanguine, pilgarlic... back in circulation!!
  • ToshTosh Veteran
    edited March 2012
    Said with a tempo:

Choto-matte-kudasai

(It was said to me as a kid, often, when I went to Japan; it means 'slow down please!'; the phrase has always stuck with me)
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    @Kangaroo took one of mine, reckon. The other one I like is fixin', as in I'm fixin' to get my haircut or he's fixin' for a fight.
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    In German, bestimmt and Feuerzeug. In English, tallywacker.
  • Lately I've been thinking that the word "fickle" isn't used nearly as much as it should be.
    Lately I've been thinking that the word "fickle" isn't used nearly as much as it should be.
    ... as in, "the fickle finger of fate," perhaps?
  • Moist
  • Moist
    I was going to say moist also. It's one of those words that sounds like what it describes. The word moist just sounds moist.
  • DaftChrisDaftChris Spiritually conflicted. Not of this world. Veteran
    edited March 2012
    I really like "Nacht" and "Morgen"; German for "night" and "morning", respectively.

And, for some reason, I really like the word "sto". Which means "what" in many Slavic languages; most notably Russian
  • celestial, lunar, astral, proliferating
  • Moist
    Oh I hate moist, even when talking about moist towlettes

I love 'le fromage' in French (cheese) and the title to Where the Wild Things Are, "Max et les Maximonstres"

In Danish aebelskiver and vinebred (food words)

edited March 2012
    courting - as in 'hanging out with a new squeeze'..... sounds so much more dignified!

Schadenfreude.

hyperbole. (which i used to think, as a child, was pronounced 'hyperbowl'....:D )

Punctilious.

pulchritude.

crepuscular.

comely.
  • crepuscular.
    One of my favorite words, too!
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    crepuscular.
    I had to look that one up. "Crepuscular animals are those that are active primarily during twilight, that is during dawn and dusk." :)
  • edited March 2012
    I love 'le fromage' in French (cheese)...
  • IronRabbitIronRabbit Veteran
    edited March 2012
    bonnie

carfuffle

bairn

canny

palaver

lad

lass

wee

dram

gloaming

All of Broad Scots origin - used sort of commonly in modern English - some more in King's English. Of these "gloaming" is my favorite.

Other Broad Scots favorites not so common at all - except maybe to Aberdonians:

bletherskite

clishmaclaver

argie-bargie

bahookie

collieshangie

countermacious

flumgummerie

whigmaleerie

With words like these influencing Old English it is easier to imagine some of the origins of words like:

balderdash

thingamajig

gobbledegook

thingamabob

jabberwockey

watchamacallit

doohickey

and don't forget doodgiemaflip....

Conglomerate....

sounds like a high-throat impediment.....
    and another....

Vicissitude....
  • how about...

muckraker

bailiwick

euphony

conundrum

heebie-jeebie
  • Spotted dick
  • bunghole
    bunghole's not a word!

that's a compound!

(It sounds rude, too..... :D )
  • IronRabbitIronRabbit Veteran
    edited March 2012
    It does sound rude, doesn't it? In an urban dictionary - it is rude....

However, it is a word: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bunghole

Howd on a wee meenit - Spotted Dick doesn't sound rude?????

Eating a spotted dick doesn't sound obscene????

Touche!
    yes.but in a culinary way, so it doesn't count.

:crazy:
    bunghole's not a word!

that's a compound!

(It sounds rude, too..... :D )

OK ... how about asshole?

PS. Sorry, I couldn't resist. Please delete if you think there are tender ears about.

I don't think it's the 'ears' we need to worry about..... :rolleyes: :D
  • How did we get from an opening in a wine barrel to the end of the alimentary canal?

Cheeky.

• ginabginab Veteran
    courting - as in 'hanging out with a new squeeze'..... sounds so much more dignified!

Schadenfreude.

hyperbole. (which i used to think, as a child, was pronounced 'hyperbowl'....:D )

Punctilious.

pulchritude.

crepuscular.

comely.
    I agree with Schadenfreude, for which there is no equivalent word in many other languages.

I get riled up when people say something is "really unique". Either it's unique or it isn't!!
    :eek2:
    edited March 2012
    Ok... riled up?
    Don't get me started....!

Repeat again....

No, if you're repeating, you don't need to add 'again'....

Yellow Jaundice....
    'Jaundice' MEANS yellow.....

'The Hoi Poloi....
    'Hoi' MEANS 'The'.....

And i hate "Here Here" when it should be "Hear Hear!"

Sheeesh.....! I am SUCH a 'grammar-bitch'.....!

And as for words that have no translation, I love the word in Italian;

Merenda.

if you look it up in an English/Italian dictionary, you'll get the definition, 'snack'.
    Ok.....
    ....But then, look up the word 'snack' in the English section, and you'll read the definition, 'Spuntino'.

what?

That's correct - a snack, is a 'spuntino'.

So - what is 'Merenda'?

Merenda is a specific small meal given to children, usually, between the time they get home from school, and the time the family sits down to dinner, because Italian families tend to eat quite late, so it kind of tides the children over an empty-stomach period...
    it's usually a panino....
    (No! NOT panini! Panini is plural! It's paninO for one, and for more than one, it's PaninI! Get it!?)

... with salame ....
    (No! NOT Salami! Salami is.... oh, as above!!)

....or Nutella, and a glass of milk....

adults have merenda too but usually, with just a glass of mineral water.

• possibilitiespossibilities PNW, WA State Veteran
    bellyaching

^^ I first came across this term while listening to a baseball commentary :-) -- (Quit yer bellyachin')

mesmerized

gauche