Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Modern Dali Lama(s) vs Buddha

edited March 2012 in Buddhism Today
Is it just me, or is there a pretty big difference when comparing the two?
The information that is said about buddha reminds me so much of the bible,
where rules are strict and unforgiving, things are always in copious amounts and grandiose, and the cynic in me says exaggerated.
My theory is because it got passed by word of mouth?
And the modern dalai lamas seem to be the opposite. Everything they say is so believable, and forgiving.
Agree, Disagree?

Comments

• DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited March 2012
    Who do you mean by "the modern dalai lamas"? There's only one Dalai Lama currently, the 14th. The DL tries to make Buddhism amenable to modern values, to the extent possible. And what do you mean by "strict and unforgiving rules"? The precepts are far from strict, they're not even rules, really, but guidelines. Maybe there's some degree of misunderstanding behind your question...?

Great prophets and teachers do tend to have their words twisted over time. It happened to Jesus, it happened to the Buddha. But the basics still work: the 4 Noble Truths, mindfulness, compassion, wisdom, the Eightfold Path.
  • edited March 2012
    the modern dalai lamas , (starting with the current and so on) as in the more modern they get the more the traits I speak of seem to flourish.
    In the another thread it was mentioned that buddha banished a follower who had told an executioner to kill compassionately with a single blow,
    and in the same thread, there was a quote from the 14th dalai lama saying how it is reasonable to fight back, in the context of firearms. Which we all know are meant to kill.
    Its not that I dont like either, I just have always thought this and wanted to know if others did or didnt.
  • zidanguszidangus Veteran
    edited March 2012
    The Dali lama and the Buddha, to me there is no comparison to make. The Buddha taught the path that all Buddhists walk including the Dali Lama, if you read the Buddhas core teachings there is vast differences to that taught in the bible. Moreover, the methods of practicing and studying the teachings are also vastly different to that of the bible. It is true that the Buddha is often thought of as god like, especially by lay followers in asian countries. However, the Buddha did not want to be worshiped as a god or saviour. Plus I am sure that a lot of the followers of tibetan buddhism think that the Dali Lama can perform, god-like actions such as being reincarnated.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited March 2012
    @alternajay This is a great question. I've seen someone post a passage in the sutras in which the Buddha does say self-defense is ok, but not to the point of killing. The Dalai Lama goes farther, and says killing is ok, depending on the circumstance. He's said that if he had come across Hitler, he would've killed him, the implication being that doing so would have spared thousands, tens of thousands of lives. The DL used to say that killing is never permissible. So he's changed his position over the decades.

Be aware, jay, that the DL has also said and written that sex is for procreation only. But he's also said that given the overpopulation of the Earth, birth control is ok. (Sex for pleasure leads to attachment, see, and away from the ending of suffering, that's the rationale.) He's said that gay sex is not kosher, but when speaking to a gay audience, he's said it's ok as long as no one is harmed. So the DL has many sides. I just thought I'd point that out. He has a strict side, and a mellow side.
    edited March 2012
    Plus when you say the rules are unforgiving and strict. Really to me there are only four rules and they are the noble truths, if you can grasp these even just a little bit, then you are truly on the right path.
  • edited March 2012
    Plus when you say the rules are unforgiving and strict. Really to me there are only four rules and that is the noble truths, if you can grasp these even just a little bit, then you are truly on the right path.
    How does the number of rules influence their severity? I think if you follow the rules completely, that's hard. And thats what I think buddha wanted. And the DL is more of do what you can, and lax
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited March 2012
    How does the number of rules influence their severity?
    It doesn't, and they're not rules. The precepts aren't rules, nor are the Noble Truths. The Noble Truths are just an acknowledgement of reality.

Person may have been implying: simplify. Keep it to the 4 Nobles. That's everything in a nutshell.

• genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    edited March 2012
    There is nothing like death to elevate or denigrate someone who was once alive. Death seems to be the ultimate cultivator of some pretty inappropriate bs. And it's not just the high-profile who receive this treatment. Your grandmother may have urged you "never to speak ill of the dead" and for some reason, no one asks the obvious question: "Why?" Speaking ill or speaking well of the dead ... both have one great advantage: The dead person is not around to defend him- or herself.

Poor old Gautama. Poor old Jesus. Poor old Gandhi. Poor old Hitler.... and that's not to mention Lizzy O'Toole who lived down the block and died last week.

My view is that it is all up to us whether or not we decide to credit the abundant bs.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited March 2012
    I think people who say not to speak ill of the dead are people who believe the deceased may still be hanging around in spirit. :eek2: You never know what they might do to you from the Beyond.
  • How does the number of rules influence their severity?
    It doesn't, and they're not rules. The precepts aren't rules, nor are the Noble Truths. The Noble Truths are just an acknowledgement of reality.

Why are you quoting me? The premise of the noble truths being rules didnt come from me.
    I still mentioned that buddhisms has rules in the original message, so I still stand corrected, but I was just quoting zidangus.

• SabreSabre Veteran
    Because we are our own authority, there are no rules in Buddhism, only practices. So, for example not killing is a practice. Not lying is a practice. Killing and lying etc are not forbidden; making them forbidden would be suppression and that's not what Buddhism is about. It's about learning, and about recognition of our mind-patterns.

So the question is not, what does Buddhism say about this-and-that, but how do you feel about it? Would you kill out of self defense? If so, why? And if not, why not? Investigating those motives, that's important; not blindly following rules, that will teach you nothing.

The Buddha was a very forgiving fellow. Just one example: There is this sutta about when he met murderers that were sent to kill him, he embraced them within his sangha.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Alternate Jay, I've been waiting to find out what your real agenda is. Or am I mistaken?
  • edited March 2012
    Because we are our own authority, there are no rules in Buddhism, only practices. So, for example not killing is a practice. Not lying is a practice. Killing and lying etc are not forbidden; making them forbidden would be suppression and that's not what Buddhism is about. It's about learning, and about recognition of our mind-patterns.

So the question is not, what does Buddhism say about this-and-that, but how do you feel about it? Would you kill out of self defense? If so, why? And if not, why not? Investigating those motives, that's important; not blindly following rules, that will teach you nothing.

The Buddha was a very forgiving fellow. Just one example: There is this sutta about when he met murderers that were sent to kill him, he embraced them within his sangha.
    My beliefs are my beliefs, how could they be someone else's?
    I simply noticed a contradiction between what are generally regarded as the authorities on Buddhism.
    I didn't say i believed or followed in one or the other blindly.

• @vinlyn To answer your question I would need to know what my fake agenda is supposed to be.

• SabreSabre Veteran
    Just saying what Buddhism is and why I think the term 'rules' is not applicable; and as a result why I don't see the differences you see.

I was talking in general here. I was not intending to be personal. Sorry if it came across differently.

With metta,
    Sabra
    edited March 2012
    @vinlyn To answer your question I would need to know what my fake agenda is supposed to be.

We all have agendas.

BTW -- there is nothing wrong or bad about having an agenda. Buddha had an agenda. HHDL has one or more agendas.

• Interesting side note : here are some of the ancient figures who were considered gods, all predating christ.

Guatama Buddha : born of the virgin Maya around 600bc.

Dionysus : Greek god, born of a virgin in a stable and turned water to wine.

Quirrnus : early Roman saviour, born of a virgin.

Attis : born of a virgin nama in Phrygia 200 BC

Adonis : Babylonian god -born of virgin Ishtar.

Krishna : Hindu god- born of the virgin devalued in 1200 BC

Zoroaster : born of a virgin 1500- 1200 BC

Mithras: born of a virgin in a stable on December 25 600 BC. His resurrection is celebrated in Easter.
    The Dali lama and the Buddha, to me there is no comparison to make. The Buddha taught the path that all Buddhists walk including the Dali Lama, if you read the Buddhas core teachings there is vast differences to that taught in the bible. Moreover, the methods of practicing and studying the teachings are also vastly different to that of the bible. It is true that the Buddha is often thought of as god like, especially by lay followers in asian countries. However, the Buddha did not want to be worshiped as a god or saviour. Plus I am sure that a lot of the followers of tibetan buddhism think that the Dali Lama can perform, god-like actions such as being reincarnated.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited March 2012
    Sabre was giving an opinion, not making an accusation, jay. You asked for opinions.

Why are you quoting me? The premise of the noble truths being rules didnt come from me.
    I still mentioned that buddhisms has rules in the original message, so I still stand corrected, but I was just quoting zidangus.
    ?? :scratch:
    You're contradicting yourself, and zidangus said nothing about the number of rules influencing their severity, you drew that inference from Zid's post. Are you having trouble following the discussion? We're just trying to address your OP and subsequent questions. Getting a hostile vibe, here. We're just trying to help. You posted a good topic.
  • @vinlyn To answer your question I would need to know what my fake agenda is supposed to be.

We all have agendas.

BTW -- there is nothing wrong or bad about having an agenda. Buddha had an agenda. HHDL has one or more agendas.

I never said there was a good or bad? You asked what my real agenda was and that implies I have a fake one, which I didn't know of.
    I will answer your question even though you haven't told me what my fake one is supposed to be.
    I post on NB to learn. I want to learn peoples opinions and why. I have an agenda to learn. Please elaborate because I think there is some confusion here I can solve.
  • OK OK OK. I never meant for this to come off as hostile.
    I just want people to understand what I meant. Im sorry.
  • ^^this I why I want emoticons..Jay, I promise vinlyn is quiet harmless and loveable. He won't bite
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    Yes, emoticons help. It can be easy to misunderstand people when we can't hear tone of voice and see facial expression. ok, deep breath everyone, and start over? Friends?
  • @sabre an everyone Jay is new...just getting his/ her bearings and we had an earlier rift with chatter earlier so it's alright...

Start again.
  • Virtual hugs.
  • edited March 2012
    friends!
    so back on topic, to clarify, @Dakini and @sabre You both are 100% right on my wrong terminology on my original post. Thank you for setting me straight.
    this is why I posted, to learn!
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    friends!
    so back on topic, to clarify, @Dakini and @sabre You both are 100% right on my wrong terminology on my original post. Thank you for setting me straight.
    this is why I posted, to learn!
    OK, so where does that leave us, regarding the discussion topic? Because I still think this is a good topic.

I think if you read the sutras, you'll find passages that seem very strict, and others in which the Buddha displays understanding of human failings, and kindness. Buddhism can come across as Puritanical in some ways--no attachment allowed, is it ok to wear make-up, is it ok to dress fashionably, or is that attachment, is it ok to have a relationship and marry, or are we all supposed to be monastics, etc. etc. So it can be confusing.

• edited March 2012
    OK, so where does that leave us, regarding the discussion topic? Because I still think this is a good topic.

I think if you read the sutras, you'll find passages that seem very strict, and others in which the Buddha displays understanding of human failings, and kindness. Buddhism can come across as Puritanical in some ways--no attachment allowed, is it ok to wear make-up, is it ok to dress fashionably, or is that attachment, is it ok to have a relationship and marry, or are we all supposed to be monastics, etc. etc. So it can be confusing.

There is no denying that, but in my original post I was talking about overall, and in general. Sure there are examples of perceived lax and strict behavior, but which one is predominately associated with either person? Or are you saying its equal? In which case again, im an idiot, which wouldn't surprise me. Can't find an emoticon for embarrassed?

• DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited March 2012
    Yeah, we need a blush emoticon.

Mod Edit:
    What, like this one? :o

I guess my view is they're both a mixed bag, the DL and the Buddha. But the DL giggles a lot more, especially when he's in the West. Watch Al Jazeera--they're good at catching him during annoyed or angry moments.
  • I kinda wonder if the Dali lama knows he's the Dali lama...I love his giggles.
  • SileSile Veteran
    edited March 2012
    All due respect, I'm not sure that in this day and age digital photography can be termed "catching" moments. It's simply which of your hundred or thousand frames you choose to use, or if taken from a digital video, where you choose to freeze the frame. Al Jazeera is a bit jaded toward any "atheist" religion (Buddhism is considered atheist by Muslims). So, any western photographer could also choose an awkward or "angry" looking microsecond of HHDL footage; I think most don't because unless you're trying to make the point that "the Dalai Lama is an angry guy," it doesn't serve a purpose and definitely doesn't represent the spirit of most of his public appearances.
  • SileSile Veteran
    I think the exception to this may have been in 2008, where HHDL did have a few public appearances during which he expressed (visually and verbally) more-than-usual frustration and angst at the terrible situation inside Tibet.
    edited March 2012
    Also you need to ask yourself, and this is maybe an interesting question to ask. Has the Dali Lama
    Plus when you say the rules are unforgiving and strict. Really to me there are only four rules and that is the noble truths, if you can grasp these even just a little bit, then you are truly on the right path.
    How does the number of rules influence their severity? I think if you follow the rules completely, that's hard. And thats what I think buddha wanted. And the DL is more of do what you can, and lax
    It does not influence them at all, and as Dakini said they are not rules, though I did use that word to keep my post in the context of your original post; the four noble truths are pure wisdom,
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wisdom_in_Buddhism
    which informs any one who cares to listen, why suffering exists, and how to ultimately escape from suffering.

I think for lay Buddhist, the Buddha would have been happy if you understood on a basic level the four noble truths, and not expect you to follow a strict set of monastic rules. I mean yes there are a many rules set out for Buddhist monks, and below are some examples
    http://www.buddhanet.net/e-learning/buddhistworld/layguide.htm
    but to be at a stage in which you can follow these rules with real commitment, you must be pretty far down the Buddhist path. If on the other hand you are lay, which I presume you are, then as I said a basic understanding of the four noble truths are all you really need to put the core of Buddhas teachings into practice in everyday life and to ignite the flame within you that may one day take you as far down the Buddhist path as the monks who do follow a strict set of monastic rules.

I do not know what you mean in the second part of your post, but all I can say is, I have a lot of respect for the DL, but he is not the Buddha, and if the DL says anything which contradicts what the Buddha taught in his core teachings, then I'm afraid, I will disagree with the DL every time.

edited March 2012
    You could put it this way, if you want a cool friend to hang out and have fun with, then look no further than the Dali Lama. If you want to gain a true thorough deep understanding of what brings happiness into your life and what the causes and cessation of suffering are, then look no further than the Buddha.

:D
    All this talk constantly about the Precepts not being rules. Guess it depends on how you define a precept or rule:

One source defining "precept":
    1. a rule or principle for action
    2. a guide or rule for morals; maxim

Another source of synonyms for defining "rule":
    "regulation - law - precept - reign - norm - government"
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    All due respect, I'm not sure that in this day and age digital photography can be termed "catching" moments. It's simply which of your hundred or thousand frames you choose to use, or if taken from a digital video, where you choose to freeze the frame. Al Jazeera is a bit jaded toward any "atheist" religion (Buddhism is considered atheist by Muslims). So, any western photographer could also choose an awkward or "angry" looking microsecond of HHDL footage; I think most don't because unless you're trying to make the point that "the Dalai Lama is an angry guy," it doesn't serve a purpose and definitely doesn't represent the spirit of most of his public appearances.
    I think Al Jazeera is trying to make the point that "the Dalai Lama i an angry guy". I think that's why they choose the footage they use, that's why the go backstage and harass (annoy) him before his talks, and catch him at other inopportune moments. During the crisis in 2008, Al Jazeera met with Chinese officials and gave a pro-China, anti-Tibet view of the Tibet issue.

But I like having a more well-rounded view of HHDL. A speech he gave in Japan after the crisis, when he was on his way to the US, was very forceful and frank. I like seeing him in get-tough mode.

• edited March 2012
    The Dalai Lama goes farther, and says killing is ok, depending on the circumstance. He's said that if he had come across Hitler, he would've killed him...
    definitely a transgression of the Vinaya resulting in defrocking, just as recommending to kill Osama Bin Laden. the Vinaya calls this forgetting why one has become a monk. such statements demonstrate the difference between DL and Buddha

• DakiniDakini Veteran
    The Dalai Lama goes farther, and says killing is ok, depending on the circumstance. He's said that if he had come across Hitler, he would've killed him...
    definitely a transgression of the Vinaya resulting in defrocking, just as recommending to kill Osama Bin Laden. the Vinaya calls this forgetting why one has become a monk. such statements demonstrate the difference between DL and Buddha
    This is interesting, WallyB. It means the Secondary Bodhisattva Vows go against the Vinaya. But I've heard there are many Vinayas, depending on the school/tradition.

• SileSile Veteran
    edited March 2012
    Does anyone have the actual quote handy, about the Dalai Lama's views in killing Hitler? It does ring a bell, but in searching for it for quite a while now all l can find is dozens of Chinese sites accusing him of supporting Hitler, and a few criticizing a statement where he said he had compassion even for Hitler.
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    Does anyone have the actual quote handy, about the Dalai Lama's views in killing Hitler? It does ring a bell, but in searching for it for quite a while now all l can find is dozens of Chinese sites accusing him of supporting Hitler, and a few criticizing a statement where he said he had compassion even for Hitler.
    I seem to remember him saying it to at some point, but in googling for it I came up with the same stuff except for a solo forum post where someone claims he said it as well.

I also don't ever recall him saying anything about killing someone else in self defense. Not that he didn't I've just never heard it so some source would also be nice about that.
  • There is a story that Shakyamuni Buddha, in a previous lifetime as a bodhisattva, killed an oarsman who was plotting to kill and rob 500 of his fellow shipmates. Out of compassion for the intended victims, and for the potential murderer who would amass bad karma, Buddha decided to take the bad karma upon himself and kill the oarsman. His motivation was pure.

Is killing ever permissible?