Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

favourite words... in any language

Comments

• personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    edited March 2012
    Sanguine

Cornucopia

Ubiquitous My freinds and I used to have a joke when we heard the word; Ubiquitous, We biquit you. :D
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    I love that it's 'pronounce' but 'pronunciation'....!
  • Okay federica you are officially a grammar geek, here is your badge and your cookie :)
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    I love the badge... but treasure the cookie....
    (I take it, as a Briton, you mean, 'biscuit'....? A word, French in origin, literally meaning 'twice cooked.....)

:p:D
  • ThailandTomThailandTom Veteran
    edited March 2012
    I love the badge... but treasure the cookie....
    (I take it, as a Briton, you mean, 'biscuit'....? A word, French in origin, literally meaning 'twice cooked.....)

:p:D
    You really have taken the biscuit there Federica. Someone needs to cool this grammar skull down, maybe set fire to a few dictionaries or something
  • Spittoon
  • Spittoon
    Or was it spatoon? Either way I loves it I does! lol grammar all good to me knowledge :D
  • possibilitiespossibilities PNW, WA State Veteran
    make believe .... just popped into my mind.... (why?)
  • in the spirit of it being fede's thread i went ahead and ran it through spell check before i posted. She might hit me with her yard stick for spelling. . . ah, screw it!

spa-tooey!
    Spittoon
    Or was it spatoon? Either way I loves it I does! lol grammar all good to me knowledge :D
  • IronRabbitIronRabbit Veteran
    edited March 2012
    Brit's have some brilliant ones..

It's monkey's outside.

Bob's your uncle.

Tickitey boo, as in "My tickety couldn't be any more boo....".

The dog's bollocks. C'mon, how could this be a good thing....

Full of beans. Here in the USA it means the same as full of sh!t... not in the UK!

Blimey, barmy, bogey, buggery, bloody and blighty for the sake of alliteration...

• zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    edited March 2012
    @federica Alright, I did some more research and found that I can read part of, Cunt, with Google Preview to get to the part I wanted. Yay.

Inga Musico says that she found the information from, "Barbara G. Walker's twenty-five-year research opus, The Women's Encyclopedia of Myths and Secrets, and found it was indeed a title, back in the day. "Cunt" is related to words from India, China, Ireland, Rome and Egypt. Such words were either titles of respect for women, priestesses and witches, or derivatives of the names of various goddesses."

Inga doesn't get into which specific ancient words were used/derivatives of cunt, but I imagine that information might be found in the book she referenced, if you're curious.
    thanks...
    I wasn't inferring it wasn't true.... i hope you understand that....
    I'm a stickler for accuracy... and it's a fascinating subject.

might pm you if i get time this week.... ;)
  • @federica Alright, I did some more research and found that I can read part of, Cunt, with Google Preview to get to the part I wanted. Yay.
    Inga Musico says that she found the information from, "Barbara G. Walker's twenty-five-year research opus, The Women's Encyclopedia of Myths and Secrets, and found it was indeed a title, back in the day. "Cunt" is related to words from India, China, Ireland, Rome and Egypt. Such words were either titles of respect for women, priestesses and witches, or derivatives of the names of various goddesses."

Inga doesn't get into which specific ancient words were used/derivatives of cunt, but I imagine that information might be found in the book she referenced, if you're curious.
    That said, you still may not want to use the word and say, "No, I'm being respectful of you as a woman". Instant Karma. Ouch.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited March 2012
    bellyaching

^^ I first came across this term while listening to a baseball commentary :-) -- (Quit yer bellyachin')

mesmerized

gauche

gas pains

beguiled

anti
    Kaulquappe
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited March 2012
    true

manly

brisk

honor

detrimental
    (honour....) :p:lol:
    (honour....)
    Makes me wonder - given this is a US based site, do you in the UK have an American spell check?
    No. I actually changed my language to English (UK) which is why I don't get the wiggly red line when I write 'counsellor'.... :)
    Word is automatically 'English US' unless you go in and change it.
    which I have done....
  • ginabginab Veteran
    bellyaching

^^ I first came across this term while listening to a baseball commentary :-) -- (Quit yer bellyachin')

mesmerized

gauche

Wow, big cultural gap between bellyaching <------> and gauche!!! LOL

• Fede, this is a good thread! Good job...I learned many words!
    Here's something word aficionados might enjoy:
    http://www.thepoke.co.uk/2011/12/23/english-pronunciation/

From the web page: "If you can pronounce correctly every word in this poem, you will be speaking English better than 90% of the native English speakers in the world.

After trying the verses, a Frenchman said he’d prefer six months of hard labour to reading six lines aloud."

• Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    there are dozens of sayings in the UK associated with equestrianism and the Navy - both activities we are hugely proud of....

but i think English is the language with the most idioms... i have not come across another language that is as lyrical or poetic...
    even though 'classic Italian is beautiful, it's got more to do with the way literature is phrased.
    Is this a reply to me?

If so, I think the difference between idioms associated with equestrianism/the Navy and the word I posted is that idioms are phrases and may have had their meanings change over time (e.g. originally an equestrian term that now is used in everyday speech). The word I posted - and clumsily explained - is understood to mean "immediately" or "right away." But if you look at the individual characters/syllables, it can be literally translated to "[getting/being] on top of a horse." It isn't an idiomatic phrase.

If not, nevermind! :p

@Invincible_summer, it is a response to you, but not necessarily in direct response to your contribution. It was more of a connective consideration....

(By the way, 'necessarily' is correctly pronounced necess-rilly,
    and definitely NOT necess-airily.)

OMG!!!
    the poem linked to by @Possibilities brings back memories! Thank you so much for posting it!
    I put my name down to attend elocution classes at my boarding school, because i love language, literature, reading, poetry.... and the elocution teacher - a formidable woman named Mrs Finnigan who looked a lot like Mrs Doubtfire but had all of the temperamental appeal of a rusty Russian BT7 tank (actually that's unkind... she was quite nice when you got to know her....) made me read that poem during my initial assessment.
    Her response was terse, abrupt and final:

"Don't be ridiculous. Your rendition was impeccable. You may go. "

Ahhh.... vem wuz de days.....

(Nice to know I can make a Frenchman squirm..... ;) )
  • ZenBadgerZenBadger Derbyshire, UK Veteran
    Catafalque
    vainglorious
    termagant
    gibbous

are all words I learned at junior school (aged about seven). At my school you were expected to use a dictionary, not wait to get spoon-fed your vocabulary at an appropriate level.
    i think I'm in love...... :o:lol:
    edited March 2012
    (I'm not sure i wholly approve of the term 'termagant' right after my post though..... !)

And by the way, the reason I sometimes put 'i' instead of 'I' or begin my sentences without a CAPITAL letter - is because my 'shift' keys have ceased to function.....)
  • Us Brits do have some burried treasures that is for sure :p You twits you!
    edited March 2012
    OK:
    This is what we have so far:
    (Omitting foreign words, phrases and terms not yet in the online Oxford English Dictionary)

Absurd
    Ajar
    Anent
    Argie-Bargie
    Astral
    Azimuth
    Bahookie
    Bailiwick
    Bairn
    Balderdash
    Balm
    Barmy
    Battleaxe
    Beguile
    Blandishment
    Bletherskite
    Blighty
    Blimey
    Bloody
    Bogey
    Bonnie
    Brisk
    Brutish
    Buggery
    Calumny
    Canny
    Carfuffle
    Catafalque
    Caterwauling
    Celestial
    Chaos
    Clandestine
    Clishmaclaver
    Cobbler
    Collieshangie
    Comely
    Conglomerate
    Conundrum
    Cornucopia
    Countermacious
    Courting
    Crepuscular
    Detrimental
    Dichotomy
    Dither
    Doohickey
    Dram
    Eponymous
    Euphony
    Festoon
    Fiasco
    Fickle
    Flabbergasted
    Flumgummerie
    Free
    Gauche
    Gibbous
    Gloaming
    Gobbledegook
    Goodly
    Hag
    Heckler
    Hence
    Hither
    Honour
    Hyperbole
    Ignominy
    Illuminate
    Lass
    Longing
    Lugubrious
    Lunar
    Manly
    Meander
    Mesmerised
    Mien
    Moist
    Muckraker
    Mugwamp
    Namby-Pamby
    Palaver
    Pilgarlic
    Plethora
    Proliferating
    Punctilious
    Pulchritude
    Qualm
    Quench
    Ravish
    Reckon
    Resonant
    Sagacious
    Sanguine
    Seldom
    Semaphore
    Slumber
    Sombre
    Spittoon
    Tallywacker
    Termagant
    Thee
    Thither
    Thou
    Tinky-Winkle
    True
    Ubiquitous
    Unctuous
    Vainglorious
    Vicissitude
    Wainscoting
    Waning
    Wee
    Wench,
    Whence
    Whigmaleerie
    Yonder

enjoy - and keep adding!
    edited March 2012
    OK:
    This is what we have so far:
    (Omitting foreign words, phrases and terms not yet in the online Oxford English Dictionary)

Absurd
    Ajar
    Anent
    Argie-Bargie
    Astral
    Azimuth
    Bahookie
    Bailiwick
    Bairn
    Balderdash
    Balm
    Barmy
    Battleaxe
    Beguile
    Blandishment
    Bletherskite
    Blighty
    Blimey
    Bloody
    Bogey
    Bonnie
    Brisk
    Brutish
    Buggery
    Calumny
    Canny
    Carfuffle
    Catafalque
    Caterwauling
    Celestial
    Chaos
    Clandestine
    Clishmaclaver
    Cobbler
    Collieshangie
    Comely
    Conglomerate
    Conundrum
    Cornucopia
    Countermacious
    Courting
    Crepuscular
    Detrimental
    Dichotomy
    Dither
    Doohickey
    Dram
    Eponymous
    Euphony
    Festoon
    Fiasco
    Fickle
    Flabbergasted
    Flumgummerie
    Free
    Gauche
    Gibbous
    Gloaming
    Gobbledegook
    Goodly
    Hag
    Heckler
    Hence
    Hither
    Honour
    Hyperbole
    Ignominy
    Illuminate
    Lass
    Longing
    Lugubrious
    Lunar
    Manly
    Meander
    Mesmerised
    Mien
    Moist
    Muckraker
    Mugwamp
    Namby-Pamby
    Palaver
    Pilgarlic
    Plethora
    Proliferating
    Punctilious
    Pulchritude
    Qualm
    Quench
    Ravish
    Reckon
    Resonant
    Sagacious
    Sanguine
    Seldom
    Semaphore
    Slumber
    Sombre
    Spittoon
    Tallywacker
    Termagant
    Thee
    Thither
    Thou
    Tinky-Winkle
    True
    Ubiquitous
    Unctuous
    Vainglorious
    Vicissitude
    Wainscoting
    Waning
    Wee
    Wench,
    Whence
    Whigmaleerie
    Yonder

Sounds like a lot of the script for Lord Of The Rings to me lol...
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    @federica I didn't read anything deeper into your inquiries. I'm just disappointed that I lost that book years ago and cannot find exactly what it was that I read (since I think it's beyond the preview). But, c'est la vie.

Has anybody said curmudgeon yet? I really like curmudgeon.
  • DandelionDandelion London Veteran
    bobble.
  • saunter, sauntered around like a brute
    edited March 2012
    Ok.
    here's the deal...I'll add the latest contributions to the list above, (Check it out everyone!) and eventually, we'll have so many, we can compile our very own dictionary right here!
    How cool is that - ?! :lol:
  • Ok.
    here's the deal...I'll add the latest contributions to the list above, (Check it out everyone!) and eventually, we'll have so many, we can compile our very own dictionary right here!
    How cool is that - ?! :lol:
    That is quite, too cool for school :cool: A list of words that never really get used, maybe we should start using some of them more and more, bring them back!
    such a plethora or words at our disposal!
    We shall all sound quite erudite...

*ching!*
    there's another one!
  • ZaylZayl Veteran
    "kvæði" (kav-ey-ya)

Faroese for Ballad, Song, Stanza, Verse, etc. Trivia fact: Faroese language is the closest language to ancient Norse ;)

I like it because in many songs I enjoy starts with "Viljið tær hoyra kvæði mítt" Which roughly translates to "Will you hear this ballad of mine"
  • lol, You really have a love for grammar and language don't you. Like my ex, she was fascinated by it all. She could speak fluently in three languages, I don't know what she is doing now exactly, but she took it at a university level.
  • zenffzenff Veteran
    such a plethora or words at our disposal!
    We shall all sound quite erudite...
    It will be In another category I hope. Erudite Banter maybe?
  • Implore is another word not often used anymore.
    @Zayl, that's beautiful...

Erudite banter sounds good... (Awfully good!) but i don't think Brian or Lincoln would go for it....
    2 common words not or barely used in the US:

cottage
    village

Can you believe it? There are no villages here, just small towns or unincorporated areas, and cottages are just small houses, or "homes" rather. Speaking of the west coast, New England may have a different tradition.
  • ZaylZayl Veteran
    edited March 2012
    @federica thanks, this song is a beautiful example of the Faroese language, which is probably my favorite language in the world. It sounds noble, refined, elegant, and beautiful all at the same time. Actual singing starts at 1:16 in the vid.

1. Viljið tær hoyra kvæði mítt,
    viljð tær orðum trúgva,
    um hann Ólav Trygvason,
    hagar skal ríman snúgva.

(chorus)
    Glymur dansur í høll,
    dans sláið ring
    Glaðir ríða Noregs menn
    til Hildar ting.

3. Knørrur varð gjørdur á Noregs landi,
    gott var í honum evni:
    sjúti alin og fýra til
    var kjølurin millum stevni

8. Har kom maður oman
    við sterkum boga í hendi:
    “ Jallurin av Ringaríki
    hann meg higar sendi. ”

10. “ Einar skalt tú nevna meg,
    væl kann boga spenna,
    Tambar eitur mín menski bogi,
    ørvar drívur at renna. ”

11. “ Hoyr tú tað, tú ungi maður,
    vilt tú við mær fara,
    tú skalt vera mín ørvargarpur
    Ormin at forsvara. ”

12. Gingu teir til strandar oman,
    ríkir menn og reystir,
    lunnar brustu og jørðin skalv:
    teir drógu knørr úr neysti.

71. Einar spenti á triða sinni,
    Ætlar jall at raka,
    tá brast strongur av stáli stinna,
    í boganum tókst at braka.

72. Allir hoyrdi strongin springa,
    kongurin seg undrar:
    “ Hvat er tað á mínum skipi,
    sum ógvuliga dundrar ? ”

73. Svaraði Einar Tambarskelvir
    kastar boga sín
    “ Nú brast Noregi úr tínum hondum,
    kongurin, harri mín ! ”

#
    Nú skal lætta ljóðið av
    eg kvøði ei longur á sinni
    nú skal taka upp annan tátt
    dreingir leggi í minnið

{English tr.}
    1. Will you hear the ballad of mine,
    Will you my words believe,
    About Olaf Tryggvasson,
    Here's how the rhyme revolves.

(chorus)
    Raucous dance in the Hall,
    Dance, form a ring,
    Gladly ride Norroway's men,
    To the Hild's[War]-Gathering† .

3. A ship was made in Norway's land,
    Goodly make was she:
    Seventy ells and four lengthwise
    The keel from [prow to] stern

8. Here comes a man down [from the hill]
    With a sturdy bow in hand:
    “ The Jarl of Ringaríki
    Has here sent me. ”

10. “ Einar shall you call me,
    Well can I stretch the bow,
    Tambar hight my manly bow,
    For striving at shooting arrows. ”

11. “ Listen here, young man,
    Will you fare away with me?
    You shall be my champion-arrower,
    The Serpent, [my longship,] to defend. ”

12. They come down on the strand,
    Doughty men and strong,
    The rails break and the earth shakes:
    They tug the ship from the shipyard.

71. Einar drew a third time,
    Meaning to strike the Jarl,
    Then burst the string of sturdy steel,
    In the bow it seemed to break.

72. All heard the string snap,
    The king said in wonder:
    “ What's that making my ship,
    Rumble so dreadfully? ”

73. Answered Einar Tambarskelvir [*Einarr Þambarskelfir] Casting the bow of his
    “ That was Norway breaking from your hand,
    King sire, lord of mine ! ”

#
    Now I will let up this song awhile,
    I'll recount not longer this time
    So I shall take up the second tale,
    And may it be remembered far and wide.
    edited March 2012
    2 common words not or barely used in the US:

cottage
    village

Can you believe it? There are no villages here, just small towns or unincorporated areas, and cottages are just small houses, or "homes" rather. Speaking of the west coast, New England may have a different tradition.
    How about hamlets? Not the cigars, but settlements smaller than a village. Thankyou secondary school geography :thumbsup:

Without googling anything and TRYING to use my memory alone, I think it goes in this order. Dwelling, hamlet, village, town, city, metropolis
  • Also @federica I forgot probably my most favourite word of all time, 'gander'. Have a gander at that then mate!
  • Mellifluous

Sapphic

Obstreperous

Meridian

Reliquary

Palindrome

Wayfarer

Moribund

Catecomb

Grimoire

• Mellifluous

Sapphic

Obstreperous

Meridian

Reliquary

Palindrome

Wayfarer

Moribund

Catecomb

Grimoire

Nice selection ;) A lot seem to roll off of the tongue like silk, still I quite enjoy saying 'gander' as it has it's own feel to it. I use it in it's slang form, but there is an actual meaning to the word which is not slang also.
    edited March 2012
    I think the list is helpful... let's learn one new word a day, its correct meaning, and try to use it 3 times during normal conversations....@ThailandTom, this should be fun for you!! :lol:

i'm adding to the list as they come in...
    Spellchecker is having a field-day....!
    (I think it's 'catacomb'....)
  • I think the list is helpful... let's learn one new word a day, its correct meaning, and try to use it 3 times during normal conversations....@ThailandTom, this should be fun for you!! :lol:

i'm adding to the list as they come in...
    Spellchecker is having a field-day....!
    (I think it's 'catacomb'....)
    And why Federica might this be so fun for Tom? :dunce:
    because you're not in an English-speaking environment, and you're already dealing with a 'Farang' element. So this might prove a bit challenging for them....?