Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Five aggregates of clinging (pancca upadana skandha)

upekkaupekka Veteran
edited March 2012 in Philosophy
Form, Feeling, Perception, Volitional activities and Consciousness

what do we know about these things?

not that what we have read about these things so far, but what exactly we know? with our own experience?

shall we start with Form and then go for others one by one

what do you mean by Form exactly in your own words?

Comments

• Form are the 4 great elements and the form dependent upon the 4 great elements.

It is that which is comprised of motion/energy, solidity, fluidity, and heat

Your body and breath are form.
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    Form stands for the body. However, it is -in my experience- not possible to fully distinguish the body from the mind; they are linked. This is true for all aggregates; you can't see them as separate things. So one can not see the aggregates as classifications, it's better to say they are descriptions of experience.

Don't know if this is in agreement with the sutta's, but this is how I see it because I've never had an experience that fits into just one of the aggregates.

With lotsa metta,
    Sabre
  • @sabre is correct, the Buddha explains that the aggregates are mutually dependent upon oneanother. Form cannot exist without the existence of consciousness and vice-versa.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    i just thought form was every perceived tangible phenomena....hmmm... seems i have to narrow my view and re-do my homework......
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    i just thought form was every perceived tangible phenomena....hmmm... seems i have to narrow my view and re-do my homework......
    This falls under consciousness. But again, its just descriptive.
  • ToshTosh Veteran
    Good post!

What about 'feeling'? I know it's one of the traditional 52 Mental Factors and one of the six ever present mental factors. I know when I'm conscious, I feel. I know my feelings change regularly and constantly throughout the day. I know my feelings can create intentions; for example, I feel hungry and I create an intention to eat.

Are we looking for our 'I' in the aggregates, or is this beyond the scope of this post.
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    Form, all physical things. Which would include the soil, your car, the planets and stars, your neighbors body in a bikini and the bikini itself, your body and it's dirty underwear. :) All physical things.
  • misecmisc1misecmisc1 I am a Hindu India Veteran
    From my understanding of Buddha's teaching, Form is matter. So anything having matter is having form.
  • edited March 2012
    So one can not see the aggregates as classifications, it's better to say they are descriptions of experience.

Don't know if this is in agreement with the sutta's, but this is how I see it because I've never had an experience that fits into just one of the aggregates.
    consciousness experiences everything, which does not necessarily infer the five aggregates are not different elements/phenomena of nature

the teachings say the five aggregates are to be comprehended. if there has never been an experience that fits into just one of the aggregates then practise has not been developed enough

"form" is "rupa". "rupa" means "that which will be broken" (ruppati). thus form is matter

the difference between "form" and mental aggregates is easily observable. take a suspected enlightened being. it is observable their mind in many faculties does not change. their wisdom, liberation & lucidity of mind does not change. but their body changes. if their body changes significantly, ie, neurologically, they can lose their mental faculties

but when body does not break, mind does not break. example, brain injury in accidents can cause mental faculties to stop working

:)
    And why do you call it 'form' (rupa)? Because it is afflicted (ruppati) thus it is called 'form.' Afflicted with what? With cold & heat & hunger & thirst, with the touch of flies, mosquitoes, wind, sun, & reptiles. Because it is afflicted, it is called form.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn22/sn22.079.than.html

• edited March 2012
    Are we looking for our 'I' in the aggregates, or is this beyond the scope of this post.
    We are looking for the aggregates in the aggregates, as taught:
    Herein (in this teaching) a monk lives contemplating the body in the body, ardent, clearly comprehending and mindful, having overcome, in this world, covetousness and grief; he lives contemplating feelings in feelings, ardent, clearly comprehending and mindful, having overcome, in this world, covetousness and grief; he lives contemplating mental qualities in mental qualities, ardent, clearly comprehending and mindful, having overcome, in this world, covetousness and grief; he lives contemplating dhammas in dhammas, ardent, clearly comprehending and mindful, having overcome, in this world, covetousness and grief.

Anapanasati Sutta
    for example, observe your finger. can any "self" be seen in the finger? or is it just flesh upon flesh, matter upon matter, cells upon cells?

thus we start with the grossest aggregate, i.e., the body/breath, as object of internal scientific spiritual research

each aggregate is observed until only aggregate can be seen (and until the "self" becomes isolated in one of the aggregates until seen for what it really is)

• IñigoIñigo Explorer
    edited March 2012
    ... take a suspected enlightened being. it is observable their mind in many faculties does not change. their wisdom, liberation & lucidity of mind does not change. but their body changes. if their body changes significantly, ie, neurologically, they can lose their mental faculties

Hi
    Just a small question please. Is there anything which is not subject to change in Buddhism? My current understanding is that everything is subject to change?

Except perhaps Nirvanna ("I am awakened").
  • edited March 2012
    Just a small question please. Is there anything which is not subject to change in Buddhism? My current understanding is that everything is subject to change? Except perhaps Nirvanna ("I am awakened").
    hi Iñigo

yes, correct. all conditioned things are subject to change but the unconditioned Nirvana & the fully awakened mind are not subject to change (until the body of the fully enlightened mind ends)

thus the scriptures say:
    Then, friend Yamaka, how would you answer if you are thus asked: "A monk, a worthy one [fully enlightened], with no more mental effluents: what is he on the break-up of the body, after death?"

Thus asked, I would answer: "Form is inconstant... Feeling... Perception... Fabrications... Consciousness is inconstant. That which is inconstant is unsatisfactory. That which is unsatisfactory has ceased and gone to its end."

Very good, my friend Yamaka. Very good

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn22/sn22.085.than.html

• IñigoIñigo Explorer
    Thanks WallyB
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited March 2012
    consciousness experiences everything, which does not necessarily infer the five aggregates are not different elements/phenomena of nature

the teachings say the five aggregates are to be comprehended. if there has never been an experience that fits into just one of the aggregates then practise has not been developed enough

"form" is "rupa". "rupa" means "that which will be broken" (ruppati). thus form is matter

the difference between "form" and mental aggregates is easily observable. take a suspected enlightened being. it is observable their mind in many faculties does not change. their wisdom, liberation & lucidity of mind does not change. but their body changes. if their body changes significantly, ie, neurologically, they can lose their mental faculties

but when body does not break, mind does not break. example, brain injury in accidents can cause mental faculties to stop working

And why do you call it 'form' (rupa)? Because it is afflicted (ruppati) thus it is called 'form.' Afflicted with what? With cold & heat & hunger & thirst, with the touch of flies, mosquitoes, wind, sun, & reptiles. Because it is afflicted, it is called form.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn22/sn22.079.than.html

There is not just one consciousness that experiences everything. Better to say experiences fit into types of consciousness (mind, touch, eye, nose, mouth, ear). It is possible to have experiences where some of these consciousnesses have disappeared, for example, in meditation sound may disappear, and the body may disappear etc. You can even have only mind-consciousness without any other type of consciousness. But then there are still other aggregates, for example fabrications. Thus you can't say there exists a seperate consciousness, consciousness is always together with an object it is conscious off. To not dive into just suttas, could you try to tell me any experience you had of just one aggregate?

So, you can't experience the body without consciousness of the body. Therefore it is not possible to say body exists independent of consciousness. Form is dependent on consciousness also if we look at the words on Dependent Origination. Of course, when one is dead, there is still a body, but it is useless to call that an aggregate because there is no person there anymore.

The thing that is to be comprehended about the five aggregates is not their seperability, but the fact that there is nothing outside of these aggregates. There is no self in or outside of them, this is the important thing.

Also I agree with @Iñigo that an enlightened beings mind also changes. They still have thoughts, change in experience, change in knowledge etc. Wisdom and liberations are not aggregates, but results of the path, thus not comparable.
  • IñigoIñigo Explorer
    edited March 2012
    Hi Saber, WallyB
    Regarding Saber's last paragraph. I had assumed that WallyB was using the analogy of 'mind and wisdom' to show the impermancne of the agregates in comparison to something which most of us feel is permanent i.e. mind. WallyB's reply confirmed my doubts that all is subject to change, including mind. I read the document WallyB quoted and found it most helpful (Thanks again!), here is what I found specificially helpful in that document (I hope it serves others as well):

"Then, friend Yamaka, how would you answer if you are thus asked: A monk, a worthy one, with no more mental effluents: what is he on the break-up of the body, after death?"

"Thus asked, I would answer, 'Form is inconstant... Feeling... Perception... Fabrications... Consciousness is inconstant. That which is inconstant is stressful. That which is stressful has ceased and gone to its end."

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn22/sn22.085.than.html
    Basically (and my explanation will not do justice to the original text), we are not able to grasp what we are unless we can first grasp what we are not. It is as if the mind cannot grasp its own dissolution. There is something about the text which provides the buddhist answer without actually putting it into words. :)

PS: not wishing to enter debate, but I would not distinguish normal mind from "enlighten mind" mentioned above, but I think I get WallyB's point. At this point words start to fail us.
  • Lama Surya Das:

http://www.dzogchen.org/teachings/talks/dtalk-95may22.html

I think this five skandha scheme is a very interesting one, in the sense that it can begin to
    raise some very interesting questions and help us dig deeper, rather than just having a
    vague, amorphous kind of understanding. We are individual. We are each responsible for
    ourselves and our karma and our relations. Our individuality is comprised of these five
    aggregates or skandhas. We can work with that. It is actually an expression of the Buddhanature.

Now, doesn't anybody want to say, "I didn't hear anything about Buddha-nature in the five skandhas. Where's the Buddha-nature? Who made that up?" That's the right question. What Buddha-nature? I never said anything about it. Who made that up? What enlightenment? What nirvana? Who made all that stuff up? Is it in us or elsewhere? How to get from "here" to "there"?
    We're all looking for something to hang our hopes on, but when we really get down to the present moment, to our own experience, to clear seeing, we come to what Buddha said: "In hearing there is only hearing; no one hearing and nothing heard." There is just that moment, that hearing. You might think, "Oh, a beautiful bird." How do you know it's a bird? It might be a tape recorder. It might be bicycle brakes squeaking. In the first moment, there is just hearing, then we get busy, our minds and concepts get involved. The Buddha went through all the five senses. "In seeing there is just seeing; no one seeing and nothing seen." And so on, with tasting, touching, smelling, and thinking. Thoughts without a thinker. In thinking there is just thinking. There is just that momentary process. There is no thinker. The notion of an inner thinker is just a thought. We imagine that there is somebody thinking. It's like the Wizard of Oz. They thought there was this glorious wizard, but it was just a little man back there behind the screen, behind the veil. That's how it is with the ego. We think there's a great big monkey inside working the five windows, the five senses. Or maybe five monkeys, one for each sense; a whole chattering monkey house, which it sometimes feels like. But is there really a concrete individual or permanent soul inside at all? It seems more like that the lights are on, but no one is home!

Buddha (Shurangama Sutra):
    "Ananda, you have not yet understood that all the defiling objects that appear, all the
    illusory, ephemeral phenomena, spring up in the very spot where they also come to an end. Their phenomena aspects are illusory and false, but their nature is in truth the bright
    substance of wonderful enlightenment. Thus it is throughout, up to the five skandhas and the six entrances, to the twelve places and the eighteen realms; the union and mixture of various causes and conditions account for their illusory and false existence, and the separation and dispersion of the causes and conditions result in their illusory and false extinction. Who would have thought that production and extinction, coming and going are fundamentally the eternal wonderful light of the Tathagata, the unmoving, all-pervading perfection, the wonderful nature of True Suchness! If within the true and eternal nature one seeks coming and going, confusion and enlightenment, or birth and death, one will never find them."
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Form, all physical things. Which would include the soil, your car, the planets and stars, your neighbors body in a bikini and the bikini itself, your body and it's dirty underwear. All physical things.
    From my understanding of Buddha's teaching, Form is matter. So anything having matter is having form.
    so...... I'm correct then....?

• SabreSabre Veteran
    edited March 2012
    The point the aggregates were mentioned by the buddha is to show that there is no self, no me or I in them. It is so obvious there is no 'I' in mountains, cars, bikini's or whatever, so therefore I think those are not included in the aggregate of form.

Also:
    "'From consciousness as a requisite condition comes name-and-form.' Thus it has been said. And this is the way to understand how from consciousness as a requisite condition comes name-and-form. If consciousness were not to descend into the mother's womb, would name-and-form take shape in the womb?"

"No, lord."
    http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/dn/dn.15.0.than.html
    It would be strange for all form to take shape in the womb... A mountain wouldn't even fit. :D Maybe I confuse name-and-form with form and those terms mean something entirely different; my knowledge of pali is not big enough to say. I admit one could also defend form refers all physical matter; there may even be quotes in the sutta to support this. However, this thread has a focus on personal experience of the aggregates and I liked that approach. So that's how I answered - it's not about right or wrong here. For me the most logical way to experience 'form' is experienced as the body. For others, maybe not.

Anyway, to try and fit things into certain aggregates is not really what matters if you see the aggregates just as clumps of experience, not as real objects. As I said, I did not know if this was supported by anything, but because of Talismans confirmation, I started looking and this is what I found:

We can think of them as piles of bricks we carry on our shoulders. However, these piles are best understood, not as objects, but as activities, for an important passage (§7) defines them in terms of their functions.
    http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/study/khandha.html
    In all this we have to take into account that theoretical knowledge and practical experience are two different things. The second is much more useful than the other. So try to answer, can you actually grab or experience an aggregate? And show: THIS is an aggregate. I don't think so and that's why they are just descriptions (piles) of activities/experience to me. So they don't define what you are, but describe what you are NOT.

Think this quote from the above article is also nice:

In fact, it [the pali canon] never quotes him [the Buddha] as trying to define what a person is at all. Instead, it quotes him as saying that to define yourself in any way is to limit yourself, and that the question, "What am I?" is best ignored.
    ----

To go into tactile sensations, I see it mainly as body-consciousness. Of course a part of it is also form; without a physical nerve system, there would be no tactile sensations. But again, the aggregates are just a soup of things, not clear to distinguish one from the other.
    Consciousness. "And what is consciousness? These six bodies of consciousness: eye-consciousness, ear-consciousness, nose-consciousness, tongue-consciousness, body-consciousness, intellect-consciousness. This is called consciousness."
    "Doesn't body-consciousness arise in dependence on the body & tactile sensations?"

"Yes, friend."
    http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn35/sn35.193.than.html

OK, I tried to say too much in one reply. Hope it is still useful for anyone..

• seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    The point the aggregates were mentioned by the buddha is to show that there is no self, no me or I in them. It is so obvious there is no 'I' in mountains, cars, bikini's or whatever, so therefore I think those are not included in the aggregate of form.

As I understand it, there are 2 main groups of "Form". External and Internal. External would be the car, a lake, the ocean, etc. Internal would obviously mean the body and it's parts.

"And what is the form clinging-aggregate? The four great existents and the form derived from them. And what are the four great existents? The earth property, the liquid property, the fire property, & the wind property.".....

"And what is the earth property? The earth property can be either internal or external. Which is the internal earth property? Whatever internal, within oneself, is hard, solid, & sustained [by craving]: head hairs, body hairs, nails, teeth, skin, flesh, tendons, bones, bone marrow, kidneys, heart, liver, pleura, spleen, lungs, large intestines, small intestines, contents of the stomach, feces, or whatever else internal, within oneself, is hard, solid, & sustained: This is called the internal earth property. Now both the internal earth property and the external earth property are simply earth property."...

"Now there comes a time, friends, when the external liquid property is provoked, and at that time the external earth property vanishes. So when even in the external earth property — so vast — inconstancy will be discerned, destructibility will be discerned, a tendency to decay will be discerned, changeability will be discerned,

""And what is the liquid property? The liquid property may be either internal or external. What is the internal liquid property? Whatever internal, belonging to oneself, is liquid, watery, & sustained: bile, phlegm, pus, blood, sweat, fat, tears, skin-oil, saliva, mucus, fluid in the joints, urine, or whatever else internal, within oneself, is liquid, watery, & sustained: This is called the internal liquid property. Now both the internal liquid property and the external liquid property are simply liquid property.

"Now there comes a time, friends, when the external liquid property is provoked and washes away village, town, city, district, & country. There comes a time when the water in the great ocean drops down one hundred leagues, two hundred... three hundred... four hundred... five hundred... six hundred... seven hundred leagues. There comes a time when the water in the great ocean stands seven palm-trees deep, six... five... four... three... two palm-trees deep, one palm-tree deep. There comes a time when the water in the great ocean stands seven fathoms deep, six... five... four... three... two fathoms deep, one fathom deep. There comes a time when the water in the great ocean stands half a fathom deep, hip-deep, knee-deep, ankle deep. There comes a time when the water in the great ocean is not even the depth of the first joint of a finger.

"So when even in the external liquid property — so vast — inconstancy will be discerned, destructibility will be discerned, a tendency to decay will be discerned, changeability will be discerned,"

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/mn/mn.028.than.html
    Above he is talking about the liquid property of the form aggregate, washing away a village or town. So it appears to me that a lake would also be included in the form aggregate, it is just of the external kind.

However, this is what I pulled off wikipedia, which makes me think that it's a little more subtle than just "a lake". But rather "a lake" in the context of it washing away you and your village, or something like that thereby teaching you about inconstancy, impermanence, destructibility, etc.
    Sensory qualities, not substances
    Rūpa (matter) means both materiality and sensibility—it signifies, for example, a tactile object both insofar as that object is tactile and that it can be sensed. Rūpa is never a materiality which can be separated or isolated from cognizance; such a non-empirical category is incongruous in the context of early Buddhism. Rūpa is not a substratum or substance which has sensibility as a property. It functions in early Buddhist thought as perceivable physicality. Matter, or rūpa, is defined in terms of its function; what it does, not what it is. As such, the four great elements are conceptual abstractions drawn from the sensorium. They are sensorial typologies, and are not metaphysically materialistic. They are not meant to give an account of matter as constitutive of external, mind-independent reality.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mahābhūta
    What I want to know is "What does @upekka think?! :)
  • edited March 2012
    ...could you try to tell me any experience you had of just one aggregate?....
    i was not referring to one aggregate functioning. as i said, all aggregates are experienced via consciousness. but this does not mean the consciousness functioning taints the experience of the other aggregates. consciousness is like a mirror. when the form of the body is reflected in a clear mirror the body is clearly seen because a mirror merely reflects. similarly, when meditation is clear, each aggregate is seen clearly as that aggregate

• SabreSabre Veteran
    edited March 2012
    @WallyB

Thanks for clarifying! :)

I see aggregates as not separate because there is always at least consciousness of something else. (consciousness of the body, but also consciousness of the mind activities - fabrications for example). Therefore you can't have one aggregate separate; consciousness arises as a result of others. And in term others also arise as a result of consciousness.

You see them as separate, because a consciousness is just a mirror reflecting. I can also agree on this with the explanation you just gave.

I guess it just depends on how we relate to them. In the end the idea of aggregates is still just only a thought fabricated in the mind and however we try to put them, words never quite hit the spot.

But however we see them, I guess this is the most important quote in this thread:
    'Form is inconstant... Feeling... Perception... Fabrications... Consciousness is inconstant. That which is inconstant is stressful. That which is stressful has ceased and gone to its end."
    With metta,
    Sabre
  • edited March 2012
    the aggregates certainly seem distinct & separate things. for example, consciousness aggregate ceased for most a nights sleep or when one is in a coma

• SabreSabre Veteran
    edited March 2012
    Yes. But when there is consciousness, is it alone, separate? Or is there another aggregate? Even in jhana states there are fabrications.

I bring this up because a lot of people -I'm not saying you (or anybody else in particular)- have the idea of some sort of consciousness apart from the rest of experience. But consciousness is always in relation to what it is conscious off. That's why there are six types of consciousness, one for each sense. Also, you can't have eye consciousness without mind consciousness following it to notify that there was sight. Same for the other 5 bodily senses.

This is what I mean with unseparate. Not that consciousness and its object are the same thing, but they are dependent on one another.

Maybe the wording not separate is inadequate to explain what I mean.

• edited March 2012
    Wisdom and liberations are not aggregates, but results of the path, thus not comparable.
    liberations may not be aggregates but is it certain wisdom is not related to an aggregate? there is magga (path), phala (fruit) and Nibbana. I sense only Nibbana is not related to an aggregate. for example, there are five spiritual faculties. surely these are nama (mental) dhammas & thus related to aggregates
    Monks, there are these five faculties. Which five? The faculty of conviction, the faculty of persistence, the faculty of mindfulness, the faculty of concentration, the faculty of discernment (wisdom).

SN 48.10
    Discernment (wisdom) & consciousness, friend: Of these qualities that are conjoined, not disjoined, discernment is to be developed, consciousness is to be fully comprehended.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/mn/mn.043.than.html
    Monks, among all things conditioned, the Noble Eightfold Path is reckoned to be the best of them all.

http://www.bps.lk/olib/wh/wh155.pdf
    the result of wisdom is dispassion (the end of craving). this is the unconditioned Nibbana because it is the "unborn" or "uncreated"
    Monks, among things conditioned and unconditioned, dispassion is reckoned to be the best of them all: the crushing of all infatuation, the removal of thirst, the uprooting of attachment, the cutting off of the round, the destruction of craving, dispassion, Nibbāna

http://www.bps.lk/olib/wh/wh155.pdf
    but the wisdom of an arahant is ultimately impermanent because it ends when the body of the arahant ends. the wisdom is only permanent whilst the arahant is alive. if the wisdom (knowledge) of truth is gone, it is gone
    Sariputta, even if you have to carry me about on a bed, still there will be no change in the lucidity of the Tathagata's wisdom.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/mn/mn.012.ntbb.html

• SabreSabre Veteran
    edited March 2012
    Wisdom and liberations are not aggregates, but results of the path, thus not comparable.
    liberations may not be aggregates but is it certain wisdom is not related to an aggregate? there is magga (path), phala (fruit) and Nibbana. I sense only Nibbana is not related to an aggregate. for example, there are five spiritual faculties. surely these are nama (mental) dhammas & thus related to aggregates
    One can say nirvana is exactly the same as liberation, or that liberation is the personal aspect of nirvana. But again this is all just words that can never fully describe what we mean. Even the Buddha could not put nirvana into words.

Also, after enlightenment an arahant can still learn new things, not for his own enlightenment, but for example about the suffering of others. I remember it was Ajahn Chah who supposedly said he learned more from teaching others than from his own meditation. Is this than defined as wisdom that changes, or is it knowledge? Again, depends on how we define wisdom. So does an enlightened mind change? Yes and no I guess is the best answer. It depends on how we see it.

I feel that most discussion here is just a play of words. Some words may be closer to the truth than others, but they will always miss. So is this discussion very fruitful? Maybe not so much. The essay I quoted before here ends with a paragraph on this:
    This shows again the importance of bringing the right questions to the teachings on the khandhas. If you use them to define what you are as a person, you tie yourself down to no purpose. The questions keep piling on. But if you use them to put an end to suffering, your questions fall away and you're free. You never again cling to the khandhas and no longer need to use them to end your self-created suffering. As long as you're still alive, you can employ the khandhas as needed for whatever skillful uses you see fit. After that, you're liberated from all uses and needs, including the need to find words to describe that freedom to yourself or to anyone else.
  • edited March 2012
    One can say nirvana is exactly the same as liberation..
    this was said. but it was also said wisdom is not of the aggregrates where as it seems wisdom is something developed by a faculty of sankhara (formations) aggregate, which modifies the sanna (perception) aggregate
    Even the Buddha could not put nirvana into words...
    the Buddha certainly put Nirvana into words, describing it as the end of greed, hatred & delusion
    I remember it was Ajahn Chah who supposedly said he learned more from teaching others than from his own meditation. ...
    did you personally know Ajahn Chah?
    Is this than defined as wisdom that changes, or is it knowledge?...
    Ajahn Chah could not have been referring to insight into emptiness. He was probably referring to worldly wisdom, such as understanding people, which is also necessary for full enlightenment but not the essential wisdom for ending suffering
    So does an enlightened mind change?...
    the scripture was already quoted. the wisdom & lucidity of a fully enlightened buddha does not change
    I feel that most discussion here is just a play of words.?...
    you may be playing with words & scripture but not myself.

• "'From consciousness as a requisite condition comes name-and-form.' Thus it has been said. And this is the way to understand how from consciousness as a requisite condition comes name-and-form. If consciousness were not to descend into the mother's womb, would name-and-form take shape in the womb?"

"No, lord."
    http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/dn/dn.15.0.than.html
    It would be strange for all form to take shape in the womb...
    why mention this sutta. following the Great Standards established by Buddha, this sutta is to be dismissed as Buddha Vaca (words of Buddha). Buddha taught of a six-fold consciousness in all suttas except this one. :mullet:
  • edited March 2012
    As I understand it, there are 2 main groups of "Form". External and Internal. External would be the car, a lake, the ocean, etc. Internal would obviously mean the body and it's parts.
    it seems that way. the scriptures refer to 'external' and 'internal' aggregates & sense bases

mountains, cars, bikini's or whatever, so therefore I think those are included in the aggregate of form :)
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited March 2012
    One can say nirvana is exactly the same as liberation..
    this was said. but it was also said wisdom is not of the aggregrates where as it seems wisdom is something developed by a faculty of sankhara (formations) aggregate, which modifies the sanna (perception) aggregate
    Even the Buddha could not put nirvana into words...
    the Buddha certainly put Nirvana into words, describing it as the end of greed, hatred & delusion
    I remember it was Ajahn Chah who supposedly said he learned more from teaching others than from his own meditation. ...
    did you personally know Ajahn Chah?
    Is this than defined as wisdom that changes, or is it knowledge?...
    Ajahn Chah could not have been referring to insight into emptiness. He was probably referring to worldly wisdom, such as understanding people, which is also necessary for full enlightenment but not the essential wisdom for ending suffering
    So does an enlightened mind change?...
    the scripture was already quoted. the wisdom & lucidity of a fully enlightened buddha does not change
    I feel that most discussion here is just a play of words.?...
    you may be playing with words but not myself. possibly you simply need to acknowledge some of your personal opinions about dhamma do not conform with the recorded scriptures (rather than incessantly making these relentless replies of yours. lol, no one is perfect, except for buddhas)

I tried to skilfully steer this discussion where there is specifically asked for
    "not that what we have read about these things so far, but what exactly we know? with our own experience?"
    away from just mere suttas quoting to make a point; By saying words can't describe I hoped to have a link back to personal experience. If you see that as "incessantly making these relentless replies of yours", that's your projection of me trying to evade admitting I'm wrong; which was not my intention. I would be glad to be able to admit I'm wrong, that means I've learned something new. Which I didn't, because sutta's don't make (or break) a point here.

Maybe you should reconsider what is the use of a discussion. Is it just trying to "win" it by proving my ideas may be not in accordance with the recorded scriptuers or is it helping others get new ideas or new ways of looking? Don't let the suttas become the point of the discussion, because that is not getting anyone any further.

I suggest to get back to the topic, but I think it is wise for me not to go into detail on the things you just said.

With metta,
    Sabre
  • upekkaupekka Veteran

thank you all
    Form are the 4 great elements and the form dependent upon the 4 great elements.

It is that which is comprised of motion/energy, solidity, fluidity, and heat

Your body and breath are form.
    eye (a part of the body) is form and a shape and colour that eye can see is form
    ear (a part of the body) is form and sound that ear can hear is form
    nose and smell are form
    tongue and taste are form
    the whole body and any tactile are form

have you ever think about the shape, colour, sound, taste, smell and tactile as form?

if not just pay attention and see how we can put them as form

thanks

• edited March 2012
    I think it is wise for me not to go into detail on the things you just said.
    indeed. it is certainly wise to not post more of your personal opinions as though they are facts & what the buddha taught because they will inevitably be refuted one by one

it is wiser to simply say: "my personal opinion is....." or say: "my personal understanding of dhamma is...." :)

• edited March 2012
    for example to say: "Even the Buddha could not put nirvana into words..." is obviously false. why assert such obvious falsehoods given the scriptures show Buddha described Nirvana in words many times.
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited March 2012
    I think it is wise for me not to go into detail on the things you just said.
    indeed. it is certainly wise to not post more of your personal opinions as though they are facts & what the buddha taught because they will inevitably be refuted one by one

it is wiser to simply say: "my personal opinion is....." or say: "my personal understanding of dhamma is...." :)

Ow please..

Just some parts of my posts:
    -in my experience-

I've never had an experience that ....

It is possible to have experiences where

I think those

Maybe I confuse

I admit one could also defend ... there may even be quotes in the sutta to support this. However, this thread has a focus on personal experience of the aggregates and I liked that approach. So that's how I answered - it's not about right or wrong here.

I don't think so and that's why they are just descriptions (piles) of activities/experience to me.

I see

I guess

what I mean.
    I think that's more ontopic than: "as taught", "the teachings say", "thus the scriptures say:"

But ok, you win. I'm out of here. At least this is teaching me about the aggregate of annoyance. :)
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    I forgot to add:

With metta,
    Sabre :)
  • edited March 2012
    ok, thank you for the metta radiation, but back to topic...
    So, you can't experience the body without consciousness of the body. Therefore it is not possible to say body exists independent of consciousness. Form is.
    imo, the inseparability of nama-rupa (mind-body) & vinnana (consciousness) was taught so a reincarnation theory (such as DN 15) could not be manufactured from these dhammas

what do we think?

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn12/sn12.067.than.html

• edited March 2012
    Form, Feeling, Perception, Volitional activities and Consciousness

I've been thinking about these for a long time, and personally I don't find them a particularly useful way of classifying experience.

For me the point is that our experiences are all dependently arisen and impermanent, and that clinging to them leads to suffering.

Spiny
  • That's why there are six types of consciousness, one for each sense. Maybe the wording not separate is inadequate to explain what I mean.
    Yes, that's true for Theravada, but didn't the Mayahana add a 7th and 8th consciousness?

Spiny

• SabreSabre Veteran
    That's why there are six types of consciousness, one for each sense. Maybe the wording not separate is inadequate to explain what I mean.
    Yes, that's true for Theravada, but didn't the Mayahana add a 7th and 8th consciousness?

Spiny

Could well be. I try not to follow a particular tradition in my reasoning. What I mainly meant is that there are six in my experience. The usual five and the consciousness of mind (thought, ideas, other mental things). I wonder what the other two could be. Could you specify?
  • IñigoIñigo Explorer
    edited March 2012
    .. back to topic...
    So, you can't experience the body without consciousness of the body. Therefore it is not possible to say body exists independent of consciousness. Form is.
    imo, the inseparability of nama-rupa (mind-body) & vinnana (consciousness) was taught so a reincarnation theory (such as DN 15) could not be manufactured from these dhammas

what do we think?

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn12/sn12.067.than.html

This is a good point, WallyB
    I agree with the point I feel you are making. It is a interesting paradox that the method serves to arive at the conclusion and an end to reincarnation (or samsara), but before then rebirth is taken as natural. However rebirth/reincarnation isn't itself refuted, but rather that which reincarnates is questioned and broken down until there is an "Unbinding in the here-&-now" (liberation whilst living).
  • That's why there are six types of consciousness, one for each sense. Maybe the wording not separate is inadequate to explain what I mean.

Spiny

Could well be. I try not to follow a particular tradition in my reasoning. What I mainly meant is that there are six in my experience. The usual five and the consciousness of mind (thought, ideas, other mental things). I wonder what the other two could be. Could you specify?
    Have a look here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eight_Consciousnesses
  • upekkaupekka Veteran

I've been thinking about these for a long time, and personally I don't find them a particularly useful way of classifying experience.

if you think they are not useful keep them aside but do not come to a conclusion and throw them away yet

For me the point is that our experiences are all dependently arisen and impermanent, and that clinging to them leads to suffering.

Spiny
    sure

you say 'clinging to our experience'
    from where do we get any experience without 'form, feeling, perception, volition and consciousness'
    if we do not know exactly what is 'form' how do we know we do knot clinging to form

same goes with the feeling, perception, volition and consciousness

that is reason for the OP

• misecmisc1misecmisc1 I am a Hindu India Veteran
    edited March 2012

if we do not know exactly what is 'form' how do we know we do knot clinging to form

@upekka: my understanding of Buddha's teachings: Form is matter. Our eyes are sense organs of body, so matter, so form. The object which our eyes perceive is also matter, so form. Now coming together of eye, object, attention towards object and light leads to arising of eye-consciousness. So eye-consciousness is the process of seeing. Now eye, object and eye-consciousness leads to arising of contact. From this contact, feeling arises which is based on our perception. Perception is the labelling of phenomena in our memory database like labelling a colour as red, green etc. So when we see a rose, eye-consciousness sees a rose but does not recognize it as a rose, it is perception which tells that the object being viewed is a rose, and perception knows it because we have labelled that flower object as rose in our mind which leads to it getting stored in our memory database. The same goes for other 5 sense organs. Volition is will or mental activity for an action, which generates karma. For example, attention, intention etc are volition.

• if we do not know exactly what is 'form' how do we know we do knot clinging to form

@upekka: my understanding of Buddha's teachings: Form is matter. Our eyes are sense organs of body, so matter, so form. The object which our eyes perceive is also matter, so form. Now coming together of eye, object, attention towards object and light leads to arising of eye-consciousness. So eye-consciousness is the process of seeing. Now eye, object and eye-consciousness leads to arising of contact. From this contact, feeling arises which is based on our perception. Perception is the labelling of phenomena in our memory database like labelling a colour as red, green etc. So when we see a rose, eye-consciousness sees a rose but does not recognize it as a rose, it is perception which tells that the object being viewed is a rose, and perception knows it because we have labelled that flower object as rose in our mind which leads to it getting stored in our memory database. The same goes for other 5 sense organs. Volition is will or mental activity for an action, which generates karma. For example, attention, intention etc are volition.
    Check this out:

http://awakeningtoreality.blogspot.com/2012/03/sun-that-never-sets.html?m=1
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited March 2012
    also interesting:

http://diydharma.org/five-aggregates-ajahn-brahmavamso

(Quickly browsed through it. It seems like he also interprets 'form' as referring (mainly) to the body.)
  • edited March 2012
    i found this explanation clear :)

• edited March 2012
    http://diydharma.org/five-aggregates-ajahn-brahmavamso
    i liked the initial point that as a monk he has five aggregates to worry about

but if you are married you have ten aggregates to worry about (or if you have a family, you have fifteen, twenty, twenty-five or thirty aggregates to worry about)

if you are a Mahayana Bodhisattva, you have 34,202,535,015 aggregates to worry about, based on the last World Bank count

• upekkaupekka Veteran

From this contact, feeling arises which is based on our perception.

are you sure about this?

Perception is the labelling of phenomena in our memory database like labelling a colour as red, green etc. So when we see a rose, eye-consciousness sees a rose but does not recognize it as a rose, it is perception which tells that the object being viewed is a rose, and perception knows it because we have labelled that flower object as rose in our mind which leads to it getting stored in our memory database.

above is correct, but does above need us to feel?
    or
    just the contact is enough for feeling?

(it is true Buddha's Teaching says that as soon as there is seeing (eyes see a rose) all five aggregates arise and in a split second all five aggregates fall, but if we try to see within ourselves whether that saying is true, we have to try it and see using our own eye)

and
    what do you feel when you see a rose (or any pleasant thing)
    have you tried it with the knowledge of Buddha's Teaching?

if we try this way, we ourselves could know what exactly mean by pleasant feeling/unpleasant feeling/ neither-pleasant-nor-unpleasant feeling

once we really grasp the feeling it is our own understanding
    not just someone's saying or something we read or something we think

• upekkaupekka Veteran

but if you are married you have ten aggregates to worry about (or if you have a family, you have fifteen, twenty, twenty-five or thirty aggregates to worry about)

if you are a Mahayana Bodhisattva, you have 34,202,535,015 aggregates to worry about, based on the last World Bank count

you have only five aggregates
    all others are external sense bases

• upekkaupekka Veteran

all external sense bases are form which consists earth, fire, water, and air
    all those form are in space
    all those form you know through your Consciousness

as soon as you see them or hear them you feel
    you may feel happy, unhappy or indifference

as soon as you see one form you may think that is my wife, my mum or my dad
    that is the perception

then you may want to say something to your mum
    or you may think you must do this and that with her
    that is Volition ( vacci sankhara -vitakka/viccara)

your eye is the Form
    your mum is the Form

happy/unhappy/indifference state of mind is the Feeling

you gave name to the form like my mum (you identify the form as my mum)
    that is Perception

• edited March 2012
    a parent, teacher & bodhisattva must concern themselves with the proper development of the five aggregates of those they take care of. right food, right exercise, right education, etc. what is cognised externally via the sense bases are also five aggregates

In this way he remains focused internally on the body in & of itself, or externally on the body in & of itself, or both internally & externally on the body in & of itself.

In this way he remains focused internally on feelings in & of themselves, or externally on feelings in & of themselves, or both internally & externally on feelings in & of themselves.

etc

MN 10
    The Blessed One said, "Now what, monks, are the five aggregates?

"Whatever form is past, future, or present; internal or external; blatant or subtle; common or sublime; far or near: That is called the form aggregate.

"Whatever feeling is past, future, or present; internal or external; blatant or subtle; common or sublime; far or near: That is called the feeling aggregate.

"Whatever perception is past, future, or present; internal or external; blatant or subtle; common or sublime; far or near: That is called the perception aggregate.

"Whatever (mental) fabrications are past, future, or present; internal or external; blatant or subtle; common or sublime; far or near: Those are called the fabrications aggregate.

"Whatever consciousness is past, future, or present; internal or external; blatant or subtle; common or sublime; far or near: That is called the consciousness aggregate.

"These are called the five aggregates.

etc

MN 10