Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Woah!

Me neither!

I've always wanted to be a tree...!
  • ZaylZayl Veteran
    I think I may try this.

I've always wanted an old fashioned Pyre, though.
  • B5CB5C Veteran
    edited March 2012
    I think I may try this.

I've always wanted an old fashioned Pyre, though.
    You should do the Viking Way:
  • DandelionDandelion London Veteran
    http://www.treehugger.com/sustainable-product-design/poetree-a-funeral-urn-that-lets-you-plant-a-tree-from-ashes.html

That's really rather lovely. I don't know if I want to be buried or cremated, but I do like the idea of the sea, personally.
  • ThailandTomThailandTom Veteran
    edited March 2012
    I don't really care what happens to my body when I am done with it. If any of my organs are good, I would like them to be placed for donation, but apart from that, meh. Parts of you probably do end up turning into parts of the landscape anyway.
  • ZaylZayl Veteran
    @B5C

Gods no, do you have any idea how expensive a viking ship is these days? :D

I was thinking of the traditional platform pyre in the middle of nowhere. Eventually the ashes would spread and fertilize the land anyway. I don't like contemporary cremation, it's too impersonal. They just zip you through an oven, deposit you in an urn, and hand you off. You only get to die once so I want it done my way, hehe.
  • I saw a dateline episode about funeral homes. You know that if you are obese, over a certain weight they will refuse to cremated you...I'm not kidding. It can cause some sort of 'grease' fire.
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    In Tibet they would do something called a sky burial. After you die they chop you up and throw your body parts out in an open burial area for this so the birds can have a munch (and maybe a Tibetan zombie (rolang) or two).
  • B5CB5C Veteran
    I saw a dateline episode about funeral homes. You know that if you are obese, over a certain weight they will refuse to cremated you...I'm not kidding. It can cause some sort of 'grease' fire.
    That I need to ask my uncle. He runs a funeral home. Interesting having Thanksgiving and Christmas at a funeral home.

• And look! You turned out so normal! Lol...ask if they have the double caskets for bigger people, too. I imagine how awesome it would have been growing up like that. . .
    I saw a dateline episode about funeral homes. You know that if you are obese, over a certain weight they will refuse to cremated you...I'm not kidding. It can cause some sort of 'grease' fire.
    That I need to ask my uncle. He runs a funeral home. Interesting having Thanksgiving and Christmas at a funeral home.

• Nice idea... I like it
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    hm... I was told the sky burials involved placing the deceased on a high platform. But it makes sense that above the tree line, that wouldn't be feasible. Cremation was practiced as well, though. In the film "Tibetan Book of the Dead" a cremation is shown. and preparation of the body for cremation.
  • GuiGui Veteran
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9ReDDDC0Rg

• Oh wow, here is something close to what I wanted but actually legal (I wanted to be put in a high tree in a national forest for the birds to peck away at). I also think it would make my family more comfortable, which is good.

Very nice idea, and feels natural
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    I meant to add that the Aleuts had sky burials. You can still see some of the platforms in the old villages.
  • I had this idea before I knew it was even a thing. Glad to know its legal.

Except, I want to be a fruit tree, like a peach tree or something.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    Except, I want to be a fruit tree, like a peach tree or something.
    You could leave instructions about that in your will.

• zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    Do you think this something that you bury on your own property? Or ask a cemetery if you can plant it there?

...What if you plant your loved one in your back yard and then move...?
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Does it matter?
    I mean, really..... think about it....

At best, you could use a large pot.... there you go......
  • lol, I still don't get it myself really, but to each their own. It just crosses my mind that well, you are dead.. Not exactly going to acknowledge being a small part of a tree, but if you could help people in need through organ donation, why not? That is if they are of any use by the time you die.
  • I like this tree idea I great deal! I would love a funeral pyre but it's not going to happen so a regular cremation is the easy answer and then my rels can do whatever with the ashes. For me it's not important, but for most people it is important to have a focus for their grief, so yeah, the tree idea......I will actually mention it to them. My partner wants his ashes scattered on a loch we used to take the boat out on so I'm going to do that if I outlive him. Yeah, time for me to make some plans I think ;)
  • tree idea is a great one! just heard about memorial tattoos but it seems this has been around for awhile - and uses a microscopic amount of "cremains".

http://www.wkyc.com/news/story.aspx?storyid=187615
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    Wouldn't using a regular pot cause the tree roots to become rootbound? I assume the urn they designed for this purpose is either delicate enough to break when the roots push it, or to biodegrade over time, as the roots grow. The literature said they were biodegradable.
  • I have organised for my funeral, remains etc. so that it will not be a burden for my children and loved ones - I have also told those who will be affected by my death that if there is something they want at the time, arrangements can always be changed ... I think the OP is an excellent option
  • When Bob Hope was dying, his children asked him where he wanted to be buried. His response, "I don't know- surprise me".
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    Wanda Sykes said that she would like her ashes spread over Halle Berry.

She said she envisioned Halle walking down the red carpet, the whole shebang, the media stops Halle and says, "Halley Berry! You look fabulous, who are you wearing!?"
    In the meantime, one of Wanda's friends comes in from left field, fistful of Wanda in her hand.
    "Wanda Sykes!" Her friend yells as she throws it on Halle Berry and runs away. :lol:
  • Or you could just do what Cartman does by mistake if you want a friend to live on inside you.. http://www.southparkstudios.com/clips/153664/chocolate-milk-mix
  • BonsaiDougBonsaiDoug Simply, on the path. Veteran
    I've left instructions to be cremated, and something "tasteful" done with the scattering of those ashes. I also have a small amount of my NA Sponsor's ashes which I would like mixed with mine prior to scattering.

Beyond that... I'm not sure I'll be in any condition where it will matter much. :D

Beyond that... I'm not sure I'll be in any condition where it will matter much. :D
    I just know that I would like my remains to have as little negative impact on the environment as possible. And of course, funerals... burial sites... these things are all for the living. I think many people feel it important to have a grave site or a place to visit to feel close to a loved one, at least during the mourning process. So I would like my funeral to be compassionate to those who miss me.

I've never actually visited any of my loved ones at their grave sites. I was extremely close to my grandmother, but I was only 14 when she died and couldn't drive... and everyone that did visit her, well, I figure they preferred to go alone. Somehow I never quite made it... but... I did look it up on the internet.

This website is exactly what it sounds like:
    http://www.findagrave.com/