Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What do you think Buddha looks like?

footiamfootiam Veteran
edited February 2012 in General Banter
Is he dark like some Indians, or fair and handsome like some Bollywood stars?

Comments

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    edited February 2012
    Gotta look like Shah Rukh Khan. :-)
  • I picture him as a white man, with brown hair and blue eyes, in his mid-30s with a mixed American midwest/midsouth accent.
    Inc88
  • You use the present tense so.........whatever you want.......... Buddha is in all of us.
  • I think like Neo from the matrix
  • I believe the traditional image of Buddha Shakyamuni is a plagiarism of the Greek God Apollo.
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    I remember this drawing @zombiegirl did a while back and had to go find it because I liked it so much.

son_of_dhammayamada
  • @zombiegirl is very creative.
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    I remember this drawing @zombiegirl did a while back and had to go find it because I liked it so much.
    @zombiegirl is very creative.
    :D
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Oh you guys.... sheesh.....! :screwy:

He's big, fat, round, with long earlobes, a big grin, bald and carries a sack!
    What the heck you guyz thinking of - ?!? :rolleyes:

:crazy:
  • OMG!! I didn't know ZG had such formidable artistic talent! I struggle just to draw stick figures! To @zombiegirl: :bowdown: :bowdown:
  • edited February 2012
    image After he died.
    image He turned into dirt.
    image A worm eats the dirt.
    imageBird eats worm.
    imageAnimal eats bird.
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    edited February 2012
    Oh you guys.... sheesh.....! :screwy:

He's big, fat, round, with long earlobes, a big grin, bald and carries a sack!
    What the heck you guyz thinking of - ?!? :rolleyes:

:crazy:
    This was actually in response to a post a member made many moons ago about I BELIEVE 'what your personal buddha looked like' or something along those lines. I didn't actually come up with the idea of that Buddha, but was inspired by a members description of what he liked to think a modern day buddha might look like. ( @person was that you? I'm afraid I cannot remember, but since you do, I think it could be... lol) I liked the idea that it's just a typical dude...

@Dakini Aw, thanks. :) I'm afraid I'm the starving artist sort though with no real vision. Every year or so I flit in between my life's aspiration being comic book artist and novelist... I'm currently in the novelist cycle and refuse to pick up drawing again until I finish the darn thing. (If I feel my creativity flowing towards another avenue, it's a death sentence for my novel and I am determined to at least finish one of these things.)

In retrospect, if I had known that this sketch would have been so memorable, I probably would have inked it, lol. But oh well, I like the roughness a little too.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited February 2012
    How do you get a job as a comicbook artist? Sounds like a good gig. Another would be: illustrator of Children's books.

P.S. The sneakers add the crowning touch, somehow. :)
  • @zombiegirl That drawing is stunning!
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    edited February 2012
    @Bekenze You forgot one :D

@zombiegirl No it wasn't me who had the idea, I just love the image.
    How do you get a job as a comicbook artist? Sounds like a good gig. Another would be: illustrator of Children's books.

P.S. The sneakers add the crowning touch, somehow. :)
    I've always just done webcomics. Some serious, some not so much... It's a difficult thing to actually get paid (something I never accomplished, haha), especially when you're in such a niche market like the ones I tend to gravitate to (lesbian romance/comedy, mostly). I know someone who actually made it work though, won some competition and got a grant to do her thing. But she still has a day job. *shrugs*

Other than that, illustration isn't really my thing. I like to tell stories (usually adult) and that's my main focus with either novels or comics... I just can never decide which medium I like better. Children's books don't really interest me in the same way, but I did make my niece the most awesome pirate map for Christmas. I 'aged' a piece of canvas and drew this semi-intricate map. She really ran with the idea and told ME a story about how we had to find the key to open the pirate chest, etc etc. Totally adorable.

@weighted Thank you, thank you! You guys are so great for my self esteem... :)
  • Gotta look like Shah Rukh Khan. :-)
    No wonder Buddha has such a big following. People are always attracted by looks!
  • I picture him as a white man, with brown hair and blue eyes, in his mid-30s with a mixed American midwest/midsouth accent.
    Mm... looks like the Americans are there in many New Worlds.
  • Buddha as in the prince who founded Buddhism, or buddhas who have awakened, or buddha-nature? I think the first choice of the prince probably looked like an Indian guy. Just shooting in the dark there.
  • You use the present tense so.........whatever you want.......... Buddha is in all of us.
    I like that idea. I heard a monk said that the devil is also in us.
  • I believe the traditional image of Buddha Shakyamuni is a plagiarism of the Greek God Apollo.
    Does that mean that Buddha does not look like Greeks?
  • image After he died.
    imageBird eats worm.
    imageAnimal eats bird.
    </blockquote
    That shouldn't be the case if you have been cremated.
  • image After he died.
    imageBird eats worm.
    imageAnimal eats bird.
    Good point, but also it looks as if Bekenze has furthered is creative productivity and has ventured into photography, the first one caught my attention. Was that your handwork? I mean the photo not the found dead remains, or maybe it could have been both :P
  • ginabginab Veteran
    Dust.
  • Dust.
    That means you see Buddha everywhere!
    lobster
  • like a dead guy

LOL LOL LOL
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    like a dead guy

LOL LOL LOL
    ha, this is what I was going to say.
    Are the Bollywood stars really all that fair and handsome, or is it make-up? We know he came from the Nepalese border area, from the warrior class. There are still Sakyas in Nepal. Anyone have any photos of Nepalese Sakya clan members?

• footiamfootiam Veteran
    like a dead guy

LOL LOL LOL
    Not the walking dead definitely!
  • In one of Charles Allen's books about India there is a photo of some "descendants" of the Sakyas. They look more oriental than Indian.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    ^^ My adopted son (who is Pakistani) and I often got into a friendly discussion of how Pakistanis should be classed. I said "Middle Eastern" (which isn't quite right) based on religion. He said "Asian" based on culture (which doesn't seem quite right, either).
  • "Whoever seeks me in form
    Or in sound
    Walks the heterodox path
    And cannot perceive the Tathagata"

- Lord Buddha
    Diamond Sutra
    seeker242
  • chanrattchanratt Veteran
    probably something like this......

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Almost certainly not...!
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited May 2012

"In one word,,,, be spacious" ~sogyal rinpoche in a dharma talk
  • footiamfootiam Veteran
    I think like Neo from the matrix
    Well, Neo was in the Little Buddha too!
  • footiamfootiam Veteran
    I believe the traditional image of Buddha Shakyamuni is a plagiarism of the Greek God Apollo.
    I think I have heard this - that before Buddhist did not use a statue to represent Buddha - footprint maybe - It's the Greek who gave Buddhist the idea, only thing is Buddhist make Buddha so big, some a few stories high!
  • Like Keanu Reeves did in (the movie) Little Buddha.... ;)

I thought he had the perfect demeanor and facial expression (peaceful, although some would say blank) as he portrayed the Buddha .
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    What do you think Buddha looks like?

Check your mirror!

There is also the historical 32 marks of the Buddha written by someone with way too much time on their hands.
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    Blue sparks the water, gently.
  • footiamfootiam Veteran
    Like Keanu Reeves did in (the movie) Little Buddha.... ;)

I thought he had the perfect demeanor and facial expression (peaceful, although some would say blank) as he portrayed the Buddha .
    Buddha must have many fans, gays included!
    MaryAnne
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    There is also the historical 32 marks of the Buddha...
    I wish I had some of those. :D
  • footiamfootiam Veteran
    Get yourself a tattoo!
  • footiamfootiam Veteran
    like a dead guy

LOL LOL LOL
    Some dead guys do not look dead.
  • BeejBeej Human Being Veteran
    The Buddha looks like the butterfly and everything that is not the butterfly.
  • I think that he looks feminine with an everlasting smile, but seeing this posts gives me different ideas.
  • Steve108Steve108 Explorer
    Looks like you, looks like me! We all have Buddha Nature, we are all enlightened. We just need to wake up!!

With metta _/|\_