Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Enlightenment of Laymen

edited April 2012 in Buddhism Basics
I know this topic has been talked about a lot of NewBuddhist, but I'd like to revive it without bumping an old thread.

Is enlightenment of a householder (laymen) possible, and once enlightened, would the householder live the same kind of lifestyle that they had before enlightenment (marriage, a job, kids, etc.)?

Comments

• personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    IMO taking monastic vows aren't a requirement but what is required is the type of retreat like isolation from external things so one can develop the internal concentration and meditative states necessary. So one could attain enlightenment as a householder if they could get away from it all.

As to if they would maintain the same life? Who knows, I don't imagine that they would hold the same kind of attraction that they did before but they still might engage in them for other reasons.
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited April 2012
    The pali canon mentiones lay people who got enlightened, BUT they all ordained within a week or so (or died before they could). Seeing how an enlightened being would have really no craving to live in the "lay world", this is -I think- quite logical.
  • Really depends on what vehicle of Buddhism we are talking about.

Different vehicles assert different things. In Mahayana the point is to integrate realization with life and society. So in that sense Mahayana was designed for the layperson.

But what is a layperson? Conditions and circumstances have changes such ideas. People these days are neither monks, nor lay people.

Some individuals have lots of time to do private retreats and such.

But in Mahayana it seems the living in the world is the hardest way to integrate life with Buddhism. In a way a Buddhism devoid of the real world is just another form of escapism.

Which is fine, but such expression of enlightenment isn't the Mahayana expression of it.

When it comes to Dzogchen the state of enlightenment is pointed out directly by the teacher and then practices are given to integrate the natural state with everything else.

So imho enlightenment is very possible for a lay person or rather any person who is sincere and willing to put their effort into Buddhism.

Jack Kornfield in his new book, Bringing home the dharma talks about this extensively.
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    Ta Hui (1088-1163) wrote to Hsu Tun-chi in part:

As a gentleman of affairs, your study of the Path differs greatly from mine as a homeleaver. Leavers of home do not serve their parents, and abandon all their relatives for good. With one jug and one bowl, in daily activities according to circumstances, there are not so many enemies to obstruct the Path. With one mind and one intent (homeleavers) just investigate this affair thoroughly. But when a gentleman of affairs opens his eyes and is mindful of what he sees, there is nothing that is not an enemy spirit blocking the Path. If he has wisdom, he makes his meditational effort right there. As Vimalakirti said, 'The companions of passion are the progenitors of the Tathagatas: I fear that people will destroy the worldly aspect to seek the real aspect.' ....

We leavers of home are on the outside breaking in; gentlemen of affairs are on the inside breaking out. The power of one on the outside breaking in is weak; the power of one on the inside breaking out is strong. "Strong" means that what is opposed is heavy, so in overturning it there is power. "Weak" means what is opposed is light, so in overturning it there is little power. Though there is strong and weak in terms of power, what is opposed is the same.

-- Swampland Flowers: The Letters and Lectures of Zen Master Ta Hui. Tr. Christoper Cleary
  • RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited April 2012
    Really depends on what vehicle of Buddhism we are talking about.

Absolutely. There is a tendency to look out from our silos and reduce Buddhism to our own tradition. It is such a deep given.. All traditions do it...

Here is a different perspective to get hackles up..

http://www.treeleaf.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=3927
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    edited April 2012
    there are plenty of people who get the stream entry done, and the higher vipassana path as well.

Every single teachers of Vipassana that are on the insight meditation society list
    http://www.dharma.org/
    (including people like Jack Kornfield) have to have second path at least.

You need to have second path done in order to teach Mahasi Vipassana...

this may not be the ultimate liberation, but at least people get something done and know what they are talking about, aren't "lost" anymore.
    all seem completely happy and satisfied with their path, what they did and how it affected their life.

Now some people don't "believe" in vipassana, as weird as this sounds, and refuse to acknowledge these things even tho they haven't took the time to get it done themselves and be able to have a informed opinion of it.
    (Never heard of anyone who got the stream entry done and then complain that it was not a significant thing, no matter what background or Buddhist school this person originally came from.)
    edited April 2012
    there are plenty of people who get the stream entry done, and the higher vipassana path as well.

Every single teachers of Vipassana that are on the insight meditation society list
    http://www.dharma.org/
    (including people like Jack Kornfield) have to have second path at least.

You need to have second path done in order to teach Mahasi Vipassana...

this may not be the ultimate liberation, but at least people get something done and know what they are talking about, aren't "lost" anymore.
    all seem completely happy and satisfied with their path, what they did and how it affected their life.

Now some people don't "believe" in vipassana, as weird as this sounds, and refuse to acknowledge these things even tho they haven't took the time to get it done themselves and be able to have a informed opinion of it.
    (Never heard of anyone who got the stream entry done and then complain that it was not a significant thing, no matter what background or Buddhist school this person originally came from.)

How does this schema apply to the common Zen statement that the "goal" of practice is not liberation from Samsara? ...but the direct immediate realization of "true nature" that includes both Nirvana and Samsara..?. I'm Theravadin enough to know friends who would say.. "That is not Buddhism" .. but it is.

This is what I mean by silos... the traditions of Buddhism each reducing all Buddhism to their own way. It happens in Zen too with Vipassana being demeaned as "polishing a brick".. like it is a very thick and stupid approach... for the dull.

.... I think the greatest respect we can pay to all Buddhism is to say.. "according the tradition I practice in......" Instead of saying all other traditions collapse into mine whether they know it or not.

What all the traditions have is common is practice NOW... I think we can all agree on that. That is how I have been been able to sit with both Theravadin and Zen groups on a regular basis with no problem.
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    edited April 2012

How does this schema apply to the common Zen statement that the "goal" of practice is not liberation from Samsara? ...but the direct immediate realization of "true nature" that includes both Nirvana and Samsara..?.
    yes, self realizations is great!
    end of suffering is the goal, and self-realization makes this much easier.
    the deeper insights we get into our true nature, the less delusion are affecting us.

How does this apply? i don't get your question. seems to be exactly the same from the way you phrased this.

The only difference i can see is that vipassana, at least some school of it, is more organized and mapped the progress on a technical level.
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    On this topic there are a lot of different opinions, within traditions and between traditions. Some people claim they are enlightened, but can still lie and have sex as a laymen. Some think an enlightened one has no choice but to ordain. Some people think enlightenment is temporal. Some think this, some think that.

Now, I think it is a bit strange to say the way a lay enlightened one behaves will depends on the vehicle we're talking about, because it's quite obvious we can't all be right on this point. And so I think it's fine to disagree. If there is no disagreement, there is no debate and nobody will learn anything.

However, I think that we should try to be a bit sensitive to other peoples views, especially on this board where all traditions are presented. So it's ok to have a particular view and defend that, but I don't think it is particularly wise to say it is weird when people don't agree with our tradition..

With metta,
    Sabre
  • I am not knowledgeable enough yet to comment, but do find this interesting! Would especially like to hear where Tibetan Buddhism (Gelug) stands on this.

Bookmarked :)
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    I am not knowledgeable enough yet to comment, but do find this interesting! Would especially like to hear where Tibetan Buddhism (Gelug) stands on this.

Bookmarked :)
    Plenty of Enlightened lay people Lamrim is a good system for this consider the example of Drontompa also there have been many examples of Enlightened Tantric lay practitioners.
  • Interesting, because you may have read that I decided to start attending my local Tibetan Buddhism temple, and on their schedule they have that they teach Lam Rim.
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    Interesting, because you may have read that I decided to start attending my local Tibetan Buddhism temple, and on their schedule they have that they teach Lam Rim.
    Dedicate yourself to Lamrim it is the essence of all of Buddha's Sutric teachings, When you understand and deeply take Lamrim practice to heart you will see its profundity. :)

• How does this schema apply to the common Zen statement that the "goal" of practice is not liberation from Samsara? ...but the direct immediate realization of "true nature" that includes both Nirvana and Samsara..?.
    yes, self realizations is great!
    end of suffering is the goal, and self-realization makes this much easier.
    the deeper insights we get into our true nature, the less delusion are affecting us.

How does this apply? i don't get your question. seems to be exactly the same from the way you phrased this.

The only difference i can see is that vipassana, at least some school of it, is more organized and mapped the progress on a technical level.

Great! it is the same.... Certainly it is the same when we sit together in silence!!
    edited April 2012

Now, I think it is a bit strange to say the way a lay enlightened one behaves will depends on the vehicle we're talking about, because it's quite obvious we can't all be right on this point. And so I think it's fine to disagree. If there is no disagreement, there is no debate and nobody will learn anything.

IMHO Individual character is there as long as we are alive... There may be different definitions of "Enlightenment" .. from the God-like to the very very ordinary..and.. "nothing special".. In my opinion the common thread is that you are no longer chasing your tail. You no longer have existential questions or confusion or doubt.. You still break a leg if you fall, but you don't shake your fist at the sky. You let go of things..... the person who insulted you yesterday is a fresh face today. You are "forgetful".. and spontaneous. When the person in front of you trips, your hands reach out to help...without so much as a thought. Maybe this is the very very ordinary version of "Enlightenment" or maybe it is just being "awake" right now.. But I just really believe it is unnecessary for people to feel remote.... unbinding is a heartbeat away... They don't need to sell themselves short.. We are all nearer than we think. IMHO.

• How can we be anywhere else than where we are? Enlightened or not, wherever you go- there you are.
  • ArthurbodhiArthurbodhi Mars Veteran
    Remember dhammapada 1. All states origin in mind.
    So if you are a layman you still can have a monk state of mind.

I like what Bhikkhu S. Dhammanika said about:

QUESTION: Do you have to be a monk or a nun to be enlightened?
    ANSWER: Of course not. Some of the Buddha’s most accomplished disciples were lay men and women. Some were spiritually developed enough to instruct the monks. In Buddhism, the level of one’s understanding is the most important thing and that has nothing to do with whether one wears a yellow robe or blue jeans, or whether one lives in a monastery or a home. Some might find the monastery, with all its advantages and disadvantages, to be the best environment in which to grow spiritually. Others may find the home, with all its joys and sorrows, to be best. Everyone is different.

Blessings.
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    IMHO Individual character is there as long as we are alive... There may be different definitions of "Enlightenment" .. from the God-like to the very very ordinary..and.. "nothing special".. In my opinion the common thread is that you are no longer chasing your tail. You no longer have existential questions or confusion or doubt.. You still break a leg if you fall, but you don't shake your fist at the sky. You let go of things..... the person who insulted you yesterday is a fresh face today. You are "forgetful".. and spontaneous. When the person in front of you trips, your hands reach out to help...without so much as a thought. Maybe this is the very very ordinary version of "Enlightenment" or maybe it is just being "awake" right now.. But I just really believe it is unnecessary for people to feel remote.... unbinding is a heartbeat away... They don't need to sell themselves short.. We are all nearer than we think. IMHO.

i like this.

i think the people who are looking for that complete mistical experiece, that "secret" technique, that will make life as if you were living in a cartoon world always end up dismissing the actual path and practice that would allow them to understand the world and free themselves.
    Remember dhammapada 1. All states origin in mind.
    So if you are a layman you still can have a monk state of mind.
    thats how i see things too.

would be nice to be able to go to university full time and concentrate on my studies, but i cant so i have to use my free time and vacation time.

still get things done ;)
  • xabirxabir Veteran
    edited April 2012

Different vehicles assert different things. In Mahayana the point is to integrate realization with life and society. So in that sense Mahayana was designed for the layperson.
    Yes, but I also think Theravada is no less for layman than it is for monks IMO.

Note: destroyed five lower bonds = anagami, dispelled doubts = stream entry and above

MN 73:

Other than bhikkhus, and bhikkhunis. Is there a single lay disciple of Gotama, who wearing white clothes had led the holy life, has destroyed the five lower bonds to the sensual world, and is born spontaneously, not to proceed?'

`Vaccha, not one, not one hundred, not two hundred, not three hundred, not four hundred, not five hundred. There are many more lay disciples of mine, who have destroyed the five lower bonds to the sensual world, and born spontaneously would not proceed,'

`Good, Gotama, wait! Other thanbhikkhus, bhikkhunis and lay disciples of Gotama, who wear white clothes and lead the holy life. Is there a single a lay disciple, who wears white clothes, leads the holy life, while partaking sensual pleasures, and doing the work in the dispensation has dispelled doubts. Has become confident of what should and should not be done, and does not need a teacher any more in the dispensation of the Teacher.

Vaccha, not one, not one hundred, not two hundred, not three hundred, not four hundred, not five hundred. There are many more lay disciples of mine, wearing white clothes leadingthe holy life, while partaking sensual pleasures and doing the work in the dispensation have dispelled doubts Have become confident of what should and should not be done and do not need a teacher any more'

• xabirxabir Veteran
    edited April 2012
    The pali canon mentiones lay people who got enlightened, BUT they all ordained within a week or so (or died before they could). Seeing how an enlightened being would have really no craving to live in the "lay world", this is -I think- quite logical.
    Yes, but there are plenty (hundreds to thousands) of arya/awakened lay practitioners in the Buddha's lifetime ranging from stream entry to non returner.

There is a curious note I found though: "But there is a list of 21 lay followers in AN 6.131 - 151 / 3:450 f; PTS ed AN 6.119-120 who attained full enlightenment. One is listed as a doctor, others as householders, so it does not appear they were all ascetics."

• zenffzenff Veteran
    In koan-literature (which of course is part of the Zen-tradition) this question, like any question about Enlightenment, is met with a lesson in immediate, spontaneous liberating action, crushing the questioner’s attachment to words, concepts and preferences.

The explanations are futile; but they are okay as a tool, as a means of keeping us going. They may get us to the point where we no longer need them and we can relax in the present moment without adding words concepts and preferences to what is naturally pure.
    (Or something like that; in my humble opinion; as I understand the Zen-tradition.)

In addition; even Buddha Sakyamuni must have had his daily practical concerns like finding a decent toilet, or removing food that got stuck between his teeth, and dealing with students who can be such a pain in the back.
    Life is life; it has its problems when you’re a layperson, when you’re a monk and even when you’re a Buddha.